test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Celestial Coin Removal = FUBAR

clanrakkaclanrakka Member Posts: 24 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
It may be an unpopular view but I don;t have a problem with the rollback as a response to the exploit.

However, finally being able to log on today after the extended downtime to find the Celestial Coins gone is bunk.

If this sort of ham-handed approach to resolving exploits that results in honest, fair and PAYING customers getting the shaft like this then my financial contributions to the game are over.

I don't think the Founders cost of $200 or the additional Zen I purchased (which was substantial) warrants any "special" treatment due to an exploit that didn't directly impact me.

But not taking the time to work out "collateral" damage like celestial coins, etc. shows either (A) a totally unprofessional project team or (B) a total disregard for your customer base.

Tread carefully PWE - you HAD a potential money machine on your hands.
Post edited by clanrakka on

Comments

• Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Celestial coins are on a timer. If you don't invoke every 29 hours the coins reset to 0. Unfortunately between the rollback and the server down time that timer expired for most people.

If you bother to read the FAQ about things stickied at the top of the forum you'll note that they will be giving everyone an apology pack midweek. It is likely 1 or more items in the pack will be from the celestial purchase menu.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rosicrucianistrosicrucianist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And I don't understand it. If the servers were rolled back to a certain time, then why did the timers on the coins continue to tick? I just started playing a week ago and was on the verge of getting my 7 day bags on two characters...
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And I don't understand it. If the servers were rolled back to a certain time, then why did the timers on the coins continue to tick? I just started playing a week ago and was on the verge of getting my 7 day bags on two characters...

Umm what 7 day bags? There is a profession pack you can trade 5 coins for a miscellaneous pack you can trade 7 coins for but neither give you a bag.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    clanrakkaclanrakka Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Exactly why I used the term "ham-handed"

They rushed the "fix" out the door to minimize the damage the server downtime was causing.

Now it looks like they'll try throwing trinkets out after the fact.

Someone in game made a good point - based on the rollback the exploit was only in use for 7ish hours?
  • Options
    musclesmarinaramusclesmarinara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *Can't delete posts
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Celestial coins are on a timer. If you don't invoke every 29 hours the coins reset to 0. Unfortunately between the rollback and the server down time that timer expired for most people.

If you bother to read the FAQ about things stickied at the top of the forum you'll note that they will be giving everyone an apology pack midweek. It is likely 1 or more items in the pack will be from the celestial purchase menu.

And it takes you all of 6 days to get it back, can you really not wait 6 days for your precious? WTF are you going to do that's so important with it anyways?

I'm sorry but the OP sounds pathetic. Do yourself a favor and throw a tantrum over your 6 lost coins, and then quit playing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    clanrakka wrote: »
    Someone in game made a good point - based on the rollback the exploit was only in use for 7ish hours?

The exploit was known and abused by a small clique since closed beta. It got out to the general populace and started being massively abused at the time the rollback went to.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hypnagogiahypnagogia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    And it takes you all of 6 days to get it back, can you really not wait 6 days for your precious? WTF are you going to do that's so important with it anyways?

People never stop to amaze me.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And I don't understand it. If the servers were rolled back to a certain time, then why did the timers on the coins continue to tick?

Rather than an actual timer, it probably just looks at the server clock. So the rollback would have reset the "when you last invoked" variable to an earlier state, and when you logged in and it compared the server clock to that variable..... poof.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Rather than an actual timer, it probably just looks at the server clock. So the rollback would have reset the "when you last invoked" variable to an earlier state, and when you logged in and it compared the server clock to that variable..... poof.

Exactly. Easier just to toss something from the celestial purchase menu into the apology pack than try to code a fix for that on the fly during a rollback. :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I lost my 6 coins because of this.

But that's the least thing I'm scared of losing.

I'm afraid I won't be able to afford zen ever again because of all of this mess.
  • Options
    keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hold your complaints until Friday when you get your STFU present.
  • Options
    alaric63alaric63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    7 lousy coins, that can buy almost nothing and this is a point to complain about? I guess we need the Forums for something...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    alaric63 wrote: »
    7 lousy coins, that can buy almost nothing and this is a point to complain about? I guess we need the Forums for something...

Well if they are upset about their celestial coins just imagine how upset they would be at a full wipe.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    hypnagogia wrote: »
    People never stop to amaze me.

Awwww... Because this is a forum post and I can't see you, I can't tell if you just made a funny or just did a cute immigrant thing and botched an American saying! Amazing either way.
  • Options
    naeron1966naeron1966 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    clanrakka wrote: »

No. The exploit was in use for a longer time, and people who used the exploit are getting permanent account bans.

The rollback covered the period when the use of the exploit spread to cause such damage to the game economy that rolling back was necessary to repair that damage even though it would cause people to lose progress. I logged on in the morning and things were much as they were the night before, by the time the brought they servers down the AH was silly, the AD/Zen exchange was empty and people were giving away cat companions.