test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kripp's opinion on Neverwinter

demetrius94demetrius94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z-3cFiJMCY
Listen to the Sensei!
I've just hit lvl 60 yesterday and I've been doing PvP. I generally do alright despite not being that great of a Rogue player and not being sepced for PvP.
And I haven't really experienced the "p2w" thing everyone seems to be talking about, although I understand why people are saying it I disagree. I just want a reduction in prices.
Regardless though I found this video pretty interesting so maybe you guys will too.
Also I think the game is great, it has a lot of potential so we'll see what Cryptic does with it.
Post edited by demetrius94 on

Comments

• pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Some kid's opinion who makes a living off of you lemmings?
  • thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In other words, he loves the game (I stopped watching at 1:37).
  • demetrius94demetrius94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pops000 wrote: »

****, I've been called a lot of things...but never a lemming. Think I'll go into fetal position and start crying bitter, bitter lemming tears. Whatever problem you've got with Kripp is your problem bro. I just watched the video and thought the Neverwinter community might wanna discuss it.
    If was wrong to post I apologize.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I like Kripp's stuff (I haven't watched his NW video yet), at least the early D3 coverage he had done when he played HC mode in the first few weeks after released. Seemed competent and personable.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • igatgigatg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    who is this and why should i care?
  • deurkier1deurkier1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    i like watching kripp but i don't really care what he thinks about things :cool:
  • xowaynexowayne Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Typical man crush. Can we just ignore this?
  • demetrius94demetrius94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xowayne wrote: »

You could have, but you kind of already posted.
  • powersoulpowersoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reviews are for people thinking about playing the game. Not for people already playing the game. I think most that view this thread have already solidified their own opinion about the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vorkreist1vorkreist1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He basically confirms and explains why this game is p2w.
  • nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vorkreist1 wrote: »

Can you argue with him on it? I mean he went into detail about why it is.

Other games people are rewarded for the TIME they put into a game. This game someone can get max level and basically shell out real money to get all the best stuff.
  • lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thehadriel wrote: »
    In other words, he loves the game (I stopped watching at 1:37).

he basically says he loves the game, but that it is pay to win and you should be aware of that up front. He also eludes to other issues like agro system, and shield of the cleric being insanely good.

Edit: basically its like playing an old final fantasy game, putting a code in to get max level, and gear at start of the game. only in this case the cheat is cash.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xowayne wrote: »

roflolololol

"If you don't liek it don't watch it or comment on it, hurhurhurhurhurhurhurhuhurhurhurhuhurhurhurhur"

on topic:

yup, he just highlights that it's sold power. which is the crux of all P2W arguments, and because of the competitive nature of the game (undeniable as it's inherent in MMO's) the difference of time between grinding and paying is MASSIVE to the point of obvious stupidity, and thus it veers off into pay to win territory, most of the people he listens to are calling the game *censored*

You can disregard it, ignore it. But that doesn't really negate his points.
  • isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    He's saying the same thing that a lot of us see with some threads going 100+ pages, but yes it is a good summary for those that like video.
  • xxhumorxxxxhumorxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> he's Chinese... I Could Never Tell With Those Glasses, And How SmallHis Box Was, but Wow, I'm Shocked, And At The Same Time Not very Surprised.... He's Either Chinese, or very, Very Stoned...
  • temptednz1234temptednz1234 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pops000 wrote: »

I like to hate on Streamers/etc as much as the next cynical old school gamer but Kripparian as someone else said after you, is competent. Very competent.

Meh.
  • thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xxhumorxx wrote: »
    Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> he's Chinese... I Could Never Tell With Those Glasses, And How SmallHis Box Was, but Wow, I'm Shocked, And At The Same Time Not very Surprised.... He's Either Chinese, or very, Very Stoned...
    I fail to see why it matters he's Asian.
  • verbal2verbal2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He's not asian, I'm pretty sure he's Romanian.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Using your definition, every MMO is P2W in some form.

For me, time is money. I have a regular job, but I also occasionally localize iOS/PC games to my native language. This is done on a freelance basis. So, when I play 10 hours, that is 10 hours where I also could have translated something and made money. Someone who has a lot of time DOES have an advantage in nearly all MMOs. If you have family, job, other responsibilities, you have LESS time to play and it puts you at a disadvantage. If you swim in money or have someone else pay for your expenses (often that means parents), you can play 12 hours a day and "win".

In NW, you have the choice. You can either play a lot (there are people who played intensively and now sit on millions of ADs from AH sales), or you can occasionally pay a few bucks and "keep up" or simply save some time. Either way is "P2W", if you use a very loose definition. Strictly speaking, neither is, because you can get ANYTHING by simply playing. There is no content you cannot get without paying cash. All the stuff from he Zen market is tradable, too.
  • highropeshighropes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103
    edited May 2013
    I play this game and I love it. At the same time I have no problem watching this video. Hes got some good points. It matters a lot on how people view and value their time and money. This game is actually really good. With more content, races, classes, expansions, zones comming, it's going to be really big. The P2W issue might be there if you are really the "hardcore" competitive player, I can live with that. But for me, I value the experience I get from this game and in no way do I feel the need to spend money on it.
  • vorkreist1vorkreist1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I have to farm lower content for a year just because I don't have fat paycheck as you? Flawless logic.
    I'll just tell my guild to wait a year for me to farm my enchants because I can't afford to throw 1000$ on a rip-off mmo.
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Using your definition, every MMO is P2W in some form.

For me, time is money. I have a regular job, but I also occasionally localize iOS/PC games to my native language. This is done on a freelance basis. So, when I play 10 hours, that is 10 hours where I also could have translated something and made money. Someone who has a lot of time DOES have an advantage in nearly all MMOs. If you have family, job, other responsibilities, you have LESS time to play and it puts you at a disadvantage. If you swim in money or have someone else pay for your expenses (often that means parents), you can play 12 hours a day and "win".

In NW, you have the choice. You can either play a lot (there are people who played intensively and now sit on millions of ADs from AH sales), or you can occasionally pay a few bucks and "keep up" or simply save some time. Either way is "P2W", if you use a very loose definition. Strictly speaking, neither is, because you can get ANYTHING by simply playing. There is no content you cannot get without paying cash. All the stuff from he Zen market is tradable, too.

So, we can pony up the dough for the overpriced garbage for the "macro transaction" OR saturate the economy and scalp one another in a blood sport auction house while needing on everything in group further adding to that issue, and acquire copious amounts of AD from fleeced gear which will eventually crash in price...
    Or we can simply wait and roll a dice every week IF we log on every 24 hours due to restrictions on how to get coalescent wards outside of the zen shop.

or we can *censored* off?

The fact that it's there, but on an the end of an insane grind/scalp fest, really kind of negates the whole argument you try to make.

convenience should not be translated as "i'm now nearly a YEAR ahead of you in progression cos i opened my wallet"
    because progression can be equated to power via stats and enchants add to stats, and are the main bone of contention.
    As someone said, it will take a long time for anyone to catch up with a paying player, so all arguments of "pay to win" aside, it's a hugely imbalancing aspect of the game and is NOT how you should monetize a game like this, AT ALL.

TL;DR:
    So I have to farm lower content for a year just because I don't have fat paycheck as you? Flawless logic.
    I'll just tell my guild to wait a year for me to farm my enchants because I can't afford to throw 1000$ on a rip-off mmo.

kinda sums it up in a less polite manner.
  • highropeshighropes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103
    edited May 2013
    You have joined a guild that is checking your profile 10 times a day running script behind that will kick you automatically if you drop below 10 lvl7 enchantments overall?
    edited May 2013
    highropes wrote: »
    You have joined a guild that is checking your profile 10 times a day running script behind that will kick you automatically if you drop below 10 lvl7 enchantments overall?

Nice straw man, could just easily disregard this as spam.

But I'll explain, very simply:

"No, he just doesn't WANT to feel like he's falling behind and has to spend cash to catch up because the alternative is insanely slow and pointless"
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    Nice straw man, could just easily disregard this as spam.

But I'll explain, very simply:

"No, he just doesn't WANT to feel like he's falling behind and has to spend cash to catch up because the alternative is insanely slow and pointless"

The tone he used only begs for no less hostile answer he got. Same goes for you. I can take your **** as well and call it "spam", but I don't need to start my argument with it.

Now to the point:
    If you are this kind of cempetitive hardcore player, then I'd suggest you leave this game as you probably will hit this P2W issue. If you feel the need to be even up with the best players and you are willing to spend 100 hours a week playing this game at the same time to achieve this, I'd suggest you to just leave.

Because clearly this game is set so the time you work and earn money is more valuable then the time you play this game.
  • theaszuretheaszure Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    no one cares what this exploiter thinks, move along.
    [XBOX] - Malvious - Oathbound Paladin
    edited May 2013

The people who hit 60 early have more ADs than I do, and I spent $300 on buying 15M or so when they were at 500:1.

Let me break something for you, and I will leave out the sugar coating:

If you have time to play a MMO for so many hours that after less than two weeks you are at a point where you must have the best enchants in the game, but at the same time you feel that you don't make enough money to comfortably afford $10 for a ward, I feel that you need to reconsider how you spend your time. I make less money than I could, because I value my recreation time. But that is also why I do not spend my vacations on tropical islands or eat out every night for $50+. It's about choices. You make them and you deal with the consequences and results.

That said, I agree that the transmutation chance needs to be higher than 1%. Something around 20% would be a good value that would still provide incentive to get the wards. However, I don't agree that you must have the best enchants two weeks after the game has been soft-released, and I do point out that you are at a point where you need them, you have, or have had, opportunity to make millions in the AH and simply buy those wards from the AH. What ARE people doing with the 500k+ AD that they take for the better drops?

The people who beat Castle Never already didn't have the best enchants, or even the best gear. So, what exactly is there to win? Unrated PvP? You win that by being on a premade or using T2 stuff.
  • kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    igatg wrote: »
    who is this and why should i care?

This could be the answer to a lot of things, but it does apply to this, alot.
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, neither is, because you can get ANYTHING by simply playing. There is no content you cannot get without paying cash. All the stuff from he Zen market is tradable, too.

Wanna know what you CAN NOT GET ABSOLUTELY NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU PLAY THE GAME?

100% success rate on the higher grade enchantments!!!!!!!!! You cant argue with this, it's the way the game is designed. You wrote all that stuff you wrote and I typed a few sentences and completely nullified everything you are claiming.

I win?
    edited May 2013
    nymesis92 wrote: »
    100% success rate on the higher grade enchantments!!!!!!!!! You cant argue with this, it's the way the game is designed. You wrote all that stuff you wrote and I typed a few sentences and completely nullified everything you are claiming.

Yes, you can buy the wards in the AH with Astral Diamonds. (Look, I can use larger font and colors too.) Less than 100k AD for the $10 one (as of right now). Epic T2 gear costs more than that.

Why people sell them for 100k AD is beyond me, though. They do cost 1000 Zen in the store, and with current exchange rates $10 is 370k AD. But there it is, 100k AD and partly less for a 100% chance to fuse. Don't tell me it takes you long to make 100k AD. Even if you never sold anything in the AH, never got any tips for foundry quests, that is only 4 days worth of dailies. In reality, it's a couple hours PvP with a premade.

You can exchange AD for Zen, so even if there were something that is not tradable between players (like name changes), you can still earn those by playing.

There is a wiki where you can learn the basics of the game. Link is in my signature.