test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The problem with the F2P Model.

13»

Comments

• deathpumpdeathpump Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or you can, you know, work with other people.
    It is an MMO, you don't need to make the enchantments alone.
  • bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Still waiting for a good p2p so i can get off this endless conveyor belt of trash they call F2P MMO's, here's hoping Wildstar is P2P and TESO stays P2P

I like how everyone throws on the rose covered glasses and ignores WoW, the billion dollar MMO that still uses P2P model and obliterates all the f2p competetion, even with their own version of a true non p2w cash shop

The Guardian pack money is all this game will ever recieve from me, so dont expect anymore new content for this game, have fun with your MMO that never gets new content because no one wants to pay for P2W
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    remember that Pay 2 Win is not the same as Pay 2 Grind less.

All those items CAN be earn via in-game (takes time) now the Pay 2 Win we have in NWN is all the Epic BoE (which is odd, since all other MMO all the end game are BoP even F2P models MMO follow this)

I said pay for power. Accepting the model and the bizarre and hidden ways to farm stuff for free doesn't mean it's not pay for power.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    remember that Pay 2 Win is not the same as Pay 2 Grind less.

All those items CAN be earn via in-game (takes time) now the Pay 2 Win we have in NWN is all the Epic BoE (which is odd, since all other MMO all the end game are BoP even F2P models MMO follow this)
    Technically not true (founders pack items), but even so, I'd consider pay to grind less as a form of pay to win. Otherwise any game which implements a currency exchange gets a "get out of P2W free" card.
    deathpump wrote: »
    Or you can, you know, work with other people.
    It is an MMO, you don't need to make the enchantments alone.

And then those people get their enchantments done later. Meanwhile a bunch of P2W people just get their enchantments done near instantly.
  • knavery2112knavery2112 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's the way I look at it... I'm having a lot of fun right now. I've got a level 42 GF and have been playing for about a week. It's a blast and I haven't sunk a penny into this game. When I reach end-game and find that I need to spend money to survive, I'll find another game. It's as simple as that. I'm not opposed to spending money on a game I love. I paid a monthly subscription for WoW for six years. But, I'm not going to sink money into this game until I know for sure it's not P2W with end-game content.

If I find that the end-game has legs with just "playing the game", perhaps I'll buy some toys for my characters and help the developer out. But if I find the opposite to be true, then that just proves what their intent was all along, and they don't deserve my cash.

That's not really hard to figure out. The people complaining that the game is P2W could just be very competitive and want instant gratification. I want to play and figure that out on my own.
    edited May 2013
    bejita231 wrote: »
    Still waiting for a good p2p so i can get off this endless conveyor belt of trash they call F2P MMO's, here's hoping Wildstar is P2P and TESO stays P2P

I like how everyone throws on the rose covered glasses and ignores WoW, the billion dollar MMO that still uses P2P model and obliterates all the f2p competetion, even with their own version of a true non p2w cash shop

The Guardian pack money is all this game will ever recieve from me, so dont expect anymore new content for this game, have fun with your MMO that never gets new content because no one wants to pay for P2W
    Wow is an outlier. ALL other subscription based MMOs don't do anywhere near as well as WoW .
  • qtheeskimoqtheeskimo Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I posted this in a thread a few mins ago, this thread seems more appropriate, so please forgive the re-post.

This profit model that the industry seems to be adopting is going to destroy gaming as we know it. Im Not above spending money for convenience type stuff such as bags and respec's, but when a games mechanics are tweeked to funnel you into situations where spending is the only option is down right slimy. PWE is a company who is built around this very thing.

I should say that I am an older gamer who knowingly spent the money for a founders pack and I dont really have any buyers remorse regarding that purchase. However, the tactics of only being able to use certain currency on more basic things like vault space when you were started with a VAULT that is smaller than your bag space to begin with, or tweeking drop rates on item such as Ident scrolls which can only be purchased with AD and the like it is a troubling trend. While the exchange rate of Zen to AD is supposedly player set I would be willing to bet that they have metrics that can tell them when to adjust the economy to remain within the real money profit margin goals they have established exist.

All that being said the bottom line is the market will bear what the market will bear, and until those numbers for PWE begin to decline they will continue to make money hand over fist. As someone who has admittedly spent some of his disposable income on this game, I do feel some of their currency manipulation is underhanded and shady, and moving forward I at least will try to speak more with my wallet than try to cajole them into changing.
  • teemoorteemoor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    Why the rage about enchantments? Really, I didn't spend any zen on wards and such (only bought a bag and an ioun stone with AD conversion). So you need a weapon enchantment, ok, I'm currently sitting on ~25 Holy shards. Some I rolled in dungeons others I bought @AH for 6-10k (just visit regulary). I need 64 for a Greater version. I also need 21 wards. Now even if I wasn't sniping for lowest bids on wards and just went and bought them for full price @AH (~150k) it's 3.15mil AD. Is that a lot? No. As I said, I spent 3000 zen (~1.1 mil AD) and still have ~1 mil. No exploits, no cash shop, no lucky nightmare mounts. Just plain dungeon farming and selling. Example - yesterday I sold a Miracle armor for 400k, had 4 soulforged shards from dungeons, bought blue ward and fused them - another 450k, drake seals gear (ring goes for ~250k, belts ~400k). There are a lot of opportunities to geat AD.

Considering all this - is 6 mil AD a lot for a top enchantment in the game? No. Really, no. 6 mil is not a lot at all. And you only need 2 of these - 1 armor, 1 weapon. Just don't slot it in T1, you can do just fine without it.

Also, consider this - bosses in this game don't have HPs of bosses in other games. That means +5% (or 10%) DPS is unnoticable. There's nothing to parse really. Fights last like 3-4 minutes and most of the time is adds killing.
  • forumalterforumalter Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    The problem with the F2P Model.

The problem is this is a P2W model.
  • captainoobcaptainoob Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem with any F2P MMO is the whiny community. Look at any F2P MMO forum. Just complaints everywhere everytime.
    edited May 2013
    forumalter wrote: »
    The problem is this is a P2W model.
    Other than PvP, how is P2W bad? I've yet to find someone with a good answer.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Other than PvP, how is P2W bad? I've yet to find someone with a good answer.

epeen. That is the only thing I can think of. P2W in PvE is not bad. Some say it will produce bad PuGs but I have encounter some good PuGs with great gear cause he/she understand their class.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow is an outlier. ALL other subscription based MMOs don't do anywhere near as well as WoW .

WoW simply proves that an amazing MMO can survive on the P2P model, and many other great MMO's survived for decades using P2P models, WoW is not the only P2P mmo to have survived for an entire generation

F2P games are simply easier to produce and fail with, if you make a terrible F2P game and it fails you really dont lose much money, P2P can work and survive longer than ANY f2p game if done right
    edited May 2013
    bejita231 wrote: »
    WoW simply proves that an amazing MMO can survive on the P2P model, and many other great MMO's survived for decades using P2P models, WoW is not the only P2P mmo to have survived for an entire generation
    Same can be said for F2P games, and hybrid F2P/sub games, so that isn't particularly amazing.
  • dinoendinoen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some players would only play FTP games, but over 50% of them end up spending more, yet they still wanna play so called " FTP". This is a 300 year old business trick just like when someone knock on your door and give you some cleaning supply for free to try,and come back few days after, you will end up buy the supply eventually, not all of us, but over 60% people got tricked is a good number.
    edited May 2013
    dinoen wrote: »
    Some players would only play FTP games, but over 50% of them end up spending more, yet they still wanna play so called " FTP". This is a 300 year old business trick just like when someone knock on your door and give you some cleaning supply for free to try,and come back few days after, you will end up buy the supply eventually, not all of us, but over 60% people got tricked is a good number.
    Or perhaps they just enjoy the game and community. I mean, why else would you pay for cosmetics, which provide no tangible benefits other than social?
  • boostersauceboostersauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or perhaps they just enjoy the game and community. I mean, why else would you pay for cosmetics, which provide no tangible benefits other than social?

To feel sexy
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sweet! In two years I can be done with dungeon content and start with raids! And what do you suggest I do during these two years? The same dungeons over and over again? Level alt after alt? Even if I listen to every single bit of voice acting and read every single bit of text I come across, do my dailies every day etc it will probably take less than a month to get to 60.

You said that it would only take you one year to get the ADs. So is it one year or two?

And if it takes you a month to get to cap then it takes a month. But I have no idea how much time you sit in front of your computer and play every day.

I also have no idea how much of that time you spend just standing around chatting (or just reading what other people might be chatting about), looking at scenery, playing around with the character creator, looking at what all of the various vendors have to offer, checking out the AH, or any of a number of activities that don't directly involve moving a character towards level cap.

Because there are a lot of things that you could do besides just level and work towards cap and all purples.

But it doesn't change the fact that you are crying about being "forced" to play for absolutely free for a year before you can get the gear that you somehow think that you need to have.