test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

2 chickens and a duck and this sword is yours

deimosesdeimoses Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
do we really need that many types of currency,

Gold
Astral Diamonds
Glory
Zen
Ardent Coins
Celestial Coins
tarmalune trade bars
4 types of Seals

i mean i understand the Zen ,Gold ,Glory and even Astral Diamonds but the others? why? what purpose does it serve to have a plethora of currency exchanges. and if we must have such a wild system why not allow me to (at a higher rate) used good old fashioned gold in place of all but zen and glory , seriously what merchant doesn't want gold?
Post edited by deimoses on

Comments

• Options
    lsafa7llsafa7l Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well the rest arent really important nor tradeable think of the coins as tokens for rewards every day
  • Options
    deimosesdeimoses Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    as a player i shouldn't have to focus on what type of money the vendor wants, like i said i get having the certain types for real money,pvp,pve ect, but theirs way to many "unimportant" currencys and that can be very daunting to a new player.
  • Options
    ronincavalierronincavalier Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its to separate you from the idea that you are spending real money. Some of them are time sinks that are designed to keep you from realizing that you will need to spend obscene amounts of time to actually achieve them.

I noticed the Orc bounty fellow in the Tower district. 10 orc crests for a bag of goodies and 40 for a single lion crest. The fellow right next to him sells stuff for Lion Crests. On average his things go for about 50 crests. So as I rolled up with my twenty five orc crests after about 15 minutes of out-leveled orc murder, I did some math.

About 15 minutes for about 25 crests, bump it up to about half an hour for 1 lion crest. So to get just one thing from the crest vendor I would need to keep my level 20 in a level 12 zone steadily murdering orcs for about 25 hours.

You aren't meant to notice this with a menagerie of currencies. And pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
  • Options
    kinada350kinada350 Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    The bounties in various zones are just a bonus to get you some extra greens, which if you don't need you can save and maybe get a single crest. You are really meant to get those from dungeons.
  • Options
    ronincavalierronincavalier Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kinada350 wrote: »
    The bounties in various zones are just a bonus to get you some extra greens, which if you don't need you can save and maybe get a single crest. You are really meant to get those from dungeons.

Would these be the dungeons where everyone is rolling on everyone else's loot? No thanks, if I wanted to get beaten up and stolen from I can just walk down town. I much prefer the PVE game over the PVP dice game in dungeons.
  • Options
    pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's good for whaling confused Americans.
  • Options
    glomoroglomoro Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's got less to do with Cryptic and PW wanting to hide the amount of time spent grinding, and more to do with Cryptic making too many currency types all the time. Let's take a gander at Champions online back in 2009 to 2010, before Perfect World and before free to play was even an option, or a thought crossing their minds. In no particular order we had

Globals: Split into local, national and global resources, these were your bread and butter pick up from enemies, get from selling stuff, use to buy stuff currency.

Perk Points: These are still around, but they do absolutely nothing now. Well, to be fair they did nothing back then either, except make you travel back to Millennium City to earn your perk related rewards.

Acclaim: The PvP currency. Worked more or less as expected back then, now it's hard to come by and buys almost nothing worth having but is still around for gods know what reason.

Snake Gulch Bucks: These dropped, and still drop, in Snake Gulch out in the Southwest Desert map. They buy action figures or costume pieces you either already have or have no desire to get with the amount of grinding you need to do to get enough.

UNITY Daily Currency, times two: Yes you read that correctly, dailies dealt with two separate currencies. For no reason other than to make you exchange one for a means to earn the other, as I recall.

Cryptic/Atari Points (the name changed several times): The cash shop currency. Champions had a cash shop before it was free to play, full of cosmetic goodies and such. The conversion rate from dollars to C/AP was 1 dollar to 80 C/AP, which was kind of silly so it was actually nice to see the 100 = 1 for Zen = dollars now... except if you want anything that costs less than or more than a specific denomination of Zen purchasing options. Which is every single thing. But let's save that for another time.

I count no less than three completely pointless currencies in there, and it was still a 14.99 a month pay to play model at the time, no affiliation with PW. After free to play, even more separate additional currencies have been added, rather than find a use for some of the ones they already had they made a ton more on top of everything else when adding new ways to acquire little bits of in game content. But at least part of that also predates PW.

Cryptic likes making currency types, whatever their reasoning may be. CO still has all of these types, even if some are only in a antiquated "if you still have this you can sort of do something with it" role, or a "see how high you can get this number" role, plus they added a bunch more currencies. So, expect to see more and more types of currency in NW if new content is added and they don't want to just make an old one doubly useful.

Travel power suggestion threads: Air Walk, Heavy Weapon Flight, Cape Glide improvement
    Power suggestion threads: Annihilate
  • Options
    ana1963ana1963 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It must a low-quality sword, if you're selling it for that poultry sum.
  • Options
    hebemihebemi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    ana1963 wrote: »

or you are a GREEDY Money grubber who has mommy and dfaddy paying for every thing for you so that you dont have to work for anything in your life so you dont value anything (CAN YOU SAY SCROUGE!!!)
  • Options
    hebemihebemi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013

or you are a GREEDY Money grubber who has mommy and dfaddy paying for every thing for you so that you dont have to work for anything in your life so you dont value anything (CAN YOU SAY SCROUGE!!!)
  • Options
    adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can say scrooge though...and the poultry sum was good humor:P as opposed to paltry for those collective heads it went over.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a new currency you should add, I think: Cats. :P
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    lethargytartarelethargytartare Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I saw what you did there.
  • Options
    deculbdeculb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My, but some of the jokes in this thread are pretty fowl. :D
  • Options
    glomoroglomoro Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deculb wrote: »
    My, but some of the jokes in this thread are pretty fowl. :D

I could murder someone for these jokes.

(Y'know. Like, a murder of crows. No? Well, that is a thing that you call groups of them. I think collective noun for frogs is army. Or an array of hedgehogs.)

Travel power suggestion threads: Air Walk, Heavy Weapon Flight, Cape Glide improvement
    Power suggestion threads: Annihilate
  • Options
    dracothdracoth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No no... Ill give you 2 chicken eggs and a ducks egg... Just work on raising them yourself...
  • Options
    sinamonsinamon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Astral Diamonds are pointless. Its a Perfect World thing. They have 0 truly successful MMOs and if Cryptic keeps letting PWE direct traffic Neverwinter will be gone very quickly.

Glory = PVP loot
    Seals = Dungeon Loot
    Gold = Normal Vendors and AH
    Zen = Bought with Real Money or Earned from specific quest lines. There doesnt need to be a way to buy cash shop items from an in game currency or youll just continuously run into problems like this.

What about dailys have them give appropriate level seals problem solved.

The AD/Zen thing has been exploited in every PWE game that has it in it. They dont care. This is why Cryptic needs to move STO and Neverwinter to a new publisher.
  • Options
    dracothdracoth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sinamon wrote: »
    The AD/Zen thing has been exploited in every PWE game that has it in it. They dont care. This is why Cryptic needs to move STO and Neverwinter to a new publisher.

Either that or many PWE quit have them give their company to cryptic... Marketing sucks imo... Whether its FTP games or Console games, some good games are just ruined by bad decisions and at times they just need a huge slap in the face...