test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please change looting so groups don't argue

aad79aad79 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
I feel like the current way looting works is facilitating arguments and bad blood in pick up groups.

A lot of us use the queue finder(k) to finish dungeons, skirmishes, etc. But when an item comes up that is class specific you almost always get someone who rolls "NEED" no matter what. This can be corrected by playing with friends and guildmates, sure. But I think the queue finder is something that should be promoted to foster a new game.

A simple fix to this would be to not allow people to roll "NEED" on items their class cannot use. If no one needs it, then everyone should just roll "GREED". Being that this is a pickup group in a free game, a lot of people are greedy and immature. It's up to the developers to protect the people who are honest, or else people will stop using queue finder all together.
Post edited by aad79 on

Comments

• jacktehr1pp3rjacktehr1pp3r Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Off the topic: As I write this I'm downloading this game, I really wanted to know what people think about this game. I wrote here since I can't post cause according to the web site I have to wait for my probationary period to end...hope I can all the feedback I can.
  • ursadorableursadorable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    There's no problem in it's current form.. I _need_ the gold from selling your gear.

As with pretty much any MMO, if you don't like the way gear is doled out in pugs, find guildies to go with. Problem solved.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    aad79 wrote: »
    I feel like the current way looting works is facilitating arguments and bad blood in pick up groups.

A lot of us use the queue finder(k) to finish dungeons, skirmishes, etc. But when an item comes up that is class specific you almost always get someone who rolls "NEED" no matter what. This can be corrected by playing with friends and guildmates, sure. But I think the queue finder is something that should be promoted to foster a new game.

A simple fix to this would be to not allow people to roll "NEED" on items their class cannot use. If no one needs it, then everyone should just roll "GREED". Being that this is a pickup group in a free game, a lot of people are greedy and immature. It's up to the developers to protect the people who are honest, or else people will stop using queue finder all together.

While I can agree with the general principle of this, I can see someone wanting an item for an alt. That's why I think the only answer is friends then guild members (I've had problems with guild members in other games).
  • freetosprayedfreetosprayed Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On the topic of arguing. I'm tired of getting a 24 hour silence because people don't like my opinion on certain aspects of the game. It's bull**** that a community can just silence someone because they don't like what they're saying. I understand why this mechanic is in the game. To keep chat spam to a minimum since every Instance of the same Zone shares the same chat!! To keep gold spammers from filling chat with useless information, but there's no reason to have this in the game to silence community players for saying what they want. There's an ignore function if you don't like what someone is saying.
  • xxviimbxxviimb Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's no problem in it's current form.. I _need_ the gold from selling your gear.

As with pretty much any MMO, if you don't like the way gear is doled out in pugs, find guildies to go with. Problem solved.

Your reasoning skills do not jive with me, I am sorry your parents indulged in your every wish and dream and spoiled you rotten.
    As for the rest of the world, there is a thing called common courtesy....try using it sometime.
    "You have a wife and kids? If so, what would happen, if we called you in at 1am, everytime something went wrong!
    Be respectful, remember, you PLAY the game at your convenience, they WORK at no ones."
  • jackbillyjackbilly Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was actually about to come and post one about this same subject. If youre going to allow everybody to need on everything then just randomly give it to people then. This whole system sucks and needs some tweaking. Ive got groups that are just fighting over who gets to the nodes to loot <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and everybody needing on everything. I also dislike playing with most foreigners because communication is becoming a huge issue. especially when they need on everything i want. Im just going to start running this like i did in wow with other people so we can get a 60% chance of getting whatever we want. I just dont like being the jerk, but since cryptic is making me be the jerk then i guess i have to.
  • wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Off the topic: As I write this I'm downloading this game, I really wanted to know what people think about this game. I wrote here since I can't post cause according to the web site I have to wait for my probationary period to end...hope I can all the feedback I can.

Best free to play game I have ever played :D

Back on topic I always ask people to be nice and only roll need If you really need it...most players are nice but the ones who just roll need all the time go in my black book of doom +3. If I see them again I will shame them and boot them from the group.
    edited May 2013
    Oh one idea I have for the devs maybe to ponder is If your character is the right class for the item maybe add 40 to the dice roll...
  • dlcarterdlcarter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thing is when you hit need it should go to those that need it. From playing DDO that is what I had thought it would do until my 1st group here. In the other D&D MMO in the social panel LFM's if the leader puts need before greed generally speaking only those that can use the item roll for it. Of course people still abuse taking loot, that is why in that game so many raids and good loot quests are no longer done in a pug "Pick up group"
    I am not lost, I am exploring. All who wander are not lost.
    Not all who seem to be lost want to be found.
    :D
  • relekrelek Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This is NOT the way loot should be distributed. If a specific class needs an item that just dropped, they shouldn't have to deal with people like you rolling just for the 30 silver. There's already a message on the roll window that states "Your class cannot use this item." Why not just take it a step further and make it impossible to roll Need if you can't use it?

I'm convinced that common courtesy is a long-dead concept among the cesspool that is the MMO community. Unfortunately, it's up to the game companies to force fairness among players. I completely agree with class-only Need rolls. The greedy asshats of the community will make do just fine without their small amount of extra gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *Actual screenshot taken in game.

IGN: Relek
    Server: Lost City

PVE Is for Cowards b:surrender
    PVP is for the Cool people b:cool
  • relekrelek Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wrenaq wrote: »
    Best free to play game I have ever played :D

Back on topic I always ask people to be nice and only roll need If you really need it...most players are nice but the ones who just roll need all the time go in my black book of doom +3. If I see them again I will shame them and boot them from the group.

I do the same. I usually end up with group leader for some reason. I do enjoy the fact that I can just simply boot someone from the group if I'm leader. No 'voting' process to it.

If someone is needing on everything, Boot. Have fun in town.
    If someone is AFK, Boot.
    If someone is bad-mouthing another player, Boot.

Then the game just auto-fills your group for you. Love that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *Actual screenshot taken in game.

IGN: Relek
    Server: Lost City

PVE Is for Cowards b:surrender
    PVP is for the Cool people b:cool
    edited May 2013
    To be fair most people I have played with are very nice and do not roll need for everything, I would say on Mindslayer 90% of folk are decent and do still have common courtesy.
    Oh and Ursadorable has earned his place in my black book of doom +3 ;)
  • serotonergicserotonergic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    To be fair most people I have played with are very nice and do not roll need for everything, I would say on Mindslayer 90% of folk are decent and do still have common courtesy.
    Oh and Ursadorable has earned his place in my black book of doom +3 ;)

You are a lowbie aren't you? Wait until you get to epic dungeons where the sole reason your running it is just for an epic upgrade - where you can do like 10 or 20 runs without an upgrade for you dropping and then when something does you have scum <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> who can't even use it need rolling on it also.

It's ridiculous. People suck. I'm never PUG'ing in this game again. I'm so upset over people's lack of manners, etiquette, and morals that I probably will just not play anymore.
    edited May 2013
    Yup level 59 on my main....
    If it means anything I swear on my wang +4 I will not be one of those players :D I will always pass on something I do not need.
  • serotonergicserotonergic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Yup level 59 on my main....
    If it means anything I swear on my wang +4 I will not be one of those players :D I will always pass on something I do not need.

I'm not either, but a LOT of people in this game aren't sadly.
    edited May 2013
    F2P model probably attracts more of the bad kind of people.
  • scottstatenscottstaten Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Unfortunately, your "need" for gold is not the same as someone else having a "need" for a genuine upgrade. Especially when gold gets you so little in this game!
  • lambch0pzlambch0pz Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013

Agreed. /10char
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    A simpler fix would simply be to not use a rolling system for loot at all. RNG loot drops.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • vampiregoatvampiregoat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Funny you must get into bad groups NEVER been in one where someone complained. I was in a few and did not get a single drop but I did not care.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The simplest fix is to do away with group loot entirely; give everyone their own loot rolls. Chests already work like this anyway, no reason why it can't be applied to everything else.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    the simplest fix is to do away with group loot entirely; give everyone their own loot rolls. Chests already work like this anyway, no reason why it can't be applied to everything else.

this. Ever so much, this.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • chaoticracerchaoticracer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The simplest fix is to do away with group loot entirely; give everyone their own loot rolls. Chests already work like this anyway, no reason why it can't be applied to everything else.

100% agree. I'll probably get flamed but whatever....Guild Wars 2 gets it right here. EVERYTHING is yours and yours alone. Crafting node? Yours. Chest? Yours. Loot drops? ALL YOURS. Every game should be like this.
    "Wars do not determine who is right, only who is left."
    edited May 2013
    100% agree. I'll probably get flamed but whatever....Guild Wars 2 gets it right here. EVERYTHING is yours and yours alone. Crafting node? Yours. Chest? Yours. Loot drops? ALL YOURS. Every game should be like this.

It's not unique to that game, many games are moving towards this trend in some form or another. Even this game does (at least for chests).
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Been said many, many times here. Hopefully it gets changed at some point. Current system is pretty ridiculous and lacking compared to most other mmos out there.
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    this. Ever so much, this.

It would be nice but not sure how involved it would be to implement that concept at this point.
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    It would be nice but not sure how involved it would be to implement that concept at this point.
    It wouldn't be that overcomplex actually. White loot is not shared, neither are certain boss drops (Storming the Keep, at least if I recall right).
    edited May 2013
    It wouldn't be that overcomplex actually. White loot is not shared, neither are certain boss drops (Storming the Keep, at least if I recall right).

Yeah...I'm no programmer so I'll take your word for it. I just think having the actual need function work as it does in every other mmo that exists on planet earth would be easier and quicker to put into place. That concept of individual loot would be ideal. At this point though I'll take what I can get to be honest. Was definitely one of the better designs Anet did with GW2 though I must say.
  • cptcheese255cptcheese255 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm interested how does it choose the leader for the party? Is it random or is there some kind of system?
  • dragonbournedragonbourne Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    Yeah...I'm no programmer so I'll take your word for it. I just think having the actual need function work as it does in every other mmo that exists on planet earth would be easier and quicker to put into place. That concept of individual loot would be ideal. At this point though I'll take what I can get to be honest. Was definitely one of the better designs Anet did with GW2 though I must say.

I take it you haven't been around for too long, because the most popular MMO in history uses (used? probably changed it due to whiners) this style of loot roll. I have a Guardian Fighter and so far haven't had anything that dropped for my class. I simply Pass, no need to even roll Greed, in my eyes, but it still wouldn't consume me if something did drop and got off-class rolled for. I'd simply just remember who I was dealing with for future reference and move on. Basically, it's just a game to me. I have real life problems that far outweigh an imaginary piece of loot.