test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cat companion

levlo1levlo1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have seen posts regarding a cat companion being the best for dungeoning. However i cannot find any information regarding the acquisition of said cat :(

Were do i get one? :o
Post edited by levlo1 on

Comments

• azrael4271azrael4271 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Zen store/10 char
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually the cat is from the astral diamond vendor (Wondrous Bazaar), not zen store. Costs 980k diamonds. You can also find it in the building where all the companion vendors are.
  • levlo1levlo1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Was it a limited time only, or am i blind. As it isn't in the store.
  • levlo1levlo1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Found him, thankyou elyr. Slightly expensive :3
  • backbite44backbite44 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does the bonus from the cat increase as it gets higher levels. In one of the beta weekends I grabbed it but never leveled it up far due to time shortage. I think it was +15/+15 when I had it, hopefully scales with level, anyone confirm?
    Saved!
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes it goes up, not sure if by player level or companion rank. It's 42/42 on my 18 cleric, cat is rank 9 I think.
  • gertona2gertona2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    What really matters is the gear you put on the cat, not the cat's own stats.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is from my wizard guide:

For dungeons and group PvE, the Cat is by far the best companion. It gives you +225 Critical Chance and Recovery, but this is not what makes it so fantastic. You can give it a ring, a necklace and a belt, and the stats on these items are added to yours. That ring with +300 Power that you give the Cat? That is +300 Power for you. It's basically like wearing three rings, two necklaces and two belts! (Not all stats transfer, +HP for example does not.) This is the best 960k AD that you will spend for your Control Wizard. If you get it early, leveling it won't be such a pain. It is a non-combat companion and cannot be killed. (Cryptic likes cats, unlike other companies -- remember what always happened to Mr. Bigglesworth in that other game?)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    This is from my wizard guide:

For dungeons and group PvE, the Cat is by far the best companion. It gives you +225 Critical Chance and Recovery, but this is not what makes it so fantastic. You can give it a ring, a necklace and a belt, and the stats on these items are added to yours. That ring with +300 Power that you give the Cat? That is +300 Power for you. It's basically like wearing three rings, two necklaces and two belts! (Not all stats transfer, +HP for example does not.) This is the best 960k AD that you will spend for your Control Wizard. If you get it early, leveling it won't be such a pain. It is a non-combat companion and cannot be killed. (Cryptic likes cats, unlike other companies -- remember what always happened to Mr. Bigglesworth in that other game?)

Do any runestone stats transfer or is it just the right side equipment?
  • quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »

All the stats except HP transfer 100%. If you put a rune that gives you x% of the cats stats then it will be more. I have a blue 7% rune in mine so I will get 107% of the cats stats. Its win. :D Put your best gear on the Cat first.
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • shadeypwnzshadeypwnz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    Sigh, yet another pay for power option in the game. The list of things you can purchase with real money to make you "better" than other players is starting to get massively extensive.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Both! (I need to include this, thanks!) At least +Power does, and for items, I can also confirm +Crit and +Recovery. It shows both in the cat's "summoning bonus" and the character's stats screen.

@quttidebachi: Thanks for confirming this! This makes the Cat even better.
    edited May 2013
    Hm what about the purple rune (can't recall the name) that gives the companion a dot for 20% damage each hit? That would seem exceptionally powerful if it transferred too.
    edited May 2013
    shadeypwnz wrote: »
    Sigh, yet another pay for power option in the game. The list of things you can purchase with real money to make you "better" than other players is starting to get massively extensive.

It's diamonds, not zen, as mentioned towards the start of the thread. Granted you can get diamonds with zen but you can do that for anything in the game, not unique to this pet at all.
  • vitadrink469vitadrink469 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What???? Did you not read the posts by other players or are you playing dumb by typing something that is not true?
    This cat can be bought with 980k AD (ASTRAL DIAMOND) NOT ZEN <---****NOT ZEN****
    There, did i make it clear for you? Had you read the earlier posts you'd know that this cat isn't purchased with real money.
    Get your biased thoughts out of here no offense.
    edited May 2013
    Hm what about the purple rune (can't recall the name) that gives the companion a dot for 20% damage each hit? That would seem exceptionally powerful if it transferred too.

I have a Lesser Indomitable Runestone from a lockbox, but I would rather not test this. :p

But my guess is that it won't work. The description says, "When applied to a Companion: Your pet's powers that target foes deal 10% additional damage over 3 seconds as physical damage." The ones that increase the stats say, "Owner gains 7% of the pet's stats."

edit: Actually! I put in a 7% stats runestone and this only affected the Cat's base bonuses, recovery and crit. It did not increase the +power from the gear or runestones.
    edited May 2013
    What???? Did you not read the posts by other players or are you playing dumb by typing something that is not true?
    This cat can be bought with 980k AD (ASTRAL DIAMOND) NOT ZEN <---****NOT ZEN****
    There, did i make it clear for you? Had you read the earlier posts you'd know that this cat isn't purchased with real money.
    Get your biased thoughts out of here no offense.

Zen purchases AD, please think before you post. At almost 1 million AD, this would take 42 days of farming 24k diamonds every single day before you could purchase it. By paying for it, you get this at an incredibly early level as opposed to getting it at level 60.
  • notdrizztnotdrizzt Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Both! (I need to include this, thanks!) At least +Power does, and for items, I can also confirm +Crit and +Recovery. It shows both in the cat's "summoning bonus" and the character's stats screen.

@quttidebachi: Thanks for confirming this! This makes the Cat even better.

What about the Ioun stones? Don't they do this as well?
    edited May 2013
    Zen purchases AD, please think before you post. At almost 1 million AD, this would take 42 days of farming 24k diamonds every single day before you could purchase it. By paying for it, you get this at an incredibly early level as opposed to getting it at level 60.

True but again that's the case with most AD costing items - the best way to make AD is using the auction house, not farming them daily.
    edited May 2013

24k is only the cap for refining rough ADs. You can make as many as you want by playing the AH or through foundry tips.
    edited May 2013
    24k is only the cap for refining rough ADs. You can make as many as you want by playing the AH or through foundry tips.

Well then, it's unfortunate this game isn't designed to be played by people who just want to play it. I either spend hundreds of hours grinding out terribly low amounts of AD for items that other people have had since day 1 because they paid for them, or I spend however many hours creating a dungeon whether or not I actually care about the foundry, just to get people to play it and tip me diamonds so I can buy things other people have had since day 1. Or I can sit at the AH for hours every day posting and reposting items every time I get undercut, or buying items that are way underpriced and selling them high, instead of actually playing and enjoying the game. All of this, so I can afford ONE item that others have had access to since day 1.

The idea of purchasing power still exists whether you can technically purchase an item with in-game currency or not. Even if it took me a single day to farm that cat, it's still cheap, lazy, and poor design to allow other players to purchase additional power for themselves before me. Being able to purchase anything in an online game will forever remain a cosmetic decision, and any game that allows players to purchase power will upset it's player base. No one appreciates being told to grind out specific parts of a game while they watch other people throw money at gear and stats to improve themselves.

Whether or not you think 1 million AD is a fair price for one single companion (let's ignore the other dozens of things you literally need to spend AD on) is a moot point. The point is you can buy this pet with real money. It is statistically and by design better than other pets. It is additional power for your character. You are buying power.
    edited May 2013
    Well then, it's unfortunate this game isn't designed to be played by people who just want to play it. I either spend hundreds of hours grinding out terribly low amounts of AD for items that other people have had since day 1 because they paid for them, or I spend however many hours creating a dungeon whether or not I actually care about the foundry, just to get people to play it and tip me diamonds so I can buy things other people have had since day 1. Or I can sit at the AH for hours every day posting and reposting items every time I get undercut, or buying items that are way underpriced and selling them high, instead of actually playing and enjoying the game. All of this, so I can afford ONE item that others have had access to since day 1.

The idea of purchasing power still exists whether you can technically purchase an item with in-game currency or not. Even if it took me a single day to farm that cat, it's still cheap, lazy, and poor design to allow other players to purchase additional power for themselves before me. Being able to purchase anything in an online game will forever remain a cosmetic decision, and any game that allows players to purchase power will upset it's player base. No one appreciates being told to grind out specific parts of a game while they watch other people throw money at gear and stats to improve themselves.

Whether or not you think 1 million AD is a fair price for one single companion (let's ignore the other dozens of things you literally need to spend AD on) is a moot point. The point is you can buy this pet with real money. It is statistically and by design better than other pets. It is additional power for your character. You are buying power.

What you're really saying with all this is - this game is not for you.

They give you alternative ways to earn ADs and you don't like doing them. That's on you. They're still viable ways of earning AD for a free player.

Also, the cat is only really good in instanced/group content where you have someone else healing. A cleric companion will be more beneficial for solo play on most classes (clerics would probably get more use out of a defender/striker too solo).
    edited May 2013
    What you're really saying with all this is - this game is not for you.

They give you alternative ways to earn ADs and you don't like doing them. That's on you. They're still viable ways of earning AD for a free player.

Also, the cat is only really good in instanced/group content where you have someone else healing. A cleric companion will be more beneficial for solo play on most classes (clerics would probably get more use out of a defender/striker too solo).

So you do enjoy grinding AD? Oh wait, Hero of the North title.

37637974.jpg
    edited May 2013
    So you do enjoy grinding AD? Oh wait, Hero of the North title.

Funny image but doesn't alter the truth of my words at all :P

And no, I didn't buy the pack because of the 2mil diamonds, that was just a bonus.
    edited May 2013
    Funny image but doesn't alter the truth of my words at all :P

And no, I didn't buy the pack because of the 2mil diamonds, that was just a bonus.

Yes, it does alter everything you're saying. I can sit here and talk about how the kids in Africa shouldn't complain because they can simply walk hundreds of miles and get their food, while I walk 2 minutes down the road to buy bread. This doesn't make me wrong, it just makes me an *******.
    edited May 2013
    Yes, it does alter everything you're saying. I can sit here and talk about how the kids in Africa shouldn't complain because they can simply walk hundreds of miles and get their food, while I walk 2 minutes down the road to buy bread. This doesn't make me wrong, it just makes me an *******.

Well I'm not sure how 2million diamonds which I've pretty much already spent at this point and am facing similar "grinding" choices to free players for more diamonds, and not being born/raised in a 3rd world country have anything in common.

But I'm sure this makes perfect sense to you, so keep complaining about how miserable life as a free player is.
  • notdrizztnotdrizzt Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Instead of arguing with a very vocal froob, anyone know if the Ioun Stone of Allure would be a better companion for a CW? It goes up to a higher level too.
    edited May 2013
    notdrizzt wrote: »
    Instead of arguing with a very vocal froob, anyone know if the Ioun Stone of Allure would be a better companion for a CW? It goes up to a higher level too.

Pretty sure going up in level makes it superior as you get another item slot with stats to transfer. Even at the loss of an offensive runestone slot it gives you more options/stats in general.
    edited May 2013

Comparing your lack of willingness to pay for your entertainment to starving children in Africa is off. You are not a victim.
  • gertona2gertona2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    the 2 million AD was only there to give an early influx of money on the market, it was not really beneficial to players buying the packs, since Zen is more useful than AD is atm. You can buy stuff off the AH with diamonds, yes, but if there were less AD, the prices would be lower. Thing i sold for 300k at the start are now worth less than 50k, see the pattern here?
    A free to play player who levels fast and sells items would actually benefit from the players buying HotN more than the buyers themself since prices will pan out.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!