test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

gwf

rubberduckie3rubberduckie3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 62
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
so i have gotten every class to around 35-40 so far but im having a lot of trouble with the GWF im lvl 35 and it seems to be going so much slower then the other classes,im potting like crazy and not hitting very hard (seems very weak)

then i took it into pvp and i felt like a joke people complaining bcuz they had a GWF on there team ,it felt like i was hitting like a little girl ,then seeing my bar loos over half the hp from one hit from someone ,everyone can hit you bcuz you dont have a dodge

so does this class get any better in higher levels both pve and pvp ?

do they have any plans to balance the classes better ?

i know we are still in beta (soft launch) but just wanted to say how i thought GWF was maybe i just got unlucky with armor/weapon drops idk but would love to hear from some high level GWF both pve and pvp
Post edited by rubberduckie3 on

Comments

• Options
    grayhograyho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It does get better later on, my brother plays GWF and he does quite a lot of AOE damage - but still rouges do too much damage for him to fully compete - usually he is second on the damage meter at the end of a dungeon.

If you enjoy the idea of the GWF, I'd say stick with it and just ignore other classes, focus on having fun and (hate to sound like a mother or something) but do your best xD

If you really want to min/max or be a 'necessary class' in either PvE or PvP, become a rouge, cleric, or control wiz!
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The healing companions are almost a requirement to cut back some on the potion guzzling.
  • Options
    vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unless you are specced Sentinel. You can solo a Sentinel with no companion and rarely use a pot (get jumped by a ****on of adds or a really hard boss encounter).
  • Options
    bluestone007bluestone007 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unless you are specced Sentinel. You can solo a Sentinel with no companion and rarely use a pot (get jumped by a ****on of adds or a really hard boss encounter).

Sentinel is the worst Possible spec for the GWF I know I levelled one to 60, The 20% better defense means little at lv 50 as you can already get +15% defense and AC in the first 20 levels and the +50% healing buff on the worlds crappiest healing move means nothing. You still wont even use healing strike at lv 60 even as a sentinel.

If anything I think I potted more when I was sentinel then when I went pure DPS, not by much though. But a tleast fights where a little faster when your DPS. It's really about your gear more than your spec, for GWF.
  • Options
    rubberduckie3rubberduckie3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    well hopefully for me it changes at high level as of now i get out DPS'd by TR and CW almost every time(maybe bad gear idk) and for my build i went full DPS so i can understand potting a lot (not as much as i am ) but ill stick with it get it to 60 and see how it is :P
  • Options
    shiroiojikashiroiojika Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    End-game is GWF dependant if you ask me. You can go read all the 'too many/hard adds' threads about the T2s. A psuedotank AoE is exactly what they are failing to bring.
    Druid.jpg
  • Options
    terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sentinel is the worst Possible spec for the GWF I know I levelled one to 60, The 20% better defense means little at lv 50 as you can already get +15% defense and AC in the first 20 levels and the +50% healing buff on the worlds crappiest healing move means nothing. You still wont even use healing strike at lv 60 even as a sentinel.

If anything I think I potted more when I was sentinel then when I went pure DPS, not by much though. But a tleast fights where a little faster when your DPS. It's really about your gear more than your spec, for GWF.

I get between 3.7k to 4.5k healing back from restoring strike crits (which is every second one) on level 60. With 4 piece pvp set I can solo foundry missions with no companions using NO pots.

edit: that's 4.5k on marked targets solo, in group where enemies can get debuffed a lot and I've combat advantage, I can crit with restoring strike for 10k which results in 6k healing, which is almost a free potion.
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well hopefully for me it changes at high level as of now i get out DPS'd by TR and CW almost every time(maybe bad gear idk) and for my build i went full DPS so i can understand potting a lot (not as much as i am ) but ill stick with it get it to 60 and see how it is :P

If you are trying to compete against single targets against a TR, it is gonna be very hard. The class does better damage against adds/groups of mobs then against single targets. It also helps when the CW uses their vacuum-type ability to put all the mobs in one place for you.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    morbic wrote: »
    If you are trying to compete against single targets against a TR, it is gonna be very hard. The class does better damage against adds/groups of mobs then against single targets. It also helps when the CW uses their vacuum-type ability to put all the mobs in one place for you.

im not competeing to single traget i know that it is a AoE class so obviously the more mobs the more damage but when i get out dps its in skirmishes or dungeons i went full DPS for guild runs the last one i got out dps by a CW by over 300K
  • Options
    terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    im not competeing to single traget i know that it is a AoE class so obviously the more mobs the more damage but when i get out dps its in skirmishes or dungeons i went full DPS for guild runs the last one i got out dps by a CW by over 300K

If you go with the usual action-point slam destroyer build, your dps will be so awesome the sheer radiation of the awesomeness will melt faces of your CW guildies.
  • Options
    silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited May 2013
    End-game is GWF dependant if you ask me. You can go read all the 'too many/hard adds' threads about the T2s. A psuedotank AoE is exactly what they are failing to bring.

This is simply not true. As a 10000+ GS GWF, I can tell you that although GWf are nice in groups in epic dungeons, most groups now look for and prefer TR / CW over GWF. Many groups will bring 2 DC, and will fill last 3 spots with CW / TR. More damage and more control, GWF is now the odd man. The damage they bring isn't worth it, and the buffs / damage / and utility TR and CW bring far outshines the class.
  • Options
    silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited May 2013
    terhix wrote: »
    If you go with the usual action-point slam destroyer build, your dps will be so awesome the sheer radiation of the awesomeness will melt faces of your CW guildies.

You need to expand your player experience, most good CWs will far out dps a GWF, and will far short of TRs
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cant speak for 60 but almost every run the CW and TR are out DPSing me by a lot which is really dissapointing when GWF is supposed to be a striker class
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    also side note i have noticed when leveling and putting my feats in the things like "Armor Specialization -Increases the effectiveness of Armor Class and Defense by 5/10/15%." do nothing to any of my stats there is also another but ill have to wait till in game to look anyone can help me with this ?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    silknight wrote: »
    You need to expand your player experience, most good CWs will far out dps a GWF, and will far short of TRs

I'm not there yet with the top and I keep playing as Sentinel. My limited experience playing Destroyer is being #1 in dps on every possible run I made, which is obviously not a proof of anything.
  • Options
    njorunnnjorunn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have to say I also tried all classes up to 20 so far - and this particular one is the weakest. It's actually the only class I died once with, and my pots are ending all the time! (before cleric companion, which is a must it seems, as someone already mentioned in this thread)
    The AoE damage is fine - but the single target damage is awful! Having issues killing those bosses and elites :(
  • Options
    h3rflikh3rflik Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    I like the sentinel tree the most ,it actualy give lot of DPS even comparing to destroyer tree. The only thing I would like to know is the exact boost of the last feat for destroyer, how much determination it actualy give comparing to not having it.

Anyway sentinel tree got one of best DPS traits, with is joke in some way.
    On single target at-will you got +5% crit rate, good for bosses if they are between spawning adds. You got +15% damage on market targets, really good if you dont take the aggro, specialy when healers get the most. And the strongest debuff from all feats, -45% defense of enemy, it make whole party hit much more, and keeping it up at 3 stacks all time is piece of cake.
    To that with rest of points you can take from destroyer tree +10% dmg to at-wills if you want and max one more feat of your choice. So its bit untrue that sentinel is full defense, it got loads of offensive capabilities. Looking only at the major feat (the last one) is mistake, they are as strong as any other feat maxed, and you need to calculate the best combo of feats to work well.

Anyway with current build (53 level now) where I did a bit of mistakes putting points in (will reset for sure to fix that on 60 level and when 2nd paragon choice appears), i am ranking 2nd or 3rd place in damage done in skirmishes and dungeons (and it goes like that since 40+ level). Plus like I wrote, the game doesnt count the marks and -45% defense debuffs that you put on mobs and that boost your party damage. What do I mean by that?
    Well you see in dungeon end stats that for example 5m, 4m ,4m ,3m and 3m damage is done by your party. You are the 4m damage, yet ~500k damage from each of your party members is thanks to your debuffs. So you end up with much greater score in reality, but the game dont count that in display stats.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    h3rflik wrote: »
    I like the sentinel tree the most ,it actualy give lot of DPS even comparing to destroyer tree. The only thing I would like to know is the exact boost of the last feat for destroyer, how much determination it actualy give comparing to not having it.

It's not much, really, about 1% per hit.
  • Options
    dampfplaudererdampfplauderer Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually no, the sentinel tree doesn't give a lot of dps.
    The dealbreaker is +25% power while slam is active, which you will use 99,99% of the time.

And you can get those -45% defense without any problem after grabbing everything worthwhile from the destroyer tree.

Starting from arround lvl 43-45 you should be the #1 in dps in dungeons by quite a margin, the key is positioning. And partymembers that don't spam bloody AoE knockbacks on cooldown.
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not much, really, about 1% per hit.

My buddy plays a "determination" GWF. He runs the rank 3 ability that allows you to generate determination while in combat and in conjunction with that capstone he pops <tab> so often it's ridiculous. Combine that with rank 3 roar and he's beserk almost all the d@mn time. There's another thing he has in there that I can't remember off the top of my head but yeah, it's pretty funny to watch.

As for the OP,

For leveling I *HIGHLY* recommend stacking life steal gear.

I think I was level 34 when I did a Mad Dragon run and the party derped and wiped at the first boss. Well, everyone except me. I practically solo'd that boss all by my lonesome. I lasted long enough for the entire party to wipe and run back from the start to the first boss and I was still kicking. Kept her from resetting so we were able to go full tilt against her while she was still at 1/5th health.

I got a lot of cheers for that one.

Once I got my Life Steal to around 7-10% I was able to put my cleric away and keep my cat out full time. I only pull the cleric out again during boss encounters. The problem I think that many players are having is that they consider the GWF to be a tank that can DPS, which is true, but you have to GEAR him to tank in order to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out that DPS.

I dunno about you guys but I much rather prefer to kill 3 packs of baddies all at once and walk out with nigh full HP and do it all probably, what?, 10 seconds slower than I would be able to do so as a DPS spec'd only GWF. But that's just me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The dealbreaker is +25% power while slam is active, which you will use 99,99% of the time.

And you can get those -45% defense without any problem after grabbing everything worthwhile from the destroyer tree.

Starting from arround lvl 43-45 you should be the #1 in dps in dungeons by quite a margin, the key is positioning. And partymembers that don't spam bloody AoE knockbacks on cooldown.
    lol that may be the problem a lot of CW im with just spam knockbacks so its hard to AoE
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    silknight wrote: »
    This is simply not true. As a 10000+ GS GWF, I can tell you that although GWf are nice in groups in epic dungeons, most groups now look for and prefer TR / CW over GWF. Many groups will bring 2 DC, and will fill last 3 spots with CW / TR. More damage and more control, GWF is now the odd man. The damage they bring isn't worth it, and the buffs / damage / and utility TR and CW bring far outshines the class.

having gs just means you were capable of doing a dungeon and picked up loot from the ground/rolling need

it doesnt mean your good at playing the class

people arnt using gwf because people are playing gwf wrong

i bring as much utility and far more aoe damage than a CW, all the while being able to off tank add groups effectively

Come and Get it brings excellent utility and is far better than maelstrom as maelstrom is a daily and come and get it is a low cooldown daily. You also get a flat damage bonus on your next strike - if you chain this with Indomitable Strike your hitting as many mobs as you pulled - sometimes 10-15, for a full damage + crits of easily 10-25k each. You then roar at them doing an additional 2-5k each, and now have a full action bar in a single rotation. You then slam and pound faces with the AoE damage and +25% power.

I run a lifedrinker weapon and use my acolyte with some mild lifesteal gear (working on more) and enchants for 10% lifesteal + lifedrinker steal and heal for 2-4K per SECOND on large packs or trash mobs. Tell me who can do that?

Many fights require an off tank - take spellplague last boss for example or pirate king last boss. A GWF that is good is a huge asset if he doesnt try to just be a dps master but plays his class like he is a master of AoE and yet an off tank with utility.

Not one person i have seen or read of uses come and get it. It is by far the most useful add control spell in the game. Very few use roar. Every GWF i party with has flourish crescendo and some other dumb spell. They wonder why i outdps them by 4-5 million at the end of the instance. It seems the class has attracted dps *****s or people who just like big weapons and killing stuff and they will be sorely dissapointed. GWF is a master class with high potential

nobody is filling it yet
  • Options
    edited May 2013

25% power is not that much of dps, since the servers are down I can't take a look at how much damage and healing my power gives me, but I was testing it and was not blow out by the results. I've had bigger Indomitable Battle Strike crits with Sentinel builds than with Destroyer (Marks alone give you increased damage, 15% on top of it more than make up for WMS debuff + destroyer buff during unstoppable). The biggest difference is the upkeep of slam alone that produces the dps advantage, that and using different passives.

Sentinel is by no means a dps tree to take, but the gap in dps is really not that big (it's not even close to the gap between conqueror and otherwise tanking specced GF).
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    25% power is not that much of dps, since the servers are down I can't take a look at how much damage and healing my power gives me, but I was testing it and was not blow out by the results. I've had bigger Indomitable Battle Strike crits with Sentinel builds than with Destroyer (Marks alone give you increased damage, 15% on top of it more than make up for WMS debuff + destroyer buff during unstoppable). The biggest difference is the upkeep of slam alone that produces the dps advantage, that and using different passives.

Sentinel is by no means a dps tree to take, but the gap in dps is really not that big (it's not even close to the gap between conqueror and otherwise tanking specced GF).

I have 800 base power and 1k with slam up. Thats a 200 power bonus and i have slam up constantly - no joke. not much of dps? your brain is addled
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have 800 base power and 1k with slam up. Thats a 200 power bonus and i have slam up constantly - no joke. not much of dps? your brain is addled

If your total dps is 80% weapon damage and 20% power, increasing your power by 25% gives you a whooping 5% dps gain. I don't have exact numbers at hand, but if you want to prove me wrong you'll have to present data, not insults.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I've played with both slam destroyer build and sentinel build at 60, I've 4000 Power, not 800, and I've seen the results of my Power going from 4000 to 5000 and I wasn't (overly) impressed. I've extensively tested using Slam + Unstoppable + WMS debuff vs Mark + 15% feat bonus on target dummy before dropping IBS and the damage was very similar if not higher and more reliable on Sentinel (1 condition vs 3). My 80% and 20% were arbitrary numbers to show the principle - Power does not scale to dps 1 to 1 (Deep Gash being exception) since a big part of your dps comes from weapon damage, that, sir, is a fact.
  • Options
    mrbloodybartucmrbloodybartuc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's nice to hear this. I've had my fingers crossed that there would be a need for AOE off-tanks in the end-game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I've played with both slam destroyer build and sentinel build at 60, I've 4000 Power, not 800, and I've seen the results of my Power going from 4000 to 5000 and I wasn't (overly) impressed. I've extensively tested using Slam + Unstoppable + WMS debuff vs Mark + 15% feat bonus on target dummy before dropping IBS and the damage was very similar if not higher and more reliable on Sentinel (1 condition vs 3). My 80% and 20% were arbitrary numbers to show the principle - Power does not scale to dps 1 to 1 (Deep Gash being exception) since a big part of your dps comes from weapon damage, that, sir, is a fact.

Slam is not a build. It is a spell. he ioun stones bonus power was in my head. I have 4500 base power, 5625 with slam up. If a big part of dps is weapon damage why does 5k power = 5-8k reliable extra damage on a spell that should do base 5k+ 900 weapon damage? the 5k power is giving a 5k boost in damage. Your brain is addled

Additionally, as i said, slam is not a build. It is a spell. You need come and get it and roar and you have slam up 100% of the time in almost all dungeons. 1125 power is a **** ton of damage and you have it at all times - while being mobile and doing heavy aoe damage from SLAM itself. No build. No build can match the utility, control and pure AoE damage of this build. Marks are nice i use them but they are useless in that your not allowed to off-tank with that spell on your bar and your losing the damage the minute you get him. Target dummies dont hit bat.

Dont tout 'post math or gtfo' when your posting beyond bunk math. Posting arbitrary numbers then telling the other person to 'post math' is about the rathermost <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> thing i have ever seen. are you trying to set yourself up to being called stupid?

Not only are your numbers arbitrary but they are flat out wrong. My numbers are far more realistic
  • Options
    krayz33krayz33 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since we are somewhat talking about damage and AoE i'm going to throw some questions into this discussion

has anyone a list of all the abilities and the "max targets" they are able to hit, not sure if everyone noticed but WMS for example is not able to damage more than 5 targets at once, so is IBS and if I'm not mistaken - Slam. (avalanche of steel is not, never tested it though)

Charge (Roar too I think) is able to hit an unlimited amount of targets though
    I've seen videos with way more than 10 adds at the same time sometimes and I wondered how, at first sight rather low damage, encounter abilities change according to the amount of adds mobbed up.

Charge for example is rather good to build up Action Points because its not target-capped and has 3 charges available
    and every target hit is increasing the chance and thus damage of steel blitz for example
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Slam is not a build. It is a spell. he ioun stones bonus power was in my head. I have 4500 base power, 5625 with slam up. If a big part of dps is weapon damage why does 5k power = 5-8k reliable extra damage on a spell that should do base 5k+ 900 weapon damage? the 5k power is giving a 5k boost in damage.

That's not how weapon damage works in this game. It's (weapon damage + power bonus) * X, where X is a modifier of any particular power - that's why sure strike can hit for less than weapon damage, and that's why IBS can do multiple times that damage.
    Your brain is addled

And I've yet to say a bad thing about you.
    Additionally, as i said, slam is not a build. It is a spell. You need come and get it and roar and you have slam up 100% of the time in almost all dungeons. 1125 power is a **** ton of damage and you have it at all times - while being mobile and doing heavy aoe damage from SLAM itself. No build. No build can match the utility, control and pure AoE damage of this build. Marks are nice i use them but they are useless in that your not allowed to off-tank with that spell on your bar and your losing the damage the minute you get him. Target dummies dont hit bat.

If you want to be literal, Slam is a power, we don't have spells. I've done dungeons with the slam destroyer build - meaning precisely what you are describing here, keeping Slam up the vast majority of the time. Yes, it is the most aoe dps you can do with the class, and potentially the most you can do in the game, but it comes from the fact that you have slam dealing damage all the time, not from the fact that it gives 25% Power bonus, GF has a 100% passive Power bonus and it does not double their dps.
    Dont tout 'post math or gtfo' when your posting beyond bunk math. Posting arbitrary numbers then telling the other person to 'post math' is about the rathermost <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> thing i have ever seen. are you trying to set yourself up to being called stupid?

Not only are your numbers arbitrary but they are flat out wrong. My numbers are far more realistic

Arbitrary numbers are by definition wrong. I've said that I do not have numbers at hand - for the same reason you didn't have them. I do have them now, however: 4214 Power contributes to +168.5 damage, with base weapon damage being 752 - 919 my arbitrary numbers where not that far from the mark, were they?

I just walked to a target dummy again, and hit it with IBS for 5206. Then I undressed myself completely spare the weapon, and with 1870 Power I hit the dummy again for 5138.

But don't believe me, go and test it yourself. Also, get some pills for that rage, it's unhealthy.