test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Quest: Purchasing Powers - Will not complete

arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
edited July 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
The quest "Purchasing Powers" one obtains automatically when reaching level 5 will not complete for my Control Wizard. The quest requires that one open the powers window and then buy or upgrade a power. I think what happened is that I managed to open the powers window before I got the quest, or faster than it could register, and bought the power before the first requirement of opening the powers window was completed. Now, 6 levels later, whenever I buy or upgrade a power each level it does not recognize it and so I can never complete the quest, though it has now recognized I opened the powers window. It seems only the first power purchased or upgraded triggers completion, so a quick fix would be to make any power purchased or upgrade trigger it for edge cases like me that somehow managed to get it stuck like this.
Post edited by arythor on

Comments

• arnhamarnham Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am also experiencing the same thing - I knew exactly what I wanted so I also purchased the power quite fast, before the quest could register.
  • aurwangraurwangr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yep, bugged.
  • zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having this issue as well. Submitted a ticket and no reply yet.
  • skystryderskystryder Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same still unable to complete at lvl 11
  • danthrax37danthrax37 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    happening to me, too.
  • milimeterxmilimeterx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah smae here this is bs i want my last skill i put in 2 tickets.
  • bradhpbradhp Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One more with this same issue. Strange thing is I completed it with my first character yesterday, then created a 2nd today and now it won't complete.
  • lefredlefred Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here, problem still exists. Is there a follow up quest to this? The tutorial questline or something? Or can I safely delete the quest?
  • dicemakerdicemaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    need response from devs.

first char worked, second didn't update. the quest is for level 5 and I am 9. could it be that it had to be done at level 5?
  • squall2551337squall2551337 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same issue here. One char completed, my next 5 have not.
    edited May 2013
    Well I finally got a response and they consider it solved and closed my ticket:

Hello

I understand you have a gameplay inquiry. Here are some resources that you have at your disposal:

Our Neverwinter forums: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forum.php

Our Neverwinter Wiki: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Neverwinter_Wiki

Here at Customer Service, we work with players who have gameplay problems such as being stuck in the terrain or harassed by another player.

Actual in-game strategies, NPC locations, item uses, etc.. are things that we leave up to the players to figure out themselves, so that they can enjoy the experience of discovery and become more capable players in the process.

If you are reporting a bug, please use the in game bug report feature rather than Request GM Help.

Thank you for this feedback and we hope to see you in game soon!

Perfect World Support
    Check out our latest game, Neverwinter!

Pretty disappointing. They did not address the problem or even mention the quest. Probably an automated or copy/paste response.
  • kajeliskajelis Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Got the same bug here. Quite frustrating really.
  • koerilkoeril Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Submitted a ticket about this too. I noticed in battle, hit the p button, but then had to finish my fight before I could finish the quest. I gained level 6 off that battle and now I can not complete that quest with 8 points spent.
  • azzanancazzaazzanancazza Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Exact same thing for me, too. Completed it perfectly with my Rogue, now with my new char (Wizard) I cannot complete this quest.
    edited May 2013
    Well got a reply back to my updated ticket:

Hello

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention! It has been forwarded to the appropriate people. Thank you for your patience!

Perfect World Support

They closed my ticket and marked it as "Solved".

Either someone that it was forwarded to will get back with me or they're just closing tickets to get the numbers down.
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same bug on my 2nd toon, no response yet - on day 3 and the 26th time I've purchased or upgraded a power since getting the quest.

I dont expect to get a valid reply or a fix until well after hitting 60!
    (Prove me wrong PWE)
  • darkbirdy1darkbirdy1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have this problem myself. One thing I will note is that the quest popped at level 5. I bought the power before I noticed and accepted the quest. My other character didn't have the problem, and I'm pretty sure I took the quest first, then bought the level 5 power.
  • thedrifter65thedrifter65 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Same here. It worked on my first character but bugged on my second one. Still no fix over a month later.
  • cutepuppydkcutepuppydk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well got a reply back to my updated ticket:

Hello

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention! It has been forwarded to the appropriate people. Thank you for your patience!

Perfect World Support

They closed my ticket and marked it as "Solved".

Either someone that it was forwarded to will get back with me or they're just closing tickets to get the numbers down.

This is clearly a near game wide bug, what do you want CS to do ?, manually complete it for everyone ?, that's not feasible in any way, it will be fixed by devs.
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This quest is still bugged!
    To replicate:
    @ Level 5 upgrade a power when the "u" pop-up appears, either using P or the Power tab in the pop-up

To avoid the bug:
    @ Level 5 wait quite a while for the quest "Purchasing Powers" to appear, then press P

The issue is that the quest is delayed in appearing, which causes issues to new players, as they do not know that a quest will be offered, and to existing players who just want to move on, and this quest can only be completed at level 5

Solutions:
    - make the quest complete at the next time a power is purchased or upgraded
    - offer the quest at level 4 with clear instructions that it needs to be done at the next level up (next time you level up
    - make the quest appear before the 'u' pop-up
  • graekynngraekynn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi, Im having the same issue with my second character a control wizard. You guys have a fantastic game here, I realise its new and there are bugs to sort out. Hope a dev fixes this minor bug, till then ill keep questing :)
  • ninjasmomninjasmom Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I had the same thing happen... but then figured if I abandoned the mission it would work itself out. I am now stuck and anuable to spend my power points after having spent 18 (powers indicate they can't be upgraded unless I spend 20 points... I've earned an additional 3 points {for a total of 21 points} that I can't do anything with). Did anyone else have this problem, too? What was the solution? I put in two tickets, but no reply as yet (2 days waiting).
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My 2nd char, a CW, is level 33 and still has this quest in her journal. I was expecting the power point and the quest, so I spent it right when the quest came up for me to accept it -- but before the prompts came up instructing me how to spend the point. I gave up on ever getting it to work, but didn't drop the quest for fear of further wackiness that that might cause.
    ninjasmom wrote: »
    I had the same thing happen... but then figured if I abandoned the mission it would work itself out. I am now stuck and anuable to spend my power points after having spent 18 (powers indicate they can't be upgraded unless I spend 20 points... I've earned an additional 3 points {for a total of 21 points} that I can't do anything with). Did anyone else have this problem, too? What was the solution? I put in two tickets, but no reply as yet (2 days waiting).

You've spent points in every power available already, right? The points you get before hitting 20 should be enough to put 2 points into every power above that line in your power tree -- indeed you have to put 2 points into everything to spend all 20 IIRC, whether you want all of those powers or not. You should have 2 points in every encounter power, at-will power, daily power, and passive power available to you before the line that says "available at 20 points" -- if you do and you still can't upgrade more, it's a bug.

I haven't had this but other people have mentioned it (without mentioning having completed or abandoned the power-purchasing quest), so if everything else in your power sheet looks right but the only oddity is having dropped that quest, I wonder if other people with this problem might have done the same and that might have something to do with it.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
    edited July 2013
    abell39,

Yup, seems to be bugged and after 4 days I have still not gotten a response on my tickets. Did one in game and one on the website, I also went back and updated them yesterday as I keep leveling up. I've got 4 points I can't spend and am level 21 now.

It sucks. Someone on another thread suggested I switch characters in game play, exit and go back in... no luck. I've tried everything I can think of.

I just wish that I would get a response on the tickets.

:mad:
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The bad thing about submitting bug report tickets is that by design, you will not get a response -- it's intended just to say "hey, this happened, thought you guys should know so you can fix it" and that's it. If you requested GM help, you will get an actual response, probably in another day or so. When I requested GM help for something a month or two ago, I think it took 5-7 days for them to respond. It's not that they don't care, they're just busy going through all the stuff they get.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
    edited July 2013
    I put in two gameplay support tickets and haven't heard back. I'm hoping that you are correct in that they will eventually respond. This issue with using my points is still happening (I now have 10 to spend).
    abell39 wrote: »
    The bad thing about submitting bug report tickets is that by design, you will not get a response -- it's intended just to say "hey, this happened, thought you guys should know so you can fix it" and that's it. If you requested GM help, you will get an actual response, probably in another day or so. When I requested GM help for something a month or two ago, I think it took 5-7 days for them to respond. It's not that they don't care, they're just busy going through all the stuff they get.
  • rustedheartzrustedheartz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow, this bug has been in the game since closed beta. Reported it many times and still not fixed. Yes I had this bug on a new alt I just rolled.
    edited July 2013
    On both GM tickets I put in, I got the same "form" response telling me it was a new issue and to put in a bug report... then they marked my tickets as "solved." I just went in, updated them with comments that my issue is not fixed and asked what I can do. I'm now a level 27, have 10 points I can't spend and am wondering if I have to abandon my character??????
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ninjasmom wrote: »
    On both GM tickets I put in, I got the same "form" response telling me it was a new issue and to put in a bug report... then they marked my tickets as "solved." I just went in, updated them with comments that my issue is not fixed and asked what I can do. I'm now a level 27, have 10 points I can't spend and am wondering if I have to abandon my character??????

ninjasmom, there should be enough powers where you can assign points to get to the level 20 tier where the ability to assign more than two points unlocks alongside another tier of powers.

You can mess around with this builder to see where it's valid to place points at any given time.
    http://nwcalc.com/

I did a sample build and at 20 points assigned, there were 4 slots left where I could have assigned a point. I'm left sort of wondering if the problem is that you haven't assigned necessary points to skills you don't intend to use... which the game sort of forces you to do at the lower levels.

I don't know exactly how this ties in with the quest hinkiness, but I think you should be able to assign your power points.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia