test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does this game get at least somewhat challenging?

soulsardiussoulsardius Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm only level 16 so fairly low end content still I guess? But so far the difficulty has been joke and bosses have been redundant and barely tougher than standard enemies. One thing I enjoyed about D&D games is they always presented a tactical challenge and you felt "weak" as a low level character. It took time to progress and grow into a powerhouse. Where as in this game I feel like I'm playing a demi-god right out of the starting gate. The most challenging component I've found so far is trying to pick up all the loot that explodes from enemies and is showered across the landscape
Post edited by soulsardius on

Comments

• Options
    sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes. Enemies will hit for a ton and have tons of hp.
  • Options
    clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah it definitely get's more challenging remember at level 16 you're only a few hours into the content.
  • Options
    nismunismu Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    somewhere after 30 the team need to have some sense what they are doing on dungeon bosses and maybe on some skirmishes. then somewhere 50 there are some nastier areas for solo play too. Nothing impossible and pretty easy still ones you get the tactics.
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm only level 16

So yea, do some leveling.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    dobies4lifedobies4life Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No. Challenges in MMO's got eliminated when games started catering to casual gamers.
  • Options
    bbsoonerbbsooner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    I'm level 4 and totally wrecked the first bandit in the crypts dungeon, does this get hard at all? Way to make an easy game, devs.
  • Options
    youlookfatyoulookfat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is no challenge honestly.. i am only speaking from lvl 41 though.. as a cleric i still walk into 4-8 mobs.. AE second AE... heal.. pew pew pew.. loot.. bosses are no issue if you can avoid red..

On my guardian fighter its easier.. even solo. As long as you can time your shield blocks.. you wont even take dmg from bosses.. I still play eq1 for some challenge. but even its not what it was..
    Robb Stark is killed at the Frey wedding and his head is sewn onto his wolf..
    Jon Snow ends up leader of the wall and his own men kill him...
    Tyrion kills his father with a cross bow...

Can't spoil books that have been out for years.. enjoy the show!!
  • Options
    clacksonclackson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    By thirty you'll probably start using potions, and by 50 you'll be in moderately difficult content.
  • Options
    scorpion2112scorpion2112 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    In the 30's you will see a vast difference.
  • Options
    antonn131313antonn131313 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Depends if you consider having more adds thrown at you as you progress, "challenging".
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bbsooner wrote: »
    I'm level 4 and totally wrecked the first bandit in the crypts dungeon, does this get hard at all? Way to make an easy game, devs.

Must be a joke post right? level 4 lol.
    It does get harder, some fights you will get rolled over very quickly and you have to go back thinking of a different strategy to beat the boss.
  • Options
    penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lvl 16 is a little less than 2 hrs of gaming XD

anyway yep it gets harder. Still not that hard tho.

ex.
    Phase spiders hit me for 4k damage, and I have 40+% damage reduction. They come in groups btw.
    Under the same def stats, melee trash mobs hit for around 1-2k depending on the monster.
  • Options
    thisisgoatarificthisisgoatarific Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As doobie said, even at 60, T2s just need a 'little' brain power.

Everyone cheeses though, because it is easy and fast. It sucks to pug T2s, but when friends/guildies arn't around to group, what can ya do?
  • Options
    suroh66suroh66 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So you're only level 16 yet you feel you can safely and accurately even begin to judge the game as a whole, and you some how don't see a problem in that?
  • Options
    sirkimjongsirkimjong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    Ugh, I've lost most of my gold stack pugging T1 and T2 dungeons. it WILL get challenging.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The challenge begins to ramp up at 30. Whether it is enough to challenge a particular player depends on the skill of the player.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wrenaq wrote: »
    some fights you will get rolled over very quickly and you have to go back thinking of a different strategy to beat the boss.

I'm 47th level & still haven't figured out how to beat Scalefather, & I barely even scratched the War Ice Troll.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • Options
    platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait until you're trying to do T1 elites with a pug. Doing that last night because my regular guildies weren't on yet... challenging is one word for it. Painful is another... We finished it but I was last man standing because apparently I was the only one who knew standing in the fire is bad... I'm going to try pugging a T2 one day, just for hilarity.

But anyway, it does get more challenging. :)
  • Options
    nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm only level 16 so fairly low end content still I guess? But so far the difficulty has been joke and bosses have been redundant and barely tougher than standard enemies. One thing I enjoyed about D&D games is they always presented a tactical challenge and you felt "weak" as a low level character. It took time to progress and grow into a powerhouse. Where as in this game I feel like I'm playing a demi-god right out of the starting gate. The most challenging component I've found so far is trying to pick up all the loot that explodes from enemies and is showered across the landscape

Seriously guy..What class are you playing? Your 1/4 through the game and your already saying its to easy? Is this post even real?
  • Options
    penpenstarpenpenstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    or he might be trolling and we took the bait :))
  • Options
    lsafa7llsafa7l Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lvl 40 dungeons u can wipe as well as u can on a raid in wow
  • Options
    kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited May 2013
    Troll. i mean, level 16 ... seriously? i made lev 60 in 30 hours playtime. legit.
    of course the game is easy in LOW LEVELS.
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    In the 30's you will see a vast difference.

30's is still easy if you read the Class Forum stickies and spec correctly! I made the mistake of chosing the wrong points for my TR and was having a hard time at 30. But as soon as I spend $6 and switched things around so I could have dailies available almost at all times, 30 was a piece of cake!

But then at level 40, things got hard and I just quit right there.

Then I levelled a CW, but this time I followed a spec guide the whole way so I wouldn't have to spend $6 again. Level 30 was still easy, level 40 was a bit challenging. 45 was just insane. I cannot screw up anymore! I gotta pull with the correct rotation, save my CC's for the correct elite mobs and every pull feels like an epic battle! It's tough! 45 to 49 was pretty darn hard and I had to play my best!

Just when I thought things were gonna get easier, apparently it's not. According to many people I spoke to, level 50 to 60 is HARD! So if you're looking for a challenge, wait until you reach 40 and work your way to 60!
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Content around level 55 gets a lot more tougher. Also, epic dungeons are hard without the right strategy-setup, not easy to pull off in PUGs.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    xervaixervai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So far, nothing in this game is challenging to seasoned MMO players that you can consistently play with. Most people have a hard time because they're not educated in specs, gear synergy, red circles, not used to action games.

Action games typically are hard in a few ways:
    1) Make the mobs hit like trucks, punish those that get hit (Typical)
    2) How many things can you do monkey? Make the players do multiple things at once while trying to fight mobs
    3) MORE MOBS MORE MOBS MOOOOOOOORE (This game is a fan of that)
    4) Make the mobs immune to everything but damage/puzzle completion
    5) Puzzles (Yawn, wikipedia/youtube/memory and we're off!)
    6) In soviet neverwinter, mobs stuns you! Mobs can stun lock you, mechanic isn't used much. Tends to cause RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Puzzles are rare in this game. Most of them are "combat puzzles", like in Spellplague, where you need to punt mobs off of the edge unless they're immune. That fight is actually one of the most interesting to complete and despite doing it constantly for T2 helms for guildies, I enjoy it a lot. It uses 1-4,6 in a fun way. I know it sounds masochistic, but being two people left burning down <4% boss health and avoiding being knocked off was stressfunderful.
  • Options
    gbf360gbf360 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Level 30 dungeon-Mad Dragon. This is when I first started seeing problems. First time I experienced a wipe as well. That dungeon feels more like a raid and the reward for completing it felt really underwhelming. We were 2 rogues, GWF, GF, Cleric.
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I found once I hit 32 + the Dungeons became extremely challenging.

Once I hit 40 + Questing became very challenging...or slow depending on how you look at it.

I was a Cleric btw.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xervai wrote: »
    How many things can you do monkey? Make the players do multiple things at once while trying to fight mobs

Scalefather, & Ice War Troll: dodge red circles, fight mobs, kite the boss, drink potions, & try to keep your companion revived, all at the same time.

Yea, I don't care who the pro players are. I haven't figured those two fights out, & so they're quite difficult for me.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • Options
    callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    PUG t2s are challenging because its hard to communicate with inexperienced players.

now, players with a brain who sue ts/mumble/etc the game will be easy no matter how you look at it.
  • Options
    imaginaryhawkimaginaryhawk Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    Oh you bet your *** it does, son. It gets so challenging that most people get through its late game content by abusing gameplay mechanics. You'll barely find anyone who actually "plays" the late game in Neverwinter.