test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let us Review Quests We Can't Finish!

mabusgamingmabusgaming Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
There's just some Foundry quests that are literally impossible to finish either based on how long they take, grouped up encounters at level 60 being impossible to do, or other factors.. I feel like we should be able to review or note to the author the problems or what we dislike that would cause us to not want to finish.
Post edited by mabusgaming on

Comments

• phantomravephantomrave Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I second this- let us review things that we can't quite cope with finishing. I actually also like the idea of contacting the author to buzz them to the issues. That would be both helping as a user and creator.
  • chairgraveyard1chairgraveyard1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I agree with this. I'd also like to be able to review quests after the fact, because on a BUNCH of quests I've wanted to review, something has closed the dialog box for the review completely out of my control (moving with WASD at all will close it, for instance, as will someone zoning everyone out).
  • phantomravephantomrave Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    something has closed the dialog box for the review completely out of my control (moving with WASD at all will close it, for instance, as will someone zoning everyone out).

This. All over. The amount of times. Literally. A recently played section would be great.
    It'd allow for friends to play and look at your you've played and enjoyed (or not as the case might be) recently.
  • chairgraveyard1chairgraveyard1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    This. All over. The amount of times. Literally. A recently played section would be great.
    It'd allow for friends to play and look at your you've played and enjoyed (or not as the case might be) recently.

Yeah it's extremely annoying. There are a lot of quests where I wanted to give a good review and positive feedback (or even critical feedback) and NOPE! Dialogue is gone because a gust of wind tapped something on my keyboard.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the fragility of the review screen seriously needs to be looked at. It's extremely user-unfriendly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bestarallinbestarallin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to give players a way to send me a review without affectiing my score.

Like "i gave up beause this part is too hard for a gwf at level 30 with green gear."

So no bigblot on my review lost and just constructive criticism.
    Please play and rate my campaign : Making a little on the side. (NWS-DQASUEVTV)
  • hirichiric Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's just some Foundry quests that are literally impossible to finish either based on how long they take, grouped up encounters at level 60 being impossible to do, or other factors.. I feel like we should be able to review or note to the author the problems or what we dislike that would cause us to not want to finish.
    I definitely agree. A few maps need to be rated with specific feedback (unfinished)

Maybe something went wrong and made the module impossible to finish.
    Maybe and encounter is too hard.

The creator needs to know that, so that he can improve a module even without requiring someone to finish it every time.

A "send feedback" button accessible by the players in any point of the module would be great. Receiving more automated info about the feedback would be even better! (level, numer of players, quest step, location, map)
    Topics: ▬► [FOUNDRY] [BUGS] Reference List and Workarounds

Modules:▬► "Mind Over Matter" NW-DNASR4HTL
    (beta v0.9 - improving dialogues, fine tuning encounters, 99% bug free)
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why not just send the author a PM in game or a mail in game? It has worked for me and you can write a lot more than the tiny review column give to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can always email an author in game.

You are not allowed to rate or review dropped (aborted) quests because too many griefers will abuse the system (this is why it is set-up this way).
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It was decided during beta to only allow rating/feedback for people who had completed the mission in order to help prevent rating griefing.
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    During the first three Beta Weekends it was possible for players to review a quest no matter if they dropped it or not. The result was an enormous amount of 1-star reviews for every quest, typically for reasons beyond the author's control. It made every quest look bad, and resulted in no average scores above 3 stars (heck, it might have been 2.5).

The current system is necessary as a stop-gap until and if we get a more complex review system. Under no circumstances should people be able to affect the quest's average score without finishing it.

We're likely to get a system where people who drop a mission can report a bug directly to the author.
  • chiculadreamschiculadreams Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    +1 This was very helpful. Took me a while to figure out how to give feedback for a quest that I am struggling with completing. I understand why it's not allowed to provide feedback on quests you cannot complete due to choice or inability to read instructions, but it would be really nice if we had instructions on how to provide feedback when we run into bugs while in game. ;) This is that feedback avenue. (Just emailed in game to the author of the quest)
  • nimmanunimmanu Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I agree with others who have said that it's best to email them in game.

The problem is that people can pop into your instance, decide the entryway isn't 'cool enough' and 1 star you saying something like, "totally uncool instance". People have no idea the person didn't even try... they only read "totally uncool instance".

So yeah. Send the author's @ name a little letter in the mailbox and let them know what's going on. That's truly helpful!
    Breaching the Swarm NW-DUXUHQWNP

Pick your side, take a stand, save--or kill--your former allies.
  • mytgroomytgroo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Here are several problems which made me quit a few dungeons.

There were a few quests I could not finish. The main reason was falling in holes. Some people seem to like to put fights on precipices or make you climb to get to an enemy. The holes are sometimes not that visible so you have to be careful.

Sometimes you fall in a lake which you cannot even get out of with jumping can be frustrating. If you have a fiery lake, or a pond, make sure there is at least one easy way to climb out. I remember running around under a lake of fire with no exit.

Another frustration that made me almost quit a dungeon was knocking creatures off ledges or walls. Sometimes, you would have to hunt around for the creatures because the AI would not send them after you immediately. Consider when you can knock creatures off the ledges, that there is a way to find there way back to the party so they can go to the next section. A stuck creature can end a dungeon as quickly as a stuck character.

Another common error was not putting in additional fire pits as you move through a dungeon. There need to be more than one healing point. I think for each 15-20 minutes of play there should be a rest stop. So an 80 minute dungeon would have four to five rest stops. This made me not want to go back through the whole dungeon to get to the end because there was only a rest stop at the beginning.

These are some reasons I could not finish a dungeon. There were paired Commander Wights with a mob that drained my character too quickly of hit points. Mobs of draining creatures can very quickly kill almost any solo player. This has happened more than once.

Please let people know there will be a lot of jumping or climbing at the beginning of a dungeon. It is absolutely fine if people know at the beginning.
  • thalazar1thalazar1 Member Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    mytgroo wrote: »
    Another common error was not putting in additional fire pits as you move through a dungeon. There need to be more than one healing point. I think for each 15-20 minutes of play there should be a rest stop. So an 80 minute dungeon would have four to five rest stops. This made me not want to go back through the whole dungeon to get to the end because there was only a rest stop at the beginning.
    Only allowed ONE respawn 'fire pit' per map. If people are not putting a respawn in a map it can be a problem but you may not place more then one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Lost Keep NW-DS1XBAK7D An experiment Daily Foundry
    The Ruined Temple NW-DBHC7MUBL Latest and last one Daily Foundry
  • hawthornberryhawthornberry Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It would be too easy to review a quest without doing it and make a terrible review system even worse. But there really should be some way to say something about a quest that is so completely awful that you can't make it through, to warn other people.

There's no great solution to this problem. One not-great solution would be to allow a non-scored text-only review. Another might be that if you've spent at least 75% of the average play time of the quest in the quest, you can still review it even if you fail it (need a way to guard against just idling through that time, maybe, though I think the number of people who are jerkish enough to sabotage-review a quest if it takes 20 minutes to do so is not that huge -- and those people are already sabotage-reviewing quests now).
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    . . . . . You used to be able to but it was absurdly abused by people just trolling player's missions they didn't like, so now you must complete a mission in order to review it. If you feel so strongly about an unfinishable mission, send the player an in-game mail with your feedback.
  • mytgroomytgroo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    thalazar1 wrote: »
    Only allowed ONE respawn 'fire pit' per map. If people are not putting a respawn in a map it can be a problem but you may not place more then one.

Alright, a person has seven teleports on a map which have to be done in a particular order to get to different portions of the map. Or another example might be, each room has a different lever or key to activate to get to the next room. The map itself has four separate sections. The monsters constantly respawn. The default for the respawn point is the beginning of a map.

I think there are different size maps available. If you have a much larger map, how does this work? The size of the map and number of encounters should determine the number of respawn points. Some people even use spiral maps to maximize the space being used.

Also some people make caves very narrow, include different levels of rocks so you have to find the path as well as make the paths twisty and turny almost zigzagging which is a way to both make the dungeon longer and make the fights more interesting.

A number of dungeons require you to do a variety of actions on each map. Jump up onto a tree, open a door, move sets of levers into different position, use a teleporter, if you go back to the beginning and there are enough of these, most people won't finish the dungeon.

Thanks for letting me know about the respawn nodes. It is kind of interesting from a players perspective.
  • thalazar1thalazar1 Member Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    would be nice if the size of the map made a difference, but you are allowed only 1 respawn, 50 encounters, 1500 details, and a lot more budgeted items too many to list that are the same from a 10x10 to a 2000x 2000 foot maps.
    The way people design their maps is a different issue, I was just stating why you wouldn't find more respawn nodes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Lost Keep NW-DS1XBAK7D An experiment Daily Foundry
    The Ruined Temple NW-DBHC7MUBL Latest and last one Daily Foundry
  • antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It wouldn't work, people can be very nasty for no reason on the net. If they just allowed you to see how many starts compared to finishes each quest had this problem would be solved.