test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GameZone's article, "Neverwinter might be the best free-to-play MMORPG yet"

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in News & Announcements
Check out GameZone's article to learn why "Neverwinter might be the best free-to-play MMORPG yet"! http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2013/05/01/neverwinter-might-be-the-best-free-to-play-mmorpg-yet
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• zilak22zilak22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    True points.
    But the article is a bit one-sided.

There is no negative feedback at all.

Lets strip the article down.....

- Voice chat : nothing new, been in many games a long time, just good to see NW has it tho.
    - Professions - send forth your hirelings and manage your tasks : nothing new, seen it before "Alganon" has one feature for their game, just not as fast as NW's, glad one game got that right!

Web features.
    - Your character : Seen before
    - Tarmalune Auction House - Buy and sell items on the auction house : Seen before
    - Guild news, calendar and roster : Seen before
    - Mail - send and receive in-game email : Not sure If I've seen this one.

To throw in some negative feed back...

- Many players with zen payment issues and AH issues.
    - End game = Sit in town and que dungeons for gear and play AH to get diamonds. (PVE)
    Unless you do foundry and do other peoples quests.
    - Item shop... A punch in the stomach on a few items.
    - Que'ing for dungeons can put you in a party with 5 dps.....
    among other things that can be read in the bug section.

Over all this is a great game, nice graphics and cool areas and mobs to fight and the combat is easy to get into and makes you not fall asleep i feel.
    But end game as PVE is slight low on content i feel for me since im not into the AH at all, if this was an open world without portals, I would enjoyed the game probably 30% more, at least its not like in GW1 where you got alienated if you didn't have a friend in a party with you.
    But sitting in town and just queing dungeons for seals to to buy armor for or get drops are kinda annoying, but still better then wow where you only could do the best content dungeons once a week and amazingly hard to find a party some times, so the que system for epic dungeons are awesome addition.
    And foundry is really cool feature!

A bit more content for end gamers and maybe special dungeons only guild party's can enter for special rewards, like chance to get a special mount/runes/diamonds or something would be nice to see, well something more then "yeay a group of 5 random dps" + would boost guild activity. =p

Maybe im to negative, but meh, just trying to make it less onesided, good you had an awesome review tho on this game, its noticable some hard work went down making it, now its just need those few last touches to realy shine even more. :D
  • jeppiebjeppieb Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Foundry is the best feature that was added to this game (and one of the few original ideas). Even Blizzard will probably 'steal' this idea for their next MMO. If managed well, it can be the greatest asset in the future of Neverwinter.
  • garthereongarthereon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My biggest issue is how much the game relies on the ZEN market. To get lvl 3 mounts, purchase with ZEN. Make a mistake leveling up your character: pay with ZEN. Need more Bank slots? Pay with ZEN. Want more than 2 characters: Pay with ZEN. Want to open Nightmare Lockboxes? Pay with ZEN. There are a few other in game situations that is also only accessible with ZEN. I don't mind if games FTP or otherwise want to take advantage of micro transactions, but in all honestly I would rather be able to pay a monthly subscription (as I once did with WoW) over being asked to shell out $ to take advantage of some in-game *choices* that should be allowed to be accessible with either in-game currency or some other form of restriction. The only reason I say this because I think Perfect World charges WAY too much for ZEN for how little you get. $10 / 1000 ZEN doesn't even land you any in-game items worthy of note other than perhaps extra bank slots, which would leave you with only 400. I mean come on... Cut the price in half or do better tiered deals as you pay more into it ($50 for only 5300 points?! Like ugh no...) Think of all the welfare crack addicts you could score if your price scheme was cut in half or you gave out better bonuses. It cost you pennies to give out in-game currency, yet you milk the price as if it were something I could possess in my physical hands.

Outside of the ZEN issue, this is one of the better MMO experiences I've had even out of subscription based services. I look forward to seeing what other content will be included later on. Cheapen the ZEN cost and people would flock to this game and the others significantly. Until then this is one potential consumer that will invest no more time or $ into your market.
  • angelxeyeangelxeye Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    zilak22 wrote: »
    True points.

Web features.

- Mail - send and receive in-game email : Not sure If I've seen this one.

hmmm 2 of aeria games have it and so does pwe Jade Dynasty. What bugs me about this one is that auction items go through mail. I have had bugs with this (and I know others have as well.)

Otherwise great list.
    Yet, this is the best MMO I have played in a long while.
  • venger0405venger0405 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    garthereon wrote: »
    My biggest issue is how much the game relies on the ZEN market. To get lvl 3 mounts, purchase with ZEN. Make a mistake leveling up your character: pay with ZEN. Need more Bank slots? Pay with ZEN. Want more than 2 characters: Pay with ZEN. Want to open Nightmare Lockboxes? Pay with ZEN. There are a few other in game situations that is also only accessible with ZEN. I don't mind if games FTP or otherwise want to take advantage of micro transactions, but in all honestly I would rather be able to pay a monthly subscription (as I once did with WoW) over being asked to shell out $ to take advantage of some in-game *choices* that should be allowed to be accessible with either in-game currency or some other form of restriction. The only reason I say this because I think Perfect World charges WAY too much for ZEN for how little you get. $10 / 1000 ZEN doesn't even land you any in-game items worthy of note other than perhaps extra bank slots, which would leave you with only 400. I mean come on... Cut the price in half or do better tiered deals as you pay more into it ($50 for only 5300 points?! Like ugh no...) Think of all the welfare crack addicts you could score if your price scheme was cut in half or you gave out better bonuses. It cost you pennies to give out in-game currency, yet you milk the price as if it were something I could possess in my physical hands.

Outside of the ZEN issue, this is one of the better MMO experiences I've had even out of subscription based services. I look forward to seeing what other content will be included later on. Cheapen the ZEN cost and people would flock to this game and the others significantly. Until then this is one potential consumer that will invest no more time or $ into your market.

110% agree with this, yes free to play, yes looks so far as a great game but yes everything that you may need to make the game enjoyable is Zen, Zen, zen. I just hope with in a few month the greed to make every Zen related hit them back and they have to adjust it. I would have rather paid $60 for the game and ~$10/mth then every little transaction.

I'm not trying to sound cheap and I did pay the $60 for the founders pack but all these little transactions will add up and I haven't spent a dime on it yet....
  • daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jeppieb wrote: »
    Foundry is the best feature that was added to this game (and one of the few original ideas). Even Blizzard will probably 'steal' this idea for their next MMO. If managed well, it can be the greatest asset in the future of Neverwinter.

Ah, isn't that the truth though? I never thought that the innovators would become the imitators. Don't take this as anti-Blizzard by any means because there are still aspects of their games that I like, but yeah.. the last couple expansions have been them foregoing what people requested and instead, planting their own version of what was working elsewhere.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • cornellimcornellim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hahahahha are they even serious, this game is 3 on a scale of 10
  • psychoalphapsychoalpha Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Uh... the Foundry isn't original. Cryptic was previously associated with City of Heroes, which featured featured the Mission Architect. It was essentially the same as Foundry, though with highly customizable (and even more exploitable) NPC creation. It didn't feature the same level of world integration, because it was in-game virtual reality. CoH/V was sold off in 2007 and MA came out in Issue 14 in 2009, so given the length of development such things go through it's likely Cryptic was working on it before release.

It was certainly original when it came out in City of Heroes, but that was nearly five nears ago. And as far as I can tell, it hasn't been copied anywhere else yet, so I'm not sure why it would be now.
  • lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    i understand its open beta, give them a year & see what they have done with the game.
    i am enjoying the game & having fun... i haven't spent any money yet......
    but if i do spend i am thinking of buying a better companion.......
    its early days yet, just wait before everyone starts screaming.......
    this foundry or what ever u call it, isn't new because i remember when bio-ware brought out neverwinter in 3d they had
    samething like the foundry with the game....cant remember the year it was after the baldurs gate & icewind dale ( 2d) games.
    yes i am that old & the wizard / mage class had a spell book & had 2learn their spells & once used they were gone your hero had 2 rest/sleep.......anywhy thats not the point i want 2make....give them 12months before we start 2 point out all the mistakes.....
  • ishplxishplx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lpsx wrote: »
    i understand its open beta, give them a year & see what they have done with the game.
    i am enjoying the game & having fun... i haven't spent any money yet......
    but if i do spend i am thinking of buying a better companion.......
    its early days yet, just wait before everyone starts screaming.......
    this foundry or what ever u call it, isn't new because i remember when bio-ware brought out neverwinter in 3d they had
    samething like the foundry with the game....cant remember the year it was after the baldurs gate & icewind dale ( 2d) games.
    yes i am that old & the wizard / mage class had a spell book & had 2learn their spells & once used they were gone your hero had 2 rest/sleep.......anywhy thats not the point i want 2make....give them 12months before we start 2 point out all the mistakes.....

It's 'open beta' in only it's name. The reason I see that they call it open beta, is so they have that defense that you guys are so righteously trying to shove down our throats. If we wait 12 months to point out mistakes, the game will have failed by then. I had extremely high hopes for this game, and I still attempt to play from time to time, but I just don't see the point. A friend and I were talking about it yesterday, and we were both agreeing that unless this game goes through some pretty big overhauls, it's going to flop.

Like I said, I still try to play, but until more classes are released, balance issues are resolved, and they fix a lot of the massive amounts of minor bugs, there's just no reason for me to play this game over Smite, Planetside 2, or even Wildstar once it's opened up. I loved the concepts of the game, but it's 'open beta' release has been completely subpar.
  • thedefiler54770thedefiler54770 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The add ons in Neverwinter Nights were called "modules" and some of them were actually pretty fun.
  • garamel1garamel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that this will be great game. I was play WoW for 3 years, was play Lotro for more that 1,5 year, was play gw2 for 3-4 month, was play alot of other MMO but in any of that game I dont found fun how I found in this game ( expect LOTRO, maybe because I am big LOTR fun :D ).
  • sanguinedsanguined Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's only one real downside to this game that I've noticed so far. (apart from ZEN being way too expensive.) And that's the latency. I constantly get rubber banding except for during my morning time when it's more quiet on my server. It's not my internet connection either. I have a decently fast one and speed tests show there is no problem. Yet I still constantly get lag and rubber banding. It's really annoying.
  • pockieninja88pockieninja88 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    best free mmorpg so far.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cornellim wrote: »

3/10 and you're sticking around the forums, talking about a game you clearly don't like and don't want to play.

Idiocy, there's no cure for it.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • rydgerydge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ..give them 12months before we start 2 point out all the mistakes.....

if it take them that long to get it right there will no one left to worry about buying anything let alone zen
  • edavy89edavy89 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd say Tera is still a far superior f2p game. All though this is good.
  • rydgerydge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if they keep going it will rank right up there with "FailHammer" "Failing Earth" and few others so the tactic of get all you can before they quit may be smart in the short run but .. games like "Dark Age of Camelot" even with ea as it new handler still has people playing and coming back every day for the past what 11/12 years .../2cents =)
  • neutralevilneutralevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    I really want to like this game more. I was soooo excited waiting for Neverwinter. I had lvled my tank (and others) to cap a few times through closed beta and excitedly lvl'd him again in open beta. I hit 60, ran a couple of dungeons and now I have to push myself to log in. I still want very much to enjoy this game but aside from lvling im just not that interested.I will keep high hopes for the future of Neverwinter but if the very high priced zen market doesn't change along w/endgame I fear Neverwinter wont be where I spend my game time~
    [SIGPIC] KREETURE [/SIGPIC]
  • travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    "...though I've only spent a limited amount of time with the game..."

Wait. Full stop.

Without factoring in an MMOs ability to hold the player's attention for the long haul, an MMO cannot be properly evaluated. This means leveling at least one character to max level in order to experience both leveling as well as end-game content. Any reviewer who doesn't understand that isn't worth listening to.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • tahoenvytahoenvy Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've played about 15 MMO's and I really enjoying this one.
  • tswericreedtswericreed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Basically the OP post is starting the article is one sided - Although the title is correct, I've been search through many MMO which have Free-to-Play in the comment and haven't found something like this (Including Foresaken World and PWI.) The game is great, not just good and grind fest. There many things to do in the game which give a person time to soak in the game. At first, the Zen Market for items were a bit stressful, but there's ways to get the cash and AD are easier to get than FW and PWI made the gold. This game is back for exploration and adventure, and although there's map and travel points. The Map within are huge and give some time to get through the game. The end-game isn't based on Subscription games and Bought games. If course there isn't a end-game yet. There more to come, MMO's don't stop at level 60. (Proof with Last Chaos and Grand Fantanisa, and yes WoW) Overall I've been search for a free-to-play which can compete with WoW and D&D NeverWinter has a great way to do that. I enjoy this one more than most Free-to-Play MMO's because Zen doesn't bother me, like Aeria Points in most Aeria Games which are 'Money Makers Online.' and I'm glad to see a good auction house when you're not online or able to. The Gateway, I have to check it out. The Profession are fun to do and companion training was fun...I'll say this...Yes, things have been done before in F2P or P2P games, but nothing like what they do in D&D Never Winter.
  • fattynicksfattynicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    angelxeye wrote: »
    hmmm 2 of aeria games have it and so does pwe Jade Dynasty. What bugs me about this one is that auction items go through mail. I have had bugs with this (and I know others have as well.)

Otherwise great list.
    Yet, this is the best MMO I have played in a long while.
    World... of... warcraft? The poster you quoted claims to have played wow.... never used the AH or mail system... lol?

It does have a new feature though, being able to send the mail to an account rather than just a character. can do @fattynicks to send yourself mail. I think it works for others accounts as well.
  • herp4derpherp4derp Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Check out GameZone's article to learn why "Neverwinter might be the best free-to-play MMORPG yet"! http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2013/05/01/neverwinter-might-be-the-best-free-to-play-mmorpg-yet

When it's up. Oh, and when your account wasn't hijacked by an email reset vulnerability. And when support actually responds to your tickets.
  • grassygnoll67grassygnoll67 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The foundry isn't entirely original. City of Heroes/Villains had player created missions/quests in it and was the first MMORPG to do that, as far as I'm aware. From what I've seen it's working well. So far I'm enjoying the game a great deal.
  • covencoven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The foundry isn't entirely original. City of Heroes/Villains had player created missions/quests in it and was the first MMORPG to do that, as far as I'm aware. From what I've seen it's working well. So far I'm enjoying the game a great deal.

Same deal with that grassy, when it first came out there were tons of exploits and no one did anything but coh/cov story creator, I remember people having really hard time finding parties when it cam out cause players exploited it so much, but it has improved ALOT. People always look for a short cut then cry when it's taken from them, just don't exploit. Why play a game if your going to just exploit, seems pointless unless ur only playing because u want to be the best in the game and don't really care about the game itself.:confused:
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cornellim wrote: »

You really have no grasp of scale, or perspective do you? This game is nowhere as low as three.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • locklavelocklave Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    daschla wrote: »
    Ah, isn't that the truth though? I never thought that the innovators would become the imitators. Don't take this as anti-Blizzard by any means because there are still aspects of their games that I like, but yeah.. the last couple expansions have been them foregoing what people requested and instead, planting their own version of what was working elsewhere.

I'm sick to death of this false impression. Blizzard innovated nothing, all features and idea's were a rehash of earlier MMOs or games. You being to young to know those games or never having played those games in no excuse to give them credit like that. Blizz made those features work well together, they didn't not invent them.

The Foundry isn't even a new idea, it's just the first time it's being used on a mainstream MMO. The take away from what Blizz did was how the features worked right and how to improve on them and to avoid mistakes they made.
  • thothpwethothpwe Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Outstanding! Nice to see everything coming to fruition! I've been having a blast playing in the last few weeks! Its nice to see the bugs that I have noted have been fixed. Great work team!

Don't let the naysayers get you down!

:)
  • zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I wonder how much this review cost? Or how much revenue PWE took out in advertisement last month with Gamerzone......

Never trust a review from any website that also advertises that same said product...unless you like informercials and QVC.