test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Legitimate Thank You to the Exploiting Players

narabugnarabug Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
In any game, there will always be cheats, exploits, hacks, workarounds, or third-party programs to take advantage of game mechanics and give one player some sort of edge over another player. This is a simple fact of online gaming these days, and I think most every gamer has come to terms with that fact.

What is different from game to game is the margin of advantage which the cheater can obtain and the way the game developers and moderators handle the situation. The cheats and exploits over the weekend have done many players an extremely large service in showing us how Neverwinter Online would handle the cheating player and how much they respect their player base.

Perhaps some people are happy that the servers remained partially intact, and were restored to a point before the cheating got completely out of hand. Polls at about 10PM Pacific last night showed anywhere from 60-70% of players supporting a full server wipe, with about 20-30% opposing it and another 5-20% supporting various other changes which they thought would remedy the problems.

Thank You to the cheating player, for showing us just how much PWE/Cryptic cares about their player base and supports their customers who keep their game alive!
Post edited by narabug on

Comments

• Options
    revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The polls were biased to the fact that people only come to forums on the whole when they are unhappy. Content individuals don't tend to post on a forum.

You might as well put a poll up Fox News website about a critical issue facing the country and use it to determine how the US feels about the issue.

Just because the 1000's of angry, uninformed people filled out a poll means nothing.
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You might as well put a poll up Fox News website about a critical issue facing the country and use it to determine how the US feels about the issue.

Just because the 1000's of angry, uninformed people filled out a poll means nothing.

ROFL Yes and how is that recovery working for you ? I hope you have change
  • Options
    pennstateitpennstateit Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure founder pack purchasers were happy their money was stolen by exploiters. (Yes creating hyper-inflation is passive theft)
  • Options
    blizzardofme7222blizzardofme7222 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Considering this has been exploited from day one and the market has been trash from day one ,a wipe is about the only thing that would fix it at this point. It makes it almost look as tho they wanted this to happen to make in game "rare" currency like Q-rite in champions worthless so they can make more money on Zen.
    The polls were biased to the fact that people only come to forums on the whole when they are unhappy. Content individuals don't tend to post on a forum.

• Options
    rubaniazrubaniaz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure founder pack purchasers were happy their money was stolen by exploiters. (Yes creating hyper-inflation is passive theft)
    Well, isn't that their excuse?
    IS OPEN BETA GUYS
    THIS IS NORMAL

Point is, it's not open beta. It's already released. It's just released in a broken, uncompleted way. The point of beta is trying to fix bugs, not make money, so give players free diamonds and zen to **** around with, not sell it to them for real money from the start
  • Options
    thestatesmanthestatesman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    ROFL Yes and how is that recovery working for you ? I hope you have change

So what is this post even supposed to be getting at? Seems you completely missed the point.

But yeah, if I had to guess, only 20% of the playerbase visits the forums. But that's my guess. Fact is, the entire player base does not visit the forums and so any sort of poll or spamming of threads does not represent the view of the majority.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what is this post even supposed to be getting at? Seems you completely missed the point.

But yeah, if I had to guess, only 20% of the playerbase visits the forums. But that's my guess. Fact is, the entire player base does not visit the forums and so any sort of poll or spamming of threads does not represent the view of the majority.

The majority being the idiots screaming on live currently wondering why the AH is down and why they lost 4 levels and piles of zen.
  • Options
    nuncainvernonuncainverno Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find hilarious that the buyers of the $200 pack are the ones who are totally fine with the decision of Cryptic/PWE when they were the ones who got trully robbed.
  • Options
    meshooflakesmeshooflakes Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2013

So let me get this straight,the 1000's of people on this forum knowing what is going on are uninformed over those who do not visit the forum and have been clicking the log in screen for a view hours on sunday wondering what is going on.lol
  • Options
    thestatesmanthestatesman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    The majority being the idiots screaming on live currently wondering why the AH is down and why they lost 4 levels and piles of zen.

That's another generalization. Not every player spams on zone chat. The people who are outspoken tend to be the ones who feel more strongly about the issue, whether or not they are intelligent.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Note, I didn't say that the majority WOULDN'T want a wipe, nor did I say that my recovery of economy of the US is going well, I was just saying that the poll on the forum cannot represent the view of the masses.
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Actually, polls (and statistics in general) are to be taken with a grain of salt, and there is always a level of uncertainty. This is why any good statistics will list a range and not an exact value, unless their range is exceptionally small in comparison to the results. In reference to my OP, if a poll of nearly 3,000 people shows (at lowest) 60% supporting a reset of the servers and (at highest) 30% supporting no change, that doesn't necessarily mean that exactly 60 out of 100 true players will always support a reset. What it does show, with a very large sample size, is that there is at least a 2:1 ratio of players who support a reset vs those who do not support a reset.
  • Options
    mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Well it sure is "Hope and Change" at Cryptic :D
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    narabug wrote: »
    In any game, there will always be cheats, exploits, hacks, workarounds, or third-party programs to take advantage of game mechanics and give one player some sort of edge over another player. This is a simple fact of online gaming these days, and I think most every gamer has come to terms with that fact.

What is different from game to game is the margin of advantage which the cheater can obtain and the way the game developers and moderators handle the situation. The cheats and exploits over the weekend have done many players an extremely large service in showing us how Neverwinter Online would handle the cheating player and how much they respect their player base.

Perhaps some people are happy that the servers remained partially intact, and were restored to a point before the cheating got completely out of hand. Polls at about 10PM Pacific last night showed anywhere from 60-70% of players supporting a full server wipe, with about 20-30% opposing it and another 5-20% supporting various other changes which they thought would remedy the problems.

Thank You to the cheating player, for showing us just how much PWE/Cryptic cares about their player base and supports their customers who keep their game alive!

So you are saying that cryptic should have listed to all the alt accounts these bozo's made just to stack the poll?

Uh yeah whatever.

Popular opinion thought NGE would be a good idea as well...we all see how that worked out.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The polls were biased to the fact that people only come to forums on the whole when they are unhappy.
    But I come to the Forums cause I am at work... which isn't necessarily unhappy ;)
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    LOL, there was no stacking of the poll since a goodly portion of the pro-wipe people are HotNs. The ""Bozos" did not suddenly make alts and purchase HotN packs. In addition, many of them (wipers) I recognize as long term forumites. So try again.
  • Options
    psychlogicpsychlogic Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So let me get this straight,the 1000's of people on this forum knowing what is going on are uninformed over those who do not visit the forum and have been clicking the log in screen for a view hours on sunday wondering what is going on.lol

Exactly! While I'm sure there are plenty of quiet people just waiting to see what happens, the majority of the "quiet" people are only quiet because they don't pay attention to news or announcements and don't even bother to check the website for information on patch notes and timelines when normal server maintenance happens. I'm not saying their opinion doesn't matter, but they're not more informed than the people on the forums.

That being said, there is a definite dichotomy on the forums. There are plenty of people who know little about the situation and are just posting enthusiastically as though they do, or know about the situation and are not intelligent enough to come up with their own opinions on the matter so they copy-paste everyone else's thoughts, OR they understand the situation and only care about how it affects their in-game, not the community. How many wipe advocates are alt accounts for people who were banned?

But there are plenty of people who have been keeping up with the news and understand the situation and all the possible outcomes (and the long-term outcomes) and are putting together logical and sound arguments, whether it's for a wipe, appreciation of the rollback, whatever. The problem is that they're drowned out by everyone else.

Also, I'm against a poll on the forums. Accounts are free to make, so it would be way too easy to sway the votes.

As for my opinion, I'm pro-wipe. This issue is clearly not entirely resolved by the roll-back since the bug's been around forever. Even if they find and ban the people who've been exploiting it, the in-game has been affected. I get that people spent money, so all purchases should be available in game when you log back in. Third-party purchases won't be, but that's a risk you take when you mess with that. To be completely honest, I think the game should go down and have several serious and much-pointed out issues resolved (multiple exploits, class balance, foundry issues), but I know that won't happen and everyone will freak out. A wipe, though, that i can actually stand behind.
  • Options
    maximiliousmaximilious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013

we are the 1%
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So you are saying that cryptic should have listed to all the alt accounts these bozo's made just to stack the poll?

Uh yeah whatever.

Popular opinion thought NGE would be a good idea as well...we all see how that worked out.

so theres definitely a silent majority that you cant prove exists favoring your side, and any possibility that people dont share your opinion is a conspiracy?

are you glenn beck?
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NGE .

Arrrrrgggghhhhhhh! The nightmares ! Why did you bring this up ? Years of heavy drinking wasted trying to forget , and poof you bring it back up .
  • Options
    dilaniodilanio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I find hilarious that the buyers of the $200 pack are the ones who are totally fine with the decision of Cryptic/PWE when they were the ones who got trully robbed.

How was I robbed?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    so theres definitely a silent majority that you cant prove exists favoring your side, and any possibility that people dont share your opinion is a conspiracy?

are you glenn beck?

Old trope is old.

Not much different than the whiners calling everyone a idiot who doesn't want a wipe huh?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Actually, polls (and statistics in general) are to be taken with a grain of salt, and there is always a level of uncertainty. This is why any good statistics will list a range and not an exact value, unless their range is exceptionally small in comparison to the results. In reference to my OP, if a poll of nearly 3,000 people shows (at lowest) 60% supporting a reset of the servers and (at highest) 30% supporting no change, that doesn't necessarily mean that exactly 60 out of 100 true players will always support a reset. What it does show, with a very large sample size, is that there is at least a 2:1 ratio of players who support a reset vs those who do not support a reset.

If taken from a generally unbiased set or a random set, yes. However, my point is that you are sampling a set from people who are already reading forums, angry, and not from everyone, so the numbers are skewed. For example, if I poll only illegal immigrants if there should be laws to remove illegal immigrants, what will your result set be? It doesn't matter if people think you should or shouldn't in the rest of the populace, it's just that you are sampling from a biased set.
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Basic statistics would dictate that, if fake accounts were created to sway the vote in the creator's favor, there would be fake accounts created to support every differentiating viewpoint, resulting in the end result being still relatively accurate.

Basic psychology would also suggest that those who cheated in-game would be more likely to cheat outside the game and attempt to swing a poll in their favor by cheating. So if we're going to assume the results of a poll were swayed, they would logically be swayed in favor of the cheaters keeping their exploited wealth, meaning the 20-30% is an over-estimation of actual people who were opposed to a server reset.
    If taken from a generally unbiased set or a random set, yes. However, my point is that you are sampling a set from people who are already reading forums, angry, and not from everyone, so the numbers are skewed.

So your argument is based on the idea that only people who already support a reset would visit the forum? I would argue that the forums of any given game are a very real representation of the overall player base. In your immigration example, a more accurate comparison would be comparing people who vote to forum-goers, in which case I believe you would achieve a very close (although not perfect) representation of people who are for and against immigration reform.
  • Options
    dyrtnapdyrtnap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013

From what I can tell he took offense to you vainly invoking the name of the *NEW LORD ALMIGHTY GOD* - (formerly known as Fox News)- and saying anything it proclaims could be less than 100% truth. I live in the south I see it a lot.

*TO BE CLEAR I'M NOT A FAN OF MSNBC OR CNN EITHER I PERSONALLY HATE 24 HR NEWS AND THINK ITS CONTRIBUTED TO MANY OF THE US'S PROBLEMS OF LATE*

e.g.

Little old lady is leaving my store with a HUGE almost overflowing basket full of canned food I asked her "Hey sweetheart, are you taking that to donate it?" Because I was going to give her a discount if she was since I knew she was on a fixed income.

"No I'm trying to stock up on food before Obama takes my check away. The (Fox) News did a report saying he was going to issue a edict so old people don't get their social security so he can give it to the mexicans." She answers. (No she is not a mentally deranged "crazy" person *in the medical sense*.)

I said in reply "Honey that kind of change would require him passing a law through Congress AND the Senate. He doesn't own a clear majority vote in EITHER. Even if they were 80% Dems he couldn't because Dems aren't like Republicans they don't vote party line nearly as often."

She goes "Honey, obviously you don't watch The (Fox) News or know anything the law." and walked off not to return for a long time.

Then I had 4 other customers get in a argument with me about what a Presidential "Edict" is. Needless to say I lost at least 4 regular customers that day due to simply telling them unquestionable facts about what an "Edict" can and can't do. When I said its more powerful but still somewhat similar to how a UN "edict" works they all fell apart because apparently they think UN "edicts" are new "world laws".
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    psychlogic wrote: »
    Exactly! While I'm sure there are plenty of quiet people just waiting to see what happens, the majority of the "quiet" people are only quiet because they don't pay attention to news or announcements and don't even bother to check the website for information on patch notes and timelines when normal server maintenance happens. I'm not saying their opinion doesn't matter, but they're not more informed than the people on the forums.

That being said, there is a definite dichotomy on the forums. There are plenty of people who know little about the situation and are just posting enthusiastically as though they do, or know about the situation and are not intelligent enough to come up with their own opinions on the matter so they copy-paste everyone else's thoughts, OR they understand the situation and only care about how it affects their in-game, not the community. How many wipe advocates are alt accounts for people who were banned?

But there are plenty of people who have been keeping up with the news and understand the situation and all the possible outcomes (and the long-term outcomes) and are putting together logical and sound arguments, whether it's for a wipe, appreciation of the rollback, whatever. The problem is that they're drowned out by everyone else.

Also, I'm against a poll on the forums. Accounts are free to make, so it would be way too easy to sway the votes.

As for my opinion, I'm pro-wipe. This issue is clearly not entirely resolved by the roll-back since the bug's been around forever. Even if they find and ban the people who've been exploiting it, the in-game has been affected. I get that people spent money, so all purchases should be available in game when you log back in. Third-party purchases won't be, but that's a risk you take when you mess with that. To be completely honest, I think the game should go down and have several serious and much-pointed out issues resolved (multiple exploits, class balance, foundry issues), but I know that won't happen and everyone will freak out. A wipe, though, that i can actually stand behind.

And uninformed people that just want to click login and play should have a vote too if it's trying to "Appease the masses". You may find that the masses don't care at all and just want to login. Economy might go right over their heads. Does that mean it's right? No, but that doesn't mean you are appeasing the masses by doing the "Right" thing.

You basically feel like I do, though. I voted yes to a wipe. But I'm not quitting the game over the fact they didn't wipe, because with AD values changed, I still have fun playing, and that's what I payed for.
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    fenixuphighfenixuphigh Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was banned and I have NEVER exploited in this game. I have marketed a lot of AD and they take this and assume I exploited. I am NOT happy with Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Basic statistics would dictate that, if fake accounts were created to sway the vote in the creator's favor, there would be fake accounts created to support every differentiating viewpoint, resulting in the end result being still relatively accurate.

Basic psychology would also suggest that those who cheated in-game would be more likely to cheat outside the game and attempt to swing a poll in their favor by cheating. So if we're going to assume the results of a poll were swayed, they would logically be swayed in favor of the cheaters keeping their exploited wealth, meaning the 20-30% is an over-estimation of actual people who were opposed to a server reset.

Basic statistics? Why would anyone who was against the wipe make a false account especially when they were assured by Cryptic via twitter that a full wipe was off the table early on.

Dunno where you took your psychology, classes but you may not want to sleep through it next time...

Anyway, that would be a possibility had the chat boxes for the exploiters who were streaming the fiasco weren't full of:

OmGz0rz full wIp3 incoming!!!
    Followed by
    W3 br0k3 KraptiC!!!!

The wipe was the goal, it still is the goal because many of the exploiters who have not yet been caught are hoping that a wipe will erase their shady dealings over the last couple days.
  • Options
    rakeleerrakeleer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You basically feel like I do, though. I voted yes to a wipe. But I'm not quitting the game over the fact they didn't wipe, because with AD values changed, I still have fun playing, and that's what I payed for.

This. I'm on the forum because I'm at work, and it's almost as entertaining right now as the game itself. :)

Yeah, I think a wipe is the only "right" fix, but I can't be arsed to care too much about another MMO's ruined economy. I imagine a lot of the uninformed might feel the same way. It wouldn't be hard for Cryptic to ask them, if they wanted the decisions made by their customers or fans. I'm assuming they'd rather make it themselves, or have something compelling them to make it this way aside from the customers? Meh, still don't care.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The wipe was the goal, it still is the goal because many of the exploiters who have not yet been caught are hoping that a wipe will erase their shady dealings over the last couple days.

So you're suggesting that people who have amassed infinite riches via exploiting a bug are the ones who want the game developers to take those riches away? There may have been a later wave of people who were late to the show and tried to break as much as they could to support re-leveling the playing field, but I find it extremely hard to believe that a thief is in favor of having his stolen loot be rendered worthless.

The last comment about "erasing their shady dealings" is fairly interesting. Do you truly think that players who exploit games for personal gain actually care if what they do is shady? It's a circular argument, really, and it doesn't make sense. You're basically saying, "Cheaters only cheat so that the record of their cheating is wiped off the table."