test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Beta? Testing? Right?!

vierzweinullvierzweinull Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
BANHAMMER FALLS HEAVILY UPON NEVERWINTER:

This is a game declared to be in Open Beta. Bugs will exist - game breaking ones, we found out, but they will not wipe.
However, as it is declared to be in Open Beta, that means each and every one of us is a Beta Tester.
If we find an exploit or bug, it is our job as testers to find it, duplicate it, and report it.

What part of that did you miss, Cryptic?

I get that people who abused it should be banned, but that's only because you declared no wipe, but the automatic hammer falling upon everyone who made a negative trade, rather than investigating the accounts manually, has undoubtedly resulted in legitimate testers banned.

In no way am I suggesting we let people off the hook - but could you at least look into whether the to-be-banned account actually *did* anything with that fake currency? While I bet there's all of 2 people out there who were legitimately testing the bug and reported it, it seems like the "bug report" alone should absolve them of their "crime". I know most are trolls, but there are paying members too.

Since your support staff is -so- far behind maybe you should consider not making it impossible for legitimate testers to test your game; and maybe you should have an -exploit report- function specifically, so you can weed that out from the general bugs and maybe react faster than a week late.

AS OF THIS MOMENT< I WILL NOT REPORT ANY EXPLOITS I FIND, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT TREATING US LIKE BETA TESTERS, AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU UNTIL THEY TREAT US BETTER: specifically because to report an exploit is to get banned for using it, even unintentionally.

In all honesty, Cryptic, you should have just accepted that a wipe would be necessary -before- you went to Open Beta. Yes, you wanted money, and YES, you wanted players - but the easy way would have been to give them bonuses for the testing, and wipe nonetheless, specifically b/c you didn't test enough before you went to Open Beta. Step up, man up, and wipe your economy. Otherwise, you're still going to lose all your Zen to cheaters. :p
Post edited by vierzweinull on

Comments

• thelingarnthelingarn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you cleverly highlighting the fact that "Open Beta" isn't really a beta at all?

Or are you just coming to that realization, awakening with dread to the truth that has been lurking all along?
  • vernoinferno71vernoinferno71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    What do you burn, apart from witches?
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    BANHAMMER FALLS HEAVILY UPON NEVERWINTER:

This is a game declared to be in Open Beta. Bugs will exist - game breaking ones, we found out, but they will not wipe.
    However, as it is declared to be in Open Beta, that means each and every one of us is a Beta Tester.
    If we find an exploit or bug, it is our job as testers to find it, duplicate it, and report it.

What part of that did you miss, Cryptic?

I get that people who abused it should be banned, but the automatic hammer falling upon everyone who made a negative trade, rather than investigating the accounts manually, has undoubtedly resulted in legitimate testers banned.

In no way am I suggesting we let people off the hook - but could you at least look into whether the to-be-banned account actually *did* anything with that fake currency? While I bet there's all of 2 people out there who were legitimately testing the bug and reported it, it seems like the "bug report" alone should absolve them of their "crime". I know most are trolls, but there are paying members too.

Since your support staff is -so- far behind maybe you should consider not making it impossible for legitimate testers to test your game; and maybe you should have an -exploit report- function specifically, so you can weed that out from the general bugs and maybe react faster than a week late.

Are you saying that you know for certain of an individual who discovered this game bug, reported it and did not abuse the game economy by exploiting the system? Or is this an attempt to avoid the reprocusions of exploiting the game?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    thelingarn wrote: »
    Are you cleverly highlighting the fact that "Open Beta" isn't really a beta at all?

Or are you just coming to that realization, awakening with dread to the truth that has been lurking all along?

Neverwinter is in Open Beta and there is no indication that this is not true. If a beta tester deliberately sabotages the testing of a beta product they would loose their testing privileges...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • xdustedxxdustedx Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I could be the only one that thinks this way but once a company starts selling stuff ingame and no more wipes it's not really a beta anymore. I feel it's just something for a company to hide behind when something goes wrong.
  • thelingarnthelingarn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Neverwinter is in Open Beta and there is no indication that this is not true. If a beta tester deliberately sabotages the testing of a beta product they would loose their testing privileges..."

Sleep on, friend.

You will not be happier when you wake.
  • sikryisikryi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thers ppl who reported this...search on youtube...thers tons of vids of exploits "report to cryptic"
  • vulupvulup Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Stopped being a Beta as soon as they took real money, which is why they won't wipe everything.
  • kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know someone that got banned for testing the exploit in order to give a thorough step-by-step in their report too. I seem to recall PWE stating that they will investigate individual requests for people that have good cases not to be banned. Although I'm sure there will be a ton of exploiters trying to claim their innocence making it take longer for actual innocent people to get unbanned.
  • eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neverwinter is open beta, so give us unlimited zen and AD so we can test the game functionality. including pet ecc, ah and also give us unlimited celestial/astral coin so that we can start to test the angel which i bet will be sooo broken,
    and free respec since I bet 50% of skills and feat are broken too.

wait that's not gonna happen but..... hey!! don't forget to buy your founder pack!
  • arlandinoarlandino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /yawn.. its not beta , the game has been released. They can call it Alpha for all I care... the game is released
    edited May 2013
    xdustedx wrote: »
    I could be the only one that thinks this way but once a company starts selling stuff ingame and no more wipes it's not really a beta anymore. I feel it's just something for a company to hide behind when something goes wrong.

If you do not want to test a beta product you should avoid playing it until it is officially released... Neverwinter is in Open Beta with bugs, imbalances and roll backs expected during the testing of the beta product.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    arlandino wrote: »
    /yawn.. its not beta , the game has been released. They can call it Alpha for all I care... the game is released

Could you please indicate which Cryptic/PWE press release you are basing this upon or is it just your opinion?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • itsrabbitzitsrabbitz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I came across the Astral Diamond bug, then went straight onto their Facebook page along with their Twitter feed and sent them messages to shut down their servers due to a massive astral diamond dupe which was happening, I got banned for reporting. Yay!
    edited May 2013
    itsrabbitz wrote: »
    I came across the Astral Diamond bug, then went straight onto their Facebook page along with their Twitter feed and sent them messages to shut down their servers due to a massive astral diamond dupe which was happening, I got banned for reporting. Yay!

Posting bug details on a public Facebook or Twitter feed isn't the best way to submit your test results... You should use their in-game bug report tool or contact Cryptic using email, etc.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    Could you please indicate which Cryptic/PWE press release you are basing this upon or is it just your opinion?

Anyone who have played more than COD could say that this is not a beta.

If you fail to see why do a little research about betatesting, the meaning of it and the tools required by the testers.

Long story short...you let the player exploit and glitch the **** out of the game, fix the bugs, wipe, reward the beta testers with some stupid title and then launch the game.

The meaning of this beta is: Don't forget to buy the founder pack!
  • homicidalyahtzeehomicidalyahtzee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is in Open Beta and there is no indication that this is not true. If a beta tester deliberately sabotages the testing of a beta product they would loose their testing privileges...

...you obviously must be new to playing any real beta.
  • homicidalyahtzeehomicidalyahtzee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eros1986 wrote: »

If you fail to see why do a little research about betatesting, the meaning of it and the tools required by the testers.

Long story short...you let the player exploit and glitch the **** out of the game, fix the bugs, wipe, reward the beta testers with some stupid title and then launch the game.

This, this, so much this. If an in-game bug is found outside of beta, then I'd suggest otherwise.
  • itsrabbitzitsrabbitz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Posting bug details on a public Facebook or Twitter feed isn't the best way to submit your test results... You should use their in-game bug report tool or contact Cryptic using email, etc.

Sorry i didn't word this correctly, I didn't post the details about the bug i posted that there was a massive dupe happening and you need to shut down your servers.

I did report the bug via the in-game bug system though, Maybe i got banned because i did it once, which is how i found out about it, Bare in mind i only did it with 1000 Astral diamonds.
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want this question answered. I do not know about you guys, but I put my money up to BETA TEST a game. If this is not a true BETA TEST, then I was in fact mislead as to my investment.

If this is a BETA TEST then we should be taking action to wipe away these effects before a true launch.

This is the detail that everyone abusing the "let's wipe it" side of this debate. False advertisement is wrong, even if you think I am stupid for wanting to do the beta more than the launch right now.

Yes Cryptic said no wipes,true. However we have to assume that they did not expect this level of exploitation when they said that..If they did expect it, well that is a whole other can of worms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
    edited May 2013
    eros1986 wrote: »

Perhaps you should research what software life cycle beta is...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team might not find.

There is no stipulation that requires Cryptic must wipe the game before release nor sabotage the beta test by exploiting the game.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    I want this question answered. I do not know about you guys, but I put my money up to BETA TEST a game. If this is not a true BETA TEST, then I was in fact mislead as to my investment.

If this is a BETA TEST then we should be taking action to wipe away these effects before a true launch.

This is the detail that everyone abusing the "let's wipe it" side of this debate. False advertisement is wrong, even if you think I am stupid for wanting to do the beta more than the launch right now.

Cryptic has said many times that they were NOT going to wipe the servers at the end of Open Beta and Neverwinter's release... Could you please reference the Cryptic/PWE press release statement that said otherwise?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps you should research what software life cycle beta is...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team might not find.

There is no stipulation that requires Cryptic must wipe the game before release nor sabotage the beta test by exploiting the game.

dude you can read a wiki all the time you want...i work in QA and I get payed to test game from the SUDO to it's DLC...
    this beta is invalid and so your argument. btw no offense rushed post gotta go. peace
  • bloodygatitabloodygatita Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2013

Here you go...not a press release, but just as good.

It's now and open beta AND soft release!!! LOLz

ambisinisterr

ambisinisterr is online now Community Moderator ambisinisterr's Avatar

The game is in open beta but since there will be no more wipes it is a "Soft Release."

The game is live and is treated as such, but the game has not officially launched and bugs and stress issues are expected.
  • failpatchfailpatch Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PWE doesn't care. They have your money and will ban you across all their products as they don't care to keep you as a paying customer even if it means they screwed you over on a beta. There are so many fools born every second across all the countries PWE covers that the well is infinite as long as they keep churning out money grabbers in the $10-30 range for items.
    If they can snooker every person for at least that much a couple times a year they can afford to mass ban 50% of the populace in a beta once or twice a year.
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I am sorry but this is the most uniformed thing anyone has said in this debate yet..Their is every indication that this is in no way a beta test.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • pilfropilfro Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is what happened IMO

Exploiters were doing their thing. Then realized it was out of control, and some became the people saying "look what I found"....50 times.
    edited May 2013
    vulup wrote: »
    Stopped being a Beta as soon as they took real money, which is why they won't wipe everything.

A lot of companies use customer investments to help them during product development, testing, etc before the game is released. This doesn't change the life cycle status of the software being developed... Where you not aware that you were playing a beta product when you invested?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    pilfro wrote: »
    Here is what happened IMO

Exploiters were doing their thing. Then realized it was out of control, and some became the people saying "look what I found"....50 times.

How did these testers inform Cryptic of the bug? Did they use the in-game bug report tool, send emails to Cryptic, etc? Or did they post the bug details to a public place such as forums, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc sabotaging the open beta test. Did they exploit the bugs discovered during the testing for personal gain?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    I am sorry but this is the most uniformed thing anyone has said in this debate yet..Their is every indication that this is in no way a beta test.

What Cryptic/PWE press release are you referencing or is this simply your opinion?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
This discussion has been closed.