test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why are you rating me down?

cydericcyderic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Hey guys,

please - I really need your help.

I made a german Foundry-Quest and its pretty famous now. With the fame came the english players. And with the english players came the storm of 1-star ratings because of "its not in english!!!!".

Thats the first one I cant understand. Why are you blaming me for using german language in a german flagged quest?

But I thought "Ok, ok - I have more fans and they want to read my story too, so lets go - I try to translate it!"

So I made multilangual dialogues and tried my very best at the translation into english.

Now, the multilangual version of my quest is out since a couple of days and I still get so many 1-star ratings with "nice quest but not in english" - comments.

I really cant understand it and I really think about to stop translate my story because even if I do it - no one seems to have a look at my dialouges to see that they are multilangual.

Thats where I need your help. Could you have a look at my quest and give me some feedback regarding to this topic.
Is it really so hard to see that there is english text?
Whats the problem? Why are all these guys are downrating me?

Please help :(

Questname: Famile Schwarzdorn - Akt II
ID: NW-DBFAPQ9L4

(sorry for bad english...)
Post edited by cyderic on

Comments

• Options
    boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My german is... terrible but...

Ich verstehe nicht. Du habst eins Stern und der Stern ist in Englisch?

When I posted the above information you only had 2 sentences... okay.

Sorry for the bad 1 star reviews. Some people are... Dummkopf. There are allot of new players who do not understand that they are reviewing german versus english foundry quests. Maybe they thought you were speaking elven?
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You really should report this to Cryptic. This is something they need to look into. They can't afford to have their non-English Foundry authors driven away like this.
  • Options
    zekrallmizzrymzekrallmizzrym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 101 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Giving out bad ratings due to "Not in English" is a terrible reason and very unfair on authors who put allot of hard work into campaigns / quests.

I will take a look at your quest (I don't speak a work of German and would never rate a quest 1 star due to not being in my language)

It's a shame there is no penalty for users giving bad reviews which are unfair / trolling.
    Resurrection of Xunvrae - NWS-DNNZST5FJ
    House Arken'etts' power is shattered, to restore this once proud house Xunvrae must return.
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If what you say is true, that is pretty lame. I don't know what to tell you.
  • Options
    waeolwenwaeolwen Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You should be able to give their reviews 1 star ratings saying "Your review wasn't in German!!"

Sadly, people are stupid. I would ignore the ones that have to wipe the drool off their keyboards so they can "type" a review and just make your quests how you want.
  • Options
    kelplanktonkelplankton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Basically the majority of the english speaking playerbase is dumb and entitled. I have no idea why anyone who doesn't like quests that aren't in english would put in the time to finish the thing and rate it 1 other than they're just stupid.

Nobody's forcing them to play these.

Hopefully Cryptic does something about this sooner rather than later, it's a big problem.

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep I'm sorry my German bro,

People are giving out 1 star comments just because they can no other reason, and they leave nasty and hateful messages, because they can.
    There are people in this world that just have no manners or common decency, they hide behind the vial of the internet and do what damage they can from obscurity.
    It's sad just sad I feel for you :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Basically the majority of the english speaking playerbase is dumb and entitled. I have no idea why anyone who doesn't like quests that aren't in english would put in the time to finish the thing and rate it 1 other than they're just stupid.

Nobody's forcing them to play these.

Hopefully Cryptic does something about this sooner rather than later, it's a big problem.

I wouldn't go that far, the language you speak doesn't make you dumb or entitled. That's a human-nature thing. English just happens to be the dominant language on the servers.
  • Options
    darkmoriandarkmorian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe the problem might come from the "Featured" tab in the Foundry Catalog. In there, the quests are NOT filtered by language, and no indication is given about the language it is published in officially.

Just checked: this must be a bug. When you open the catalog initially, only the featured quests of your language appear. But if you change tabs and come back to the featured tab, it now contains the quests from all three languages mixed together.
  • Options
    coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Only answer I have for you comes from Penny Arcade..
    215499488_8pSZr-L-2.jpg

Report it to Cryptic and hopefully they can at least scrub those reviews from your comments but frankly I just don't see a way for them to stop this as anything they do will just cause the people to go to greater lengths to do this stuff.
    darkmorian wrote: »
    I believe the problem might come from the "Featured" tab in the Foundry Catalog. In there, the quests are NOT filtered by language, and no indication is given about the language it is published in officially.

Just checked: this must be a bug. When you open the catalog initially, only the featured quests of your language appear. But if you change tabs and come back to the featured tab, it now contains the quests from all three languages mixed together.

That is due to the fact the search functionality isn't finished yet. You will notice only the one tab has the search feature which includes a language filter. Until they get that functionality working on all of the tabs we are stuck with un-filtered content.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • Options
    firefly113firefly113 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited May 2013
    This is a shame. If anything, people should be thankful to have a quest available with which they can improve on their German. I always thought it was fun to figure out what NPCs were saying in German dialogue. It made the experience far more rewarding.

But yes, I agree that it's awful to rate a quest by the language used. If anything they should give it no rating at all, because they have no clue if the story was good or not. They're running on the logic of "I don't know if this story is good, therefor it's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>".
  • Options
    xworndownxxworndownx Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, My best advice would be to grow some thicker skin and don't worry about them. They don't hurt anything.

Ratings and reviews are just opinions and some will be good just as some will be bad. They don't require reason or logic to be made nor do they have to be wholesome, honest or even constructive. With any open review system there are going to be people like this so just ignore them and move forward.

Keep focusing on creating good content and stop worrying about the nitwits that post dumb reviews like that.
  • Options
    lullafall1lullafall1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why don't you just make 1 English and one German instead of mixing them together to be " multilingual ". I mean If you don't want those type of ratings from English speaking people then cater to them give them there own thing. instead of here there is English at the bottom now shut up attitude.
  • Options
    cydericcyderic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow! Thanks for all these quick answers! I'm really amazed!

xworndownx wrote: »
    Well, My best advice would be to grow some thicker skin and don't worry about them. They don't hurt anything.

Ratings and reviews are just opinions and some will be good just as some will be bad. They don't require reason or logic to be made nor do they have to be wholesome, honest or even constructive. With any open review system there are going to be people like this so just ignore them and move forward.

Keep focusing on creating good content and stop worrying about the nitwits that post dumb reviews like that.

Yes, you are right. I shouldn't listen to that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Thanks for all the encouraging words!
  • Options
    taberstabers Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't speak German, so as a fluent American English speaking player I'll try to review your foundry quest. I'm skipping Akt 1 because it doesn't appear to be translated and the code you provided was for Akt 2.

I'll also provide you with any grammar corrections that may be needed.

Sayui "How do we start?" -- at the end of this paragraph she says, "I take some scrolls with me and follow you later." It should be "I will" or "I'll" (the latter being a contraction meaning the same thing as the first. "I will" is typically more formal)

Sayui
    And how do we get through it?
    I take control (same thing as above)

Sayui
    When we answer about looking around for floor plates/portals
    I take a look around! (same thing as above)

Morlaine (in the green portal)
    I dont think you meant to have so much of the conversation in OOC.

After finishing all three portals she said to get the skulls, but I was hastily reading and I spent a few minutes looking through the room I was in (with all the portals). After a few moments I realized I probably had to go through the portal again. The quest wasn't easy to follow since its in german "Sammle Schadel Auf"

___

The quest is fine, from an english stand point. Honestly, even though the quest tracker was in German most of the quests were pretty easy to figure out (Go to the blue/green/red portal). I accidentally closed the review thing (like I tend to do) so I couldn't give you 5 stars, but I would have.

Like most of the other comments I saw though (at least the english ones) it was definitely hard for one person.
  • Options
    minemoleminemole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cyderic wrote: »
    ....1-star ratings because of "its not in english!!!!".
    It's too bad we can't post reviews on the reviewers.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tabers wrote: »
    I don't speak German, so as a fluent American English speaking player I'll try to review your foundry quest. I'm skipping Akt 1 because it doesn't appear to be translated and the code you provided was for Akt 2.

I'll also provide you with any grammar corrections that may be needed.

Sayui "How do we start?" -- at the end of this paragraph she says, "I take some scrolls with me and follow you later." It should be "I will" or "I'll" (the latter being a contraction meaning the same thing as the first. "I will" is typically more formal)

Sayui
    And how do we get through it?
    I take control (same thing as above)

Sayui
    When we answer about looking around for floor plates/portals
    I take a look around! (same thing as above)

Morlaine (in the green portal)
    I dont think you meant to have so much of the conversation in OOC.

After finishing all three portals she said to get the skulls, but I was hastily reading and I spent a few minutes looking through the room I was in (with all the portals). After a few moments I realized I probably had to go through the portal again. The quest wasn't easy to follow since its in german "Sammle Schadel Auf"

___

The quest is fine, from an english stand point. Honestly, even though the quest tracker was in German most of the quests were pretty easy to figure out (Go to the blue/green/red portal). I accidentally closed the review thing (like I tend to do) so I couldn't give you 5 stars, but I would have.

Like most of the other comments I saw though (at least the english ones) it was definitely hard for one person.

Thank you very much! I will correct the dialogues! Thanks! :)
  • Options
    valkyryjavalkyryja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This reminds me of those review on Yelp, or on Amazon, where it goes something like, "The product is fantastic, the price is great, but I have a headache today and I can't get rid of it. One star."

Hopefully you can find some sort of resolution. I think it's been a problem for others as well.
  • Options
    raghuuraghuu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this sounds like an interesting quest, though I don't speak German and I usually can't read English half the time either. I would love to give it a try, seeing I like to try a lot of things. Could you tell me the name of the quest and I shall try it the next time I play. And don't worry I am not one of those horrible English speaking people that rate horrible ratings. I rate fairly. Just in case you're wondering. =)
  • Options
    yegadsyegads Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The people down rating foundry content "because it's not in english" are usually the same mouth breathing cretins who down rate based on loot.
  • Options
    eb2013eb2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If your quest is "Featured" you can't update it (well you can but the featured quest won't be updated). Cryptic makes a copy of your quest when it is featured and they warn you to make sure it is the final version because you won't be able to go back and change anything.

Don't feel bad though, I've gotten bad ratings because people weren't happy with the loot and the xp. It shouldn't be a problem unless the majority of your ratings are like that. I think Cryptic has a system to give rogue ratings less weight. Before I totally remade my quest I had mostly 3 star ratings and a couple 4s and 5s and a couple of those 1 star loot complaints. My overall rating was slightly over 3 stars so it didn't seem to affect the rating.

The ironic thing is the people complaining about it being in German probably don't read 90% of the text in quests anyway. Plus with the glowing trails it's nowhere near hard to do a quest that you can't understand so it's not a gamebreaker. I'd like to see multilingual support in the foundry so you can create the dialog and quest objectives in different languages and the players can choose which language they want to play with.

Try my quest Tucker's Kobolds, now with an all new map and encounters!
    Version 2.0.2 (5/11/2013)
    NW-DGW8GFH6
    @EB2013

Part II Coming Soon!
  • Options
    exterminosexterminos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    sorry people are so childish its not like its a surpirse when all the words are in german.
  • Options
    forien69forien69 Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't like german language. Sometimes I even hate it (especially when I hear it). Sorry, but I have right to not like something.

Anyway, even I with all this hate to language itself, wouldn't want to get tired doing whole quest just to rate 1-star 'coz of language.

And no, I'm not racist, I have nothing for german people. I even have german family, so whatever :P
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's only one group of people I know of who sit online hating on Germans....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    There's only one group of people I know of who sit online hating on Germans....

A reply like that wont help. And if my history's is as good as I think it is I'm pretty sure its more than one group ( just saying not flaming ).

I feel the OP's pain I did a foundry mish in Dutch and the down votes were plenty-full :<
  • Options
    sindofinsindofin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The foundry UI has a filter for language which does not seem to work at all. I have set it to English but get German quests all the time when searching. It is only a minor annoyance for me, as I am German, but it's up to Cryptic to fix it. And it should get a high priority when it leads to such griefing you describe. In the meantime maybe you can report the idiots via GM ticket?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Can't you just read the descriptions to see if they are English? I've had no trouble deciphering what language a quest is written in before playing it so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People are just jerks. They are too foolish to read the quest text before taking it and seeing that it is in german first. Sadly some people will just give you one star ratings because they think it is funny. Some will give you one star because they are jealous of your content and want it lower on the chart.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • Options
    fuglnfugln Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    You really should report this to Cryptic. This is something they need to look into. They can't afford to have their non-English Foundry authors driven away like this.

Agreed with this guy. :)
    Little Red Cap and the Bad Wolf
    ID: NW-DC42XFJ5B
    Author: @Fugln
    Quest
    Tag: #Combat, #story, #GROUP

NWS-DA213JHNY - The Shadows of the Sword Coast
    NW-DE6UU7ZQA - Chapter One - A Fool's Errand.
    Author: @Fugln
    Tag: #Story #Solo #Group #Humor.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Say I was to make a quest in Chinese, with a Chinese name, and Chinese description, in Chinese characters. Not a single English letter in the name or description. Then a bunch of people down-voted it for being in Chinese. You think I would apologize to them for not making it clear enough that my quest was in Chinese? You think I would have any understanding for why they played through a quest knowing full well it was in Chinese just to down-vote it for being Chinese? You think I would blame it on a broken search tab? This is not just a case of people being "ignorant mouth-breathers" or stupid or mistaken. These people are purposefully discriminating against someone because of their spoken language/ethnicity. They're even making an effort to play through til the end so they can down-vote it. You can bet if it was a Spanish quest and some rednecks started down-voting it, the uppity hipsters would not be so quick to defend the down-voters by pointing out the broken search tab, which is a totally fallible excuse given the working descriptions. But because this guy is German, people want to act like the down-voters are just mistaken bystanders with no malicious will or intent at all. Yeah right. Let's call them what they are. Racists. Germans, among other Europeans, are discriminated against way too much nowadays, and I think we all know why without me having to point out the elephant in the room. I don't care what their ancestors did, it does not warrant your hatred towards them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]