test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are you playing alts yet?

imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I actually quite enjoy leveling (as I do in most games), so after my wizard hit 60 and started to farm gear, I like to break up the routine and cycle through alts.

I have one of each class, all between 20-30, but I think I will focus on the GF as my secondary character since the class seems to work well in PvP with that European 180-200ms ping I have been getting. It's also a nice contrast to the CW. (But I'm sad and also started a second wizard so I could gain a better understanding of the Oppressor path!)

What about you? Only playing your main? Or switching between alts for variety?
Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
Post edited by imivo on

Comments

• Options
    thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, and I probably won't create a second character. Why should I?
  • Options
    perfectself82perfectself82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Altoholic checking in.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been too busy deleting the same character over and over as I try to get everything just right.

Not going to pay to change the appearance of a character that isn't more than a couple of days old, especially if, as I understand it, the appearance editor resets everything to a default.

But when I finally get them right, I plan on playing them exclusively. I want to try and give them time to introduce any new classes that they have been working on before I choose a class for a second character.
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is 10 characters a lot?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    stargeezertimstargeezertim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What do you mean, "yet?" I already have one of each, ranging from 17-32.

I need help. :D
    hh_banner_small_revised_zps5bc02b95.jpg

Will /danceseductive for ZEN. :cool:
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This game cured me of my severe altoholism. Although to be fair, if they get things sorted out, leveling will be a lot less painful than most MMO's since it offers alternatives to the autopilot brain afk questing.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I only have my GWF at the moment. I have made the mistake on STO of trying to cycle through too many alts at a time. I will not do that here. I will continue with my one main character for now until I get him maxed and I am satisfied with him. Then I will move on. By then, I hope they have more races and classes to chose from.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, not yet as I'm busy trying to level all my pets!!!
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    No, not yet as I'm busy trying to level all my pets!!!

That is almost like leveling alts! :p I am doing that too, though with my wizard the cat is just so good that I feel unmotivated to level up the others, too. But I will, eventually!
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Played alts from the start, I'm mostly leveling my cleric though.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    spikespirespikespire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not until Warlock comes out. Just focusing on my CW so I can just get my Magic Kinks out until then.
    NWsig_zps2f8df234.png
    ZRcH2.gif .gif .gif
    "You know you wanna fondle my dragons."
  • Options
    demetrius94demetrius94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nope, waiting for the Ranger.
  • Options
    zajurazajura Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Altoholic checking in.

^
    This
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I started with a CW, got her to 40. Then I tried out the GWF and ended up maxing her. I'm still waiting for the Drow to come out, so I think I'll just switch between these two characters, they're both really fun. :)
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think I like alts because I like leveling. Lots of people rush to the end game (I did too with my wizard) and then switch to routine mode. It's not that leveling is not also same-y, but you get the XP progress, get to try out new skills, and gear up faster than you do after you have the T1 stuff. Also a nice way to meet new folks, and the PvP is much slower paced before 60.
  • Options
    n1451n1451 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Left my cleric to play a rogue. Besides the much needed change to avoid boredom, this offers you an insight to how others classes play and allow you to perform better in pvp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Three characters 30-34, one in the 20's, and two mules/invokers/crafters in the teens. Saving up AD (and waiting for exchange rate to drop) for another pair of character slots when the next classes come out. :p
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Altoholic checking in.

This. Also the game pretty much forces you to play multiple characters if you want to play with different friends. Not being able to do certain content because of a level difference is just stupid.
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Voted Main.
    So far my 2 alts were leveled to 11 and exist for prayer and crafting. I plan on changing that at some point.
  • Options
    john242424john242424 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't play alts, never have, I just don't see the point. But for those that do and enjoy it more power to you.
    Frosted Lucky Charms are Magically Delicious!
  • Options
    okottekonekookottekoneko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have a main that i play solo, and a alt i play with my partner so i am at her level, alt lvl 14 main lvl 32.

was no fun running with her and 1 shotting everything also alts allow for more AD.
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Alts are where its at right now as end game is too grindy atm also waiting on them to release the 10 man thingo and buff my gwf.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    john242424 wrote: »
    I don't play alts, never have, I just don't see the point.

Well, it can depend on the features of each particular game, but.... different play styles, different character builds, different storylines. Just a few of the reasons.

In WoW, for example, I started a character from each race, so that I could see each of the different starting zones. This also let me see the different questlines for each faction. And then there's the different class playstyles. City of Heroes, you could make many different skill combinations. Also, more characters gave more opportunities to play around with the costume creator.

Of course, it also helps that I'm generally more interested in the leveling/exploring/questing parts of games, and not as interested in the "endgame", whatever that might be. Played WoW from vanilla thru Cataclysm, never really raided & didn't pvp. I did have ten horde characters up to lv80, and every crafting skill, though. Including three maxed fishermen. :p
  • Options
    mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I made 3 characters at launch then 2 more not too long after. I play with different people at different times so that determines what character I play.

I was disappointed that everyone pretty much ran the same path until I started running Foundry missions. Now I leap frog zones, or try to, while filling the gaps with new Foundry content.
  • Options
    aldemmaldemm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Waiting on the upcoming classes.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Today I realized the real problem with alts. They all need a Cat companion eventually. :p

Just bought my second one, for the Guardian Fighter. I really enjoy that one at the moment; good contrast to my CW main since the playstyle is really different. This may become my "solo foundry" character at 60 since he doesn't really seem to need a cleric.
  • Options
    pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's only one set of linear content.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There's only one set of linear content.

Three different ways to level, though: PvE with the standard content (zone questing), PvP, and Foundry Quests. The latter is not linear and it's pretty much like a buffet where you choose and pick what kind of content you feel like at the given time.
  • Options
    asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    http://tinypic.com/r/5n4vbp/5
    That's my main, so yeah. I play an alt.