test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Zen price?

iljiilji Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
What is the price for Zen in real money (either dollar, euros or similar)?. I cannot find a price anywhere.
Post edited by ilji on

Comments

• imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Depends on your location and the service you use. Roughly, it is 1000 Zen for $10. For exact numbers, see here: https://billing.perfectworld.com/
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • iljiilji Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Depends on your location and the service you use. Roughly, it is 1000 Zen for $10. For exact numbers, see here: https://billing.perfectworld.com/

Great thanks. But do you have to add a payment method before you can see the exact prices?
  • khasfacekhasface Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, in yet another cash-shop related insult, you have to put up your billing information before you can see the rates.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it - especially with this cash shop. I'd give my sister's left arm to find out whats up with the prices.

I mean, hell, $30 for a companion that DOESN'T POO DIAMONDS.
  • donatelllodonatelllo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to agree with the price of zen being outrageously expensive. In the long run, this will lead to there being an elite few on the servers and a lot of players that come and play for a little while, then move onto something else. I have seen it happen with a few other games recently. If the developers want to keep a vast player base that will recommend the game to other potential players, they will have to address their pricing strategy.

If it costs you 125 zen to buy a single Enchanted Key in game, you can see that your $10 of zen is not going to last very long at all.

Logic must prevail here and Perfect World must realise that even if they halved the price of zen, they would most likely triple their paying customer base. Sure, I am having a guess here, but from the conversations I have had with people recently, they will not spend money on the game due to the expense of zen at the moment. However, most folks have said that they would spend money if the price of zen was more friendly. It will be interesting to see how the company sees this and what their official reaction to this will be.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ilji wrote: »
    Great thanks. But do you have to add a payment method before you can see the exact prices?

It has been a while, but I think it only asked for my address, then I selected PayPal and could see the prices. I haven't used any other payment method with PWE.
    edited May 2013
    Have they given any information if they will add better companions/mounts later? Say i pay 30$ for a companion and 40$ for a mount, will they add a better one in the future that i have to buy also?
  • isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's still ridiculous you have to go that far to even see the prices. It's another thing that pisses me off about the cash shop system with this lack of transparency. Other games don't hide this fact and there is no good reason I can think of doing so.
    edited May 2013
    What items have to be bought and what items can only be bought on Zen store? Or AD store? Mounts? Bags? or also armor, rings etc? Or can you find just as good from bosses?
  • tamalinthtamalinth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    It's still ridiculous you have to go that far to even see the prices. It's another thing that pisses me off about the cash shop system with this lack of transparency. Other games don't hide this fact and there is no good reason I can think of doing so.

Yes, ridiculous. I cancelled out of the process of buying Zen for this reason, just minutes ago. No, you can't have my CC info just so I can see a price list. I'm disappointed.
  • occamslazoroccamslazor Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since I apparently cannot make a new threat yet (silly restrictions), but what is with the restriction of purchases to "per character". I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that if I purchase Zen to buy a mount / companion on one character, any of my other characters are shafted, or can I transfer the items some way?
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Sadly yes. This is something about the shop/system/whatever they use that I just can't comprehend. A quick search failed to come up with prices and I was very reluctant to give them my info just to see pricing. I eventually caved and did it, but I could have just as easily decided to walk away.

I don't understand what they are trying to do by not posting the prices.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
    edited May 2013
    Since I apparently cannot make a new threat yet (silly restrictions), but what is with the restriction of purchases to "per character". I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that if I purchase Zen to buy a mount / companion on one character, any of my other characters are shafted, or can I transfer the items some way?

Purchases act differently. Mounts are per account. You buy it and all your characters have access. Companions bind to a single character. I've heard their is or will be a way to unbind them. But I have no info about that, sorry.
  • occamslazoroccamslazor Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    Purchases act differently. Mounts are per account. You buy it and all your characters have access. Companions bind to a single character. I've heard their is or will be a way to unbind them. But I have no info about that, sorry.

Thanks for the reply! Good to know that mounts bind to account, however I really would like to get a Honey Badger, but I tend to flip flop between characters a lot so that seems like it's out of the question... =(
  • sauceonsidesauceonside Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I strongly feel that the reason that the zen cost is so high is simply b/c of the name of the game. I think b/c they stamped a d&d and neverwinter tag on it, they feel they can charge more for items.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Generally it is 1 Dollar for 100 Zen. In other words each Zen is one cent.
    So when you see a mount for 4,000 Zen you can divide the number by 100 to see it is a $40 Dollar Mount.

However please, please, please note mounts from the shop are account-wide unlike other MMO's. It sounds like a lot compared to other MMO's which charge half the amount...but half the amount only gets you one mount. This gets you up to 50 if you make fifty characters.
    But that's a bit off topic.

300 is $3, 500 is $5, 1,000 is $10.
    If you don't use USD as a currency I'm afraid you would have to do some extra steps to find an exact equivalent in value.
  • hatey0hatey0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I strongly feel that the reason that the zen cost is so high is simply b/c of the name of the game. I think b/c they stamped a d&d and neverwinter tag on it, they feel they can charge more for items.

Its because PWE purchased Cryptic for $50 million and want to make that back ASAP. They think <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the **** out of the players won't come back to bite them. They are in for quite the surprise if it keeps going on.
    edited May 2013
    However please, please, please note mounts from the shop are account-wide unlike other MMO's. It sounds like a lot compared to other MMO's which charge half the amount...but half the amount only gets you one mount. This gets you up to 50 if you make fifty characters.

I've bought 2 different mounts, just because they are account wide. Its a shame the companions don't work the same way.
  • rzepakmanrzepakman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not only are the prices sick, $1=1 euro, three cheers for paying more than others.
    edited May 2013
    rzepakman wrote: »
    Not only are the prices sick, $1=1 euro, three cheers for paying more than others.

That is because of the European VAT (Value Added Tax) and exchange fees. I too would like to pay 20% less, but we have to take that up with our governments and not PWE. You can't expext them to sell the same stuff for less only beause we have an inflated tax situation in most European countries.

(For fun, look up prices for computer hardware or games on Steam. It is the same situation there.)
    edited May 2013
    That is because of the European VAT (Value Added Tax) and exchange fees. I too would like to pay 20% less, but we have to take that up with our governments and not PWE. You can't expext them to sell the same stuff for less only beause we have an inflated tax situation in most European countries.

(For fun, look up prices for computer hardware or games on Steam. It is the same situation there.)

Except that many Steam games have their price adjusted, as in $10 is 8 euro or so. Not only that but Steam has two price tiers for Europe. It is ridiculous having the same price for for example Germans and Poles. The Polish minimum wage is below 400 euro, while our neighbours make I belive 4 or 5 times that.

I don't live in a country that uses the euro. Anyway's I would be at least a bit more inclined to buy stuff in euro if they at least put up some servers in Europe.
    edited May 2013
    rzepakman wrote: »
    Except that many Steam games have their price adjusted, as in $10 is 8 euro or so. Also I don't live in a country that uses the euro. Anyway's I would be atleast a bit more inclined to buy stuff in euro if they atleast put up some servers in Europe.

Most games on Steam cost 20-30% more in Euro. It's a constant topic on the forums over there. The indies (and it is mostly just those) who do $10/€8 pay for the difference from their own pockets (the company I work also uses only the exchange rate and eats the tax costs, but I understand why larger companies don't do it). There was a good editorial from an indie dev about this, but I don't have the link here on my iPad.

I agree with servers for Europe. 180-200ms makes PvP a lot less attractive.
  • agentpotagentpot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can pick any of the billing options to see a price for the Zen. Try ultimate game card if you really don't want to put information into a webpage which has to have that information to bill you anyway.
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    a Penny per Zen.
    edited May 2013
    Most games on Steam cost 20-30% more in Euro. It's a constant topic on the forums over there. The indies (and it is mostly just those) who do $10/€8 pay for the difference from their own pockets (the company I work also uses only the exchange rate and eats the tax costs, but I understand why larger companies don't do it). There was a good editorial from an indie dev about this, but I don't have the link here on my iPad.

I agree with servers for Europe. 180-200ms makes PvP a lot less attractive.

I do not think you can compare traditional games with mmo's. Especially cash shop mmo's. MMO's are a service. The situation as it is now, is basically PWE would like me to pay more for less, pay more even though the service I recieve is far below what Americans get. Right now lag in every area of the game is a problem, not only PvP. I die because I can't see the enemies telegraphing animations, I die because I rubber band to enemies I have killed half way across the map, I don't get loot out of chests because the lag is so bad nothing spawns.

In addition I've met developers from both big and small companies which don't see adjusted Euro (meaning not $1=1eu) prices as a negative. They realise that in this part of Europe, piracy is rampant and salaries are pathetic so they believe that it is better to sell something for less and build up an audience and good will, than to make that extra buck and alienate some part of the potential player base.
  • tearlowtearlow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thought I'd post a quickly made chart over the prices. Stricktly comparing it to the US counterpart. To lose some value I can understand due to VAT and such but for what we're paying we sure not getting value. In fact, nearly 20% loss comparing things...

At time of writing, 1 Euro > USD = 1.31

PRICE
    (in USD)
    Loss of Zen
    Comp. EUR/USD

€89.99
    (117.72)
    9,900 + 700
    8722 vs 10600

€44.99
    (58.89)
    4,950 + 350
    4358 vs 5300

€27.99
    (36.61)
    3,080 + 220
    2639 vs 3000

€18.99
    (24.86)
    2,090 + 110
    1714 vs 2000

€9.99
    (13.07)
    793 vs 1000

€4.99
    (6.53)
    387 vs 500

• stratrat1956stratrat1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    holt3 wrote: »
    a Penny per Zen.

And at the AD-Zen Exchange rate, you can get $10USD for about 400,000 AD
    What? Me worry?
  • bingobongojrbingobongojr Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Have they given any information if they will add better companions/mounts later? Say i pay 30$ for a companion and 40$ for a mount, will they add a better one in the future that i have to buy also?

yes they will do just that. They do that in all their other games, gradually increasing cash shop mounts/costumes stats so you gotta buy next tier of cash shop stuff, so to speak.

But hey, its just $40 afterall, no need to be so cheap :) Its either you buy in game mount or new game alltogether, its a no brainer really.
  • thirstmutilatorrthirstmutilatorr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That is exactly right. You can also buy prepaid time cards, where $10 = 1000 Zen.
    edited May 2013
    tearlow wrote: »
    Thought I'd post a quickly made chart over the prices. Stricktly comparing it to the US counterpart. To lose some value I can understand due to VAT and such but for what we're paying we sure not getting value. In fact, nearly 20% loss comparing things...

At time of writing, 1 Euro > USD = 1.31

PRICE
    (in USD)
    Loss of Zen
    Comp. EUR/USD

€89.99
    (117.72)
    9,900 + 700
    8722 vs 10600

€44.99
    (58.89)
    4,950 + 350
    4358 vs 5300

€27.99
    (36.61)
    3,080 + 220
    2639 vs 3000

€18.99
    (24.86)
    2,090 + 110
    1714 vs 2000

€9.99
    (13.07)
    793 vs 1000

€4.99
    (6.53)
    387 vs 500

Well thats terrible...Think I will have to look for a new game to play sooner rather than later.
    edited May 2013
    tearlow wrote: »
    To lose some value I can understand due to VAT and such but for what we're paying we sure not getting value. In fact, nearly 20% loss comparing things...

20% is exactly the average VAT rate in European countries. Actually, the average is slightly higher, seeing as countries like Sweden have 25%. VAT in Europe.
This discussion has been closed.