What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hey Wizards, knock off the Repel spam

Comments

• Options
    cronis10000cronis10000 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Repel is a bad skill for parties. Die instead of hurting your team. You can get rezzed pretty easy. Freeze some bad boys and save the repels for rogues in pvp.
  • Options
    shadhhshadhh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a T2 Cleric i have to agree and disagree as well :)

Up to T2 Repel is indeed getting on everybodys nerves as you can just DPS down addgroups pretty easily but after that it's a totally different story.
    A well placed Repel will often save not only the cleric's but the whole group's life especially near certain cliffs and make the whole run way faster.
    On the other hand i could bite my keyboard everytime i see CW's just abusing the spell especially the ice-shard thingy after a well placed maelstrom or singularity.

Certain addgroups in T2 take longer then some of the T1 bossfights and it really is a pain aggrowise for clerics but plz guys use it with a little brain.
    If there's no cliffs around to throw them off you have Timesteal, Maelstrom, Singularity , Repel and Shield..why on earth do you need that Iceshard thing that spreads the mobs everywhere ?

And honestly the argument with the damage just makes me sad.

Coordiantion is key in this game, especially as the devs appearently thought it would be fun to add an enormous amount of adds to each fight instead of making boss mechanics more interesting.
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Repel is fine but it takes a plan to use it well, repel into corner with icy terrain and conduit going is a lot of trash lockdown. Scattering a field isn't CC it's a cluster fook. Sure, we have other abilities, "why didn't you use singularity? " The daily wasn't up. Why didn't you this or that? Cooldowns. Some powers synergize well, repel can too but it's not a power for morons.

Too many CW's use it for saving their butts instead of positioning or saving someone else.
  • Options
    keterysketerys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A skilled CW can do wonderful things with Repel. It's a good option, especially one cycled in and out as appropriate for the pull, for CWs who have groups who know how to use it.

Don't bring it to PUGs. Ever. You've got other options. Tab-Repel does great damage? How about tab-Chill Strike. Great damage, stuns an enemy, and doesn't screw up what the rest of the team is doing. Repel eats up a spell slot and power points, so you really do have other options. Honest.
  • Options
    vyssalarevyssalare Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any wiz who brings/uses ice storm in group is a jerk. Excusable for new players in their first couple dungeons but after that, hell no. Once you get singularity you should never use ice strike in dungeons. The huge KB + prone is a major pain.
  • Options
    keterysketerys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're thinking of Ice Storm - which is the huge spikes of ice from the floor that flings people everywhere. It hits hard, but is generally a terrible spell for groups. Again, there may be exceptions, but Singularity is so amazing in comparison that they're few and far between and only for the experts.

Which I bring up only because Chill Strike is a very party friendly spell, and don't want new wizards to get dissuaded from using. Especially since they have little choice in the matter for the first many levels.
  • Options
    psiwuffpsiwuff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also dropped repel from my rotation as soon as I can. Before that, I only used it to push away any mobs that say, ganged up on the healer and such, or were chasing dps. That way I can keep them off their backs and engage adds while tank holds aggro on the boss etc.

I think they should really fix that situation where you get spell mastery but run on 3 encounter powers for a few levels before you get repel. I'd rather get repel + alternative earlier on if that was possible.

edit:
    I also fully agree with ice storm. Could we maybe have it redone to be a knock up rather than knock away? That said, singularity has all my love. Great damage, and it stacks up all those mobs so you can hit them double hard with your encounters. All my love. All of it.
  • Options
    toekneeg1toekneeg1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sokkawt1 wrote: »
    Repel with Spell Mastery does an insane amount of aoe damage. That alone makes it completely worth using time and again in groups.

Asking wizards to not use Repel is just the reverse of asking melee classes to just chase down the mobs or to wait for them to reengage you. It takes a single second for a repelled mob to reach you again in melee, and that's assuming you're standing still.

Just sounds to me that you're too lazy. I can top the dps charts if I can use all of my wizard's aoe powers, but I find time and again groups complaining about knockbacks. It isn't just a knockback, especially if it's slotted with Spell Mastery. It becomes a very fast recasting, high damage aoe attack that's also very versatile as a controlling power.

You sir, are bad.
  • Options
    ashfordeashforde Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Repel with Spell Mastery does an insane amount of aoe damage. That alone makes it completely worth using time and again in groups.

Asking wizards to not use Repel is just the reverse of asking melee classes to just chase down the mobs or to wait for them to reengage you. It takes a single second for a repelled mob to reach you again in melee, and that's assuming you're standing still.

Just sounds to me that you're too lazy. I can top the dps charts if I can use all of my wizard's aoe powers, but I find time and again groups complaining about knockbacks. It isn't just a knockback, especially if it's slotted with Spell Mastery. It becomes a very fast recasting, high damage aoe attack that's also very versatile as a controlling power.

You're only topping the damage charts because you're actively working to lower the rest of your group's damage. You're making your dungeon runs slower and more chaotic, so you can feel like you have a huge epeen.

Congratulations.
  • Options
    fuzzycheffuzzychef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I ended up running a dungeon twice at the same level while leveling up my GWF. There may be other factors but the run with a CW spamming repel and ice storm my total damage was almost 50% lower at the end. Trying to use an AoE power was just an exercise in futility.
  • Options
    hardpeck1hardpeck1 Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    Repel and Ice Storm are bad no matter how you look at it once you hit 60.

Right now the best group makeup is 2 clerics and 3 DPS (Sorry guardian tanks, you are boned, your agro sucks compared to a clerics)

Stack in the blue circles, AoE everything, Win. Knockback is bad.

Repel and Ice Storm, while okay in PvP (I don't even use them there at 60) are more damage than good in PVE. First off, knocking a mob further away from the tank isn't going to make him magically get agro back on that mob, it's going to make it harder. That mob (more mobs) is going to come right back at the person it was on, or you.

If something is on you? You have multiple tools that are better than knockbacks. Teleport to the tank, dodging everything cast at you the whole way - bring the mob to the tank, make it easier for him to get it. Drink a health potion for gods sake. What else are you going to spend your gold on besides health pots and injury kits? Use one of your numerous stuns/holds and kill it.

As someone else mentioned also, you knocking the target back, while it might add to your damage, it lowers the damage of the group. And the combined damage of the other 2-3 DPS in the group is more than what you just did knocking them back.

And no, repel is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> damage compared to Sudden Storm (mine hits for 6k+ on every target + a spreading dot).

There is no reason to ever use knockbacks in PvE. Ever. This is coming from someone who is running T2 dungeons.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kidbs wrote: »
    makes it even harder to kill them quickly or use a real control ability like steal time.

I was in a run with another CW, and every time i started my cast of steal time, he either repelled or shield popped the mobs away. So many wasted times along with the dailies i wasted with him in the group. He also caused mobs to get stuck, fun. :P

There really needs to be striker caster, so those that want to do that can do that. :\
  • Options
    mistral94mistral94 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I use repel for 3 reasons:

1. tank isn't doing their job, either mobs on me or the cleric.
    2. push mobs into pits or off edges to instant kill them
    3. to give the tank mobs. if the mobs are scattered I will push them towards the tank or a wall closest to the tank if I feel they will be pushed passed them.
  • Options
    samuraikingssamuraikings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is no reason for some of you to be justifying repel. If it didn't take up a VALUABLE slot that another skill is better in, then I'd see the emergency "mobs on me" excuse being viable. As it stands, that slot is reserved for shield because it grants mitigation as well.

If Wizards actually used it to get mobs off of himself or the cleric ONLY, then I could see an argument, and we aren't saying that scenario is bad, but that scenario wouldn't happen if you stopped AoEing and let the Guardian taunt AoE.

I am a support/control Wizard. I use singularity to pull the mobs to the tank. I use Enfeeble to help the group kill the elites/bosses fast. I use sudden storm to AoE DMG the mobs and get AP. I stun the mob on the cleric or dps the boss with my Ice Spike, and I will pop my shield that 5% of the time when me or the cleric I am by is in danger, otherwise I am working on pulling the mobs IN towards the tank so can do his job.

I was in the Dread Vault with a Cleric, Guardian, GWF and another Wiz just before Maintenance. His Repel/Ice Storm/Shield spam build did a whopping 50k more than me at the end of it, and considering this was in the millions digits, it meant that in order to get that #1 dps slot, he destroyed everyone elses DPS, mine included. My sudden storm? He pushed them away, quite literally 40% of the time right when I charged it up to cast. The Tank couldn't get any threat, the Cleric died many times, and the GWF was doing at LEAST 30% less dps and was still only 200k under him in overall dps. This guy ignored our pleas and quite literally did this to top the chart and nothing more. Do not play wizard if you want to be #1, go roll a ****ing OP TR. They do amazing DMG. CW is for controlling and helping the team. When I pop singularity I pull all the mobs in so the whole team can AoE them and kill them in seconds, not killing the cleric and cutting everyone else's dps down.

The ****ing guy would also pop his **** Ice Storm when I pulled them in with Singularity, making them out of range and not take dmg from the suck-in. **** that guy and **** anyone who does the same thing. No one likes you.
    Foundry Name: "Wolframs Last Stand" (@Holythirst)
    Foundry Map: Blacklake District
    Type: Campaign, Story, Dungeon - 5 bosses, 1-2 players
    Current State: Version 2.2 is up. Full release. Try it with code below.

Short Code: NW-DU2BES2WA
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was in the Dread Vault with a Cleric, Guardian, GWF and another Wiz just before Maintenance.
    In a situation like this, you figure out who has team lead (the person with a crown in their portrait) and have them boot the disruptive party. If it's the disruptive party, convince everyone else to leave the team.
  • Options
    leheupleheup Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I use Repel alot in PvE and PvP, it needs to be utilised in completely different watys to be effective in each instance but either way it really is just a situational skill.

In PvE its great as a space finder/escape mechanism if youve messed up a rotation or need to nuke something fast.

In PvP however it is uesd to protect the people in the back (casters) should they gain agro from whatever mobs and also as a way of adding a slight amount of control to an already pinned target (against a wall and so on).

I must admit though, having the ability to literally repulse a group of mobs off a ledge into certain doon does hold a certain...."hunnnnnng" factor to it
  • Options
    aoxodusaoxodus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is no reason for some of you to be justifying repel. If it didn't take up a VALUABLE slot that another skill is better in, then I'd see the emergency "mobs on me" excuse being viable. As it stands, that slot is reserved for shield because it grants mitigation as well.

If Wizards actually used it to get mobs off of himself or the cleric ONLY, then I could see an argument, and we aren't saying that scenario is bad, but that scenario wouldn't happen if you stopped AoEing and let the Guardian taunt AoE.

I am a support/control Wizard. I use singularity to pull the mobs to the tank. I use Enfeeble to help the group kill the elites/bosses fast. I use sudden storm to AoE DMG the mobs and get AP. I stun the mob on the cleric or dps the boss with my Ice Spike, and I will pop my shield that 5% of the time when me or the cleric I am by is in danger, otherwise I am working on pulling the mobs IN towards the tank so can do his job.

I was in the Dread Vault with a Cleric, Guardian, GWF and another Wiz just before Maintenance. His Repel/Ice Storm/Shield spam build did a whopping 50k more than me at the end of it, and considering this was in the millions digits, it meant that in order to get that #1 dps slot, he destroyed everyone elses DPS, mine included. My sudden storm? He pushed them away, quite literally 40% of the time right when I charged it up to cast. The Tank couldn't get any threat, the Cleric died many times, and the GWF was doing at LEAST 30% less dps and was still only 200k under him in overall dps. This guy ignored our pleas and quite literally did this to top the chart and nothing more. Do not play wizard if you want to be #1, go roll a ****ing OP TR. They do amazing DMG. CW is for controlling and helping the team. When I pop singularity I pull all the mobs in so the whole team can AoE them and kill them in seconds, not killing the cleric and cutting everyone else's dps down.

The ****ing guy would also pop his **** Ice Storm when I pulled them in with Singularity, making them out of range and not take dmg from the suck-in. **** that guy and **** anyone who does the same thing. No one likes you.

This guy. Came here to post something along those lines. As a CW I see my #1 job in a group as assisting the other party members. I protect the cleric first, aid the tank second, help the dps third, and nuke the boss last.

Last night was my first time tanking (lvl 14 guardian, CT) and lo and behold I have a CW in the party who is popping repels like tic tacs. If you think for a second that any improvement in your dps is worth the frustration you are causing your tank or the rest of your party, then you do not belong in a cooperative game.
  • Options
    isaiahlee1972isaiahlee1972 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    Actually in PvP Repel is epic. Knocking people off and capturing the point is great.
  • Options
    radiodreadradiodread Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A thousand times this. Nevermind the fact that the other 2 dps classes can't do jack while you're pushing things around. In MOST scenarios, this ability should not even be on your bar, use other CC's.
  • Options
    nasuradinnasuradin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi.

Control Wizard is a Control class.
    If you only care about DPS, you are in the wrong class field. If you love DPS but hate melee, wait for ranger, its probably going to be an archer striker. If you like ranged DPS and hate non-magical DPS, wait for warlock.

Also, when CWs run in and ice storm things I singularity everything back.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nasuradin wrote: »
    Hi.

Control Wizard is a Control class.
    The thing is, Control in D&D 4th Edition (at least partially) means AoE dps. Despite what many claim/hope, this game uses the D&D 4th Edition terminology (and not the standard MMO terminology) when describing classes.
  • Options
    therealkyrielltherealkyriell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cannot claim expertise, as my highest level character is my cleric at 39 (and parked because I'm tired of being a tank in chainmail)

The ONLY party dynamic I've seen work flawlessly is: GF and TR on boss, GWF and CW on trash, DC focusing heals on GF/TR, with situational healing on the GWF/CW.

Still, until cleric threat is fixed and/or they remove the stupid, senseless "righteousness" debuff, my cleric is shelved.

I LOVE my frost/lightning mage. Repel is not even on my bar (though shield is). I will, however, use ice storm each and every time I get mobbed by a small army.
  • Options
    direwolfxdirewolfx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The thing is, Control in D&D 4th Edition (at least partially) means AoE dps. Despite what many claim/hope, this game uses the D&D 4th Edition terminology (and not the standard MMO terminology) when describing classes.

Control wizard is theoretically a wizard who focuses more on the CC aspects (Orb gives a penalty to saves in 4e) versus a war wizard who focuses on the AoE blasting (wand gives a bonus to pewpew), but since I doubt they're going to go make an alternate wizard anytime soon when they could add more variety like Ranger, Warlock, Bard, etc., I think being good at AoE DPS is important.

Although single target DPS can be pretty decent as well with the right abilities. Ray of Enfeeblement => Ice Knife is a lot of damage (I've seen Ice Knife crit for over 9k and I'm only level 50). Still, in a party I will always try to focus on AoE'ing the adds (and for that purpose, Arcane Singularity > Ice Storm; less damage, but it groups things up for Spell Mastery Chill Strike and Sudden Storm), while keeping Ray of Enfeeblement up on the boss so the TR can pump out even more damage.
  • Options
    maxthekoboldmaxthekobold Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Repel can often be used to knock off enemies into chasms for instant kills. Very handy ability. Also works wonders in pvp.
  • Options
    nasuradinnasuradin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While AoE DPS still counts as a form of soft control, because you are trying to keep the cleric alive in most cases, I still feel sad if I out-DPS a rogue* because I don't expect it to happen, since they are made purely for DPS, I may usually get highest kill count, but again that's because control specializes in controlling the hoards.

Then there are cases when the queue puts 3 wizards in a group as the DPS...

*at 60
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Only time I really used repel was levelling where I'd entangling force something then throw it across the room pretending I was a jedi.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nasuradin wrote: »
    control specializes in controlling the hoards.
    Hoard vs horde. ;):p

Anyway, you should not be sad when you out-dps a TR in a dungeon, it (hopefully) just means there were lots of large groups to AoE. TR is high single target dps with mediocre AoE ability, CW is high AoE dps with mediocre single target dps.
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad that I'm not the only CW who is sick and tired of having other CWs tab-Repel mobs in the middle of my Singularity, before they even get pulled in. Seriously, get a clue. Use Conduit of Ice or something. Or at least Repel them after Singularity pops so the mobs get pushed away as an entire group, or what's left of the mobs anyways.

Ever since I found Shield, it was love at first sight. It doubles as a mitigation spell and an oh-**** push back button. And to top it off, it pushes everything 360 degrees around you, making it even more useful for those adds-spawn-from-all-sides encounters. Also, if you stay close to the Cleric at all times, you can just Teleport his way and pop your Shield beside the Cleric. The damage isn't so bad either. Can usually take out at least half the health of those imps. I usually Teleport right under my Singularity and pop my Shield to finish off the mobs - using good judgement that your Shield pop will kill the mobs and not unnecessarily scatter them. Also refills about 50% AP if you're lucky.

Controller refers to the role that focuses on AoE dps and/or AoE CC. A Control Wizard is more CC oriented, while a War Wizard is more dps oriented. Both, however, are still Controllers.

With that said, Cryptic will have to seriously revamp Control Wizard in the future for when we get War Wizard (or some other dps oriented Controller), to really highlight our CC ability.
  • Options
    sean99999sean99999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Have you ever considered that you're at the top because you caused everyone else to lose dps from running around?
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Seriously.

Had a group with 2 CW's that were spamming this continuously. As your tank, I'd like you to know that a) chasing after mobs isn't as fun as it looks; b) wasting encounter powers on empty air as you knock away my targets make my day; and c) being guaranteed to be flanked makes me seriously question the value of taunting agro off your robe-wearing behinds.

That is all.

something to consider is that before level 20 they have only 4 encounter powers to choose from, and 4 encounter slots.

the 5th one at 20 is another knockback (shield)

the class doesnt get another non-knockback encounter until 30. repel also does good damage.