test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Linkwell Inheritance (review trade)

lostchartalostcharta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 29 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Hi,

Thought I'd create a thread for the campaign I'm working on. Intended to be three quests long with a decent balance between story and combat.

The first part of it is up now.

NW-DIRYOWUKY
The Linkwell Crypt
@lostcharta

Edit:
The second part is also up if you want to give it a go.

NW-DPXB42EEH
The Linkwell Vault
@lostcharta

I've also modified the first quest in response to some reviews saying that parts of the crypt were too sparsely populated. More mobs now, and extra encounters spawn as the quest progresses.
End edit:

Will trade reviews for other reviews.

If you leave your quest details I'll review yours. If you'd prefer me to leave the review in your quest thread then say so, and/or add the link.

And now, some tasters of what you will encounter on the quest...

6652e6ab-ff08-4921-8947-28beacac0bfd_zps371de7b9.jpg
These people are trustworthy. Look at their trustworthy faces. One of them has a hat.

e50b6b08-7416-46aa-abf0-e62c5811b449_zps11813171.jpg
This is a safe place with many kittens

f901132c-8b48-4fc8-82c8-d1e010a953f1_zpsbb04ec19.jpg
The mist is made of happiness

screenshot_2013-05-18-00-48-33_zpsf4455eff.jpg
What a nice day for a walk. I can feel the sun on my skin. Wait a minute...

EDIT:
NW-DFJR2DOH @zelrant: Reviewed
NW-DDZ6NDJ9W @thesecondseven : Reviewed

NW-DIRYOWUKYNW-DPXB42EEH
The Linkwell CryptThe Linkwell Vault

@lostcharta
solo campaign, balanced
review thread
Post edited by lostcharta on

Comments

• Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice one, I really enjoyed a lot. One of the best part was "The chest is empty" wtf!!?? ;)

Feel free to review my quest:

Title: Sir Frederic Fitzgerald Sword.
    Short Code: NW-DBFVM3IQ4
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    zelrantzelrant Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey, let's trade reviews. I just published my first foundry quest and I really need some feedback too. =)
    I'll do your quest in a while.

Here's mine:

NW-DFJR2DOH6 - The Epic: Secrets of Shiganshina
    Recommended Players: 1
    Est. Playtime: 10-20mins (depending on the choice you'll make at one point and if you like to explore)

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    thesecondseventhesecondseven Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Edit: Reviewed - Overall pretty enjoyable. I liked the outside environment and the cave inside the crypt that had a nice unique vibe to it. Throughout the quest there were times of long running without any encounters, i could have used some more combat along the way.

I thought the fake ending was unique and fun, good job on that!

Always looking for more views on my foundry!

Here's mine:

NW-DDZ6NDJ9W - The Legend of Adlez - Dungeon 1
    Tuned for 1 player
    Playtime ~20 minutes

Review in the thread would be nice for a bumb. Struggling to get to 20 plays with my foundry!
  • Options
    lostchartalostcharta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @zelrant
    NW-DFJR2DOH6 - The Epic: Secrets of Shiganshina

Reviewed
    That was fun. I like the optional bosses, especially the one I had to summon. The summoning itself with the swirl effects above the pillar was nice.
    I has some items left over at the end so maybe I missed another optional boss. Don't know. I had the orb and a soul ring...

Anyways Combat was good, not too difficult except the summoned extra boss which was clearly meant to be of a higher level of difficult to the rest.

The areas could do with a little more set dressing though, random items strewn around. Carts in the street, furniture in the house ect. They look a bit bare at present.

Some specific comments...
    * Some of the chat text had things like "You're the new guy" and "kill him". My character at the time was female. I don't know if there's a way to switch between two words depending, but what I've done in my one is just keep the text gender neutral.
    * Some of the boxes are all yellow text. Might be better to keep the highlighting just for the most important points.
    * The door to the house it floating in front of the real doorway. It might be better to use an invisible object here.
    * When going by the roof shortcut it's possible to backtrack back to the tree and therefore have 2 Rantz standing side by side. Might be better to make the 1st one vanish when you reach the end of the street.
    * It was hard to tell in the middle of the fight but was that dog thing a reskin of something not shaped like a dog? That usually doesn't work as well because it doesn't have the animations. It still does the attacks but it doesn't move during them. Maybe it was and I just didn't catch it.

NW-DIRYOWUKYNW-DPXB42EEH

@lostcharta
    solo campaign, balanced
    review thread
  • Options
    alucard060alucard060 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just finished up playing "The Linkwell Crypt" and had a great time! I was very impressed with the dialog throughout. Big whiskey was particularly likable. The atmosphere of the Crypt was well done, definitely got me immersed! There was also plenty of small touches and hidden encounters throughout that made every part of the map felt like it was worth exploring. With all that said, there were a few small things I noticed.

1) There is rope coming through the shelve in the storage closet just to the right of the door.
    2) I believe there is a typo of tome instead of tomb in one of the chat options while talking to Linkwell. (Sorry I couldn't be more specific)
    3) Again in one of the chat options with Linkwell there is a line "The doors crypt will open only...) I think that entire line was meant to be deleted as it is written and reworded directly below it.
    4) Just behind the Crypt entrance (I think slightly SE) maybe 30 feet there is a pile of rocks that are floating off the ground.
    5) This is entirely up to you, but I believe there is animations you can use when opening big doors like the ones in the crypt.
    6) There was a bugged arrow trap near the base of one of the stairs (There was a dead adventurer that tried to hide up top) The arrow trap kept firing even after it was disarmed.
    7) While talking to the dead adventurer that had a note about leaving the crypt, I was attacked by a battle wight commander that had spawned nearby. I had to exit out of the chat dialog to deal with it. ( Maybe it was intended this way, or maybe I was too blind to see it spawn before I started talking)
    8) In one room near the center of the crypt there were 3 spiders behind a door. Inside that room the cobwebs and egg sacs seemed to be floating a bit.
    9) If you hug the walls in the hallways there is quite a noticeable clipping issue. (would require quite a bit of work with invisible walls to fix I am sure)
    10) In the tomb of Matheus (sp?) the two far statues had slight clipping issues at their bases.

Again excellent job overall! Gave it a 5! And also thanks again for giving my quest a great review.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    alucard060 wrote: »
    Just finished up playing "The Linkwell Crypt" and had a great time! I was very impressed with the dialog throughout. Big whiskey was particularly likable. The atmosphere of the Crypt was well done, definitely got me immersed! There was also plenty of small touches and hidden encounters throughout that made every part of the map felt like it was worth exploring. With all that said, there were a few small things I noticed.

1) There is rope coming through the shelve in the storage closet just to the right of the door.
    2) I believe there is a typo of tome instead of tomb in one of the chat options while talking to Linkwell. (Sorry I couldn't be more specific)
    3) Again in one of the chat options with Linkwell there is a line "The doors crypt will open only...) I think that entire line was meant to be deleted as it is written and reworded directly below it.
    4) Just behind the Crypt entrance (I think slightly SE) maybe 30 feet there is a pile of rocks that are floating off the ground.
    5) This is entirely up to you, but I believe there is animations you can use when opening big doors like the ones in the crypt.
    6) There was a bugged arrow trap near the base of one of the stairs (There was a dead adventurer that tried to hide up top) The arrow trap kept firing even after it was disarmed.
    7) While talking to the dead adventurer that had a note about leaving the crypt, I was attacked by a battle wight commander that had spawned nearby. I had to exit out of the chat dialog to deal with it. ( Maybe it was intended this way, or maybe I was too blind to see it spawn before I started talking)
    8) In one room near the center of the crypt there were 3 spiders behind a door. Inside that room the cobwebs and egg sacs seemed to be floating a bit.
    9) If you hug the walls in the hallways there is quite a noticeable clipping issue. (would require quite a bit of work with invisible walls to fix I am sure)
    10) In the tomb of Matheus (sp?) the two far statues had slight clipping issues at their bases.

Again excellent job overall! Gave it a 5! And also thanks again for giving my quest a great review.

Wow, thanks for the in depth review

2,3) Can't believe I missed them. Dialog changed.
    1,4) Changed. The rocks weren't even in the playable area of the map! You really searched thoroughly :)
    5) All the doors are standard doors. I don't think you can add animations to them. If you find a way please tell me.
    6) Can't reproduce this. For me it fires once and stops. I'll keep looking into it but maybe its a bug and only happens sometimes.
    7) Greatly increased the spawn radius so it should spawn before you enter the dialog.
    8) Nailed spiderwebs to the floor. Except the massive one above you covering the ceiling.
    9) Yeah, problem with the tileset.
    10) Wasn't sure whether you meant the tomb or the boss area. Doesn't matter because...
    10a)... Found one statue in the boss area slightly floating.
    10b)... Found two statues clipping into the wall in the tomb. Slightly annoying as these are the ones that come as part of the set when you change the lighting to "red glow-statues". Have replaced them with my own statues. Tomb now looks even creepier.

Again, thanks for checking so thoroughly. By the review you left in game you even found some of the extra dialogue :)

NW-DIRYOWUKYNW-DPXB42EEH

@lostcharta
    solo campaign, balanced
    review thread
  • Options
    alucard060alucard060 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're welcome! :) Yeah I tried to explore every nook and cranny and see if I could bug it out. Even tried to get myself stuck in a few places, but couldn't haha. 10) I was referring to the room that had the coffin with the key inside. There are two sets of stairs on either side of the coffin. The two far statues in that room are (just barely) clipping through the stones near their base (The side facing the coffin) I think they might have been the ones you fixed in 10b) As for number 5) I may be mistaken, I will test it at some point, but right now I am working on re-doing my spider room. Already fixed most of everything else you mentioned about mine. I should hopefully have a playable version either late tonight or tomorrow night with the updated spider room.
  • Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lostcharta's quest= 'The Linkwell Crypt - nw-diryowuky' I found the story amusing and the debt collectors at the end I was almost screaming when I re-entered the dungeon though. Anther quest for the second part - I will play sometime. I did laugh at how big the family crypt was though - was more the size of an underground city. I must learn from you and voivodak how to make npc's fight and also, how do you end 1 battle and then have the mobs appear out of thin air? Anyway; unfortunately I did not get to rate or tip because I pressed "f" at the wrong time trying to loot - when I play the second part I will rate or do again. 4.5 stars.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Will trade reviews, my quest is in my signature. Will update this post once I have reviewed one of your quests.

Below is my review and notes about The Linkwell Crypt, it unavoidably contains some minor spoilers.

1. First dialogue with Aaron Linkwell, one of my dialogue choices is to ask,"Wait...why was the tome sealed?" I think you meant tomb instead of tome.

2. <Spoiler> I really liked the Giant Spider attack just prior to entering the crypt for the first time...that spider was HUGE!

3. Good encounters, I like that almost all of the encounter groups were patrolling instead of waiting for me, also good ambushes.

4. Ending dialogue with Aaron Linkwell, correction after I say,"You sent me there to die!" he says,"Now now, I had not idea that Matheus has risen again. How was I to know that?" Change "not" to "no".

I thought this quest was really well written, and actually found myself interested in Linkletter, Big Whiskey, and what was up with the Hornets. 5 stars and tip!
  • Options
    nam19772nam19772 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just finished the Linkwell Crypt with my lvl58 TR. It was very good, especially the dialogues and characterization.
    My only criticism would be that there are a bit too many elite mobs sometimes, especially with the lvl scaling being what it is. My tank companion was getting 2 shotted and I often had to run away and abuse LoS to get my stealth bar refilled in order to win a fight. Still it was doable and I assume easier fights would make the quest trivial for lower lvls or classes.
  • Options
    hflord1hflord1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Speaking to Big Whiskey in the Vault right after entering: Cosy should be spelled "cozy"
    Speaking to Big Whiskey after I hand him the note. Enquiries should be "Inquiries".

Only small complaints would be there there is a lot of running in between the levers and such - those halls could use more decor and though fights kept spawning there weren't quiet enough to distract me from all the running.

All in all it was a very well done quest. Tip included for certain :)
  • Options
    belberkbelberk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited June 2013
    We played the Linkwell Vault and it was a ton of fun, not only was the combat well balanced but the mix of interacting with the quest givers made sense. Great quest flow. I loved the use of the NPC's in the beginning. We both gave you 5/5 stars, very well done. We're going to give the other Linkwell quest a go. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quests:
    The Eternal Light NW-DO335J3SZ D.F.E.
    Revenge Of The Companions NW-DMHJNCEY5

Campaign:
    The Light In The Darkness NWS-DJIAO4D3J
    An Unlikely Hero NW-DCFZNQZLR D.F.E.
    The Puppet Master NW-DM8BI99QJ D.F.E.