test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

One Star Rattings

13»

Comments

• drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now I am getting one star ratings with the comment "Best i have played"

I guess there is no real common sense with these stars but yikes it makes it hard to get up there in ratings haha.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've had 5-star ratings with "hated every second of it" and similar comments, so it goes both ways. ;)
  • tshark66tshark66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If 1 star ratings are only like 5% of your scores you can disregard without thought....if the majority of people are giving you 3+ you are doing well.
    League of Monster Slayers - Mindflayer
  • tshark66tshark66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drakedge2 wrote: »
    Now I am getting one star ratings with the comment "Best i have played"

I guess there is no real common sense with these stars but yikes it makes it hard to get up there in ratings haha.

Your planescape series is very fun, disregard the out of wack reviews and keep making what you are making, alot of other players enjoy it very much.
    League of Monster Slayers - Mindflayer
  • iakkyiakky Member Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yeah well I dont have my quest reviewed yet.. and I worked on them very long time (now I have two and heading to third).. The first was "my first" so I didnt put much "side quests" or like little interesting things aside.. But in second I did much more.. to let player do moral choices... But dont know how players will react on it because both quests are not reviewed yet.. It is so hard to get it reviewed... I feel like I was doing those quests for nothing. And it was so much effort.. like I have totally everything hand made placement and stuff... All mobs customized and renamed and things like that...
    anyway.. to the point.. During the process I was thinking a lot about how to make it the most enjoyable for everyone.. well that is quiet not possible.. because if one makes some dialogs and makes the story through and than a lots of content is related to that story then some people may get lost in some point of quests because they didnt read it or something... that may make strange impression.. on other hand if you make poor story or you will have no moral choices, side quests or stuff then players who are expecting something more will be disappointed... I guess one has to choose if will go more the way towards hard core players and will make more quality which may be sometimes confusing for those who do not read the text... Or to go some more casual way.. make it more easy going linear mob killing show... But it is not much possible to satisfy all people... There will be someone who will dislike it because there was lack of story.. or there was lack of brutal hacking and slashing... Or you maybe put there some challenges that may be too hard for some players.. like it would require thinking a bit.. and thinking is not common to some sorts of players... But I guess that players who give one star and no reason are not that kind of players you should worry about...
    ID: NW-DBYLAUS93
    ID:NW-DCNH66D94
    edited May 2013
    Maybe you can make different kind of quests for different kind of people... some casual some hardcore.. and tag it in to your quest description.. or even in to your quest name.. Like "Epic quest (casual)" so players can automatically see what is more for their taste... Then hard core players would not review badly quests made for casuals because they would know its made for casuals and not for them... and casuals would not bother to play hard core quests so they would not give them bad ratings just for a hack of the thing or because they didnt finish when the path marker didnt appear at some point...
  • mirarkittymirarkitty Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That ok, I have a average 3 star rating, 11 plays and not a single review so I have no idea what is good or bad in my quest. Or if it even finishable by some players (can't leave a review if you don't finish a quest) and no in game email.

Is there any way you can let others playtest (and possibly review) before releasing something?

Or even after release, I'm sure asking for that help (just keep a single sticky thread around here) would be very useful.
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tshark66 wrote: »
    Your planescape series is very fun, disregard the out of wack reviews and keep making what you are making, alot of other players enjoy it very much.

Thank you so much! I am finished with the assets and maps of chapter 3 (i say finished, but they are in the "this is good for beta release" mode now)

Now it is on to write the dialogs!
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
    edited May 2013
    iakky wrote: »
    Maybe you can make different kind of quests for different kind of people... some casual some hardcore.. and tag it in to your quest description.. or even in to your quest name.. Like "Epic quest (casual)" so players can automatically see what is more for their taste... Then hard core players would not review badly quests made for casuals because they would know its made for casuals and not for them... and casuals would not bother to play hard core quests so they would not give them bad ratings just for a hack of the thing or because they didnt finish when the path marker didnt appear at some point...

I don't think people read the beginning quest text. In bright yellow in my quests it says like "Part 2 of the Planescape yadda yadda" and people are still playing Chapter 1 - The Book of Souls before they play the Prologue, and then going WTF is going on? Not understanding the story haha.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    drakedge2 wrote: »
    I don't think people read the beginning quest text. In bright yellow in my quests it says like "Part 2 of the Planescape yadda yadda" and people are still playing Chapter 1 - The Book of Souls before they play the Prologue, and then going WTF is going on? Not understanding the story haha.

Does it help anyhow to put it in Campaign? Maybe there could be some tool that would let us decide that some quest may be playeble after completing another of our quests. There would be something like "First you have to finish quest "A" in order to play this quest, because the content inside depends on quest "A"" or something like that...
    edited May 2013
    iakky wrote: »
    Does it help anyhow to put it in Campaign? Maybe there could be some tool that would let us decide that some quest may be playeble after completing another of our quests. There would be something like "First you have to finish quest "A" in order to play this quest, because the content inside depends on quest "A"" or something like that...

So far all my quests are under the "Planescape - The Skeleton Key" campaign. So when you click on that it gives you the quests in their proper order. I think people might somehow be finding the chapters on their own or something though. I am not sure. The fact is though that chapter 1 has about 600 more plays now than the prologue does even though it is part 2, The Trap for Karameikos, which is the chapter after that has the right amount of plays for being later in the series.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So far all my 1 star ratings are from folks who try to solo Cragsteeep Crypts without reading the overview, thinking that it's a quest instead of a dungeon, getting hammered in there for 4+ hours and raging at the end because they went in without a party and were left saying WTF!?. Good times. :P

Oh and complaining about vendors not being in there (which we can not put in) and the chest reward sucking which we have no control over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
    edited May 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    So far all my 1 star ratings are from folks who try to solo Cragsteeep Crypts without reading the overview, thinking that it's a quest instead of a dungeon, getting hammered in there for 4+ hours and raging at the end because they went in without a party and were left saying WTF!?. Good times. :P

Oh and complaining about vendors not being in there (which we can not put in) and the chest reward sucking which we have no control over.

Haha yeah, I have been getting one star ratings "I know you have no control over the loot, but a mace? come on."

Another fave was "WTF is up with my lag? 200ms ping?!"

I enjoyed the Crypt of yours with a buddy, it certainly is not for the solo player haha.

I have even recently tried to change the chapter numbers to avoid the confusion of people with Prologue vs Chapter 1... sad day this.

"Chapter 1 - Prologue" - i so need a better name for this now.

Chapter 2 - The Hunt for the Book of Souls

etc etc etc
    8IxArUQf.jpg