test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why did they pick cats?

hycinthushycinthus Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
During the exploit, why did people sell cats? Is cat a good companion, what does it do? Isn't a character companion better since they can assist in fighting instead of vanity pets?
Post edited by hycinthus on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Cat is an augment companion so any item bonuses you put on the Cat will be transferred to you. Don't expect them to do anything, but look nice.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    The Cat is an augment companion so any item bonuses you put on the Cat will be transferred to you. Don't expect them to do anything, but look nice.

Yes, so this is like the cleric companion, where you put enchantment, and 3% of the stats is transferred to you?
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its hard to trade AD by itself. Even more so once the exchange was out of Zen. Cats can be traded and each one is worth 1 mill AD. It was the easiest way for exploiters to transfer their loot to their mules.
  • Options
    dandamisdandamis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hycinthus wrote: »
    During the exploit, why did people sell cats? Is cat a good companion, what does it do? Isn't a character companion better since they can assist in fighting instead of vanity pets?

Even if you have a purple fighting companion, it's max level is only 30 - that's pretty much useless when you hit 60. The cleric is somewhat useful still because it heals a percentage of health, but it dies very fast in epic dungeons - really only good for maintenance heals while soloing.

The cat (or ioun stones) are much much more helpful - they transfer 100% of the stats of any item you equip them with to you. This can mean a big boost. There is no other companion that competes for doing dungeon raids, and honestly, it's quite possible you'll find you do better with an augment than a cleric companion even while soloing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dandamis wrote: »
    Even if you have a purple fighting companion, it's max level is only 30 - that's pretty much useless when you hit 60. The cleric is somewhat useful still because it heals a percentage of health, but it dies very fast in epic dungeons - really only good for maintenance heals while soloing.

The cat (or ioun stones) are much much more helpful - they transfer 100% of the stats of any item you equip them with to you. This can mean a big boost. There is no other companion that competes for doing dungeon raids, and honestly, it's quite possible you'll find you do better with an augment than a cleric companion even while soloing.

WHAT? 100%?? So this is like wearing 2 of the same items? I thought it's 3%?
  • Options
    zarchoszarchos Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    WHAT? 100%?? So this is like wearing 2 of the same items? I thought it's 3%?

This is not true, you do not get 100T% stats, it's 7, 8, 0 % stats/
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The cats are nice but really it was more that they could show off their astral diamonds since the cats cost lots and lots of AD.

Oh and cats are not vanity pets. Every item worn by them directly boosts the player and the cat itself boosts the player.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    My stats off the stone are directly 100% transferred..base stats.so..the stone enhances crit power and recovery..I fit(enchantment) stones that are effected by power crit and recovery..when fitting the stone I get a boost of 5-600 power...crit and recovery. (i believe the rank 7 +8% of base stats enchantment stone stacks as well.)
  • Options
    assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Because all our base are belong to them.
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cats are good for lv 60 dungeons , the other pets are better for leveling up
  • Options
    professore12professore12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cat is the best companion in game currently for any dmg class, probably for healers too.

Why?

For dps it provides the highest amount of damage a companion can provide. The 3 items you give to cat are as if you wear them and that is much much more damage than what any other companion can do. Only thing is you are to do the damage not the companion.
  • Options
    primerib41primerib41 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited May 2013
    My guess it that cats make you better at what you do best, rather than fill a hole. In a good group, everyone has a role already.

Or maybe they just like cats. I'd get one if I could afford it.
  • Options
    keobiaakeobiaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zarchos wrote: »

Yes it is true, all the stats from the ring/belt/neck you put on the cat are transferred directly to you. All the bonuses from the runes are also given to the owner. My cat currently gives me in total about 2000 bonus stats.

As for the OP: AD is capped at 100 Million, cats are bought from a vendor for 910k. Cats have no limit so if you're generating unlimited AD cats are the best way to succeed the cap.
  • Options
    edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Even if you have a purple fighting companion, it's max level is only 30 - that's pretty much useless when you hit 60.

My understanding of companions is that a rank 30 companion is the equivalent of a level 60 character. That rank does not equal level.
  • Options
    dandamisdandamis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zarchos wrote: »

I don't have a cat, so I can't say from first hand experience, BUT - here's a screenshot I found that shows a cat transferring 100% of the stats - look at the "summoning bonus" to the right and the stats to the left:
    qLXi9VU.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    edgenw wrote: »
    My understanding of companions is that a rank 30 companion is the equivalent of a level 60 character. That rank does not equal level.

That would be cool, but I have a lvl 30 dire wolf with good lvl 60 gear on it and it's pretty worthless in combat. It's not totally useless, but the lvl 15 cleric is more useful, lol.
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone remember the cat-astrophe in Ultima Online, before they limited followers (pets)?

I walked into a crowded guild meeting one time, in the guild's large tower, with at least 30 or 40 members present, and set a couple dozen of my cats off, screaming and meowing everywhere.

Yeah...it was really only funny the first time I did it. :o
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hmm so cats are the equivalent of Diablo's SOJs?
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That would be cool, but I have a lvl 30 dire wolf with good lvl 60 gear on it and it's pretty worthless in combat. It's not totally useless, but the lvl 15 cleric is more useful, lol.

And that's why the Cat is preferred: because it scales "best" for lv 60 content. I actually think the Ioun Stone of Allure would be better, but the Cat is the easiest to get with AD.

Not to mention it's probably the most sellable high AD item.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The main reason they did it was because they attempted to launder the dirty AD buy buying up expensive stuff, some people just bought everything on the AH but most bought cats since they are 1 million AD.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    colluzioncolluzion Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    The Cat is arguably the best pet in Neverwinter. Mainly because with the right Runes, it can account for several (4-6) pieces of gear. Including the fact that it can use a belt and ring, which can both with socketed. This essentially means that if you wanted to, you could fit your Cat with approximately 2,000 power (essentially 20 bonus damage).

However, the reason behind the Cat trading was their hopes that a rollback wouldn't occur and they would have converted their AD into a less obvious form of 'currency' which could then be sold after everything blew over.