test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

MMORPG.com's Best MMOs of 2013 So Far

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in News & Announcements
Neverwinter is one of MMORPG.com's "Best MMOs of 2013" so far! http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7421/The-Best-MMOs-of-2013-So-Far.html
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• Options
    blanddudeblanddude Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't brag about anything connected to MMORPG.com, that site has one of the worst reputations in the gaming world. Its forums are filled with trolls that are rewarded by the mods because they don't ban the trolls, they ban those replying to them. The articles are also some of the worst brown-nosed articles online.
  • Options
    xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    "but Neverwinter is proving to be the perfect “pick-up MMO”: the kind of MMORPG you can play for twenty minutes if it’s all you’ve got and feel like you accomplished something worthwhile. The future is bright for this one."

you're 20min+ in the dungeon queue just for a instant group leave because you've got like 5 rogues in the party.
    lold hard
  • Options
    pojzonpojzon Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would rether look more into Reddit community where NW has really bad opinion...
  • Options
    rapha3strapha3st Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Neverwinter is one of MMORPG.com's "Best MMOs of 2013" so far! http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7421/The-Best-MMOs-of-2013-So-Far.html

What a joke with all the exploits going on.
  • Options
    eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oh the first one is GW2.
  • Options
    intrinscintrinsc Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rapha3st wrote: »
    What a joke with all the exploits going on.

Guild Wars 2 had major exploits in its first weeks of commercial launch and you'd have a hard time finding any current GW2 players who aren't wholesomely satisfied with their game.
  • Options
    scoteinocscoteinoc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It IS the best mmorpg ever!
    BUT.. if you want us to realy enjoy it and you make big money out of it, PLEASE fix Exploits, Ban jerks who invented them, clean the game, Wipe the ppl who ruin this awesome adventure!
    I go on playing cause I'm sure you'll fix all that.

Thank you.
  • Options
    zultan9zultan9 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My 2 cents is that they gave us a lot of eye candy and a boatload of marketing. I dont thiml I will ever
    understand the reason you put in a lockbox drop and you have to buy a key to open it...what a joke.
    However I have a lot of time on my hands so playing this game uses up my time along with some golfing.

I have played all the other NWN games found them interesting.
  • Options
    guriplexguriplex Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The boxes are there not because it's Neverwinter, but because that's how PWI works and this one is just a tweaked and re-skinned version of it. So much for the D&D franchise, never saw a game that was less related system-wise to PnP D&D. They just grabbed a regular hack and slash and painted it over and are calling it Dungeons and Dragons.
  • Options
    jaymarujaymaru Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guriplex wrote: »
    The boxes are there not because it's Neverwinter, but because that's how PWI works and this one is just a tweaked and re-skinned version of it. So much for the D&D franchise, never saw a game that was less related system-wise to PnP D&D. They just grabbed a regular hack and slash and painted it over and are calling it Dungeons and Dragons.

Lol? No, this is running on DnD's game engine is what that means you fruit-cake.

Two: Have you played the F2P version of DnD? its battle system is nothing like this dubbed edition.

Three: I'm sure DnD owns the rights too most of their UI and SDK, so to use licensed material that you are not legally allowed to use would result in the game being closed.

Also because they may be using likeness and SDK's from DnD legally they would have to also state that, for example games don't launch from your PC or gaming console, and not show the development companies.

Just because Medal Of Honor Warfighter isn't Battlefield 3
    Doesn't mean MOH can not shows "Frostbite 2" when the game starts.
    But ts not BF3, its nothing like it, so why do they say frostbite engine?

HURMMMM I WUNDEERRR
  • Options
    slinkyfest2005slinkyfest2005 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree at least as far as the distance to the dnd franchise. It isn't a bad MMO, its just not a good DnD MMO.
  • Options
    xsodoxxsodox Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    probably because it's the only notable one so far. Good thing the competition is low or it would be best fail. Still waiting on that email of why my account was suspended. A long with the tickets i have submitted about it so far. No response yet, but still laughable as the database could easily show I was not using the cleric 1-shot exploit or AD because hey if i had to spend money to afford my 2nd respec that prolly means I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and keep an ok amount of diamonds to buy **** items off the AH to turn into gold so I can buy potions and injury kits to keep running gd epic's, and my respec the two time I have done it has been nowhere near the exploit build or has ever been near it *gasp*
  • Options
    rahlorahlo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013

2013 has been <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for mmo's "so far"... grats on not being <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    guriplexguriplex Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jaymaru wrote: »
    Lol? No, this is running on DnD's game engine is what that means you fruit-cake.

Two: Have you played the F2P version of DnD? its battle system is nothing like this dubbed edition.

Three: I'm sure DnD owns the rights too most of their UI and SDK, so to use licensed material that you are not legally allowed to use would result in the game being closed.

Also because they may be using likeness and SDK's from DnD legally they would have to also state that, for example games don't launch from your PC or gaming console, and not show the development companies.

Just because Medal Of Honor Warfighter isn't Battlefield 3
    Doesn't mean MOH can not shows "Frostbite 2" when the game starts.
    But ts not BF3, its nothing like it, so why do they say frostbite engine?

HURMMMM I WUNDEERRR

First (which you forgot, by the way) I'll get back to you on that one if/when I can make sense of what you said.

Two: Are you talking about DDO or PnP D&D? You should try DDO and see how a real D&D videogame is like, if you're talking about D&D 4E, well, that ain't D&D either.

Three: What the hell are you talking about? First of all D&D doesn't own anything, it's a product brand not a company, if you're talking about WoTC they don't own any UI or SDK (if you even know what those mean) because they're not developers, that's why they license their franchise to game developers, duh!

Also, they just own the fluff and PnP systems, the names appear there because the game is called Neverwinter, which is a copyrighted name, and the game is set in the Forgotten Realms campaign which is also (sadly) WoTC's IP. Even if the do own anything programming related that does not bar the franchise holder from using their own IP to publish someone elses fluff. Go play PWI and try find the differences.

ERMAHGERD!
  • Options
    kieronblackkieronblack Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guriplex wrote: »
    Two: Are you talking about DDO or PnP D&D? You should try DDO and see how a real D&D videogame is like, if you're talking about D&D 4E, well, that ain't D&D either.

Exactly. D&D4e is a complete waste, and their upcoming 5e is not much of an improvement. And this is coming from someone who makes his full-time living designing and publishing Table-top Roleplaying Games.

As far as someone complaining about the lockboxes . . . look, not only is that the business model of PWI, but Neverwinter is also 100% non-subscription (unlike Champions and STO). PWI/Cryptic are going to use every trick at their disposal to get players to spend in the cash shop, which is the sole source of revenue for Neverwinter.
  • Options
    jamesl1jamesl1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scoteinoc wrote: »
    PLEASE fix Exploits, Ban jerks who invented them.

you realize these jerks are the developers and QA department who did an incredibly lousy job

I mean, seriously, negative bids ?
    how the hell do you allow people to put NEGATIVE bids in the AH ?
    lol

this is FAR from being the best mmo ever

and as for best mmo of 2013 ?
    they have NW rated above WoW and above Rift
    Rift has incredibly boring quests, but at least its not a bug filled mess
    so that shows you how ridiculous their ranking is
  • Options
    draogndraogn Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Exactly. D&D4e is a complete waste, and their upcoming 5e is not much of an improvement.

This has been said about every edition from 1st to 4th. There are fans for every edition, and each edition brings its own flavor to DnD. DDN will be no different, some people will like it, and some won't.

Just because you don't like 4e doesn't make it any less DnD. The core of DnD is still there, once you get past your own narrow-minded views.
  • Options
    thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. I really like Neverwinter
    2. MMORPG is one of the most overated sites in the whole wide web - and full of clueless "editors"
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • Options
    murlyndmurlynd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    draogn wrote: »
    This has been said about every edition from 1st to 4th. There are fans for every edition, and each edition brings its own flavor to DnD. DDN will be no different, some people will like it, and some won't.

Just because you don't like 4e doesn't make it any less DnD. The core of DnD is still there, once you get past your own narrow-minded views.

The only thing about D&D 4E that makes it D&D is that they kept the settings, even if they introduced campaign-shattering things like the spellplague. But when it comes to the system their idea of making a whole new D&D to attract new players is far from being an improvement, to get the video gamers attention they dumbed down the system and made it basically a pick-your-template model, that I think is totally opposite to the spirit of RPG's which is building unique characters and develop their stories, 4E is more like a plain old hack and slash board game, which may be more in the taste of modern MMO players who never tried a real RPG.

The "Edition Wars" don't have as much relevance as most people try to imply, I didn't like 3E much, not only because it was a more rules oriented system but because all my stuff was AD&D 2nd and I wasn't going to "update" all my Greyhawk campaign. Nevertheless I did update my Ravenloft campaign, because 3E had a lot of nice things that added to the mood of the setting. But the fact is 4E has nothing of value to add to the previous versions since it's not a correction or improvement, it's just a new game with an old name.

All the previous editions built on the experiences of their predecessors and kept the spirit of the game intact, with 4E they reinvented the wheel and almost crashed because they thought they could run their car using square tires.
  • Options
    acrilosacrilos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    murlynd wrote: »
    The only thing about D&D 4E that makes it D&D is that they kept the settings, even if they introduced campaign-shattering things like the spellplague. But when it comes to the system their idea of making a whole new D&D to attract new players is far from being an improvement, to get the video gamers attention they dumbed down the system and made it basically a pick-your-template model, that I think is totally opposite to the spirit of RPG's which is building unique characters and develop their stories, 4E is more like a plain old hack and slash board game, which may be more in the taste of modern MMO players who never tried a real RPG.

The "Edition Wars" don't have as much relevance as most people try to imply, I didn't like 3E much, not only because it was a more rules oriented system but because all my stuff was AD&D 2nd and I wasn't going to "update" all my Greyhawk campaign. Nevertheless I did update my Ravenloft campaign, because 3E had a lot of nice things that added to the mood of the setting. But the fact is 4E has nothing of value to add to the previous versions since it's not a correction or improvement, it's just a new game with an old name.

All the previous editions built on the experiences of their predecessors and kept the spirit of the game intact, with 4E they reinvented the wheel and almost crashed because they thought they could run their car using square tires.

That is your opinion.
    My opinion (for what i's worth) is that DD4 is D&D. I enjoyed playing the 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition and currently enjoy the 4th edition (since its release in 2008). I saw each edition as an evolution of the genre. Rejecting DD4 as a whole is just nonsense. In 4th edition I do the same kind of adventures I did in the previous editions. The spirit of D&D is still there, especially if the players and the dungeon master work to that end. Needless to say that the 1st edition of D&D was only hack & slash. You had to invent and create the rest. It evolved through the edition to include a lot of great tools for the players to enjoy.

To return to the game Neverwinter, the only good D&D game that could be made would be a turn-based game (DDO is far from that too). I remember Dark Sun Online years back that switched to turn-based when you entered combat. Real-time doesn't suit D&D at all. The 4th edition is so tactical is its design that you can't grab its feel if you play it real-time. Neverwinter is far from a D&D MMO. I still enjoy it though.
  • Options
    queelmanqueelman Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People have super high expectations in a very short period of time, People giving the game a bad name because of bugs and what not need to take a deep breath, /quit for 2-3 Months come back and make a fair Judgement at that point.

Like gw2 I have been playing this game hoping to god that they plan on adding end game content so i never have to stop, i love the gameplay and everything about this game. I am hoping for 1 thing to keep me playing this game for years to come.

End game raiding Content, Or at least end game hardmode 5 man dungeons with a drop system and all that based off the WoW Model, because that was my fav part about WoW was the way you had to get the BEST loot in the game, The way it dropped instead of tokens and stuff.

Im not saying not to make other ways to get this armor, for people who dont want to raid or whatever, But it should be obtained easier for people willing to devote the time and practice to be able to find a Team and complete these hard dungeons, and If you fail then maybe you can have a couple other options to obtain this gear, (IMO nothing is as fun as Getting it in end game dungeons).

I understand some of this might not fit into the D&D Story or whatever, But the game is Based on that Idea, It isnt D&D Remade or nothing, I dont see a problem going in a Different direction (Raiding and stuff). Im looking for the Longevity of the game, and How much potential it has, With the foundry opening SO MANY possibilities (Player Made End Game Raids etc.) They could make this a very very profitable game for a Lot of years to come.

Quick Idea: Let players make end game Raid content, and Enter their content into a Test server or a place for people to test player made content, They should have a contest every 3-4 months and the winner of this contest with the best personally made dungeon gets to offer the Highest Tier of loot they plan on releasing or allready have released, and that scaled with the 1st 2nd 3rd place winners (3 end game dungeons) And they scale their Difficulty and touch up minor details to their specific Needs and Wants. Obviously they need to make money to want to keep this game going.

They need to make Incentives for people to want to make their own content in hopes of winning this tournament.

PWE could even charge for a Dungeon Designer Ability and offer the tools needed to make high quality player made dungeons.

Just a quick rant/Idea

my Overall rating of NW right now 7.5/10 (Lower because it was just released and yet to see what they plan to add)

My Overall Potential Rating- 100/10 I think this game is 100x funner to play than WoW, But i like how WoW does their Loot, and Their Armor tiers and How you can be much stronger than the next guy who just hit max level. (thats what i hate about gw2)

I cant wait to see where they go with this and hope to god the end game is added to make this a awesome game for many years :)!!!
  • Options
    kaywindkaywind Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah this game is amazing, but I need ROMANCE quests! MMORPGs are all about hack and slash and grinding, why can't we have a little depth and story?
  • Options
    lobotomizelobotomize Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Probably because it's true.
  • Options
    locklavelocklave Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    murlynd wrote: »

All that said I'm surprised they are having any problems at all with class balance given the extremely limited options. You could literally spreadsheet every class with every option and see the glaring issues.

4e basically gave up all the RP elements of 2-3e for a combat system. 4e is tactical combat game, virtually all non combat elements have been abandon and Neverwinter is using the 4.5e rules. 4.5e being the I'm too stupid to build a character edition.

That aside I agree that 4e tried to reinvent the wheel. Try to find a magical item that doesn't directly involve combat or a skill bonus, 2-3e had many, 4e has nearly none. The combat system was refreshing but outside of that nearly all of the charm is lost.
  • Options
    locklavelocklave Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kaywind wrote: »
    Yeah this game is amazing, but I need ROMANCE quests! MMORPGs are all about hack and slash and grinding, why can't we have a little depth and story?

Because 4e is all about killing things unfortunately. Lol did you play swtor? Sounds like you did from this post. The only thing I miss about that game was the story and companions, I'd still be playing if the combat system didn't make me feel weak. You certainly didn't live up to the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> level of the cut scenes.
  • Options
    mallonslefrmallonslefr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lol BEST MMO so far? umm, if they based that on number of players => easy priar bot, so many.
    QUality? umm they must mistaken the game...
    End game content? wow then they might have never reached 60
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kaywind wrote: »
    No MMOs are all about killing, RPGs have killing and depth. This game is all MMO, no RPG invovled. For most of the modern 15 to 25yo American the game needs to be fast and bloody (sexytime is a bonus for them). They are the ones that truly make an MMO successful, without them you will not make the money. Depth requires more time and brain power than they are willing to expend. Any online game that really wants to try and be an RPG with depth(backstory, romance, intrigue, complex characters) would have to resign its self to being a Small Multiplayer Online game. Thats why games such as the original Dragon Age, and The Witcher came out as single player.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    planartardsplanartards Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2013
    What a joke.
    Join responsible gamers and boycott the Xbox One
    Don't be a fool, Open Beta with working cash shop=Live Release
  • Options
    furion192furion192 Member Posts: 187 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I believe these will be the best MMORPG if they are able to fix all exploits and bugs. So far they haven't fix major bugs that rly needs to be fix like the ability scores bug. Hopefully they can fix these bug asap these bug has been reported since the 1st or 2nd wk(not sure) of its release.
    SIGNATURE