test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No way to train man-at-arms

synozeersynozeer Member Posts: 185 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
Looking at the Leadership profession tasks, I don't see any way to train a Man-at-arms (green) - only Guard, Footman, Adventurer, and Hero. I think that might be true for the other professions' greens too (unless this is intentional).
Guild: Chocolate Stand | Main: Hzarn (GF)/Danteel (HR) | Watch PvP Videos
Post edited by synozeer on

Comments

• Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    It is intentional the Green, Blue and Purple are Store packs or Lockbox only.
  • Options
    ethiciusethicius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If it's intentional, please explain to me why there are the previous two options? All three--mercenary, guard, and footman--provide a 5% boost. Who in their sane mind would sacrifice 16 mercs for 1 footman?
  • Options
    jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    ethicius wrote: »
    If it's intentional, please explain to me why there are the previous two options? All three--mercenary, guard, and footman--provide a 5% boost. Who in their sane mind would sacrifice 16 mercs for 1 footman?

You need guards to do the tasks up from level 7 and same with footmen which makes sense but rather harsh.

But shouldn't man-at-arms be possible to get through playing game? At this moment, the only way I see to obtain them is through Zen store crafting booster packs (RNG?), which in my opinion is pay to win?
  • Options
    sylvaaanesssylvaaaness Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This does not seem right to me either.
    I would assume you can train Man-at-Arms from 4 Guards just like it is in other professions.
  • Options
    helza123helza123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It does suck that you cant "train" them, however it still isn't play to win. You can still level your skill without them, you can still train infantry man (which is also rank 3, like the men-at-arms) to train the epic items. You just dont get a flat speed bonus of 10%.

If your thinking that you could then just train the men-at-arms and then adventurer and then hero's and sell them for a nice profit think again.. Just be glad, you do realise it would take 4*4*4*4*4 to train an hero otherwise :P
  • Options
    senseijohnsenseijohn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    There is a task slot that specifically opens for 100% speed boost, which is impossible to get without the Hero's. So, in fact, it is pay to win.

Not that I'm complaining... but let's call a spade a spade and not disguise it as a heart.

They are just more blatant about the pay to win than most of the other games.
  • Options
    helza123helza123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why is it pay to win just because you can't get a hero by training one yourself?
    You can use all crafting skills without an hero, sure you dont get the extra slot like you could get with training 1024 mercenaries, but you still can get them from the AH with your diamonds from alll the AD's you can earn with the chests..

Seriously people should stop calling pay to win just because it takes more time without, there seriously is not 1 thing ingame you can not get by simple playing. Just because some stuff require alot of AD to buy, it is still possible with some effect.

You can't train epic quality crafting sets, no but you can still buy them with ingame currency from the AH
    You can't create the most expensive weapons enchants, yes you can, but it has an extremely low success rate, however you can still buy them from the AH
    You can't buy epic companions or mounts without zen, yes you can from the AH.
    You can't respec without buying an respec token from the Zen market... seriously need me to continue?

It's all Pay for Convenience/Speed.. nothing more nothing less...

And people please stop saying you can't get Zen without paying for it because you can without problems. Earn AD's and you can can them on the Zen exchange and get it.

I've bought over a dozend keys for fun from the AH just to test my luck on the nightmare.. according to that crappy pay2win mentality i see alot of ppl whining about, i'm sorry but according to you guys thats impossible because that would have taken over a thousand zen.. well i did anyway and i've not spend a dime buying Zen and haven't exploited anything even though the possibilities are definetly there. And that was all SOLO without any epic dungeon runs.

If you got a good pve group and been doing T2/T3 dungeon's you can make hundred thousands of AD's by selling the gear if not millions.. I have several people in my group who have a nice PVE group and do this and have millions of AD and have bought alot of "zen" items.

Seriously ppl, stop that already and just play the game...
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    senseijohn wrote: »
    There is a task slot that specifically opens for 100% speed boost, which is impossible to get without the Hero's. So, in fact, it is pay to win.

Just buy them in the AH with astral diamonds you earned leveling your leadership. Or buy the Man-at-arms or Adventurers and turn them into a Hero. Its doable without paying.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    tieravintieravin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are money grabs. There are horrible money grabs. And then there are unthinkable money gates that make people quit games. Guess which one this is!

Of all the free to play games I've played this is the only one that has never even close to motivated me to spend money. There is absolutely no options other than getting nickeled and dimed by useless pay gates. Get 4 random guys from a pack that has a 1 in 5 chance of being what you need, if there is even one in the pack?

Ha.
  • Options
    growltoogrowltoo Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    Just buy them in the AH with astral diamonds you earned leveling your leadership. Or buy the Man-at-arms or Adventurers and turn them into a Hero. Its doable without paying.

It is really infuriating that people do not understand what makes an item "pay" and what makes an item "non-pay."

It DOES NOT matter if there is a way to trade Astral Diamonds for Zen within the game, or if there is a way to trade Astral Diamonds for items bought with Zen. In order to get specific items in the game cash money has to be spent. It just so happens that some people feel x amount of cash money is worth x amount of astral diamonds. Astral diamonds is equal to x amount of average time spent playing the game. So in actuality Someone is paying cash money for you to play the game for x amount of time so you can get that item.

Somebody paid money to get that item into the game, and THEY chose the time value of that item that is exclusive to people paying cash money.

The only way your "oh dear! but they can trade astral diamonds for the zen they want!" argument would EVER hold water is if Zen was able to be introduced to the game without ever spending money (not counting their free offers). Meaning, if the game had a Zen trader that introduced zen into the game at a set astral diamond rate then maybe I would buy your "it's not pay to win because I can trade!" argument.

People are complaining, very justly, that this is pay to win because someone who wanted to support the game financially because they enjoy the game would get almost nothing from contributing on average what they would pay for a subscription. Now if you're willing to shovel in huge amounts of money to the game you have a huge advantage.
  • Options
    momomonstersmomomonsters Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You whiners really make all hardcore gamers look bad. Sure, you pay for the advantages if you can afford it (normally for working class ppl who has no time grinding away) while bums and kids has lots of time playing, some may even make a buck or two through selling of items on AH (Diablo, etc). Its all boils down to your own jealousy of other ppl having stuff you dont (money), you are meant to enjoy the game 1 way or another and the makers need $$$ to support their staff and maintain the game(Free Zen my ***, u expect the developers to eat **** and die?). This is is how the real world works, so crawl out from whatever hole you are in and live your life or get a job. (or you can play those monthly paid games, whichever u like)
  • Options
    hazmat713hazmat713 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's hilarious how wrong the people are who claim this isn't "pay to win."

You can spend 10 months playing, or you can spend $10! You don't have to pay, so it isn't pay to win! How <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>! At a certain point, it becomes completely unrealistic not to pay. At that point, it becomes pay to win.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i believe it is at level 15 that you can upgrade 4 Man-at-Arms for 1 adventurer. and at level 17 or 18 you can upgrade 4 adventurers for 1 hero.

all the mercs, guards and footmen exist to allow you to do rank 1, 2 and 3 tasks. they provide a 5% speed increase only. should you be able to upgrade mercs, guards and footmen to uncommon, rare and epic status? no other professions have that option.

save up your astral diamonds and get what you need from the auction house. or save up your astral diamonds, convert them to zen and buy the professions packs... see if lady luck is in your favor. either way, all the money sinks that you describe... there are other ways to acquire items without paying cash money for them.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hazmat713 wrote: »
    It's hilarious how wrong the people are who claim this isn't "pay to win."

You can spend 10 months playing, or you can spend $10! You don't have to pay, so it isn't pay to win! How <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>! At a certain point, it becomes completely unrealistic not to pay. At that point, it becomes pay to win.

you actually don't have to do professions to get to end game material or to grind dungeons for epic gear. you don't have to pay money to collect free astral diamonds with invocations or to post auctions on the auction house. you don't have to pay money to farm for enchantments in order to increase your worth or to sell them on the auction house.

if it's the time factor you're addressing here, then it isn't pay to win, but pay for convenience.

it is my opinion that people that complain about having to pay money to play this game expect high rewards with little or no desire to actually work for those rewards. you can't walk out of the gate with an 11k gear score dudes... sorry.
  • Options
    sereenawindsereenawind Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why are you allowed to train all of the other Professions from star to finish but NOT allowed to train the leadership past a footman? What bloody good is that? I wasted all my time making mercenaries, then making guards ,then the footman to get stuck with 40 footman because I cannot train them any higher? This is a bunch of bull. I have yet to get a man-at arms in all the packs I've bought ( which is why I will NEVER again buy another Professional pack of ANY kind!!!) and I cannot train to an adventurer because you have it locked down! What Bloody nonsense!:mad:
    May the Good Lord keep you always in His Loving Arms
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Why are you allowed to train all of the other Professions from star to finish but NOT allowed to train the leadership past a footman? What bloody good is that? I wasted all my time making mercenaries, then making guards ,then the footman to get stuck with 40 footman because I cannot train them any higher? This is a bunch of bull. I have yet to get a man-at arms in all the packs I've bought ( which is why I will NEVER again buy another Professional pack of ANY kind!!!) and I cannot train to an adventurer because you have it locked down! What Bloody nonsense!:mad:

You can complete all profession tasks with the highest level of dudes you can train for free, just not as fast. Your ire is misplaced.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    icesnake666icesnake666 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm just glad i saw this early. I'd rather pay monthly subscription than bother with this. End game, you WILL have to use zen. Like this business with the man at arms. Isn't the companion called the same.
    Started playing this on Xbox. free my ***, fun game thou..just don't like my balls handed to me on a daily basis.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh hey, what I wrote two years ago is still true!
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm just glad i saw this early. I'd rather pay monthly subscription than bother with this. End game, you WILL have to use zen. Like this business with the man at arms. Isn't the companion called the same.
    Started playing this on Xbox. free my ***, fun game thou..just don't like my balls handed to me on a daily basis.

1. Resurrecting a thread that has nothing to do with bug reports just to notify us of your feelings... this is not Facebook.

2. What is wrong with using zen ? You are not forced to buy it, there is ZAX, more amazingly the ZAX at the Xbox is what now? 100AD per ZEN ?

3. You can get the non-common workers/tools from a free professions box you get at around level 27 from the lynching tree mission in the graveyard. Also when combining the common there is a rare chance to get a green one.

4. Footmen are tier 3 workers, and it is exactly the same with all professions, t3 can do ALL the tasks, the green, blue , purple can do exactly the same tasks but only have higher speed bonus. The fact that the complainers in this thread do not understand/understood that is amazing by itself and not in a good way.
    Perhaps you can go in game and click the professions window or google / go http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Profession to understand better yourself what you are talking about.
    "Isn't the companion called the same. ".......

5. You will pay monthly subscription but not pay when not forced to at all ? Then pay the 15$ per month and the initial 60$ for the game like other games expect you too, and by the man at arms you want. Ask support to bill you monthly. And before you start about paywall and forcing you, You can get everything in game.. some things takes time and effort..

6. Perhaps you should do something about that balls problem.. looks to me like chronic problem and a painful one.