test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I would like feedback, please.

avaedanavaedan Member Posts: 37
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I created a foundry quest (First one ever and first time using anything like it), and was hoping that someone out there might try out my quest and give me feedback. If there is some part that feels unpassable, you can leave it and still leave the feedback on this thread.

I would really appreciate that. I want feedback so I can design foundry quests that are more appealing to the general player.

Here is the search code:

NW-DI68FUJKQ

Remember to leave feedback if you can! Thanks again~

(P.S.) If you want to trade quests for feedback, I'm fine with that also. Just leave your search code in the thread! Thanks!
Post edited by avaedan on

Comments

• avaedanavaedan Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    Would anyone please consider trying my quest? I wouldn't mind trying others as well in return and giving a fair critique.
  • runis12runis12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't published anything yet, but I will try your quest when servers are up. :) Thanks for making your quest, Avaedan.
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tell us more about your quest, is it a comedy, a horror, a slug fest, a grind, XP farming, lore?

Is this meant to be for solo players, or groups, hard encounters, stacked encounters, or lore intensive?

The more information you give us the more we can decide it is a quest we want to try. Someone recently posted screen shots as well. The first foundry quest is the hardest - i made mine 2 weeks ago... and I have been tweaking it daily... with advice on the forums, guild members, and from feedback from random players who played it.

There is another post... 1 sec....
  • forien69forien69 Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm gonna try it soon.

I will post my opinions ingame and here.

If you want, try my quest (check signature below) and post review ingame and in my thread if you want :)
    edited May 2013
    Thank you. And please remember to offer any feedback about it once you're done. If the encounters are too hard/easy at [your level], and other miscellaneous things.

Thanks again for trying it out! =)
    edited May 2013
    boydzinj wrote: »
    Tell us more about your quest, is it a comedy, a horror, a slug fest, a grind, XP farming, lore?

Is this meant to be for solo players, or groups, hard encounters, stacked encounters, or lore intensive?

The more information you give us the more we can decide it is a quest we want to try. Someone recently posted screen shots as well. The first foundry quest is the hardest - i made mine 2 weeks ago... and I have been tweaking it daily... with advice on the forums, guild members, and from feedback from random players who played it.

There is another post... 1 sec....

It's a simple story where you can explore a little bit. I didn't try anything massive yet as I want to make sure I am headed in the right direction before I start <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up multiple aspects of quests.

There's no lore to speak of, really.

As far as solo/group play, I soloed it with my cleric roughly around level 20. It took under 30 minutes to finish, but again that is with a cleric at a lower level. I'm not too familiar with how monsters scale, so thats partly the reason I would appreciate as much feedback as possible.

This is more or less a mechanical test with a fluff dialogue, if you want to wrap your head around it.
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is something I found that can be useful...
    bobcat1313 wrote: »
    Edit: I wanted to continue this so I copy/pasted. I removed a bunch of junk, and added more junk lol.

Tags if this is eventually added to the search tool in game, and is how I believe it to work it is a very nice system. I will use Little Big Planet or LBP for short a lot in this thread. One because it is a really nice system, and second it is probably the best video game I have ever played.

This is how the system works in LBP. You select what tags(labels) you want, and hit search. For example: I want Story, Combat, Easy, Crypt. The search engine will find those tags(labels) and give you all the quest with those tags. LBP has a different search engine, so don't hold my quotes above to be true if you decide to check LBP out. They use a filter system, and a Que type search system, and once you figure it out you can find the perfect mission.

Edit: I don't know if a system like above can be created in Neverwinter it is more of a wish. With current search system hash tags could work. I think I have a grasp on them... *old dwarf scratches his head* below is some example I have come up with.

Main

Experience

Type

#Story, #Combat, #Puzzle, #Humor, #Explore, #Balanced, #Tavern

#Easy, #Hard, #Guild, #RP, #Group, #Lore, #Arena, #Jumps, #Traps, #Short, #Long, #Horror, #Musical, #Artistic, #Challenge

#Dungeon, #Forest, #Mountain, #Crypt, #Cave, #Sewer, #Lair, #Outside, #City

Quest I: The Mark of BtG

Quest Description:
    The belly of Neverwinter is turning. A mysterious cult, or band of bandits have entered Neverwinter. Last seen entering the sewers and leaving BtG as their mark. Will the stench turn you away, or do you have a nose for adventure. Dive head first in the sewers of Neverwinter.

* BtG is a small bit of lore from The Neverwinter Saga: Book II Neverwinter the books leading up to NWO.

Length:
    25 to 45 min

Level:
    1-60

Combat:
    Solo, hidden encounters, and end maybe difficult.

Tags:
    #Story, #Combat, #Lore

Dialog:
    Orange text will skip the story.

Edit: Above is an example of a Thread post/Description in game.
    This is just an example the focus is on the green text. Remember this is all a suggestion, a work in progress and it may never come into play.

Here is an example of what your Campaign would look like on the The Foundry List: UGC and Authors.

Example:
    A Neverwinter Campaign
    Author: Bobcat1313
    Campaign
    Q1: The Mark of BtG
    Q2: The Goblin Brew
    T: Combat, Lore

Edit: This would show 3 tags. Story since the campaign is listed on the Story Page, and Combat, lore as a sub tag.

I know this is a lot and probably confusing. I for one am confused all the time, I hope I explained this good enough.

The main focus for this thread is to come up with Hash Tags.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?140651-Tags-Hash-Tags&highlight=hash

As for encounters, I am at work and can not play... but... from experience...

Enemy encounters scale to the level of the player... however, their difficulty does not scale linear. For example, the "Hard" Mind Flayer encounter is really easy at under level 30. Shoot, they are almost EASY on level 10 and below. However, at about level 30 this same "HARD" encounter starts becoming tough. VERY TOUGH. Some of their attacks can hit me for a quarter of my HP in 1 hit and they start to CC you and chain locking you down. Meaning, if you put two of the "HARD" Mind Flayer encounters stacked... at level 1 thru 10, you can kill them. However, at level 30+ some classes can not defeat a single mob... because they will stun lock you while they kill you and you can not do anything about it. You could burn thru pots as soon as the refresh timer appears on two "HARD" Mind Flayer encounters at level 60. Yet, at level 1, you can close your eye and defeat them....

It is very tough to balance mobs sometimes I think THAT is the hardest thing about the encounters. What is happening, some mobs - like players, gain access to more powerful spells, abilities, and attacks.... the higher the level of the mobs. So SOME low level mobs do not have access to all their spells, attacks, and abilities. As a result, you need to find that good balance... or warn people that this is a tough map ... meant for multiple people.

One OTHER suggestion is this: Do not be scared to make it tough and hard. However, it is possible to despawn - make mobs disappear if a specific dialogue is said. I have a bear, in my camp, that will say a unique statement (no other NPC has that statement) that will despawn about a third of the encounters (that I picked). You never have to talk to the bear, but you can speak to the bear at any point after the intro. Lastly, part of my into explains about the bear and after the intro dialogue is completed the bear will appear and spawn (the first quest in my foundry is a dialogue to the into NPC and it explains about the difficulty and the bear). THAT way, if a player feels the map is too tough - because I do have stacks of mobs in certain areas... they do not have to deal with them. Likewise, I also use hooks... ways to make an encounter tougher than normal. Sometimes I will put a few traps near melee mobs... so if a player rushes in... they can get hit by some traps and lose HP. I also use patrols that will go long distance and if the player does it incorrectly they will aggro both the original encounter and a patrol (or two). However, you need to test it out - to make sure the patrols give the players enough time to kill the encounter before they become an issue... patrols walk really fast and no way to tweak them ATM.

I will look at it. The Foundry can be wonderful - but you just have to becareful. Remember, have a goal in mind - and its okay to not be mainstream. If you want it to be a group content and tough... stack them mobs - but let players know... upfront. :)
    edited May 2013
    The despawn NPC sounds pretty awesome. I never thought of that. Thanks for the input!
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the extra info, avaedan. You will get a fair review from me. :)
    Thanks for the tips,, boydzing.
    edited May 2013
    Based on the information, its probably best to try it out with a small group (Maybe 2-3 people) at higher levels. I know I put some "hard" monsters in there, but I mostly did it as "bosses".

The rest are standard or easy, I believe. But to be safe, bring a friend!
  • incendiarywaveincendiarywave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will give yours a try when the servers are up and give you feedback both here and in the review. Would appreciate if you could give my quest some feedback too, it's in my signature :)
    The Storm Family Tale: Of Kobolds and a Woman
    NW-DGXUGRSN6
    edited May 2013
    I will give yours a try when the servers are up and give you feedback both here and in the review. Would appreciate if you could give my quest some feedback too, it's in my signature :)

Will do =) Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    edited May 2013
    Servers are back up, so I'm going to start playing everyone's Foundry Maps. Hope to hear reviews/feedback from you all real soon!
    edited May 2013
    Hi! I've just finished your quest :)

I really enjoyed story, final outcome was really funny! Battles were okay for me.

There is a short list of things I'd change this or other time:
    1) You can drag and move quest position on world map :)
    2) If you have "Find" objective and you want it to be harder, turn off way-points/points ;)
    3) Try creating custom maps (indoors) for more originality.
    4) You can change these "Go to Next Map" interactions in Story tab when editing transitions.

Gave 5 stars for nice and funny story, side dialogs and a little of exploration :) If this was your first - it's great.

Please try my quests (link in signature) if you have time.
    edited May 2013
    forien69 wrote: »
    Hi! I've just finished your quest :)

I really enjoyed story, final outcome was really funny! Battles were okay for me.

There is a short list of things I'd change this or other time:
    1) You can drag and move quest position on world map :)
    2) If you have "Find" objective and you want it to be harder, turn off way-points/points ;)
    3) Try creating custom maps (indoors) for more originality.
    4) You can change these "Go to Next Map" interactions in Story tab when editing transitions.

Gave 5 stars for nice and funny story, side dialogs and a little of exploration :) If this was your first - it's great.

Please try my quests (link in signature) if you have time.

Hey! Thanks for reviewing my foundry quest for me!

I have a question or two for you though (If you happen to wander into this thread again). Firstly, what level were you when you did the foundry quest? I just want to get a general idea of the levels involved and how the combat encounters were for them.

Secondly, what did you mean by point number 1?

Also, I did try your first linked quest (Khelgar's Treasure Cave), but I ended up killing the first 3 orc guardian groups and nothing happened (no key dropped). I may try it again, I just wanted to point that out to you.

Instead though, I think I'll try your second quest.

Thanks again for the review!
  • incendiarywaveincendiarywave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really enjoyed your quest. There were a few minor thing I would change:
    - Your dream shards are still named "Magic crystal 01."
    - The last "boss" was really weak, if you make it from an ogre encounter or something and change it's costume to be that one you had, i think that would be better.
    - One potentially less minor thing, I thought the last area was quite weak compared to the other two. It felt too big for what was happening in it, and there was not so much detail as a result. I did like how it changed when you picked up the shard though.
    However, I loved the story, there was great variety in gameplay and visuals, the custom named enemies were a nice touch, the kobold with the ship was hilarious, and I really enjoyed playing it. Gave you 5 stars :)

Also I am level 46 and I thought the difficulty of the quest overall was balanced well, apart from the last boss.
    The Storm Family Tale: Of Kobolds and a Woman
    NW-DGXUGRSN6
    edited May 2013
    avaedan wrote: »
    Hey! Thanks for reviewing my foundry quest for me!

I have a question or two for you though (If you happen to wander into this thread again). Firstly, what level were you when you did the foundry quest? I just want to get a general idea of the levels involved and how the combat encounters were for them.

Secondly, what did you mean by point number 1?

I have 3 characters all 10-25 and played with 25 trix. So I can say -> it's clearable for players under 30 level. Above that - I can't tell.
    #1 is about when you travel using city gates (or any world-map-traveling-gate-in-the-world) and you see world map with these circles as locations. In foundry, Story Tab, you have maps. On the left you set thing lice circle's icon. You can drag it around world map where you want it to be (not sure If you understand my babbling xD)

Also, I did try your first linked quest (Khelgar's Treasure Cave), but I ended up killing the first 3 orc guardian groups and nothing happened (no key dropped). I may try it again, I just wanted to point that out to you.

Instead though, I think I'll try your second quest.

Thanks again for the review!
    Encounters cannot drop items. I have to fix it, yes, but in place of one of orcish groups there is box that spawn after killing all three groups. Look for it. I just forgot someone can change order of clearing creeps xD
    edited May 2013
    I really enjoyed your quest. There were a few minor thing I would change:
    - Your dream shards are still named "Magic crystal 01."
    - The last "boss" was really weak, if you make it from an ogre encounter or something and change it's costume to be that one you had, i think that would be better.
    - One potentially less minor thing, I thought the last area was quite weak compared to the other two. It felt too big for what was happening in it, and there was not so much detail as a result. I did like how it changed when you picked up the shard though.
    However, I loved the story, there was great variety in gameplay and visuals, the custom named enemies were a nice touch, the kobold with the ship was hilarious, and I really enjoyed playing it. Gave you 5 stars :)

Also I am level 46 and I thought the difficulty of the quest overall was balanced well, apart from the last boss.

Thank you! I thought about making the last boss harder, honestly. I just didn't want to overwhelm the dungeon with hard encounters if the fights were already too difficult. I'll definitely work on changing the small things (Map transitions, object names, etc). I planned to add some fire elementals to the last area (Returning to Valetheria) and also make the last boss harder. I understand you 100%.

Thanks again for your thorough review! Also I reviewed your map as well. It was fun. Well done! =)
    edited May 2013
    Hello Avaedan,

I played your quest and took a few notes while going through it. Here's what I have along with some other information I hope will help you.

-LV 19 Cleric
    -Deaths: 0
    -Potions used: 2
    -Solo
    -Skipped all monsters in Part 2/Part 3 except for bosses.
    -Clear time: 24 min
    -Interesting premise, love the story
    -Was at first confused by the interactable door that was too small for the doorway, but it is a dream yes?
    -Flying imp monsters got stuck on the side of a door way
    -Encounters were very easy
    -Need more monsters
    -Lots of space
    -The snowy canyon monsters can all be skipped except for the ghost and the spider on the frozen lake. Was able to achieve this via running along the right mountain ridge
    -The 3rd shard area monsters can all pretty much be skipped with going through the water or zig zagging around the undead on the ground.
    -Lots of walking back and forth to Valetheria
    -Tenrelgeth and his/her chicken dance is the bestest
    -Kudos on custom-made models
    -Last boss was easy. His buddies did not engage in battle with him.
    -Amusing ending.
    -Was a little puzzled about the respawn point campfire placement in the 3rd section.
    -Good, punctuated dialogue.
    -Minor: floating crates and random objects along lake. Don't know if this is intentional because it is a dream world.
    -Invisible walls needed sorely. :)

Thanks for the quest Valetheria. I'd love to review it again after any changes you make. I'd love to play anything else you create. :)
    Good job :)
    edited May 2013
    runis12 wrote: »
    Hello Avaedan,

I played your quest and took a few notes while going through it. Here's what I have along with some other information I hope will help you.

-LV 19 Cleric
    -Deaths: 0
    -Potions used: 2
    -Solo
    -Skipped all monsters in Part 2/Part 3 except for bosses.
    -Clear time: 24 min
    -Interesting premise, love the story
    -Was at first confused by the interactable door that was too small for the doorway, but it is a dream yes?
    -Flying imp monsters got stuck on the side of a door way
    -Encounters were very easy
    -Need more monsters
    -Lots of space
    -The snowy canyon monsters can all be skipped except for the ghost and the spider on the frozen lake. Was able to achieve this via running along the right mountain ridge
    -The 3rd shard area monsters can all pretty much be skipped with going through the water or zig zagging around the undead on the ground.
    -Lots of walking back and forth to Valetheria
    -Tenrelgeth and his/her chicken dance is the bestest
    -Kudos on custom-made models
    -Last boss was easy. His buddies did not engage in battle with him.
    -Amusing ending.
    -Was a little puzzled about the respawn point campfire placement in the 3rd section.
    -Good, punctuated dialogue.
    -Minor: floating crates and random objects along lake. Don't know if this is intentional because it is a dream world.
    -Invisible walls needed sorely. :)

Thanks for the quest Valetheria. I'd love to review it again after any changes you make. I'd love to play anything else you create. :)
    Good job :)

Thank you! And yes, the floating objects are intentional (You should notice the map layout changes after you get the third shard). The dreamscape is collapsing (basically being drained of anything tying the realm to reality).

Your review helped me a lot. I understand parts can be skipped, but its at the pace of the player, I suppose. Some want to RP it, others want to rush it. Someone in my guild right now is actually farming it. Lol.

I plan to add more encounters for the third map, as well as adjust the spawn of the "minions". I did want 1 to not engage just in case someone was soloing at a high level. (Monsters scale ridiculously harder, apparently. Thanks again!
    edited May 2013
    I entirely enjoyed the story. I guess I'm just a little perfectionist when it comes to mobs able to be skipped (I hate it when content can be skipped!) and finding technical holes here and there. :) Hope I helped some.
    edited May 2013
    I entirely enjoyed the story. I guess I'm just a little perfectionist when it comes to mobs able to be skipped (I hate it when content can be skipped!) and finding technical holes here and there. :) Hope I helped some.

Good luck skipping mobs in my quests xD there are only groups to be skipped in second quest, but only if you don't like to explore xD
    edited May 2013

You definitely did help, and I am changing parts of the third dream as we speak(well, technically type...). Anyways, I don't see the monsters as "skippable" mobs, because the areas I create are done with a slight depth (I like the NPCs to have some real sense of dialogue that fits the environment.). That depth can be explored, then move forward to the next map.

It can be skipped, yes, but only if you know that it can be skipped (You honestly don't know whats going to happen next walking into a player made quest). Which means you've played it once before...thats ok by my standards. The running time more than makes up for that.

All in all, this was just a test run. As I discovered cool new things, I just wanted to impliment them into a quest. I acually started with the third map, then made the first, then the second.

You probably didn't know there were hidden areas of the second map (Behind the ship and behind the broken wall) that you can get a feel that the area I created is an actual "world". I may even expand those areas simply for exploration purposes.

As for the invisible walls... I didn't really want to keep a player from exploring or finding shortcuts and routes. Whats the point of having an open map if you simply limit what the player can do in it?
    edited May 2013
    Good luck skipping mobs in my quests xD there are only groups to be skipped in second quest, but only if you don't like to explore xD

I'd like to play yours and review some more forien69, but I'm in need of a little nap. xD Just did like 10 Foundry quests, 6 of which were very...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    edited May 2013
    Would anyone else on the forum be interested in trading reviews?
    edited May 2013
    Would anyone else on the forum be interested in trading reviews?
    I'm still waiting for yours :P
  • eulerdmoogleeulerdmoogle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure, I'll trade reviews with you.

A small dwarvish grudge: NW-DUI8A8I7R
    Author name: @cphonx
    Solo
    about 20 min.
    Story and combat. Some humor.

I'll post my review in game shortly.
    Try my missions:
    A Small Dwarvish Grudge: NW-DUI8A8I7R
    The Brink of Disaster: NW-DFDJKW9QF (Still in beta)

thorlief_banner_1.png
    edited May 2013
    I'm still waiting for yours :P

Oh right! Nearly forgot. I'm going to review Kheldar's Hideout. Sorry about that.
    edited May 2013
    -forien69-

I ended up reviewing your first quest instead. Apparently I couldn't even do the second quest without having done the first.

It was decent, but there were a few misspelled words and the lockbox with the key could be in a bigger container (for convenience's sake).

Also, the "elite" Orc wasn't attacking for some reason. I'm not sure if it was just the game or something you had changed on the encounter settings, but I figured it wouldn't hurt for you to look into it.

Hope that helps some. =)
    edited May 2013
    -forien69-

I ended up reviewing your first quest instead. Apparently I couldn't even do the second quest without having done the first.

It was decent, but there were a few misspelled words and the lockbox with the key could be in a bigger container (for convenience's sake).

Also, the "elite" Orc wasn't attacking for some reason. I'm not sure if it was just the game or something you had changed on the encounter settings, but I figured it wouldn't hurt for you to look into it.

Hope that helps some. =)

About box - there is no item-scaling :( I think I will make it appear right after killing that group, not after objective complete

About orc not attacking - I will check. I tested for my rogue and every mob attacked. Maybe some pathfinding problems, I will place them different, maybe will help :)

Why couldn't you do second quest? :P It should let you