test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Detrimental Effects

adania666adania666 Member Posts: 39
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This is not a rant, nor do i want any opinions on any specific exploits or bugs.

My question is, how much of an effect do you think the past couple of weeks has had on the game in key areas such as population and longevity ?

Do you think this will have a detrimental effect on the game and decreases population levels exponentially?

Or do you think it will have little or no effect to the games future?

Discuss.
Post edited by adania666 on

Comments

• Options
    rakeleerrakeleer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since all the answers are going to be random opinion backed up only with allegory unless someone has been doing census counts on shards...

I'll say that it was much easier to fool around in the Enclave last night, and when I looked at the instance population it looked pretty sparse. That could just be people waiting to log in until the exchange and AH were back up, all the maintenance settled down, etc.
  • Options
    ekojinekojin Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly.. I recently started playing this game. While it is true the whole rollback and exploit ordeal was a complete mess. This game is good, and I enjoy it. Seriously.

This game is good, and I enjoy it. That's all that matters. Bottom line.

A "bug" that was exploited to who knows what end will not ruin my enjoyment. Pro-tip: no one knows to what end it was exploited. A lot of raging forum monsters think they do, because they read it... on the internet. Take a deep breath and re-think your logic before you hit that enter key.

The bottom line is I like this game, I like the immersion. I will keep playing. NONE of what happened over the weekend surprised me, in fact it shouldn't have surprised anyone. This will happen, it HAS happened and will continue to happen with every release of an MMO. Exploits will happen and people will rage like the **** sky is falling every time, blaming the wrong people, the right people, and troll like there is no tomorrow. Deal with it. Welcome to MMO releases.
  • Options
    llllllllll42llllllllll42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    #1 Lack of substance in gameplay on all phases of the game. (PvP, Dungeon, "end game" etc)
    #2 RAMPANT exploits.
    #3 Developer silence on real issues.
    #4 Zen shop prices (6$ for a respec)
  • Options
    youlookfatyoulookfat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoy the game.. I understand the rollback and why it was done.. and one time isn't a big deal. hell when UO came out it was rolling back constantly and that SUCKED.

As far as people quitting and such.. If they rollback again my buddy and i would probably quit.. we almost did this time, I havn't seen anything that really make me eager to log in. And once we hit 60.. there is really zero reason. Leveling has been fun though. The one thing i would like to see them do is organize the chat into a better system. Seperate trade channels and such (or if they exist people need to stop in general) Chat is so bad in this that we have turned off zone chat since day one. Making it a very anti social game, just because of the horrible spam and BS..

Oh yeah.. and plus what the guy above me said.. $6 to respec? BAHAHAHAH yeah... go sucka bag of dicks... never gonna happen:) although i have no issue paying for stuff in the zen store.. the respec thing is rediculous.
    Robb Stark is killed at the Frey wedding and his head is sewn onto his wolf..
    Jon Snow ends up leader of the wall and his own men kill him...
    Tyrion kills his father with a cross bow...

Can't spoil books that have been out for years.. enjoy the show!!
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ekojin wrote: »
    Honestly.. I recently started playing this game. While it is true the whole rollback and exploit ordeal was a complete mess. This game is good, and I enjoy it. Seriously.

This game is good, and I enjoy it. That's all that matters. Bottom line.

^This. I have HoTN been playing every day for multiple hours since 4/25/13. Things have slowed down because the game hasn't released everything it needs for endgame(pvp maps, making skirms more enticing, ect..), but with that being said everytime I log in its enjoyment. Huge Forgotten Realms fan, love playing the game with my PS3 controller. Really looking foward to new classes, races!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They not only did this to themselves by allowing the exploit into their "open beta" but due to the prices of all things, this encouraged gold sellers and hackers. If their prices had been more reasonable, there would have been less of a reason for gold sellers to mega exploit.

$30 for a mount leaves a lot of meat for gold sellers. If they had been more in the $5 range, less reason for people to risk 3rd parties. The fact that they are so prevalent is proof of how much money cryptic is loosing. I do have to wonder, why they allow this to continue makes me wonder if they are not in reality getting a cut of this 3rd party profit.

Kinda reminds me of the old Everquest gold fiasco where their own employees were selling gold as a third party through a well placed banker hack in one of their zones. LOL Why else would they allow this exploit into their release, I mean open beta with no wipes.
  • Options
    rakeleerrakeleer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    youlookfat wrote: »
    I enjoy the game.. I understand the rollback and why it was done.. and one time isn't a big deal. hell when UO came out it was rolling back constantly and that SUCKED.

Yeah, hopefully they won't have to do that again. It didn't impact me much, but I can imagine how it would if they had to do it, say, once a week.
    Seperate trade channels and such (or if they exist people need to stop in general) Chat is so bad in this that we have turned off zone chat since day one. Making it a very anti social game, just because of the horrible spam and BS..

As far as I know, and I've played a few MMOs (EQ, AC, WoW, etc.) this has never ever worked. It's probably wasted effort. Spammers and gold sellers will gravitate like orbiting turds to whichever channel is most used.
    Oh yeah.. and plus what the guy above me said.. $6 to respec? BAHAHAHAH yeah... go sucka bag of dicks... never gonna happen:) although i have no issue paying for stuff in the zen store.. the respec thing is rediculous.

Yeah... $6 for a respec seems high. They need to lower many of the Zen store prices. Maybe even add an in-game way of respeccing that doesn't rely on grinding AD for Zen. However, it makes sense from a business perspective to start with prices high, and then lower them, so I'm not getting worked up about it yet. It also helps that while I feel like I will need a respec, I haven't raced to the level cap and don't really need one yet. :)

All kind of tangential to the question, but interesting thoughts, thanks youlookfat!
  • Options
    braddassbraddass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108
    edited May 2013
    With the economy ruined, a lot of people are upset. The effect is hard to quantify. Some people will quit playing. More will refuse to ever give PW another dime.

The sad thing is that it was preventable. They knew about the exploits the first couple of days of open beta (some say before open beta). They did nothing then. When the economy got really fried, their solution was a 7 hour rollback, which was the equivalent of putting a bandaid on an amputation.

Someone at PW wasn't potty trained right .. as I told my son ... 'if you don't wipe, you will continue to smell like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>'. That sums up where this game is right now.
    I am a Lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)
  • Options
    nynjasquirrelnynjasquirrel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    braddass wrote: »
    With the economy ruined, a lot of people are upset. The effect is hard to quantify. Some people will quit playing. More will refuse to ever give PW another dime.

The sad thing is that it was preventable. They knew about the exploits the first couple of days of open beta (some say before open beta). They did nothing then. When the economy got really fried, their solution was a 7 hour rollback, which was the equivalent of putting a bandaid on an amputation.

Someone at PW wasn't potty trained right .. as I told my son ... if you don't wipe, you will continue to smell like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. That sums up where this game is right now.

Very true - and what's worse is that the people who DID take advantage of the exploits are still happily playing - artificially boosted way above where they should be - seperating the playerbase for a VERY long time to come. It would take me as a genuine player a very long time to hit the millions of AD they achieved in minutes, giving them opportunities to upgrade every aspect of their current, and additional characters.

As time goes on, this will lead to more and more discrimination of those of who don't have the expensive companions for runs, don't have full uber-purple gear with full enchants, etc. Personally - I'm done, it's been handled poorly and we're being fed paltry fixes that don't address the HUGE holes that were punched in the game.
  • Options
    ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    braddass wrote: »

Someone at PW wasn't potty trained right .. as I told my son ... 'if you don't wipe, you will continue to smell like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>'. That sums up where this game is right now.

So, if you continue saying something, does it eventually become true? Maybe we can have someone post the fake screenshots again that show that the exploit existed since closed beta so we can make fun of people again?
  • Options
    mance7mance7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem with threads like this is; they are totally subjective opinion based. Allot of forum whiners are upset. The game is dead. The game is fail. The game's economy is destroyed etc. What no one is considering is this. It is Free to Play. Meaning they have an invested interest to keep it going and making it fun. If they want you to spend money. (Unlike sub games that simply hold you hostage each month to play, but I'm not getting into that tired argument). So long as it's free hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people will come in, leave, come in and leave again. If you consider the population of the earth, 60, 000 people (The number is more for relative comparison then fact) just got there first computer this morning. Tomorrow the same thing, and so on. Not a single person on this forum can call any Free 2 Play game dead. It is the height of their own arrogance. People called STO 'dead', went F2P, now look at it. Tens of thousands of people on every night. Why? BECAUSE IT'S FREE!
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem I have with people citing "the economy is ruined" is seeing it from people that have stated in no uncertain terms that their ninja'd drops won't sell for as much. Cry me a river. Being unable to exploit the loot system due to another exploit isn't really a valid argument. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to find out that some of those same people were behind, or at the very least involved in the latest fiasco. It would have the effect on the economy they wanted by raising prices in the AH. All speculation on my part of course, but it would be logical.

As far as I'm concerned; the lack of a true ranged physical dps class is a bigger issue than some of the previous exploits. The disregarding of basic rules, even though they are used in other aspects of the game, such as trap disarming is a given for a rogue. While it's possible to fail a kit? My beef with warriors being the ones to be able to find secret doors, I'm not sure if this is a 4e thing, or a Neverwinter thing to encourage grouping? These issues, and similar ones, are far more detrimental to the game from my PoV than any of the exploits, since they've been in game since I rolled up a character. These have far greater impact on my longevity than anything that's been exploited.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    mance7mance7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem I have with people citing "the economy is ruined" is seeing it from people that have stated in no uncertain terms that their ninja'd drops won't sell for as much. Cry me a river. Being unable to exploit the loot system due to another exploit isn't really a valid argument. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to find out that some of those same people were behind, or at the very least involved in the latest fiasco. It would have the effect on the economy they wanted by raising prices in the AH. All speculation on my part of course, but it would be logical.

As far as I'm concerned; the lack of a true ranged physical dps class is a bigger issue than some of the previous exploits. The disregarding of basic rules, even though they are used in other aspects of the game, such as trap disarming is a given for a rogue. While it's possible to fail a kit? My beef with warriors being the ones to be able to find secret doors, I'm not sure if this is a 4e thing, or a Neverwinter thing to encourage grouping? These issues, and similar ones, are far more detrimental to the game from my PoV than any of the exploits, since they've been in game since I rolled up a character. These have far greater impact on my longevity than anything that's been exploited.

Should have been here when kits had a 30% success rate. But I get what your saying. These are all things that can be balanced by numbers. As for the ranged physical. If you consider the 'Nature skill check' No class has it built in. Meaning you know darn well the 'Ranger' is not far behind.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    mance7 wrote: »
    Should have been here when kits had a 30% success rate.

Don't be surprised if that comes back. Having all nodes give the same percentage chance of success is pretty rare for the industry, and pretty rare for Cryptic. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if how that system is supposed to work is increasing difficulty by zone.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if that comes back. Having all nodes give the same percentage chance of success is pretty rare for the industry, and pretty rare for Cryptic. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if how that system is supposed to work is increasing difficulty by zone.

I agree with you 100% I was shocked when they went to 65% on BW2. Very unlike crypic and pwe.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mance7 wrote: »
    Should have been here when kits had a 30% success rate. But I get what your saying. These are all things that can be balanced by numbers. As for the ranged physical. If you consider the 'Nature skill check' No class has it built in. Meaning you know darn well the 'Ranger' is not far behind.

Yeah, the failing a kit isn't the issue though. The issue as I see it is it's the exact same mechanic used for disabling a trap. So is trapping dumbed down, or was it easier to just let you do it? I commented on these issues in some of the "doesn't feel like D&D" threads. But I don't want to veer that far off topic here. To me, the on topic part is that these issues, while personal, are far more likely to affect my longevity than the exploits. I don't "play" the AH, so it's not a big deal to me. I understand that there are "true merchants", and they are in every MMO with an AH, that play it more than they actually play the game, but it's not my game. I'll grind for gear if I have to, that doesn't bother me, and is, in fact, how I expected to gear up when I signed up. I am waiting for the Ranger though. Considering the title, and the setting, Drow Ranger is the next logical addition, I just hope they don't pull the "you can only be this kind of Ranger" gimmick. It's getting old already with the existing classes.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the failing a kit isn't the issue though. The issue as I see it is it's the exact same mechanic used for disabling a trap. So is trapping dumbed down, or was it easier to just let you do it? I commented on these issues in some of the "doesn't feel like D&D" threads. But I don't want to veer that far off topic here. To me, the on topic part is that these issues, while personal, are far more likely to affect my longevity than the exploits. I don't "play" the AH, so it's not a big deal to me. I understand that there are "true merchants", and they are in every MMO with an AH, that play it more than they actually play the game, but it's not my game. I'll grind for gear if I have to, that doesn't bother me, and is, in fact, how I expected to gear up when I signed up. I am waiting for the Ranger though. Considering the title, and the setting, Drow Ranger is the next logical addition, I just hope they don't pull the "you can only be this kind of Ranger" gimmick. It's getting old already with the existing classes.

I agree with what your saying, for the most part. I as well feel there is a lack of fundamentals. The kits and traps, seem to be more or less; added for the sake of adding them. As for the "you can only be this kind of Ranger" gimmick. In a years time there will dozen of new paragon paths. Of that I have no doubt.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    adania666 wrote: »
    This is not a rant, nor do i want any opinions on any specific exploits or bugs.

My question is, how much of an effect do you think the past couple of weeks has had on the game in key areas such as population and longevity ?

Do you think this will have a detrimental effect on the game and decreases population levels exponentially?

Or do you think it will have little or no effect to the games future?

Discuss.

Neverwinter is in Open Beta with bugs and game imbalances EXPECTED to be found during this test which can be corrected before the game is released. Not sure why this concept is so confusing to some people... /shrug
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    upskirtupskirt Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    things break sometimes. if the exploit and actions taken affect your game play and it's no longer fun then stop playing. srsly, ppl keep bringing this up, it's a moot point. you play games to have fun. if its not fun, stop playing. simple.
  • Options
    illessenillessen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I think Kripps misinformed videos and bashing of the game because he got a 72hr ban for exploiting did more damage than this the AD exploit. Kripp will prevent potential players from playing this game just because of his videos.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    Neverwinter is in Open Beta with bugs and game imbalances EXPECTED to be found during this test which can be corrected before the game is released. Not sure why this concept is so confusing to some people... /shrug

Because some people are under the assumption the word 'Beta' is just make believe. And some people only hear and think what they want to think. No matter how great your beta is. The 'stupid' exploit always seems to make it's way in.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    illessen wrote: »
    I think Kripps misinformed videos and bashing of the game because he got a 72hr ban for exploiting did more damage than this the AD exploit. Kripp will prevent potential players from playing this game just because of his videos.

And Kripps is loud mouth self grandstanding wanna be. One I find hard to believe has never been sued for slander.