test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF - Why "power" is the wrong way to go, imho

Comments

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Trikcshaw thank you so much! :)
    I knew it was some simple formula but just couldn't remember it. Now if only the servers could be back up...
  • krayz33krayz33 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wWB5X16.jpg
    combat advantage + armor debuff + WMSdebuff + destroyer feats... though WITHOUT +25% power from slam
    that is one of the "higher" ones - so weapon average has already been accounted for

edit: with all that *and* Unstoppable (10% encounter dmg) + Slam I reached one with 13k, might've been a low one though so lets say it goes up to 14k or even 15k but thats it.

if the dummy really has 0 armor you can't do more damage than me with that amount of power unless something is not working right
    unless of course ArP can go into negative numbers, because I'm only at ~300 arp

well if anything you can actually proof that now (the ArP stuff) .... just press "print" on your keyboard and create a new image on your computer

are you sure you are not mixxing up the numbers, since at will damage "stacks" in numbers if they are done in quick succession
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    thats why "testing" even in numbers only should always be done either in a certain timeframe (like 180 seconds) or done with a certain amount of swings/encounters etc.

You're right. Maybe I thought you were saying something that you weren't. I thought you were trying to say that power should be ignored in favor of critical chance, which I thought was a bit absurd. It appears you're just wondering where the cut off is for each stat so you can power game the diminishing returns. This makes much more sense to me, and is the same thing I'm wondering.

It makes things even more unclear if each ability scales differently with power. It definitely seems like the developers intend on GWF to rely pretty heavily on power, crit damage, crit chance, and armor penetration. So really it's just a question of how many points you get, and where the diminishing returns kick in for each stat. If you can max all of them great, if it's only two I guess you'll need to decide. It's also important to remember that this doesn't even include your defensive gear points which can't be entirely ignored. (Or shouldn't be, in my mind.)
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have the feeling training dummies are immune to armor penetration but vulnerable to other forms of debuffs. Or maybe since they have 0 armor, ap just doesn't do anything against them.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the only thing i know is that i am a barbarian with every inch of gear put into power which yields well above 5000 power Power POWEEEEEERRRRRR - because since conan we do know bigger is always better

POWWWEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!
  • aelvez0120aelvez0120 Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    wait nvm /10char
    edited May 2013
    krayz33 wrote: »
    wWB5X16.jpg
    combat advantage + armor debuff + WMSdebuff + destroyer feats... though WITHOUT +25% power from slam
    that is one of the "higher" ones - so weapon average has already been accounted for

if the dummy really has 0 armor you can't do more damage than me with that amount of power unless something is not working right
    unless of course ArP can go into negative numbers, because I'm only at ~300 arp

well if anything you can actually proof that now (the ArP stuff) .... just press "print" on your keyboard and create a new image on your computer

are you sure you are not mixxing up the numbers, since at will damage "stacks" in numbers if they are done in quick succession

I believe the number inside() is the number before damage mitigation. Your pic means not only does it have 0 defense, your arp makes it negative.
    edited May 2013
    xiIROAP.jpg
    This is with POSITIVE defense.
    edited May 2013
    while that is most likely or certainly true it could also be higher than the number in brackets because of combat advantage

edit: however I'm still getting higher numbers even without CA
    so it does go into negatives, and I only have ~2,7% ArP

edit2: I'm also getting this... *very* odd.

CVIYzAP.jpg

while its okay that the DoT and Steelblitz don't show any numbers in brackets, sure strike should and sometime does... but sometimes does not

edit3: holy, I know why and just tested it, its because of the 15% armor debuff after each crit
    even that one goes into negative numbers however clearly not 45%
    edit4: yep confirmed it, its the debuff.

to bad I can't play till next week, but I hope someone else picks this up and shares results.. with this, ArP might be the stat to go for whenever you can depending on how well it works if the target has a higher amount of positive armor-resistance

with 3 stacks my sure strikes deal more than 10% extra damage
    edited May 2013
    Here are some results I just got:
    0 ARP, no plague fire
    9JmniRY.jpg

0 ARP, plague fire
    6H3HGVc.jpg

Seems like there is a cap of negative 10%, not sure.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i guess this number crunching is just natural - but i hate it...this is when these games usually become really bad really fast...i prefer just go for fluff :-)
    edited May 2013
    aelvez0120 wrote: »
    Seems like there is a cap of negative 10%, not sure.

that would explain why I'm not getting much more out of 3 stacks
    one thing is still weird though, because I'm @ 4,6% arp from items, and if the debuff is not applied, i'm not getting the damage bonus
    was someone else (a GWF) attacking your dummy, or do you have skills that apply -defense etc.?
    maybe it'll only go into negative if its applied by skills/debuffs

I noticed Plague Fire in your last screenshot, maybe it has been applied to the dummy at the same time you attacked it or something like that?
    edited May 2013
    that would explain why I'm not getting much more out of 3 stacks
    one thing is still weird though, because I'm @ 4,6% arp from items, and if the debuff is not applied, i'm not getting the damage bonus
    was someone else (a GWF) attacking your dummy, or do you have skills that apply -defense etc.?
    maybe it'll only go into negative if its applied by skills/debuffs

Yeah, I just tried again. It was other's skill making it negative. My weapon enhancement does that too when there is no one else around.

edit: Need mobs to test whether arp is addictive or not if the result was because of debuffs.
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm, just went into a foundry fighting an Ogre, kinda difficult to make something out of this mess...

Basically, whenever my debuffs were up, I had stuff like 650(593) rolling

I also had WMS doing 1378(1076) <--- thats an increase of nearly 30%... maybe the 10% dmg buff from it is also adding to that number?
    and to make things even more complicated, I had 3 criticals in a row, each doing less damage than the number in brackets

edit: I think I can explain why I had these weird "low dmg" crits, I used unstoppable there
    edit2: nope, that was not the case
    edited May 2013
    0 arp on a mob
    bd5Gj58.jpg
    5162/6145=84% --> 16% damage mitigated
    1.1k arp on same mob
    ZYspevD.jpg
    5618/5856=96% --> 4% damage mitigated

Conclusion:
    1. arp is addictive(flat reduction of damage resistance)
    2. debuffs from enhancement/skills make damage resistance go negative, arp doesn't.
    edited May 2013
    hmm pretty nice find.
    how much -defense can groups stack without ArP equipment?

45% from GWF + ?

I don't think ArP will turn out to be good in group *PvE* unless bosses have a sick amount of dmg reduction
    I still wonder how arazith07 got a 17k IBS (if its true in the first place) then though
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've seen over 19k IBS crits, happens only in group fights with combat advantage and other stuff.
  • forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    my indomitable bowel syndrome crits for 25k+ and i run power->resto i have no power enchants all tenebrous or resto
    edited May 2013
    hmm pretty nice find.

45% from GWF + ?

I don't think ArP will turn out to be good in group *PvE* unless bosses have a sick amount of dmg reduction
    I still wonder how arazith07 got a 17k IBS (if its true in the first place) then though

I wouldn't be surprised if it's quite low. It is a pretty good stat for pvp though.I know TR has around 17% damage resistance. Just out of curiosity, how much resistance does a GWF have at lvl60?
  • extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Very cool post guys, I like this data crunching. I've always stacked power and crit with as much recovery as I can find along the way once I hit 60. My damage has continued to scale up fantastic.

During levelling I did go with armour pen as well. I play instigator and the trifecta of power crit and recovery has been continuing to at least anecdotally keep pushing my dps numbers up significantly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
    edited May 2013
    terhix wrote: »
    I've seen over 19k IBS crits, happens only in group fights with combat advantage and other stuff.

I'm not saying they don't get any higher, I'm saying its weird that *his* IBS crits for more with much less power
    he has ~600 ArP more, but over 1k power less.
    yet dummies have 0 Armor and while the armor can go into negatives, it *might* be capped @ around ~-15%

I also used Slam+Unstoppable but couldn't get above ~14k with a better weapon than his
    and no matter how you look at it, ArP and Power are the only stats that increase max/avg damage

he also said that he didn't use CA, thats another huge %dmg missing, leaves me no choice but to believe its just bragging, unless I'm missing a point or something is not working correctly
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    hmm pretty nice find.

45% from GWF + ?

I have hit 29k IBS at ~7500GS in T1 Epics. My gear at this point was not as optimized, and was mostly stuff to get me into the dungeons.

Since being in T2 (8500-9500GS), I have hit 24k as the highest, with most ranging from 10-22k. (Crit, different stacks of debuffs, different buffs, etc)
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That said, does anyone have a picture of what the Sharpened Ice Axe looks like? ;/
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    May be I am missing something here but doesn't power add to the min-max damage of your abilities and weapons?
    So if your weapon damage is 699-750 and you get a added bonus of say 125, that is added to your base min-max damage of your weapons/abilities?

I think you guys are making this more complicated than it needs to be.
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • h3rflikh3rflik Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    I still dont know how resistance can go on minus, unless someone did bug out the calculation.
    What do I mean by that? If GWF got -45% defense debuff, we still leave out 55% of defense on enemy. Same goes for resistance (ArP) and any other mitigation reducing effect.
    The calculation thought can be done in two ways, first one is to reduce it multiplicativly other in additive way, and I think the possiblity might be the second way here with is counter intuitive for players.
    Multiplicative way works like that. If enemy got 50% mitigation, reducing it mitigation by 10% will result in 45% left. Where additive will drop it down to 40% with also give possiblity to go in minus mitigation, where multiplicative dont give this possiblity at all.
    The question is if they bugged out the -45% defense debuff with that, meaning it reduce -45% mitigation from defense instead of reducing defense by 45%. So instead of reducing the 50% mitigation from defense to 27.5%, it drop down to 5% with is gigantic diffrence. If enemy got only 20% mitigation, instead of droping to 11% it drop down to -25%.

Its really hard to say, but I have played tons of games and I seen bigger failures from deevlopers side.
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    h3rflik wrote: »
    I still dont know how resistance can go on minus, unless someone did bug out the calculation.
    What do I mean by that? If GWF got -45% defense debuff, we still leave out 55% of defense on enemy. Same goes for resistance (ArP) and any other mitigation reducing effect.
    The calculation thought can be done in two ways, first one is to reduce it multiplicativly other in additive way, and I think the possiblity might be the second way here with is counter intuitive for players.
    Multiplicative way works like that. If enemy got 50% mitigation, reducing it mitigation by 10% will result in 45% left. Where additive will drop it down to 40% with also give possiblity to go in minus mitigation, where multiplicative dont give this possiblity at all.
    The question is if they bugged out the -45% defense debuff with that, meaning it reduce -45% mitigation from defense instead of reducing defense by 45%. So instead of reducing the 50% mitigation from defense to 27.5%, it drop down to 5% with is gigantic diffrence. If enemy got only 20% mitigation, instead of droping to 11% it drop down to -25%.

Its really hard to say, but I have played tons of games and I seen bigger failures from deevlopers side.

Student of the Sword is pretty straight forward in it's wording in that it reduces defense by a %, so it is multiplicative. Armor penetration on the other hand (apparently, given all the tests done in this thread) makes you ignore a flat percentage of damage resistance. So if the enemy has 20% resistance from defense, student of the sword reduces that to 11%, and then if you have 11% arp you substract it and it goes to 0.
  • abloecabloec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I figured id throw this out there for you people, if you are looking for a pretty top tier GWF to do some tests lemme know. I don't really have the know how to do theory crafting so figured I could at least participate this way with giving some numbers if someone wants them.

Currently I go power/crit for my offensive enchants and defense for my defensive enchants. I am a destroyer build.

I am currently gear score 9,936. I could get it above 10k if I would just buy a better shirt and pants but I am waiting to just make it myself. Anyway to my stats.

Power - 4802
    Critical Strike - 3311
    Arp - 499
    Recovery - 952
    Defense - 1715
    Deflect -1035

I am currently using Greater Plaguefire Enchant and I am a Renegade so I have faerie fire. For people that don't know the stats of Greater Plaguefire it is 15% defense reduction and can stack up to 3 times. So basically with plaguefire and student of the sword I can achieve 90% defense reduction. I truly don't know if this is overkill or not, thats part of the reason I am browsing the forums. I want to figure out if I can change my enchant or even move 5 points in feats somewhere else.
  • rethophisrethophis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    Hello everyone, I noticed that nearly everyone is going for Power first... and I wonder why they do that, unless they really calculated it well and took their avg. dmg into account, but from what I've read so far I really doubt they did that...

lets get some facts first, at least I believe them to be "facts" because the character sheet says so, yet who knows if that really applies. right?

25 Power = 1 Dmg
    ~145 Crit = 1% crit
    ~135 Arp = 1% resistance ignored (might be 145 too but that doesn't add up with my stats.. so I don't know for sure)

GWFs get 90% critdmg (75% + 15% from Talents)

We have certain talents that improve the viability of Power, 25% OR 50%, it depends on what tree you choose.
    there is another one that applies on crit too, yet it doesn't stack, so we get a flat 15% power dmg every 5 seconds so to say.

so if we assume that we always have the +50% talent available, we'd get:

25 Power = 1,5dmg
    the "bleed"-talent is kinda difficult to add, because it does 3% of your power as DPS but I don't know how to calculate a GWFs dps in general because you have to take swingtimers into account, which is kinda hard to time and varies because of Unstoppable, doesn't matter though, because you'll soon see my point:

so lets assume a low lvl scenario

1% crit, vs equal Power stats 145 vs 150 stats
    150/25 = 6*1.5 = 9 <-- Flat dmg increase

100 swings (also note that this flat amount will also add to your encounters, which do MORE damage than your normal strikes)

109*100 =10900
    99*100+1*190 (1% crit+90% critdmg) = 10090

Yay, Power wins! by quite alot I'm lvl 10 and I'll commit to power then!

however....
    LvL 60 + better gearscore

1009*100 = 100900
    99*1000 + 1900 = 100900

now lets talk about IBS for example
    lets assume a 5k dmg non crit (might as well go for 4k or 3k we saw that 1k is the "breaking point")
    out of 100 IBSs

100*5009 = 500900
    99*5000+9500 = 504500

So what I'm getting out of this, is that Crit and especially ARP will outpreform power... what am I missing, what am I doing wrong, please consider that the numbers were in favor of Power and worse if you commit into the destroyer tree and whenever you do not have the 50% buff "available"

excuse my grammar and spelling, I thought I'd use the english forum because the german one is kinda "empty"

on a sidenote I believe the instigator tree to be better than the destroyer one now.. you get 15-25% more dmg on wicked strike
    5% crit and dmg from combat advantage, at least around 20% or more power when playing with groups

vs additional Determination (which isn't building up fast enough on its own)
    10% encounter dmg
    3% power as DPS

Naturally - thats only if Power works the way I believe it to, I don't know exactly how power works, because the game doesn't give it away like others do

for example if its something like (Weapon damage + Power damage bonus) * Skill modifier, then thats a totally different story
    but where can I look that up? (same goes for target limitations of skills etc. etc.)

edit: I just noticed that when I unequip an item with +120 power I lose 17 dmg on IBS
    so it does seem to be working with a skill modifier, I already regret opening this thread.
    Eheh that's right what you wrote in the edit section, in fact power gives you 1% damage not 1 flat damage. The formula is POWER/2500 and returns you the exact amount of % increase that power gives you. This info can be found here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com .

Furthermore, while power is a simple division with a constant (in this case you divide by 2500), the other stats are not like this. They tend to give you less benefit the higher the stat is. So increasing power by X will always give you Y% damage extra, while increasing crit by X will give you a Y% which is lower the higher X is: diminishing return.
    Known as Zerkul on DDO forums I]Ryumajin, Zavarthak, Leohands of Cannith[/I, look for me on YouTube.
  • glraemaglraema Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is another screenshot for you, maybe this helps with some number crunching:
    KEVStEF.png

As you can see, my IBS does 13179 critical with 9317 base damage, this is a 41% damage increase.
    Even better:
    Above this you can see two Weapon Masters Strike crits, 1571 @978 base dmg and 1754 @1092 base dmg. Both have 60.6% increased dmg.

My stats:
    Str: 25 = +15% dmg
    Con: 18 = -8% resistance
    Dex: 17

Weapon: Greatsword of the Heroic Duelist (752-919 dmg)
    Power: 3736
    Crit: 2258 = 27.7% @90% severity (without "Weapon Master")
    ARP: 634 = 4,7%

Applied debuffs:
    3 Stacks Student of the Sword
    3 Stacks Lesser Plague Fire Enchantment
    Weapon Masters Strike
    Daring Shout
    edited May 2013
    rethophis wrote: »
    Furthermore, while power is a simple division with a constant (in this case you divide by 2500), the other stats are not like this. They tend to give you less benefit the higher the stat is. So increasing power by X will always give you Y% damage extra, while increasing crit by X will give you a Y% which is lower the higher X is: diminishing return.

I'm going to tackle this. Going from 150% to 155% is a smaller increase in damage than going from 100% to 105% - the base increase is the same, relative is not. Other stats might have diminishing returns, however it's still more beneficial to get 3 modifiers of increasing damage by 10% than one increasing damage by 30%, simply because 1.1^3 is ~1.33, which is more than 1.3 :).

Also, the way Armor Penetration works - given it is capped - is a higher damage increase than the actual value, even for relatively low resistance targets:

50% arp against 50% resistance target is 100% damage increase.
    25% arp against 25% resistance target is 33.3% damage increase.
    20% arp against 20% resistance target is 25% damage increase.