test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So losing glory got nerfed

chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
So the glory for the side losing in the pvp got nerfed from 350 to 140. Good. Now fixed the **** bugged pvp queue that is preventing ppl from joining the pvp and it's all good. Every battle I've joined it seems 1 or 2 people can't join the fight for some reason and it ends up with loop sided battle.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So the glory for the side losing in the pvp got nerfed from 350 to 140. Good. Now fixed the **** bugged pvp queue that is preventing ppl from joining the pvp and it's all good. Every battle I've joined it seems 1 or 2 people can't join the fight for some reason and it ends up with loop sided battle.

Oh cool, even less of a reason to pvp on any new character after 4 matches for AD.

Adjusting rewards without touching class balancing is so awesome it hurts.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Aye stupid move. Farming glory sucked enough as it was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Totally called it. A 'fix' that mostly hurts people who do not AFK.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't see a point to this if true. Oh well I'll just wait for the pvp events that give double glory.
  • Options
    mutelunaticmutelunatic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People not loading in seems to be caused by background patching. I say this because patch days seem to be the worst for it. I would recommend that everyone open up their launcher and goto the options and then put a checkmark on Disable On Demand Patching. This will force the game to patch before it launches but seems to clear up some of these types of problems.
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    People not loading in seems to be caused by background patching. I say this because patch days seem to be the worst for it. I would recommend that everyone open up their launcher and goto the options and then put a checkmark on Disable On Demand Patching. This will force the game to patch before it launches but seems to clear up some of these types of problems.

I know you can fix it for dungeons by leaving your current map and clicking the "return to previous map" button. Never tried it for pvp.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would just like to follow up (with facts) and say this is not the case. As of 10 minutes ago you still get 350 Glory for a lose. So I am not sure what the OP was talking about.
  • Options
    uvirith1uvirith1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 124
    edited May 2013
    Doesnt loose-glory come from your rating after the game ends?

Im asking because I never get more than 150, because Im a dedicated healer/buffer. And since Cryptic doesnt recognize support to be a valuable asset in pvp, Im always last in points.
  • Options
    lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    Totally called it. A 'fix' that mostly hurts people who do not AFK.

Exactly. Why not make it so you have to score X points, or no reward. Instead we got this... Cryptic do you even understand how PvP works in your game?
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    uvirith1 wrote: »
    Doesnt loose-glory come from your rating after the game ends?

Im asking because I never get more than 150, because Im a dedicated healer/buffer. And since Cryptic doesnt recognize support to be a valuable asset in pvp, Im always last in points.

If the marginal gain that encompasses winning a PvP match is inferior to its cost, then people will consider that losing is an acceptable reward.

If you gain 700 glory per win, but winning takes most of the time a 15 minutes game, while you can lose in 3-4 minutes and gain 350 glory:

- 2 losses gain you the same glory as a win. However, you save a cost by taking this decision, which is saving time.

So yes, a good solution is to nerf the consolation prize for losing. When I tried PvP I found it absurdly high, even though I take the PvP here too casually and I don't even do it for the dailies. If you nerf the losing reward to half, lets say 150 glory, then it would take 5 losses to equate a win ( 20 minutes at least for 4 minute-matches). Now you would have an incentive to tryhard and do your best.

Communism destroys competivity since it removes the incentive to do more than the bare minumum. :P
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    uvirith1uvirith1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 124
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    If the marginal gain that encompasses winning a PvP match is inferior to its cost, then people will consider that losing is an acceptable reward.
    If you gain 700 glory per win, but winning takes most of the time a 15 minutes game, while you can lose in 3-4 minutes and gain 350 glory:
    Your conclusion is flawed because of a simple fact. If loosing doesnt get you a decent reward, no one will play at all. Because no one in an mmo wastes time knowing that eventually he gets nothing out of it.
    Communism destroys competivity since it removes the incentive to do more than the bare minumum. :P
    Communism? Did you drink paint-thinner for breakfast?
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your conclusion is flawed because of a simple fact. If loosing doesnt get you a decent reward, no one will play at all. Because no one in an mmo wastes time knowing that eventually he gets nothing out of it.

150 is greater than 0. So people who lose still gets something from it. Hence point is irrelevant.
  • Options
    karandordaockarandordaoc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Really? Getting a full set of PvP gear in this game takes a few hours and if you have a full set you can help your friends get pieces. I can't believe anyone is complaining.

They made it longer for you to AFK farm gear. Go cry somewhere else.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You still have the incentive of winning and being able to sell PvP items you can purchase with your farmed Glory. Actually, this would make PvP items more valuable as they would become harder to get (since now there is a substancial grinding speed difference).

The only reason that I find for people defending the huge glory gains for losing is that they just want to PvP a few times with a character then quit forever, or just exploit the fact that it's so easy to grind for items. I tried to get a PvP Greatsword for my GWF and got it in a single afternoon. It just takes timing to get into an Arena PvP happy hour and off you go. I lost 6 of the 8 PvP matches I played (a mixture of sucking hard, being extremely undergeared and having 3 AFKs in some games).
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    150 is greater than 0. So people who lose still gets something from it. Hence point is irrelevant.

The problems is not with the glory for the losing team. The problem is that afk people get more than 0 glory.
    They should give glory to losing teams if they played (score > 0) and give ZERO glory to ones having a score of 0. If you stay afk, your score will be 0
  • Options
    xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Your reasoning is flawed because I play PvP to win and enjoy. Not because of lousy rewards for losers.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    redlance wrote: »
    The problems is not with the glory for the losing team. The problem is that afk people get more than 0 glory.
    They should give glory to losing teams if they played (score > 0) and give ZERO glory to ones having a score of 0. If you stay afk, your score will be 0
    My reply was directed at that specific comment. I do agree that Glory should directly be based on participation. (and not necessarily on win/loss. Someone might have lost, but if they contributed more than someone on the winning team, they should still get more Glory)
  • Options
    caljosstrocaljosstro Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    not in the mood to write it all again; eff the stupid "auto save" every 10 seconds if it saves jack