test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lesson Learned

askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
1) Champion's Online
2) STO
3) Neverwinter

Anyone seeing a pattern here?

Cryptic/PW now join EA on my list of company's I won't ever patronize again.

Don't like my opinion? Send me $250 and I'll be gone from these forums for good.
Post edited by askopdkapok on

Comments

• Options
    majtrollxmajtrollx Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    It sucks that it took you 3 games to realize this.
  • Options
    erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd imagine that you won't have many new games to play in the future then because this is the new business model and there aren't that many gaming companies out there that have all the resources available to develop quality games. Oh, not defending anyone mind you, this is just the way it is/will be.
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    erdokan wrote: »
    I'd imagine that you won't have many new games to play in the future then because this is the new business model and there aren't that many gaming companies out there that have all the resources available to develop quality games. Oh, not defending anyone mind you, this is just the way it is/will be.

Really? I see a dozen games on the radar, none of whom are advertising a revenue model anything like this. I'm also playing 3 other "successful" games that don't either.

Go figure.
  • Options
    mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    majtrollx wrote: »
    It sucks that it took you 3 games to realize this.

LOL take a look around the boards and see all the people that can't/won't realize this.
  • Options
    psychlogicpsychlogic Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once is chance, twice is coincidence, three times is a pattern.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    psychlogic wrote: »

Exactly. Three strikes and your out.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    psychlogic wrote: »

You shoulda noticed a pattern by STO then. because they ****ed up CoH's release too. It took Positron and ther rest of Cryptic that got abandoned by Emmert years to make CoH the fondly remembered game it is. If you saw any of the content from the days before Emmert sold the game to NCsoft and abandoned half his devteam to NCsoft, you mostly saw insanely stupid **** like the original positron task force. an 8 hour long affair of endless "Kill all" warehouses.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    STO is a cool game. Why would it be a part of a "lesson"?
  • Options
    imbapigimbapig Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Admin...!!! I have been banned. Please help me
  • Options
    meshooflakesmeshooflakes Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    This is my first time swimming in these muddy waters.It makes interesting reading the deeper you dig though.
  • Options
    reaverkanereaverkane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    erdokan wrote: »

GW2, Elder Scrolls, Phantasy Star, i could go on...
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1) Champion's Online
    2) STO
    3) Neverwinter

Don't like my opinion? Send me $250 and I'll be gone from these forums for good.

Yet you waste your time crying on the forums....anyway don't think anyone will have to give 250.00, to shut you up your constant nonconstructive feedback will do that job eventually.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    kajiwhtkajiwht Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    what about diablo 3? should it not be in that list? (included almost ALL the companys)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yet you waste your time crying on the forums....anyway don't think anyone will have to give 250.00, to shut you up your constant nonconstructive feedback will do that job eventually.

Quit whining.

I'm expressing my opinion as a paid customer. You don't like it? Troll out of my thread you bratty child.

Man you would think that was a no brainer. You don't like certain threads don't enter them. You don't seem very smart doing otherwise.
  • Options
    revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GW2 is a terrible game. 80 levels of grinding just to be set back to level 10 when you walk through an area. lol.
    houserin_signature.png
  • Options
    erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really? I see a dozen games on the radar, none of whom are advertising a revenue model anything like this. I'm also playing 3 other "successful" games that don't either.

Go figure.

Well, I suppose it depends on the range of games that live up to your standards. Actively playing 3 games sounds like enough variation btw, why do you feel the need to play more of them (including this game) if those 3 games really were successful?

@Reaverkane: Just wait and see how that Elder Scrolls online game will work out. As for Phantasy Star, well....not sure what to think of your standards now >_>
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    GW2 is a terrible game. 80 levels of grinding just to be set back to level 10 when you walk through an area. lol.

I'm liking GW2 at the moment, but only for the PVE. I'm not a big PVPer so prolly won't last long but its definitely worth the $60 I paid to level up and enjoy all the PVE content. Also been lured into TSW and enjoying it as well. I think between the 2 I'll be busy until TESO.
  • Options
    jynxed2jynxed2 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Almost every game that launches has growing problems, much less while still in beta. Star Trek they fixed the issues in a timely manner, never really got into champions. People have unrealistic expectations.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jynxed2 wrote: »
    Almost every game that launches has growing problems, much less while still in beta. Star Trek they fixed the issues in a timely manner, never really got into champions. People have unrealistic expectations.

Champions, half the problems they caused themselves

See, despite some bugs, CO was pretty awesome during the Open Beta.

Then the night before launch they added in a completely untested package of nerfs that broke multiple parts of the game and half the classes. Without telling anyone who had already preordered about it.
  • Options
    sagasaintsagasaint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    your missing the biggest pattern here

1) PWI
    2) BoI
    3) WoI
    4) FSW
    5) JD
    6) ESO
    7) RH

all games made with zero long term plans. quick cash grabs destined to take your money and run with it till their next release
  • Options
    sagasaintsagasaint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    I don't know what any of those acronyms mean.
    perfect world international, battle of immortals, war of immortals,forsaken world, jade dynasty, ether saga online, rusty hearts

all games made by PWE
    all games that launched with great hype and pretty large playerbases
    all games that were milked to the last drop thru insane cash shops, then left for dead with skeleton crews
    all games that currently have less than 1% their former playerbase due to PWE antics

PWE make a new game every year and a half - 2 years and repeat the same steps over and over again
  • Options
    ranblaranbla Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sagasaint wrote: »
    all games made with zero long term plans. quick cash grabs destined to take your money and run with it till their next release

This is the sad state of a growing trend in our world. Apparently it's easy to dupe a lot of people over and over... and over. And get away with it. If you bought a founder's pack, you're part of the problem.
  • Options
    toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    1) Champion's Online
    2) STO
    3) Neverwinter

Wait, so the game has a bug. The identify a repro, take the servers down as soon as they can, fix the bug, ban exploiters, and offer a thank you gift to legiter, and you say you arenot sending them anymore money... Ok.

1. It is a free to play game, so do whatever.
    2. The bugs in each game are unique to each game. So pointing out other products with other problems does not constitute a pattern. You would be better off pointing out D3 and perhaps some other game that had the same kind of exploit.

Now dogging on PW for some business practice; that is all you and all your right to has. I personally think Cryptic is a decent company that is trying to make a product they poured a lot of resources into live by working with the devil of a company like PW. PW is straight forward profit. So meh in my mind. They gotta make a buck. I could see waaaay better ways to monetize on this product, but that isn't my call.
  • Options
    toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    ranbla wrote: »
    This is the sad state of a growing trend in our world. Apparently it's easy to dupe a lot of people over and over... and over. And get away with it. If you bought a founder's pack, you're part of the problem.

WINNING! LOL Awesome!
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Wait, so the game has a bug. The identify a repro, take the servers down as soon as they can, fix the bug, ban exploiters, and offer a thank you gift to legiter, and you say you arenot sending them anymore money... Ok.

2. The bugs in each game are unique to each game. So pointing out other products with other problems does not constitute a pattern. You would be better off pointing out D3 and perhaps some other game that had the same kind of exploit.

Now dogging on PW for some business practice; that is all you and all your right to has. I personally think Cryptic is a decent company that is trying to make a product they poured a lot of resources into live by working with the devil of a company like PW. PW is straight forward profit. So meh in my mind. They gotta make a buck. I could see waaaay better ways to monetize on this product, but that isn't my call.

His issue is because it for all intents and purposes, looks like they just copy/pasted the systems from the previous titles (in this case STO) when they made the conversion from "CO-OP RPG" to "MMORPG" and somehow didn't fix the BUG that the game had which caused an uproar there as well (as is my understanding of it)

You can argue that it's right or wrong til the cows come home, but it still looks lazy to many, and baffling how the bug was again replicated causing even temporary damage to the game's economy.
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1) Champion's Online
    2) STO
    3) Neverwinter

I came to Neverwinter fully aware of my past horrible STO experience. My guild mates encouraged me to join them here. But knowing the past drama and such, I didn't spend a dime. I just enjoyed the Foundry and making content. Glad I didn't buy a founder's pack or anything. Don't think I want to risk money on a service that has a rollback during open beta when they claimed there would be no wipes. Might as well have been launch. Funny to see that something from MMO history can so easily repeat itself. ;)

So I enjoy it and don't give them a dime. After all, I'm making free content for them using the Foundry anyways. Good thing I enjoy that exchange.
    Wait, so the game has a bug.

It's how they handled it that bugs me. I didn't loose any progress from this rollback.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    edited May 2013

ofit. So meh in my mind. They gotta make a buck. I could see waaaay better ways to monetize on this product, but that isn't my call.

I'm sorry, where were they giving this away for free?