Options

Biggest Flaw of this Game

2»

Comments

• Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    jellicho wrote: »
    Can't get into any groups because I don't have the gear.

Can't get any gear because I can't get any groups.
    Neverwinter Online is just a classic wow-clone theme park, being a wow-clone is fully based on gear grind and to grind gear you need to farm instances over and over. To farm instances with the queue system you are required to have a certain gear score (the most stupid thing in a mmorpg) so you must find player to run instances with, or you farm glory in pvp and you get a set. Yes, it's stupid to be forced to do pvp only to be able to complete pve content, but, hey, gear grind it's just like this...

Ah you have another possibility. Roll an healer or a tank, you'll get in any group very fast, then you NEED on items for you other character, Cryptic did not insert a "need only for class" check for need/greed roll, so, yeah!
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Get PvP gear first by ACTIVELY playing
    Great. To make PvE you NEED to do PvP.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    redlance wrote: »
    Neverwinter Online is just a classic wow-clone theme park, being a wow-clone is fully based on gear grind and to grind gear you need to farm instances over and over. To farm instances with the queue system you are required to have a certain gear score (the most stupid thing in a mmorpg) so you must find player to run instances with, or you farm glory in pvp and you get a set. Yes, it's stupid to be forced to do pvp only to be able to complete pve content, but, hey, gear grind it's just like this...

Ah you have another possibility. Roll an healer or a tank, you'll get in any group very fast, then you NEED on items for you other character, Cryptic did not insert a "need only for class" check for need/greed roll, so, yeah!

There's a perfectly good reason for gear score... but only if it's implemented right. In theory, your capabilities and gear should be closely aligned, hence gear score representative of both. This allows individuals to be allocated for dungeons suitable for their capabilities, hence ensuring a right balance of challenge.

Of course, that's all well in theory, but something always goes awry in implementation..
  • Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    There's a perfectly good reason for gear score... but only if it's implemented right.
    Yes, to force people to farm dungeons only to get enough gear score just ot farm other dungeons only to get enough gear score to farm other dungeons and so on. As I said, grind gear. Or to buy Zen to exchange for AD and buy items from AH.
    Put the player skill in play, not onlye the gear. Need to aim, avoiding shots by moving (now you avoid only using dodge mechanic because it's an invulnerability time frame, if you get out of the red circle or outside of a mob reach, you get damage the same), you could see in GW2 a good system like I'm saying (not a perfect one, you can find a perfect system based on player skills only in FPS/TPS)
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to MMOs, where each and every single theme park MMO IS fully based on gear grind, because thats how MMOs work and thats their friggin point, nothing to do with WoW, WoW is just another one that follows it and there is absolutely nothing innovative WoW did to make it an example. By your logic EQ that predates WoW is a WoW clone because its themepark mmo based on grinding gear, so is L1 and L2. And many before.

You don't NEED pvp to do it. It just gives you such a huge headstart in so short time that it would be stupid not to.
    2 evenings of casual PvP and you are ready to go with a gear boost you would not achieve otherwise without including spending ADs.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, to force people to farm dungeons only to get enough gear score just ot farm other dungeons only to get enough gear score to farm other dungeons and so on. As I said, grind gear. Put the player skill in play, not onlye the gear. Need to aim, avoiding shots by moving (now you avoid only using dodge mechanic because it's an invulnerability time frame, if you get out of the red circle or outside of a mob reach, you get damage the same), you could see in GW2 a good system like I'm saying (not a perfect one, you can find a perfect system based on player skills only in FPS/TPS)

If implemented right, it shouldn't be a gear grind; as mentioned, capability should be closely aligned to gear. If you can easily clear that dungeon, you should rapidly get the gear required to get to the next with minimal grind. I'd say it's not impossible to make a system which could do that, by assigning rewards based on how well you cleared the dungeon. Several other semi-MMOs does that, giving you a rank from D to SSS, and giving you confirmed rewards, on top of everything you get from merely clearing the area.
  • Options
    gigplaygigplay Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Roll an healer or a tank

They're the same thing.
  • Options
    irishxpirishxp Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi all!
    This is my first post in the Nevverwinter Forums; I would have posted a new thread if I could but since my question could be seen as a flaw of the game, I suppose this thread will do :)

There is something in this game that keeps me coming, that must mean I like it; although, there is something that bogs me!
    It's nothing that can break the game, but it's always there, in front of my eyes: those weird animations!
    I don't know if it's just a CW issue, or if it concerns everyone: they are unnatural and exagerate.
    The way my character jump, how he extend his arm, looking up at the sky; i thought i rolled a wizard not a dancing queen :D
    And do we have to discuss about the way he walks with his orb out? Seems something along the lines of Doc Zoidberg from Futurama :D
    And his fingers! Oh the fingers! So out of proportions! Even for his large hands! Judge Dredd would be envious :)

What do you think about it? As I stated, it's nothig gamebreaking, but it is something that would immensly make characters look more.. real :P
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think a lot of the problems are with the players, not the game itself.

Gearscore, whilst a good mechanic for 'tiering' the dungeons, is just bad for players. It should be a hidden value with a phrase saying 'You don't yet feel confident enough to tackle this dungeon' for people who try to join dungeons they would have difficulty in, or similar.

Unfortunately, Gearscore is visible and with players forming groups - why shouldn't they pick the best geared character they can? If they've never grouped with any of the players before, it's a good (but poor) filter.

I see an answer to your problem, but it isn't one that is common nowadays; group with people, speak to them, get to know them and add them as friends. Experience tells me that eventually you'll create a circle of friends who all enjoy each others company and who will take you in a group ahead of a better geared player.

Unfortunately, this is probably one of the hardest games to do that on - I've been playing since Guardians were allowed to play and I think I've had maybe one real conversation inside a PUG.
  • Options
    sotsotzaiisotsotzaii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    Well, this is YOUR problem, not the game.

I'm having so much fun and I'm going smoothly all the way since I started 1 week ago, level 60, fully geared by doing dungeons/PvP, lots of really good friends, TS-ed together everyday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'd rather not be alone, because I value friendships more than anything else.
    Proud to be a part of
    Graviora Manent
  • Options
    irishxpirishxp Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bump for my animations questions :D
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »
    Now I agree it's mostly we need this or that. Plus random kicks and whatever. Sorry that you miss the "good" game phase......................................

Which is hilarious(ly sad) considering Neverwinter is not even 3 weeks old.
  • Options
    holokastholokast Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I lvled from 55-60 by only doing PvP and once I got to 60 could buy all PvP gear so I could do dungeons, at 60 even easier to get glory so can easily get GS up to do T1 etc...
  • Options
    neridiumneridium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If your having issues getting into groups, why not start up your own guild?

Advertise in zone chat for some help setting up a guild, let them know they dont have to stay if they dont want to, do some recruiting then when things start moving you'll have your group, make new friends. At best you'll be doing dungeons and stuff in no time, at worst you'll prolly have a guild bank all to yourself, but you'll have somewhere else to store your junk and it didn't cost you a penny.

I ended up doing this when i was playing wow when GearScore was introduced on there and the elitist elements started to appear, it worked out quite well and I still talk to some of them years later.

IMO the Gearscore needs to be removed from Public view as it would stop the elitism. But I think its way to late for that now.
  • Options
    jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tried to join some public queues, always 4 rogues and CW in the party never anything we need to beat the dungeon.

The Real Dungeon Queue Problems.
  • Options
    darthgemdarthgem Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    heh, does it mean that there are too many stealthers in the game? not sure, yet, i just started, and ofc have chosen the "rogue" class
  • Options
    kittledorfkittledorf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Why do you even wanna play dungeons? At'least for me they missed the mark bigtime when creating dungeons in this game. This is the only MMO i have to lower my visualsettings just for the bosses with the billion adds. It's either pull boss and run back 10miles, or use some sort of exploit to deal with this madness. How could Alphatesters even approve this? Worst endgame ive ever seen in a game, i really hope they start improving it asap. Once they improved it people will be more thrilled joining queues, hence make it easier for everyone to get a group.
  • Options
    vitadrink469vitadrink469 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow reading this post is really sad. The OP must be really bad at problem solving or the ability to think outside the box. Usually when people fail at their method for days they'd think of other ways, this dude is stuck on one method and then chooses to complain on forum lol.
    Hey OP, I want to let you know that you can gear yourself to Tier 1.5 dungeon by just afking in PvP for 4 hours (including losing). If you win your matches then you can get all the pvp gear at around 2-4 hours. PvP gear is sold for under 50k AD, that is 2 days of AD if you think about it.
    Don't tell me its impossible to gear or play this game's content with full PvP gear, i have 3 alts, technically played this game 3 times. If you're thinking i used any AD to gear any of my 3 characters i'll tell you, i used 0 AD to fully gear my characters to tier 2.5 dungeon.
    I'm sorry, either you're new to games in general which i'll forgive you and say if you need more help do ask, but if you aren't new to mmorpg/online games... I'm going to have to say you're really freaken bad at games and please don't post anymore because it makes you foolish -.-.
    Lol at using the same method for *5* days. He never thought outside the box. That is soooo sad. Im crying from laughing at reading the OP lololol!
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nothing to do with it.
    Its each and every MMOs 'problem'.

Everyone(well, most anyway) wants to be a leet ninja striking from shadows and dual wielding blades.
    Thats why so many players choose to play the class. If it was first MMO with it, it could be understandable, but the cycle repeats from MMO to MMO, tons of rogues, class always OP at start and often stays that way, more people jump on it then on the rest classes combioned, "poor" rogues qq they can't find guilds and group spots because for every cleric there is 50 rogues and they always end up blaming everyone but themselves, not seeing the problem of class being overplayed.

My post was generally speaking. Not one class specifically.
  • Options
    borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    No challenge too great, no hill too steep, that you cannot overcome it with... a credit card!

Working as intended, seriously.
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm a Rogue, but I have friends to group with if I choose.

Hint, hint.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    kelanatorkelanator Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Haven't played an MMO that isn't crappy at end game. Once you hit max level time for an alt or move to another game. Unless you like dealing with elitist kiddies and repeating the same content in order to get gear to continue to repeat the same content. Only saving grace in end game MMO's is pvp which can be so unbalanced it isn't fun anyways. Single player is the way to go, just that you don't have anyone around to talk too or show off your new shinny gear.
  • Options
    gillityrgillityr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    They need to warn players before selecting a class that it will be shunned and basically turned to 2nd class citizen status once it hits 60.

otherwise I would have chosen any other class than Rogue

Almost every MMO game since EQ has made it difficult to get into groups as a DPS. Too many people roll DPS classes because they do not enjoy healing or tanking (or because endgame guilds tend to already have their tanks/healers paired up and running with long time friends as DPS).

Some will tell you that the trinity does not exist in Neverwinter. Although mostly true, the dungeon finder sure seems to enjoy finding the perfect team of healer/tank/+3 other whatever.
  • Options
    bingobongojrbingobongojr Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    I think the biggest flaw was probably Cryptic expecting people to play and enjoy the game rather than being total asshats and exploiting everything they can.

how come? all of this is actually cryptics doing. Not players. It wasnt players who put gear score requirement for instances, tiers, you name it. Its not players fault that dmg/heal/tank/blabla statistic were put into every possible instance, that was cryptic too.

or are you telling me they built elitist tools into the game and expected people to ignore it?
  • Options
    kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited May 2013
    The biggest flaw this game has is bad gamers en masse.

as a good gamer you get a grp no matter which class you play.
  • Options
    zedfighterzedfighter Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Buy Zen > AD > buy gear.

- PWE
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Get PvP gear first by ACTIVELY playing.
    But that won't get you reliable spot since you are, like 80% of other players, a rogue. There is over saturation of the class and it will always have a hard time finding group.

this is right, pvp will give you the gear score needed but as a tr good luck. My main is a tr but I'm playing other class alts 90% of the time now unless I know of a good group that he can get in.
  • Options
    sm177ysm177y Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2013
    Dude it takes 6 hours to PVP queue solo to get 5 full set pieces that will get you to 8.5k+ gear score. 9.3 took me a day. Didn't have any help.

I'm gonna be that guy - you're just bad.
  • Options
    derkka88derkka88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PVP - get a full PVP set from the vendor. This will make you eligible for T1 and some T2 dungeons..
  • Options
    macerukmaceruk Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So PVP is quickest way to level? hmm lol why am I wasting time doing quests haha. I am more of end game player and rush through the game as i find the quests pretty boring just click and accept. Seems like you have some good advice go pvp get gear problem solved.