test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Map file Patching.

copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
For God's sake, learn how to patch properly. It is ridiculous that we have to sometimes sit 10+ minutes staring at a screenshot while we're patching 2-5 files of a map.
Make the patching run in the background for the content relevant to the player's level. If you don't know how to do it, go check kids games like Wizard101 and Pirate101. It is not rocket science. Just don't freaking make me queue for 30min for a dungeon, only to wait 10min to patch a handful of files, and finally end up in the dungeon alone cause I was kicked out of the party.
Stop working on new classes
Stop working on class balance
Stop working on new content
Stop coming up with new ways to squeeze $$ out of players
And please just focus on the basic and elementary issues at hand.

Thank you.
Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
Post edited by copticone on

Comments

• Options
    moustachelolmoustachelol Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Goto launcher, press options and disable on-demand patching.
  • Options
    doppelmockdoppelmock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In the launcher there's an option to disable on-demand patching.

Usually on-demand patching is very fast and hardly noticeable, but the patch server seems to be swamped today. In general I think the patch process has been pretty solid. As to the plea to stop working on other aspects of the game, there are different groups working on different pieces. Why would you assume they're not working on the "basic and elementary issues at hand"?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    doppelmock wrote: »
    In the launcher there's an option to disable on-demand patching.

Usually on-demand patching is very fast and hardly noticeable, but the patch server seems to be swamped today. In general I think the patch process has been pretty solid. As to the plea to stop working on other aspects of the game, there are different groups working on different pieces. Why would you assume they're not working on the "basic and elementary issues at hand"?

I was exaggerating my plea of course. I did see that disabling on demand patching and I will try it. I am not sure if this will solve the issue. From what I read it actually prolongs the loading screens of areas. I dont have a problem with patching when I launch the game. It's the patching that occurs when I join Skirms or Dungeons.

Edit: ok so I disable it, and it looks like it is patching everything at launch. So will see how this works.
  • Options
    kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So much QQ and it was YOU who was at fault.

Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kaskian wrote: »
    So much QQ and it was YOU who was at fault.

You're trolling just to say that? What fault? The DEFAULT is exactly what I was complaining about. The alternative is to patch 1.5gig at the moment which probably going to take like 30min or so. That's the solution?
    Is it so much of a QQ to suggest patching in the background? I'd rather sit in town on my horse reading ZONE spam, while my files are being patched, then either of these alternatives. But I guess some people just browse the forum attempting to sound cool by flagging anything as QQ.
  • Options
    laviumlavium Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    Sadly, disabling on-demand patching won't make the patching go any faster. It'll still patch at 1k/s, you just won't be able to "play" while you wait. There's absolutely no good reason why we can't download the extra 2gigs at a normal rate via torrent or something.
  • Options
    zenderwidebodyzenderwidebody Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    you're trolling just to say that? What fault? The default is exactly what i was complaining about. The alternative is to patch 1.5gig at the moment which probably going to take like 30min or so. That's the solution?
    Is it so much of a qq to suggest patching in the background? I'd rather sit in town on my horse reading zone spam, while my files are being patched, then either of these alternatives. But i guess some people just browse the forum attempting to sound cool by flagging anything as qq.

qq
    qq
    qq
    qq
    qq
  • Options
    doppelmockdoppelmock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was exaggerating my plea of course. I did see that disabling on demand patching and I will try it. I am not sure if this will solve the issue. From what I read it actually prolongs the loading screens of areas. I dont have a problem with patching when I launch the game. It's the patching that occurs when I join Skirms or Dungeons.

I knew it was an exaggeration, but I'm a little disappointed with the level of angst and vitriol tossed around. Not to single you out specifically, as there are many posts which are much more egregious displays of bilious whining.

The default on-demand will only patch a specific area when you first load it. Subsequent loads will not be patched until the next update. If you disable it, all pending patches for all areas will be loaded when you launch the client. You're right, obviously this isn't a great day to try it with the patch service being swamped, as you'll slowly be loading patches for areas you won't even play today.

Best to keep the on-demand up, and stick to areas that are fully patched until the service is back up to speed.
  • Options
    dstuffledstuffle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just be aware that disableing on demand means you have to download all patched before you can get back in the game. That's 1,969 MB of download for me. :(

But I was stuck zoning into Helms for 20 min seeing "Server not responding"
  • Options
    kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You QQ'd because you didn't know about the Disable On Demand Patching.
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    squareysquarey Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For God's sake, learn how to patch properly. It is ridiculous that we have to sometimes sit 10+ minutes staring at a screenshot while we're patching 2-5 files of a map.
    Make the patching run in the background for the content relevant to the player's level. If you don't know how to do it, go check kids games like Wizard101 and Pirate101. It is not rocket science. Just don't freaking make me queue for 30min for a dungeon, only to wait 10min to patch a handful of files, and finally end up in the dungeon alone cause I was kicked out of the party.
    Stop working on new classes
    Stop working on class balance
    Stop working on new content
    Stop coming up with new ways to squeeze $$ out of players
    And please just focus on the basic and elementary issues at hand.

Thank you.

The only thing I understood from this post is qq qq qq qq qq qq qq and qq.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . I'm closing this to prevent it from further going bad. As stated, this is a user setting that you can disable in the Launcher Options > Disable On-Demand Patching.
This discussion has been closed.