test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are GF's even used in high end play?

bloodytrailzbloodytrailz Member Posts: 25 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
IE: High end T2 dungeons/castle neverwinter etc?
I know the popular thing is double cleric...so does that even leave room for a GF? (With only 2 DPS class nothing will ever die?)
Post edited by bloodytrailz on

Comments

• snowballosnowballo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Properly built conqueror dps GF works.
    Snow's Melee Arena: NW-DMT7STJ9E
    Combat arena. Adjustable challenge.
    Difficulty: Adjustable easy - very hard
    Duration: Adjustable 1 - 25min
  • bloodytrailzbloodytrailz Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That was my overall plan, a pure PVE conqueror GF...just wondering if i should up my CW or my GF (have a cousin whos a 60 cleric and a up and coming soon to be 60 CW friend, am currently an 8.8k GS rogue but looking to switch since rogues are a dime a dozen -.-; )
  • mysralmysral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I just heard there is some bug making GF's do 100k+ or millions+ damage,(like the CW bug) so someones been using them to beat bosses down in a few swings.

No idea how it works but probably has something to do with a set bonus like cw's.
  • bloodytrailzbloodytrailz Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know the bug you speak of, it's the 4piece bonus of 1 of the T2 sets thats bugged out giving him that insane damage.
  • jcfisher3rdjcfisher3rd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They can be but they are sub optimal due to the current game mechanics. Leaving aside the exploits.
  • taiwandaisytaiwandaisy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Look the strongest GF.
    http://www.twitch.tv/skylark6216/b/403445038
    GF Kill T2 dragon by one attack.
  • unirodunirod Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    2-3 clerics rest rogues. <-- this is the most viable meta as of now.
  • sepheresephere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I've been getting this feeling that my defensive gf is nothing but cannon fodder, and a feeling of uselessness in partys;
    might just go back to rogue (seems like most of the fights are killing adds on a cleric anyway, and rogue as well as cw, are good for that)
    I kinda wished the defensive gf was like The build, but it kind of feels pointless, and I don't want to play a dps gf, so......
  • maiku217maiku217 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He's going to get banned lol.

2Uz1A.jpg

2UyAC.png

No need bug.

5% crit from a rogue, 10k power from DC heals. Done.
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont think the only tank class in the game should HAVE to roll the dps tree to be viable, how backwards is that?
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • aetam1aetam1 Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maiku217 wrote: »

2UyAC.png

Which encounter powers did you use for that?

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
  • maiku217maiku217 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Into the fray + enforced threat = daily = immortal.
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • comaetilicocomaetilico Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    He's going to get banned lol.

2Uz1A.jpg

2UyAC.png

No need bug.

5% crit from a rogue, 10k power from DC heals. Done.

I notice that this time u avoided the full screen where is showed that u'r running with only other 3 player (one of wich is disconnected)... and still... it's not you that'r that good rather tha mage and thief that are really ****... those dmg usually came up before u reach the first boss on every dung...

any way... rolling a GF to run as a dps is just a silly thing to do... u can just do the same thing but better with other classes (even GWF that also has some good problem... can be a better dps than dps specced GF... don't even talk about CW or TR)... what can we do better than other? on the paper it should be old aggro from bosses or add.... but thare are too many adds in boss fight for our 5 or 3 target capped aoe... and tanking the boss is totally useless in most fight since every dps can avoid his charged attacks with easy... so the best a GF can do to be usefull is to herd the ads (thing that CW whold be able to do without us thx to push, singularity and many other low cd CC) and try to at least take the ranged ones away from the cleirc (since ranged ads are usually fewer in numbers and with less hp we can use with efficiency our limited target aoe to hold aggro of them and dish out enough dps to take them down before the next wave spawn...)... but still that same role can be covered by other classes in a better or faster way...
  • aetam1aetam1 Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks, I will try that :)

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
    edited May 2013
    Actually, they're all the same pic/dungeon DC left because a CW afked and he died. :) That and Crtl + shift + c for a program called puush lets me capture certain areas freely which means uploading a bigger picture for you to see would be easier than uploading an attachment which you'd have to click. This dungeon was run just about 1 hour ago.

Now to your WoW logic.. why can't you make a tank dps? You have the dmg, you're less of a paper than a rogue and you're better at holding aggro. Instead of being a glass cannon, you're just a cannon. Actually, all classes in this game are allowed to have a kite/self heal spec so why not use it? Using what you've been given to your advantage > whine about how what you're given is incorrect. Actually the TR is better with bosses on their self heal spec, get 3k recovery and you can down epic bosses to half hp before dying once, use a self scroll then do the same. Stealth + impossible to catch makes you immortal + dazzling strike(or w/e) + bait and switch with soulforge enchantment makes you near immortal in pve.
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • nibenay78nibenay78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi,

I rolled up at GF halfling and figured I'd make one that focuses on Con (start: 18) and Dex (start: 18) to maximize the defensive aspect. As I hit 30 I started going up the "protector" path on feaths and as I'm around 45 now i feel the group would be better off with another From what I read here it seems like a pointless build and only a DPS/conqueror is doing good in high level...

I'm probably not going to PVP a whole lot (if any), and I can live with not having an "uber" PVE build. But I'd also like to have char that is at least vaguely useful for the group of friends that play! If someone can give me some comments on this?
  • comaetilicocomaetilico Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    I really like when people call me a WoW player... because I played almost every (not all but almost all...) MMO since Ultima Online... but missed on WoW... ( lol )

u CAN be a dps... but u wil be perfomring worse than class that are BUILT to be a dps... why? simple... because in PvE pure dps are better than hybrid... gtaoe and pbaoe can be avoided with easy (they have such long build up...)... u don't have to survive trough them... hybrids are good for pvp but against an AI (and let us say that this game's AI are all but impressive and unpredictable...) u don't really need that much survival... the big swing can be dodged by every class (actually GF is the one that have most problem with them since we have to manually walk out of them cause blocking them will sink our guard bar too much and still we are able get away without a problem...)...

so since it seem that u'r ok with my previous analyss that a Tank specced GF doesn't bring nothing to the party that other can't do better... let see what a DPS GF bring to the party that other can't do better...

nothing... as said our dps spec is a hybrid tank/dps... with less dps but more survival than otehr dps specced for pure dps... except that as explained before u don't need survival spec (unless u'r running without a cleric... and so a cleric will bring to the party much more that what u can bring no matter wich other class you'r playing... ^^')

the additional aggro u bring is useless since as explained before u don't have enough aoe to apply that additional aggro to enough adds... and against the boss is useless since a rogue can tank the boss without problem without even have to use that survival spec u'r alking about ^^' (there are plenty of video of rogue tanking the boss... I'm not talking about the solo dung video where is obvious that a survival spec help a lot... but normal group where the rogue tank the boss instead of the GF... )

now... is it true that GF have no place in a dungeon group? NO...

is it true that u can take other classes in place of a GF and make your run easier? YES...

I still run dung with my guild with our setup of 1 cleric 1 gf, 1 CW and 2 dps (without concern about TR or GWF...) still we know that by bringing a second cleric in my place it will make thing faster and easier... but at least I found a group that likes challanges more than drop... so I can still play with them without feeling guilt of slowing their progression...
    edited May 2013
    Here's my latest CN run (unfinished) Mr. GF is not DPS. :) Just did it 5 mins ago and uploaded it just for you. <3

2UFML.png

2UFRD.jpg

2UFRN.jpg

Just to show you that this is my only set.
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • snowballosnowballo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Conqueror GF still tanks perfectly fine.
    Threatening rush + cleave and if needed the aoe shout, into re-applying more threatening rushes all over the place if ya happen to loose it will keep ALL mobs glued on your behind forever.

You CAN tank + DPS.
    You DO have perfect spammable aoe with cleave.
    Combine this with Fighters Recovery, to self fullheal anytime you need.

Yes there are not many ways you can use GF and be it more useful than other classes.
    But no way in hell a 2nd cleric is gonna bring more dps to the group than my GF aoe gathering (or if CW does that for you, aoe dmging)
    And once you are able to stay alive vs all the mobs and keep them glued to you, what's the purpose of a 2nd cleric? None.

A properly played dps GF that tanks will always be better than the 2x cleric 3x dps setup.
    Snow's Melee Arena: NW-DMT7STJ9E
    Combat arena. Adjustable challenge.
    Difficulty: Adjustable easy - very hard
    Duration: Adjustable 1 - 25min
  • chchchuin1chchchuin1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how maiku get 25 +25 stat ?
  • braemarbraemar Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i still dont understand how do you get 10k power from cleric heals
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    snowballo wrote: »
    Conqueror GF still tanks perfectly fine.
    Threatening rush + cleave and if needed the aoe shout, into re-applying more threatening rushes all over the place if ya happen to loose it will keep ALL mobs glued on your behind forever.

You CAN tank + DPS.
    You DO have perfect spammable aoe with cleave.
    Combine this with Fighters Recovery, to self fullheal anytime you need.

Yes there are not many ways you can use GF and be it more useful than other classes.
    But no way in hell a 2nd cleric is gonna bring more dps to the group than my GF aoe gathering (or if CW does that for you, aoe dmging)
    And once you are able to stay alive vs all the mobs and keep them glued to you, what's the purpose of a 2nd cleric? None.

A properly played dps GF that tanks will always be better than the 2x cleric 3x dps setup.

The complaint I am making is that a DPS specced GF should not be the only viable path. I should be able to spec down the threat gain / defense path and be a value to the group.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • goromethgorometh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

What build/feats are you using?
  • khraktikhrakti Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think gf's have feats that give them extra (temp) hp when they get healed, and another feat that gives them power based off their extra hp. So because of the temp hit points, they get temp power along with it.
  • sylektasylekta Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    braemar wrote: »
    i still dont understand how do you get 10k power from cleric heals

there are two feats that give a GF temp hp, one triggers from incoming heals with IIRC a 30s cooldown
    and the other i think its on taking damage, or maybe it was a crit with a 40s cooldown

then you have the feat that gives you bonus power when you have temp HP, so if you had either of the above trigger you are getting a nice power boost (that doubles with the main conq paragon feat)

edit: looked them up for accuracy

Grit: Temp HP from incoming heals 40s CD
    Take Measure: Temp HP from incoming crits 50s CD
    Wrathful Warior: Bonus damage when you have temp HP

Reckless Attacker: When you have full block, 100% to power
  • braemarbraemar Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea it gives bonus damage not power, isnt it? or that 15% dmg counts as power?
    edited May 2013
    khrakti wrote: »
    i think gf's have feats that give them extra (temp) hp when they get healed, and another feat that gives them power based off their extra hp. So because of the temp hit points, they get temp power along with it.

What this guy said, I have all my defense slots stacked with rank 7 hp enchants. There're many builds out there, I find this one the best for my play-style because I have constant 300ms I like hp, heals and dmg. There may be better ones, but I haven't found anyone that has beat my dps yet.
    Complete offense = best defense here. I don't know about anyone else but when I use the shield skill after into the fray, I receive 80% of my AP, with a few hits or enforced threat = 100%, within one group of mobs I can usually activate heal + heal or heal + villain together so no cc for me but I get constant 20k-30k heals depending on the size of the group. I tend to tell my group before hand that I would like to do the luring and just mark them all and hide behind a rock = grouped.
    Also I don't put my shield up most of the time to avoid dmg reduction (feat) and I stand outside of healers circles when my dailies are up to avoid threat going to them while tanking. Have videos but lazy to upload. D: SS are ez~
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
    edited May 2013

Strangely enough it gave me power, I'll try take a ss next time.
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • foolishlobsterfoolishlobster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's great how the most viable GF spec right now doesn't have you use your main means of damage reduction. Stack crit, go nuts, outperform a pure DPS class.
  • sylektasylekta Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

i am pretty sure to get that 15% it just gives you the required power