test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Outside foundry map editing

ezbeeezbee Member Posts: 40
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I looked for a good 20 minutes and I couldnt find out if this was possible.

So i started out with an outside blank grass map with the intention of making a small city map and for the life of me I couldnt work out how to change the floor.

Is it possible to change the floor from grass to paving/granite etc?

Also this is something I haven't tried yet but can you change the size of the map? This is so when i'm finished with what I want to make I can trim the edges of the map or increase them if I need to.
Post edited by ezbee on

Comments

• Options
    gtdcarthagegtdcarthage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is no way to change textures of terrain for now. I was personally expecting the Foundry would let us customize our own terrain with sculpting and texture painting tools but I had to shoot down my expectations quite a lot. Your best bet really is to use the pre-made city maps. You can configure their layouts a little by covering specific roads and alleys with buildings and other things to distinguish them from quests using the same sets of maps.
  • Options
    beeblebrox69beeblebrox69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There might be other ways, but you can look in the Details list and find large foundation tiles you could place on top of the grass to be your new "floor."

There's no way to increase the map size (AFAIK), but to trim the edges, put some kind of visual cue, like some trees and bushes or something and then drop one of the large invisible walls on top of them. This is good practice anyway to close off non-accessible areas which will improve some of the server-side processing of pathing nodes and such.

I'm a foundry newb, but hopefully that info is accurate... :)
    THE VAALYR PROPHECY
    PROLOGUE: MISTY HOLLOW
    NW-DISM87G71
    CH.1: GOBLIN GROTTO
    NW-DSR6ZUDM2
  • Options
    auricklemtauricklemt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Working on the "Sunken City of Pazar" part of my Desert of Desolation adaptation (not published yet), I converted the empty plane into desert ground by using a ton of dirt decals. I placed a square cluster of 9 of them, then copied and pasted it a few times to create a column, then copied and pasted that multiple times to cover the map. It worked fairly well; especially once I added boulders, dead plants and such as dressing.

I had another idea this evening which I was going to log in and try but of course with the server being down it'll have to wait until tomorrow. But one of the available items in the Rocks category is a chasm cliff face. One side of it is rough but the back is perfectly flat and it is HUGE. Since the objects are all textured all the way around, I'm going to try placing it so that its back is facing up, just barely above the ground plane. Hopefully the texture will be high enough resolution to look decent and I'll be able to get rid of a good 3/4 or more of the decals. We'll see!
    Foundry Campaign: The Stars of Desolation
    Adapted from "The Desert of Desolation" by Tracy and Laura Hickman
  • Options
    ezbeeezbee Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Theres no simple way, ah well hopefully they add it in the future. I'm just fiddling about with foundry atm so i wasn' relying on it immediately or anything.

thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are allot of hard ways in changing an appearance. On my first foundry quest, I decided to make it near the ocean and outside. However, my story has me going to a dark creepy crypt area. Sadly, the map I pick is full of lush green fields and grass and a bright sun. Which is what I want for most of my quest on the map.

I could change the map - but that seemed like a waste for a small quest. I could change the quest - but again, I had a story in my head. So what i did? I used subterfuge to fool the player and myself into thinking an area is a dark creep crypt area versus a lush happy and green ocean area. How?

I looked at several textures and notice there was castle walls and crypt textures. I added several crypt floors and add them in a square fashion - but I purposely made them uneven and rotated them around. This allowed some of the grass and plants to show thru. This made the appearance that the area was in disrepair. I also added a few statue objects and purposely added a few "broken" ones too and coffins and then added a ton of myst and smoke FX textures. Lastly, I added some FX ravens (maybe they are crows) to make it look... creepy. Now instead of a lush happy area on the map... it looks like a dark, creepy crypt area.

All in addign a few textures and FX abilities to help change that one specific area a bit.
  • Options
    auricklemtauricklemt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just an update -- I tried my cliff idea. It looked awful. The texture is too low of resolution to look decent from anywhere even remotely close.
    Foundry Campaign: The Stars of Desolation
    Adapted from "The Desert of Desolation" by Tracy and Laura Hickman
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ezbee wrote: »
    Is it possible to change the floor from grass to paving/granite etc?

Also this is something I haven't tried yet but can you change the size of the map? This is so when i'm finished with what I want to make I can trim the edges of the map or increase them if I need to.
    No, and no, respectively.
  • Options
    dalriondalrion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I need sculpting of terrain too. I want to create small fishing village near coast but terrain is not flat enough. Half of building is under sand and half in air :-D