What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interesting Quote

Comments

• ascher11tascher11t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    Could you explain how?

More people, more complex issues, usually more bugs to fix/features to add. While they're similar, they're different too.
  • engelier7engelier7 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Another interesting fact (just at the top of the forum for 'new' users): "Please note that, for a short period of time after account creation, posting new threads is disabled. After this probationary period, you'll be able to create threads as normal. "

So we are on probation (after having spend days in the game and some money in the store)? Right...

Does anyone know how long this probation period is? it's already about two weeks for me....
  • luc2kluc2k Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game is in beta by the state of things and the real money situation is a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> move that is gaining traction because people are stupid. Same reason we now have DLC instead of expansions in normal games.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, this is just what happens when people are bored, sleep deprived and the servers are down.

No I'm just waiting while a computer runs self tests.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    airsyko wrote: »
    And yet, almost every single game that has ever had an "open beta" has done the exact same thing.

Completely false. Very few "open betas" historicaally have not had char wipes, cash shop open, etc. This is a relatively new marketing approach especially with US/Europe focused games.
  • umbagloumbaglo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right, because QA testers are just free to roam around in a game and do as they please. No, they get tasks they repeat over and over until something breaks. Then the devs fix it.

And that's why so many games are buggy. Defined tasks with a limited number of players has NOTHING on letting everyone do all the random things they would do. Defined tasks lets you make sure that big, common things work as advertised, but you'll never know how all the random builds and gear loadouts will handle against a given encounter. Defined tasks will never tell you if having multiple players trigger a race condition on a door will break the dungeon (happened to me!). Defined tasks will never tell you if arbitrary ability combinations cause encounters to break. Defined tasks will never tell you if the various movement modes can get you into areas you're not supposed to be in (at all or yet).

QA departments are understaffed and overtasked, and can't ever possibly get into anywhere near as much trouble as real players.

This is besides that sometimes there are QA testers that free roam, but they're still only a handful of people compared to potentially millions. And also besides that beta testers are QA testers.
  • shootnlootshootnloot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    Soooo, I'll just be leaving this here:

(Non-Korean) games with open beta period in which you can spend money without a wipe after--

1). Path of Exile: I have purchased numerous cosmetics in this game because they run their cash shop in an exemplary fashion. Te game is still (or at least as of 1 month ago when I was playing more heavily) in open beta. If you have anything not-nice to say about GGG for doing this, then shame on you. They have the best f2p model I've ever seen.

2). Smite: third person MOBA f2p game. Once again, it may be out of beta now but you could purchase new champions and skins while it was in beta.

3) Don't Starve: This is a 1-time-purchase game without a cash shop, but I was still free to purchase the game beforehand and play in a beta that was not wiped. This one is actually giving PoE a run for its money as my favorite game of the year. If you like survival and sandboxes, I cannot encourage you enough to cough up the 12-15$ for this indie game.

Those are the ones I can think of offhand that have had a similar system under a western developer within the past year.

I'm not saying I have no gripes with NW (I do), but this is not one of mine personally.
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be fair, the derailing wouldn't have happened if no one had responded to me.

That's the kind of logical thinking that leads to arguments such as: "To be fair, the shooting wouldn't have happened if there had been no bullets in the gun." and "Well I wouldn't have ran her over if she hadn't been on the sidewalk!" :p
  • gralgrathorgralgrathor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    umbaglo wrote: »
    And that's why so many games are buggy. Defined tasks with a limited number of players has NOTHING on letting everyone do all the random things they would do. Defined tasks lets you make sure that big, common things work as advertised, but you'll never know how all the random builds and gear loadouts will handle against a given encounter. Defined tasks will never tell you if having multiple players trigger a race condition on a door will break the dungeon (happened to me!). Defined tasks will never tell you if arbitrary ability combinations cause encounters to break. Defined tasks will never tell you if the various movement modes can get you into areas you're not supposed to be in (at all or yet).

QA departments are understaffed and overtasked, and can't ever possibly get into anywhere near as much trouble as real players.

This is besides that sometimes there are QA testers that free roam, but they're still only a handful of people compared to potentially millions. And also besides that beta testers are QA testers.

Okay? What's your point? I didn't say give defined tasks to a limited number of players, did I? I said focus as many players as possible on one aspect of the game. Right now, only a fraction of the playerbase is doing end-game content. Get the entire playerbase into end-game and let them do their thing and you'll find a lot more bugs in a lot of dungeons and areas a lot faster. Your dungeon breaking bug would've been found out so fast it's not even funny.

Do you really think my post was advocating asking a few thousand people to hop in place in a small 3m
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shootnloot wrote: »
    Soooo, I'll just be leaving this here:

(Non-Korean) games with open beta period in which you can spend money without a wipe after--

***snip a bunch of games that did open beta with cash shops before launch***

ssssshhhhh! You'll confuse them with actual facts that they don't want to bother with. ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oni44oni44 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From the managing editor at MMORPG.com:

Seems not even the press is buying the Open Beta thing.

I give my 12 year old a bigger allowance in a week than the managing editor at mmorpg.com makes in a week.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what he has to say.
  • neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If there isn't a wipe and/or they refund spent zen, you have nothing to cry about. I'll just assume from the amount of tears you have that this is aimed directly at the cash shop? It clearly stated open beta before you even laid your hands on it, if it is buggy, it is beta. If you don't like that, don't play.
  • treemanifestotreemanifesto Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have never heard of these games....there is probably a correlation between that and why they did what they did.

Or you have your head under a rock.

Tribes
    Mechwarrior Online
    Planetside 2
    WarZ (how not to do it)

The list goes on, but why bother....if you haven't heard of it, must be invalid right?

Maybe you still live in the world where software was purchased by check or money order in the mail, and patch releases happened, well...never...and if they did, were distributed via gaming magazines, or mailed to customers.

In those days, many game developers weren't restricted by crazed publisher deadlines, AAA standards, etc. and could release a functional, polished game to the public.

Nowadays, publishers expect something for their money from developers, and if features have to be cut to meet a deadline, or additional income sources have to be found, well that is the price for the game existing. It is a business, and you as the consumer get to decide whether you support them or not. But hey, they also provide a free service!!

You'd think they were standing in your living room with a gun to your head demanding credit card details, stop hallucinating!
  • spacecowboy3117spacecowboy3117 Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    umbaglo wrote: »
    "Production" is the wrong term to use; any game is in production up until the point that there is no one working on it anymore. Even if they weren't taking money, the game would still be in production.

The fact that there's "controversy" about the term Open Beta means that people just plain don't understand what the term means.

As per Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

It's undeniable that the game is still in a testing phase, even if they're taking money for services. And it's opened up to everyone, with no NDA. While people may not think the result is any different then some other official releases, it's still an open beta by definition.

.... That's like launching paying customers into space on a rocket that blows up .... and saying oh well it was only a test
  • dragon47dragon47 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Defiance forums: "I didn't pay retail for a beta!"

Neverwinter forums: "This isn't a beta! I paid money!"

STOP CONFUSING ME!!!
  • noosednoosed Member Posts: 247 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You are very negative today. What happened to you?

This is the same loser troll from yesterday. She's unhappy she can't afford a pretty horse.
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    noosed wrote: »
    This is the same loser troll from yesterday. She's unhappy she can't afford a pretty horse.

noosed and shahualing have been arguing for a while now. Pretty sure it started when noosed made an analogy about buying stuff for your girlfriend and buying stuff in Neverwinter.

Most women think it's misogynistic when guys talk about buying love; funny thing is I've never met a woman who refused flowers, jewelry, dinner dates, etc....
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it's called open beta because they game isn't finished completely... Maybe they should call it: Neverwinter - Almost Done.
  • noosednoosed Member Posts: 247 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    holt3 wrote: »
    I think it's called open beta because they game isn't finished completely... Maybe they should call it: Neverwinter - Almost Done.

R u tired, drunk, or high? This is bad, real bad.
  • lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That makes absolutely no sense.

If it's not Open Beta, shouldn't there be a reasonable lack of bugs and other problems?

It's an MMO. There will always be bugs and other problems, because MMOs never stop evolving. If they do stop evolving, they shut down.
    L'sya Raiya