test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Autocomplete in chat was a good idea?

drexl420drexl420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've lost count of the number of times autocomplete has completely ruined what I was originally trying to type. Say for example I'm trying to type the word "night". Instead of letting me type whatever I want, it automatically sets it to somebody's name like "nightshade" or some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, no matter what I do. Seriously, who the hell thought this was a good idea? How do I disable this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>?
Post edited by drexl420 on

Comments

• Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    /signed

sdfasdfadsf
  • Options
    samanthyasamanthya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    Just hit the down arrow key when it does that, problem solved.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Aye it's a pita, even using down arrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can disable it from the chat options, click the gear on the chat box then the options button at the bottom of the window that comes up.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    You can disable it from the chat options, click the gear on the chat box then the options button at the bottom of the window that comes up.

AFAIK that does nothing. I have mine off and it still happens.

What's stupid is that it completely prevents you from typing anything further or even hitting enter. I have to butcher my own sentences and sound like a moron when it happens.

Have a good n(NightshadeofdeathXXX)........... Have a good NightshadeofdeathXXX

Have a good .n.iigght.
  • Options
    fathuntressfathuntress Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    also my when i try to Lol, Lolita came up . please remove this autocomplete bull
  • Options
    jaz182jaz182 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed, it's a hindrance more then helpful.
  • Options
    teldarateldara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not the guy out the window.

3ud4e5.jpg
  • Options
    kaelspriestkaelspriest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, this is really terrible.
  • Options
    thestatesmanthestatesman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    Easiest way to get around it is to press space after the word.
  • Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    Yea, this is something on our lists to address in future patches sometime. It has not been as intuitive as we had hoped.
  • Options
    steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just keep typing the rest of the word. It only inputs the name if you hit enter or something so far as I can tell. It's a strange little popup, but not too frustrating. I imagine it would be more so if I used abbreviations of words.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah I just hit the space button.

A minor annoyance but hey, if people are too bothered to hit the space button then they probably shouldn't even leave their house to do anything ever. lol
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe if you used punctuation this wouldn't be an issue... doesn't autocomplete only take effect when you press enter? Meaning if you just type the whole word and end with a space or punctuation it doesn't take effect anyway?
    blood25366 wrote: »
    bumpppppppppppppppppppppp

Anything that affects stats affects GS. That includes fireplace buff.
  • Options
    blood25366blood25366 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well since i cant make a new post ill post the question in here why does my gear score go from 8311 to 8299 for no reason and then sometimes goes back up to 8311 where its supposed to be but never stays there always stays at 8299 why is this
    Well since i cant make a new post ill post the question in here why does my gear score go from 8311 to 8299 for no reason and then sometimes goes back up to 8311 where its supposed to be but never stays there always stays at 8299 why is this

• Options
    k3v0n0v1tchk3v0n0v1tch Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    in theory, it can be handy, but, in practice, kinda like communism, falls flat on it's face right out of the gate. now all we need is someone to scrape it off the sidewalk, and to shoot anyone who suggests bringing it back.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013

Please don't bump. See lyokira's reply above, which I also merged (by mistake, apologies lyokira).
  • Options
    spoohtheonespoohtheone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've actually died because of it several times. I.e explaining tactics to someone doing it wrong mid fight, and a random name pops up. If you hit esc it brings up the menu, if you hit enter to keep playing and continue typing later you need to hit enter again etc..

Its a minor annoyance, but i hate it so so much..
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    yeah I just hit the space button.

A minor annoyance but hey, if people are too bothered to hit the space button then they probably shouldn't even leave their house to do anything ever. lol

That doesn't work for me, when it DOES happen nothing can stop it besides just backspacing and abandoning the word I was going to type, or hitting esc.

I'm not hitting enter to cause it either, it just happens on it's own and locks my typing.
  • Options
    genryu20genryu20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    teldara wrote: »
    Not the guy out the window.

3ud4e5.jpg

holy S@#$!!! that was the funniest thing I have ever seen! xD
  • Options
    blackhawke90blackhawke90 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When a name pop up on auto complete, hit tab, and it won't fill in the word. It'll still come up but it won't auto complete. It sticks too, so you won't have to do it constantly.
  • Options
    blood25366blood25366 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it stays at 8311 when i dont even have the fire place buff on at all then it goes back down for no reason
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it stays at 8311 when i dont even have the fire place buff on at all then it goes back down for no reason

I suggest following up on http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?233282-Inconsistency-of-enhancement-GS so that we don't derail this thread.
  • Options
    kitsunekisukitsunekisu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The funniest i've seen was a party member returning from a BRB. He wanted to type i'm back but auto complete put "I'm BackDoorPirate"
  • Options
    jilkorathjilkorath Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It helps me sometimes, annoys me others. I'll totally have to hit tab and see if it works to turn it off as suggested. Thanks for the tip blackhawke90.
    The funniest i've seen was a party member returning from a BRB. He wanted to type i'm back but auto complete put "I'm BackDoorPirate"

I couldn't help but lol in real life. Scenarios like that make it all worth it, I'd gladly take the 50% annoyance for laughter.

An option to toggle it on/off is good. (if tab doesn't work)

If tab does work though, there isn't an issue aside from players not knowing about it.
  • Options
    corporation01corporation01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /agree, stupid idea