test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

High latency in EU? (150-200ms)

Comments

• bobzebrickbobzebrick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xantris wrote: »
    What more of an official answer do you need? All cryptic games for the past 3 years have been operated exactly the same. Everyone connects to US servers. You can't run a single cluster server any other way. It's the same reason Eve players all connect through London.

They aren't going to make additional servers that are Euro only because its not financially beneficial, plus it breaks up the player base.

Then if they demand on going with the same kind of system as Eve they should back it up with the same kind of money and computer power. CCP have a supercomputer to run their cluster and I can tell you I ping like 30ms to it and my US friends get no more than 60ms. If they can't do that then it's not a model they should be pursuing, it kills the gameplay for millions of people who are outside of the US. Just another bad decision by money grabbing POE, as if they would pay for a supercomputer to run their infrastructure from.
  • selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited May 2013
    130-200ms

Its a trend i dont like that developers do, not setting up any servers in EU and ofrcing us to play with high ping. GW2 did the same.
  • wolfsecwolfsec Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2013
    my ping is around 150-200 all the time ( Denmark ) In PvE it does not matter that much but in pvp .. meh =/
  • create26create26 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    180-250ms here
    ROmania
  • bobzebrickbobzebrick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    40-150 ping ( using a cheap dsl 6k line ).
    It's all about how you configurate your system, background services, running procesess etc.
    Once you managed to set up a speedy OS, try playing online games. Not the other way around, d'oh!

(Germany)

No it's not I play other MMO's like and Eve at 30-60ms easily. Stop spreading misinformation.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    my is 20-40 and im from eu to ,think u can blame isp not pw for ping problems

Please take a screenshot to prove it. I have a 100mbps cable and I'm getting 150-200 ping because the servers are in the US.
  • h4wkeye101h4wkeye101 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    my is 20-40 and im from eu to ,think u can blame isp not pw for ping problems

Sure thing. If you have 20-40 MS latency, I'm President Obama.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    (Germany)

You are not getting anything under 150ms to the West Coast if you use the German Telecom as provider. Do you use a different ISP?
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • baburmisbaburmis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    h4wkeye101 wrote: »
    Sure thing. If you have 20-40 MS latency, I'm President Obama.

speaking of which, is /showfps 1 bugged? It shows 20-50 ping for me too. Im eu btw, but that shouldnt really be possible, with 5k miles of rerouting, theres no way to get 20ms ping is there?
    edit: btw im on dsl, so nothing fancy either.
  • exhozxexhozx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    I think people are mistaking FPS for latency. I have 15 ms in most games and 150+ on here. Europe servers would definitely be welcome.
  • skierkegaardskierkegaard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People saying they have less than 100ms latency are trolling or just don't know how to check their ping in Nerverwinter.
    The number displayed next to your fps when you do /showfps 1 is NOT your latency. You need to type /netgraph 1 in the chat to have your ping displayed on the BOTTOM LEFT of your screen.
    Just ignore the trolls, it is physically impossible to have less than 100ms ping from Europe to a US server, even with 100Mbps optical fiber (which I have).

I am glad we are so many to share the same point of view on high latency from Europe though, but I don't know how to make Perfect World aware of this.

I know PW only have US servers for all their other games, but Neverwinter seems to be their most ambitious game, with a very big potential player base in EU. And it's an action MMO, which requires a good latency to be enjoyable, particularly in PvP.

Why not just give us an official answer so we know for sure if at least one EU server will be opened some day? Almost every other publishers/developers do communicate on EU/US servers, and almost every contending MMO (F2P or not) have some kind of european servers.

I understand that they won't open a server in Australia for example, given the small player base (but I do feel for them), but it doesn't sound commercially viable to not have European servers.

NW could be really big in Europe (I think), but 200ms latency will prevent it from having a steadily growing player base. On every forum I posted people are starting to get fed up by the lack of reactivity and bugs caused by this latency, and don't see themselves playing it for too long and investing time/money in it if no EU servers are to be opened.
  • komablackkomablack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't complain.
    I live in NZ and I have a consistent 280ms, it never goes up and it never goes down.
    I can feel the delay which annoys the hell out of me.
  • rood4everrood4ever Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I live in the EU aswell, have ping fluctuating between 125ms and 220ms, noticeable in game and very noticeable in PvP when your opponent has 'high' ms aswell.

No EU servers or at least lower ms means I will not continue to play very long. Back to Dota 2 or Diablo 3 then I guess, too bad I really liked this game.
  • v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    150ms is almost unnoticeable in NW. And no, there won't be any EU server so if you don't like it, you might as well stop playing now.
  • xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Around the 200ms mark. Also, just now the lag from the server was really bad. Pretty much unplayable in a dungeon run. I wasn't the only player with it, the rest of the party had lag too.
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
  • zocat1zocat1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why not just give us an official answer so we know for sure if at least one EU server will be opened some day? Almost every other publishers/developers do communicate on EU/US servers, and almost every contending MMO (F2P or not) have some kind of european servers.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?193961-Will-there-be-a-European-based-mega-server
    edited May 2013
    v1ctor2k wrote: »
    150ms is almost unnoticeable in NW. And no, there won't be any EU server so if you don't like it, you might as well stop playing now.

So even if I had 50ms ping I would still be hit by attacks after I've moved away from the circle or failed to block something even though I had my shield up? Those certainly seem to be caused by latency.
  • v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    So even if I had 50ms ping I would still be hit by attacks after I've moved away from the circle or failed to block something even though I had my shield up? Those certainly seem to be caused by latency.

It may have been caused by packet loss and/or server lag. My opinion stands. 150-200ms in NW is about the same as <100ms in most other games.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    baburmis wrote: »
    speaking of which, is /showfps 1 bugged? It shows 20-50 ping for me too. Im eu btw, but that shouldnt really be possible, with 5k miles of rerouting, theres no way to get 20ms ping is there?
    edit: btw im on dsl, so nothing fancy either.

/showfps displays how many times per second your monitor refreshes your screen. This is not your ping. The command to see your ping is /netgraph 1.
  • wizmaowizmao Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm at almost 400 ping constantly and can still get good ranking in PvP having over 10 kills and less than 5 death in many games, I'm in level 59 bracket ATM. I don't see how you should be complaining...

Yes there's a major difference in gameplay between us and low ping players but, it's our choice that we want to play this game and shouldn't complain about the lag. If you couldn't handle PvP, then go full pve.
  • benthalackbenthalack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It may have been caused by packet loss and/or server lag. My opinion stands. 150-200ms in NW is about the same as <100ms in most other games.

Pure bull. Play level 60 pvp and try to say that again with a straight face. Of course latency doesn't matter in level 30 scrub quests.

I'm at a point in the game were I constantly lose in PVP simply because my latency is ****. If I 1vs1 another CW I always get hit by CC's first, simply because they insist on ****ing world servers. Sorry the tech just isn't there yet in 2013 to support an action combat based MMO that utilized dodge mechanics heavily if you want to host the entire ****ing world in one location.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    benthalack wrote: »
    Pure bull. Play level 60 pvp and try to say that again with a straight face. Of course latency doesn't matter in level 30 scrub quests.

I'm at a point in the game were I constantly lose in PVP simply because my latency is ****. If I 1vs1 another CW I always get hit by CC's first, simply because they insist on ****ing world servers. Sorry the tech just isn't there yet in 2013 to support an action combat based MMO that utilized dodge mechanics heavily if you want to host the entire ****ing world in one location.

Thanks to the world server you have an excuse for performing badly in pvp. But I'm not too worried for you, if you had a 10ms ping you would probably find another good reason to explain that rather than taking a look at yourself.
    edited May 2013
    He is right, though. In a combat system where you have very brief windows where you can react (and they are smaller in PvP than in PvE, though in T2 epics the problem also exists), 200ms make a substantial difference. If you face a rogue and they have sub-50ms and you have 200ms, you are at a huge disadvantage. Not sure why you personally attack him for stating this.
  • kisraenkisraen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The 200ms is noticeable, because a lot of the gameplay is focused around keypresses at specific times.
    The extra time it takes to register the button presses can mean the difference between life and death(successful heal, block, dodge, stun etcetera)
    As for the PvP, anyone who has played PvP in MMOs knows what a huge difference there is between 20 and 200ms.
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    He is right, though. In a combat system where you have very brief windows where you can react (and they are smaller in PvP than in PvE, though in T2 epics the problem also exists), 200ms make a substantial difference. If you face a rogue and they have sub-50ms and you have 200ms, you are at a huge disadvantage. Not sure why you personally attack him for stating this.

Oh please, stop hiding behind your cute avatar..... 200ms isn't that big of a deal in NW. But hey, it's easier to complain about latency all the time then to improve your own skill. If you need 50ms in your MMO, play something that doesn't use single server tech and stop complaining about stuff that's not going to change anyway.
    edited May 2013
    benthalack wrote: »

Stop talking out of your *** please. If you suck this bad at PvP, try to improve and stop making excuses. Obviously you have no idea how single server tech works. Don't like it? Then go play something else.
    edited May 2013
    Oh please, stop hiding behind your cute avatar..... 200ms isn't that big of a deal in NW. But hey, it's easier to complain about latency all the time then to improve your own skill. If you need 50ms in your MMO, play something that doesn't use single server tech and stop complaining about stuff that's not going to change anyway.

Watch out everyone. We have an internet bad*** here. He'll try to counter anything you say with words like "scrub" and "L2P".
  • jakula1jakula1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I get 150-200ms from Australia on 100/40 fibre.
  • okottekonekookottekoneko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i dont know why you guys are complaining, i am in australia and get a steady 400, and i have no issues with game play i dont even notice it, and i am a successful PvPer.

200 ping is .2 of a second delay, its not something you notice.

it really becomes and issue then it gets higher then 500 thats when it becomes and issue.

also dont expect much from cryptic so far with this game they havent put alot of effort in.
  • zplatinumzzplatinumz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I get 300-340 ms and I have no problems playing the game. EU players have it easy compared to us Aussies, we deal with this in every MMO.
This discussion has been closed.