test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear Devs, here is the reason why so many people get angry...

124»

Comments

• Options
    wildstylerzwildstylerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im afraid ill have to disagree with you on some points, eventho some of the directions you gave, wouldnt have bad.
    - The guy in charge of the twitter + facebook, actually keept everyone in the loop and replied to all the questions people tossed at him. I think he honestly did a pretty darn good job. Id like to see you keep your head cool, when about 5k people are spamming you with questions non stop. Besides, he is a COMMUNITY MANAGER. They dont exactly have access to ALL the information they need. They have to get the information somewhere aswell, then take it from there. I think it was a smart choice that he/she didnt just make a insanely long post, giving ideas of what is happening and what the issue was. Id rather have something concrete telling me what the issue is, and how itll be fixed, and when the servers would be up, which they DID give us.

Also, if YOU had read most of the twitter feeds, you would have known that the "timeline" they where making, was actually a time line on when the servers should be back up, and when we could expect the issue to be sorted.

Seriously though. They did a good job, compared to alot of other gaming companies out there. Ever heard of Gameforge or NCsoft which are far bigger then PWI/Cryptic? Their support is a thousand times worse. Also, its a free MMO, you cant expect the service to be top notch. Heck, Blizzard dosent even keep their players up-to-date on their maintences.

Also, for gods sake people, IT is a beta. **** like this is expected to happen.

Am i the only one who feels like this? Everyone seems to be full of themself lately, and only wants to trash talk everyone. If the game is so **** in your eyes, then get the hell outtha here and let the ones who enjoy it, enjoy it without all your bull****.
  • Options
    rakeleerrakeleer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the game is so **** in your eyes, then get the hell outtha here and let the ones who enjoy it, enjoy it without all your bull****.

Yeah, it's a shame that you're forced to read the forums, especially the ones with clearly negative subject lines.

This game would be epic without the forced forum reading.
  • Options
    druzanadruzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw should be given the title "smarter PR guy than the ones we pay for it".

Also i'd like to see some foundry quests that poke fun of this situation.

Joke: what would really solve this whole thing is another in-game currency right?
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    danxbx wrote: »
    Durrrr...OOGA-BOOGITY-BOO!!!

I see. Well thank you for your input and I appreciate your patience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    danxbxdanxbx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    I see. Well thank you for your input and I appreciate your patience.

Anytime!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Also, if YOU had read most of the twitter feeds...

I kept an update thread detailing all major updates posted to Facebook and Twitter last night. What did you do? Ah... that's right.

These sort of comments get more hilarious as I read them since none of you actually did what you tell others they should have done. Because had you done so you would have witnessed 10 hours of, "We're getting closer to an ETA for the post with an ETA" as well as several hours of CSMs talking about being carnies and promising to eat hats.

Apparently this was good information flow and people just failed to inform the rest of us with an IQ greater than a turnip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We real C++ coders call those minded coders "Nubs".

Anyone who has programmed for substantial time (23 years here) will proudly go OOPS when they mess up, because if you never written bugs in your life, you've never programmed in your life.

Your all programing nubs :O

BASIC FTW \o/

10 print "hello mom"
    20 goto 10

run

Like. A. Boss.
  • Options
    syrumsyrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 168 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Your all programing nubs :O

BASIC FTW \o/

10 print "hello mom"
    20 goto 10

run

Like. A. Boss.

Dear lord you just gave me flashbacks...

Seriously though, and on topic, simply throwing a quick "Oops! Give me a minute here folks, seeing what happened." and then being back in 5 min to say something like, "We have a serious issue with an exploit. Servers will be down for a bit and we'll update you as we go along.", would suffice at the onset of said issues.
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We real C++ coders call those minded coders "Nubs".

Anyone who has programmed for substantial time (23 years here) will proudly go OOPS when they mess up, because if you never written bugs in your life, you've never programmed in your life.

Yup, nothing wrong with saying oops. I'm a software engineer (C# mostly here), and I have yet to meet a programmer who releases 100% perfect code. To err is human. And even if we might have smaller apps that are virtually bug-free at release, then we'll still have oversights: things the users expected/wanted to do but couldn't in your app.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    rsheartsrshearts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    This is dead-on. One part that stuck out was the 'post everywhere' comment.

I first caught wind of a rollback from reading a random thread. So what was the first thing I did? Go look in the News/Announcements section of course! Which had nothing. Patch notes? Was there a massive failure of a patch? Nope nothing there either.

So then I go to the General thread where I found the information.
  • Options
    cutsoncutson Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There were one or two valid points in the OP's post. The communication about a server downtime should have been done and there should have been an acknowledgement of the issue.

The level of detail being requested screams more than a bit of entitlement. You don't need to know exactly what they are doing about the problem. Just that they are fixing it. The bulk of the community honestly does not care. It's just the vocal minority, many of which like to armchair develop, who want the juicy details. Without being there and seeing what was happening, there is no way to understand the scope or nature of the damage.

Their community team jumped in, very likely with almost 0 information available to them, and let everyone know they were being heard.

Beyond that? These guys did textbook what every other major company does during an economy crushing exploit.
  • Options
    syrumsyrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 168 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Actually, I didn't look, but are there links to Twitter and FB on the login/launcher? If not, that would help. Sometimes in the crashes, people can't get the forums to load at all...
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    <snip>

I refer you to your own signature.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    tropicatropica Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Props to post #1 for this thread.
    Very professional and every game should take this into consideration to deal with issues in a better manner.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People get angry due to hyperactivity in the lateral orbitofrontal cortex brought on by stress.

Don't think Cryptic can sort that.

Just saying.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    I have sent 500 AD your way, thank you for enlightening people like myself.

The pleasure was all mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]