test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Priorities with gear

mrcharlytoomrcharlytoo Member Posts: 298 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Library
I've just started playing and have a Wiz at lvl15.

Really not sure what my priorities should be with gear. Crit? Power? Hit points? Recovery? Life Steal?

I read a guide in here and that seemed to suggest that Crit is very important. The in-game auto-recommendations don't seem to follow this rule.
Post edited by mrcharlytoo on

Comments

• Options
    nasuradinnasuradin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The in-game auto-recommendations don't follow any rules, they're borked as far as I know.

I like crit too, most people prefer it because the renegade feat tree is pretty popular.
  • Options
    rosselohrosseloh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I personally have been prioritizing Power->Crit->Recovery, and then whatever else I get is good regardless. I'm only at 25, though.

The in-game recommendation system is broken, don't rely on it.
    Turn - Dwarf Wizard
    Turniwen - Half-orc GWF
    Turnholm Twofoot
    - Halfling Cleric of Kelemvor
    Errol Lackelir - Half-elf Rogue
  • Options
    mrcharlytoomrcharlytoo Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ok, power > crit seems sensible

lifesteal sounds great but not really recovering enough to make it worth a ****.
  • Options
    misterianusmisterianus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I read in another thread that stats has diminishing returns, and that power's diminishing return starts after any point gaind at 3000+

Do not know if this is true, but would make sense, atleast to me if it was that way.
  • Options
    bluereverendbluereverend Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2013
    I've been wanting to ask the same thing. I'm at lvl 34, and so far I've been trying to balance power and crit.
    Right now i have 1353 in power, which if i think gives about 52~ish buff to dmg, and 566 crit, which gives about 6.3% buff to crit.

Is the buff from power just flat bonus to dmg? if so that seems very underwhelming no? just a bonus of about 50 at lvl 34? or is it calculated another way?
    Also would deflect/defense be good investments? which is better for us?
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only use the auto recomend thing has ingame is that the broker tab will allow remote access to the AH for posting up your unwanted stuff without having to get back to town.

If you're making use of CC type abilities then defense or deflection should be lower down your wishlist than power crit or recovery. Lifesteal works off damage done so without decent amount power it's not as much use to begin with.

Whatever dev came up with the choices of quest rewards for the class should have had it explained to them what the class was as they seem to have been working on the concept of a wizard was some kind of melee meatshield with the amount of extra hp, def and deflect on the worthless rewards. And then maybe poked with a very sharp stick just to make sure they were listening.
  • Options
    tobascodagamatobascodagama Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The recommended thing looks purely at Gear Score, not actual stats, so just ignore it.

Power->Crit->Recovery is the core itemisation for the Renegade build, obviously. I'm not doing Renegade on my CW, though, so I've been building Power->Recovery instead. Gotta use those Encounters and Dailies as often as possible. :)
  • Options
    violated87violated87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are no diminishing returns on power, at least not that I've encountered yet. I'm at 3800 and it's still 25 power per 1 bonus to damage/healing.

There are diminishing returns on crit and recovery though.
  • Options
    ipelarkipelark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    violated87 wrote: »
    There are no diminishing returns on power, at least not that I've encountered yet. I'm at 3800 and it's still 25 power per 1 bonus to damage/healing.

There are diminishing returns on crit and recovery though.

If i may ask, what's the soft cap for recovery/crit?
  • Options
    asfsadfhkljasfsadfhklj Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I prefer Power>Recovery>Crit, because of Eye of the Storm. The fact that my dailies come up more often adds more CC and more DPS in the end, while Eye of the Storm keeps me critting on a constant basis.
  • Options
    honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ipelark wrote: »
    If i may ask, what's the soft cap for recovery/crit?

I'm not sure, but it seems to be around the 2000 mark? For example with 2100 crit at level 51 I have 33.8% crit, but if I bump it up to 3500 crit I only have 37.8% crit. An almost 70% increase in stats for a little over 10% increase in crit. Definitely needs some testing though.
  • Options
    applepotatoepieapplepotatoepie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please stop telling people Eye of the Storm exists, I'm making a killing off people buying Shadow Weaver pieces.
    No just kidding. Power>Recovery>Crit

We don't care about crit on gear.