test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Zen can be free...

mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
There is allot of complaints about Zen store prices. For those of you that do not know this, you can earn Zen for free and also at reduced prices. Since this game has launched I have obtained 3,185 Zen for $9.92. I also got some decent deals as well.

Break down is as follows:

Zen Action
1575..... $5.95 for a 1 month sub to Gamefly.com
98....... Survey about some fast food that I never eat
882 .... $3.97 Subbed to a Dr. Suess book club for my daughter. Got 4 books for the price as well.
630.... 5 day trial to some want to be Netflix site that I then canceled immediately because it was $54.95 (seriously) per month. Cost to me, $0.

So for those of you eyeballing something that seems out of your reach, this may help you out. There are lots of other options to earn Zen as well.
Post edited by mic281 on

Comments

• Options
    judgemonroejudgemonroe Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure, just grab all the zen you want from the Wall O'Scams. Looks legit.
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mic281 wrote: »
    There is allot of complaints about Zen store prices. For those of you that do not know this, you can earn Zen for free and also at reduced prices. Since this game has launched I have obtained 3,185 Zen for $9.92. I also got some decent deals as well.

Zen Action
    882 .... $3.97 Subbed to a Dr. Suess book club for my daughter. Got 4 books for the price as well.
    630.... 5 day trial to some want to be Netflix site that I then canceled immediately because it was $54.95 (seriously) per month. Cost to me, $0.

So for those of you eyeballing something that seems out of your reach, this may help you out. There are lots of other options to earn Zen as well.

enjoy your spyware, malware, and other goodies from those scam sites...
  • Options
    mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm just trying to help people out with the outrageous Zen prices. If you do not know how to prevent, combat or remove malicious software then be cautious. I have no fears of anything unwanted infecting my laptop.
  • Options
    fridgefighterfridgefighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

For stuff like that, the human society has thought up some excellent solutions called Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware.
  • Options
    ikagawaikagawa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 106
    edited May 2013
    "I got free zen! I just paid $9 for it!"
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For stuff like that, the human society has thought up some excellent solutions called Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware.

and if you think that stuff is 100% effective you are insane... sorry i'd rather just not risk having to reformat because of some nasty virus or malware... also that stuff is such a scam its not funny usually want you to buy something or take 2 hours filling out ****, and then not give you jack! BEST ones are the ones have you fill out a survey is 100 questions long THEN at end want you to buy something or no points =P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ikagawa wrote: »
    "I got free zen! I just paid $9 for it!"

Been reading long? I said you can, CAN, earn free Zen. Of my Zen 728 was free. Need me to break that down further? I am sure you do.

98 for a survey.
    630 for a free trial.

Now we do math from right to left. So 8+0=8. Nothing to carry over there. 9+3=12. So now we have to carry a 1. 6+0=6 but we still have to add our carried 1. So 6+1=7. Now that gives us 728.

I got 728 for free, and the rest for $9.92.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm just trying to help people out with the outrageous Zen prices. If you do not know how to prevent, combat or remove malicious software then be cautious. I have no fears of anything unwanted infecting my laptop.

Then don't ever enter the network security industry, you should always be leary of unfamiliar websites and their banner ads, there are some nasty programs out there that people can put on your machine if you are not careful.

Also your idea of free and my idea of free are very different concepts.
  • Options
    fridgefighterfridgefighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and if you think that stuff is 100% effective you are insane... sorry i'd rather just not risk having to reformat because of some nasty virus or malware... also that stuff is such a scam its not funny usually want you to buy something or take 2 hours filling out ****, and then not give you jack! BEST ones are the ones have you fill out a survey is 100 questions long THEN at end want you to buy something or no points =P

Aye, it doesn't always works, but sometimes you have to be cautious yourself as well, using common sense. For example, most people know by now that if a random website wants you to download an .exe and to run it, it is malware 99% of the time.

I don't do surveys you have to pay for indirectly though.. I'd rather do the completely free ones, but in the games I know those surveys usually screw up (same here, the Peanut thing can't find any), and something tells me that's not coincidental :D

So yea, I don't do any surveys either, for same reasons as you, because they are annoying beyond bull****.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It didn't cost you money... it cost you time and effort. Since there is some legitimacy to the notion that time = money, I'd say you didn't get it for free.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    bluemibluemi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Did loads, must of got zen for 5% of them...
  • Options
    sers1sers1 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have yet to do one that has given me zen. most of the surveys will ask me like 4 questions and after the 4th will say i dont qualify. lame
  • Options
    draogndraogn Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sers1 wrote: »
    i have yet to do one that has given me zen. most of the surveys will ask me like 4 questions and after the 4th will say i dont qualify. lame

That's because most of the surveys want you to be a smoker, heavy drinker, or have some other defect so they can use the answers to fuel their political agendas.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I did one survey and it took me 23 minutes. So not the best payout but it's not like I took time off work to do it.

In all my years of owning a personal computer I have never so much as had an unwanted pop up. Usually it is just the opposite and I have to readjust my restrictions to order a pizza online.

I highly doubt that Gamefly.com will go handing out my debit card information to a hundred third world companies so they can have a shopping spree. That said, if it were to happen I would simply dispute the charges and my bank would have no issue restoring my account.

There are plenty of fail safes in this country, you just have to know how to use them. If you are scared, don't do it. Simple as that.
  • Options
    bluemibluemi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess its pay or suffer...they seem more interest in money then game-play experience... and someone tell me the use for gold :s
  • Options
    kylewlkylewl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lol you guys are harsh, he was just trying to help, everyones been talking about the Zen costs and I agree anywhere from 20$-40$ for one mount is pretty high, ive gotten through it by doing these surveys, honestly while im in between dungeons or pvp i do them, gotten over 1000 zen so far and it hasnt taken time away from the game or anything. Its a slower process but it IS free. lol spend time when usually i would just find someone to waste that time with, instead i got zen to buy stuff ingame, think about it, one or two surveys can get a nightmare box key and you can sell it ingame for a good amount of gold or something haha. overall he was just trying to help.
  • Options
    valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    no free ZEN if you're from EU
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Exactly. Get control of your browsers people...
  • Options
    okottekonekookottekoneko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    another person rolling over and just taking it.

if cryptic dont do something about their prices they will end up losing too much money and probably abandon and shut down the game.
  • Options
    riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

if cryptic dont do something about their prices they will end up losing too much money and probably abandon and shut down the game.

Oh, you have data? Let's see it.

Yeah, you're full of BS.

Here's my take on it: judging from the number of inferno blah blah mount spam messages, I'd say PWE (not Cryptic) is doing just fine. In fact, I'm willing to bet the suits are rolling on the floor laughing as they see the money flow in.

And you know **** well my version is much more likely, if you don't take it literally :P
  • Options
    datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Zen Action

There is no need for all that at all,the books were a good deal tho,at least my five year old thinks so.

You can obtain all the zen you need from gameplay.You may not have all the zen you need/want when you want it,but you will obtain it in time.
  • Options
    cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disregarding the fact that you described paying 9 dollars for "free zen" nothing else you talked about is actually free either. The whole survey scam has been around forever as a way for f2p models to milk their clients for data mining value. Here's a hint they re-sell your information for way more than that zen bonus is worth.

Don't believe me look up how to become a paid data miner or even volunteer yourself to be part of online research groups and any other number of ways to get paid us dollars not in game currency for doing what you did for "free".

edit: I could probably go on craigslist and find someone who would give me zen for mowing their lawn too, just saying.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cocksworth wrote: »
    Disregarding the fact that you described paying 9 dollars for "free zen" nothing else you talked about is actually free either. The whole survey scam has been around forever as a way for f2p models to milk their clients for data mining value. Here's a hint they re-sell your information for way more than that zen bonus is worth.

Don't believe me look up how to become a paid data miner or even volunteer yourself to be part of online research groups and any other number of ways to get paid us dollars not in game currency for doing what you did for "free".

edit: I could probably go on craigslist and find someone who would give me zen for mowing their lawn too, just saying.

Actually I stated the amount that I paid for and the amount that was free, in two separate posts. They can sell what ever they please. All their effort will get mass deleted in my junk mail inbox.

As for data mining, I will tell you all what I told the survey. I don't eat fast food. Big secrets out.

Sure everyone wants to be picky and be like "well it took your time, so it's not free." Yet they still refer to this as a free game. Under that logic is this game still F2P?

Pick it apart all you want. I don't care what drives everyone's hatred for the ability to earn free or discounted Zen. Just trying to help people enjoy the game a little more. Some of you people are so terrified that your going to open a website and suddenly have your bank accounts diminished and your computer explode.

Like it or not it is there if people want to take advantage of it. I have had no ill effects and I did the Gamefly and survey on day 1 of Guardian head start to get more character slots. I have had no slowed performance on my computer, no random withdrawals from my bank account, no unwanted spam in my inbox. I have a valid Gamefly membership, I have a ****ty Saints Row 3 game sitting here to prove that. I don't have 20 immigrants at my door asking me to buy a Kirby vacuum cleaner. My phone has not been called once by a telemarketer.

Believe me when I tell you if any of it had gone awry I would be on here letting people know. Or possibly banned before I got the chance. I am not a kind person to CS when things go the wrong way.

Take it for what it is. A chance to get a little more out of your game for either a few minutes of your time. Unless your time is too precious to pull away from the race to 60. Or an ability to get up to 3x the amount of Zen for the price PWE would normally charge.
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cocksworth wrote: »
    The whole survey scam has been around forever as a way for f2p models to milk their clients for data mining value. Here's a hint they re-sell your information for way more than that zen bonus is worth.

Don't believe me look up how to become a paid data miner or even volunteer yourself to be part of online research groups

Just wondering... Is this where all the old steel workers went to?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

You type with such certainty. Wish I new the financial future of companies, I would make a fortune one the stock market.

Unfortunately I don't, and neither do you. Do I like the prices? Actually there isn't a **** thing on there that I want beyond character slots and the occasional key. Not saying they won't throw something up in the games future. I am a sucker for new races, unless they are cat people. But then again NW already put my two favorite in at launch.

Now judging from the way Nightmare lock boxes fly of the AH for anything less than 190AD, the amount of spider mounts, the amount of warg mounts, I have yet to see a bear, and the amount of people with HoTN and Guardian titles...I would say PWE/Cryptic will not be shutting down the servers anytime soon. Again I can not tell the future.

They have the two "ringers" in the Zen market. Two character slots for 500Z and the keys for 125Z. Between those two selling I am sure they can afford to run the price of everything else up. When Warlock, Druid go live and the Drow opens up for everyone they will most likely see a surge in those two items as well as bags.

So as far as rolling over and taking it, as you put it. No sir, I am merely accepting what has most likely been a pricing model that was designed and gone over by people with much more knowledge in economics and player psychology then you and myself combined.
  • Options
    realsk2011realsk2011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You puny windows users amuse me. Linux runs NWO better than win7 or 8, and is virus free.
    9.jpg
  • Options
    livingdeviantlivingdeviant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    realsk2011 wrote: »
    You puny windows users amuse me. Linux runs NWO better than win7 or 8, and is virus free.

In windows you can run a virtual machine to do the survey's if your really worried about spyware and adware. There really is nothing to worry about. Plus a virtual machine is just useful to have with day to day computer usage.
  • Options
    vhylevhyle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I lie about every answer on those surveys. I only do the surveys, I don't mess with that other <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. In some survey's, I'm a 50 year old mother of 10 kids of various ages and sex, in other instances I'm 90 with every disease on the survey. It's hit or miss, sometimes saying what is logically true will get you zen, and sometimes when you lie off your teeth you'll get zen. 70% of the time, you will not get anything no matter how you answer, because they seem to only want to pay out either at certain times, or when you click the hidden secret answers.

I never do one where I'm completely honest, it doesn't matter anyway because other people filling out surveys will cover whatever I don't in mine.

It's for the illusion of getting something for free, based on the time you spend on it. It's not worth doing, because the company (PWE) wants you to spend real world money on the Zen. The surveys you fill out are only there to entice you, and for their data mining purposes.

I've stopped doing them when the humor of my own lies stopped being funny. I probably did over 200 of the surveys (none of the trial <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> below where the surveys "spawn"), and only got paid zen for what, 5? 1 was 98, 1 for 42, 1 for 50, and 2 for 37. That's it.

They are not worth your time, just get the zen from in game, it may take awhile but you'll get it. Heck, in STO I got well over 500 zen over 2 days just doing dillithium exhange. It's really not hard, especially earning it in game, because you are already doing what you want to do, playing the game.
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or you could just take the money you spent on those other sites/items/subscriptions and just purchased zen (to convert to AD).
  • Options
    bugs55678bugs55678 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I agree, the free zen is just a marketing scam. because they get paid for each person that clicks on those links, even if the offer isnt completed. So even if we dont get the free zen, PWI gets paid.