test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Worried about XP nerf - IOW "Why we can't have nice things" :)

paravelparavel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I know this is premature and I know Cryptic is ontop of it. But man. . I wish those who try to game the system would just stop.

My fear is that this people making the exploit maps may create an environment where they have to nerf XP in foundry quests so much that their will be no incentive for others to play our content. As it is trying to get plays can be a daunting task at best. If they are forced to bring xp down to where it is not "profitable" for a player to do foundry quests then I fear our creations will go untouched.

I would love a open and honest discussion to take place on the subject and topic. . I do have some ideas of how we as authors can try to help Cryptic stay on top of this.

One thing is as a community we need to help educate and encourage players to use the terms of usage reporting system. If we can get players to do this then we can help them weed out the bad apples.

What are some other ways that we as authors can help Cryptic not have to sink more money and resources into this system that has excited many of us?

Let's keep it clean and classy. :)
Post edited by paravel on

Comments

• fyredrake2fyredrake2 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately, there will always be those who are looking to get away with exploiting the system and ruin it for the rest of us. They are being proactive and removing those "exploit" type Foundry quests, but you kill one, two more pop up in it's place.

I think with the toolset does a decent job of limiting how much a creator can cram into a dungeon to avoid "easy XP overkill", but there's no easy way to control pushing the limits. I think that they need to put more emphasis on the player based evaluations and make Foundry creations achieve 3 stars before being listed on the job board. And if too many negative evaluations are received, the quest is removed and not able to be reuploaded and the creator has his/her hand smacked and publishing privileges are revoked for 30 days.

I'm sure that there are plenty of buffs and nerfs coming to Foundry...we just have to roll with the punches and adapt to the changes and remember that F2P games have an overabundance of selfish people that don't care if they ruin it for others.
  • pearofanguishpearofanguish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Fingers crossed the player content remains on par with Dev content... Fingers crossed
    Ignore me.... 90% of the time I dont care, 10% of the time I am indifferent....
    21.jpg
  • duskdweller78duskdweller78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's only one issue with what you're proposing, I checked yesterday and some "xp farm" quests had high star ratings.
    Campaign:Different Seasons
    Author: @BardicKnowledge
    Q1: Prologue - The Lady and the Worm NW-DPQPJSVTH
    Tags: #Challenge, #Story, #Solo, #Group
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fyredrake2 wrote: »
    I think that they need to put more emphasis on the player based evaluations and make Foundry creations achieve 3 stars before being listed on the job board. And if too many negative evaluations are received, the quest is removed and not able to be reuploaded and the creator has his/her hand smacked and publishing privileges are revoked for 30 days.

You do realize that easy XP quest get high ratings and lots of plays, right?
  • coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ok, I've said this before and I'll say it again here, why do we need to stop people from just farming XP in the foundry to begin with? Why not let them do their thing while those that enjoy story get to do their thing? This "Us vs Them" attitude the "Artists" are taking is what causes the problem. For every player who enjoys a good story run with lots of interactions and puzzles there are hundreds who are looking to just hack and slash. If we don't embrace that the Devs will be forced to destroy the entire system of freedom that currently exists.

Look at the past to see examples of UGC going like this, and what you see is Devs stepping in to stop the farming and instead ruining the whole UGC concept. CoX had a horrible time with losing nearly all the flexibility for story telling in it's UGC because of the Devs saying "you will play this game our way" and in the end the players walked. That is what happens when Devs set standards of "you must play this way or else", players feel stifled and leave.

If we simply embrace this, let those who want hack and slash have it and give them their own tab then those who want story can make their content and not have it buried. You won't get any more plays though. I warn you of that right now. The reason a farm map gets 100 plays for every 1 play your story gets has nothing to do with where it shows up in the list and everything to do with the playstyle difference between "Role"players and "Roll"players.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • backwoods660backwoods660 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They just said this patch they are making adjustments to the foundry Xp.. I am willing to bet that the foundry is now going to be a ghost town with no one wanting to use it.
  • twittlelitetwittlelite Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Kind of sucks, maybe they'll have to put in a monster limit or something. That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
    Or just give a static amount of xp at a certain level at the end of the map.
  • cubansyruscubansyrus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17
    edited May 2013
    i load into a foundary for a story idc if it has massive or no exp, i am enjoy experiencing peoples minds.

on that note there is alot who think like me 5 go's/views is better than none
  • duskdweller78duskdweller78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's already a monster limit, and it's already strict enough.
    Campaign:Different Seasons
    Author: @BardicKnowledge
    Q1: Prologue - The Lady and the Worm NW-DPQPJSVTH
    Tags: #Challenge, #Story, #Solo, #Group
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Something every developer learns about players: They're like lightning or water.

They always seek the path of least resistance. Best XP for Invested Time. Best Rewards for Invested Time. If they can find a way to get it faster they will follow that path. If one exists with incredible returns it will be the only path taken by a substantial portion of the playerbase.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
    edited May 2013
    I know there are plenty of farming quests out there...and they are perfectly legitimate dungeons. Personally, I don't see the attraction to them. It's like cheat codes, the player will eventually burn out of being on "easy mode" and either leave or realize that there is so much more fun content to play rather than pure XP maps.

I'm sure with a little thought, there can be a fair evaluation and placement process put into place with will reward those quests that have had some real work put into them. Leaving those "OMG EZ MODE" at the bottom of the job board, but still available.
  • oivoodsiooivoodsio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately, there will always be those who are looking to get away with exploiting the system and ruin it for the rest of us. They are being proactive and removing those "exploit" type Foundry quests, but you kill one, two more pop up in it's place.

Let's be realistic here, the "Exploit" being done is not an exploit. The game was designed in a way where the AI follows boundaries of the players, no flying up walls, no running through deadly traps etc. Hey Blizzard called its called EVADE, honestly no evade or tether and you say exploit? I say clever use of game mechanics, this isn't doing anything not intended, the unintentional thing is how maps were being made, no game has ever just featured useful content created by players, not halo, not Thawk, not nothing that inspired this online map creation in video games, this isnt DnD on ur table w/ some chunky sweaty guy in a robe, only Featured and reviewed quests should do anything.
  • forien69forien69 Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    steampunky wrote: »
    Something every developer learns about players: They're like lightning or water.

They always seek the path of least resistance. Best XP for Invested Time. Best Rewards for Invested Time. If they can find a way to get it faster they will follow that path. If one exists with incredible returns it will be the only path taken by a substantial portion of the playerbase.

-Rachel-

LOL, I like the this metaphor :D
  • oivoodsiooivoodsio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know there are plenty of farming quests out there...and they are perfectly legitimate dungeons. Personally, I don't see the attraction to them. It's like cheat codes, the player will eventually burn out of being on "easy mode" and either leave or realize that there is so much more fun content to play rather than pure XP maps.

I'm sure with a little thought, there can be a fair evaluation and placement process put into place with will reward those quests that have had some real work put into them. Leaving those "OMG EZ MODE" at the bottom of the job board, but still available.

Side note to this more people @ endgame testing stuff = more possible player base and more community. Get over it we been grinding like this on every MMO since RS.
  • wednesdaywoe13wednesdaywoe13 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    paravel wrote: »
    My fear is that this people making the exploit maps may create an environment where they have to nerf XP in foundry quests so much that their will be no incentive for others to play our content.

No need to fear that it might happen, this is exactly what will happen. It happened in CoH, and now history is just repeating itself. Unfortunately player-designed content systems are a magnet for unscrupulous players.

It will shake out like this: roleplayers will get continual use out of the system since they will mostly use it for their own storytelling (they won't be playing your missions, they'll be playing their own missions), people who are writing missions to entertain others will be largely ignored (except for the small community of authors playing each others missions), average players won't use the system at all because there will be little incentive to do so, and exploiters will massively eclipse everyone else when exploits are discovered.

I wish I had some good news, but there really isn't any.
    edited May 2013
    They just said this patch they are making adjustments to the foundry Xp.. I am willing to bet that the foundry is now going to be a ghost town with no one wanting to use it.

I think just the opposite! The Foundry is a place to let your imagination flow into a story, it's not about XP or loot. People who are too lazy to go out and grind real world zones made it that way. I think if these easy XP mode maps disappear, the creators of quality content will come out to play even more. I hope they nerf the Foundry XP to the point that it's not productive to farm Foundry quests.
  • papageno19papageno19 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope that the update today doesn't nerf xp across the board. Those of us with challenging multi-objective quests aren't going to see many people play them except maybe at level cap. This is a sad day for foundry creators.
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    First of all they've already commented that "Farm" maps are 100% perfectly fine and legitimate. They don't have a problem with this kind of content and they're totally down with it. There are plenty of examples of them out there.

What they do have a problem with is exploiting.

Can't really get into the details of exactly how people are exploiting the AI (even though it's pretty common knowledge at this point) but the fact is that the the AI is extremely vulnerable to exploit. Not even all the exploits have been really widely used at this stage and there's many, many ways to exploit the very poorly designed AI.

This is the result of what happens when you don't have an open beta for a game. By that I mean a publicly accessed on going beta that will eventually be wiped of all it's content and not this launch that they labeled an open beta.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    papageno19 wrote: »
    I hope that the update today doesn't nerf xp across the board. Those of us with challenging multi-objective quests aren't going to see many people play them except maybe at level cap. This is a sad day for foundry creators.

Yea if they did nerf it I see no point in bothering with the Foundry at all. I only do Foundries for XP and loot. I love the Draconis Pub foundry and have run it countless times and even have somewhat paid attention to what's going on inside of it story wise out of boredom from running it before all the super grind maps came out.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • fockbichgetcashfockbichgetcash Banned Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure there are reasons for this to not be the case and I'm sure people will be keen to tell me why but why not just make it so if the mob can't attack you it just avoids all attacks and resets (much like WoW). Obviously if they're just frozen in place they shouldn't reset but shouldn't this fix the issue?
    I know control wizards can kite around 30 Ogres but it's a fairly intensive process and isn't really that time efficient.
  • skellionskellion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Everyone who used the exploited dungeons should have their characters rolled back to the level they were before they used them, easy to tell who and when a person did them cause there exp and leveling would skyrocket in the data files.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think just the opposite! The Foundry is a place to let your imagination flow into a story, it's not about XP or loot. People who are too lazy to go out and grind real world zones made it that way. I think if these easy XP mode maps disappear, the creators of quality content will come out to play even more. I hope they nerf the Foundry XP to the point that it's not productive to farm Foundry quests.

I for one want to be able to reach max level without touching developer content. NOT with farming/grinding mods, but just doing quests in Foundry. If that gets killed, then the game is pretty useless in my eyes.

I understand your viewpoint, just realize that this will kill at least 60% of the people who are doing Foundry content right now. There's a slipper slope here. You can't just pass judgement on this, because it also kills Foundry for those of us who want to experience it, but also don't want to get no reward/not able to level from this content.

Otherwise, the only quests getting major play will be the five-minute daily quests, just to fill the daily allotment. As another poster said, players tend to go the path of least resistance to gain rewards. Honestly, that's probably about 80% of the player base. If you make Foundry content too difficult to level up in, then you've lost 80% of potential reviewers.
  • gizmosdragongizmosdragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If players are taking down monsters with 100% legitimate ways and not using exploits. Things should be fine. If they are using buggy foundry mechanics to lock monsters or lower their hit points. Then this is not fine. It is pretty simple to just fix the errors and bugs so players can not lock monsters up, or lower their hit points. Lowering the amount of experience was a poor fix.

Besides if all these (grinding monster experience) players don't have foundry quests to grind. Do you think you will be able to complete any quests requiring killing mobs in any cryptic created content map? Nope, zone will be filled with people grinding mobs.
    Lets frustrate everybody instead.

Correct the bugs/exploits. Give us the experience back. Long live the foundry.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    coanunn wrote: »
    You won't get any more plays though. I warn you of that right now. The reason a farm map gets 100 plays for every 1 play your story gets has nothing to do with where it shows up in the list and everything to do with the playstyle difference between "Role"players and "Roll"players.

You know what, I'm okay with that. I don't want them playing my quests anyway, because they'll just downvote 'em to 1 star because there's too much talkin' and not enough killin', so if they have their own little speed leveling corner of the foundry where they can sit over there and not bother anyone else, I'm all for that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013

-Rachel-

This isn't players. This is people, in general. It's a sad reflection of our society.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    skellion wrote: »
    Everyone who used the exploited dungeons should have their characters rolled back to the level they were before they used them, easy to tell who and when a person did them cause there exp and leveling would skyrocket in the data files.

The only way they could legitimately do it would be to keep a record of each exploit map as they delete them. Hopefully have a system in place where they can check who ran said maps. Analyze the amount of XP the player earned running that map across various runs. Analyze how much XP they've earned since then and then add them together and calculate their real level...

...when all said and done it's easier to let them just get a pass this time or ban them.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • angpeasant007angpeasant007 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, I really hate to be this person, but someone needs to say this: If they decide to get rid of all farming mods (not to be mistaken for the exploit mods), the people who want to do farming mods WILL play your story telling mods. Yep. But there's the thing: it's not like they're going to read whatever you wrote. They're going to follow the glowy tail, kill the stuff, loot the bodies, click through the conversations without reading and go about their merry way. It's not like they're going to suddenly think, "WOW! What have I been missing all this time? I've been so wrong! Grinding is bad! I should appreciate this piece of art!"

Do you know why I say this? Because I've done it already. Take the "I am Slayer" mod as an example. Great mod. Awesome twist ending. But after I've played through it on one character, I just clicked though the conversation options and killed the Drow on my glowy path with my other characters. And I am an exception because I actually DID read it the first time. Multiple play throughs is exactly like playing through the main Neverwinter campaign multiple times: Once you've read it, you know the story. Why bother reading it again? Now I'm just going to kill whatever is on my glowy path no matter how good the story was the first time I read it.

Look, I know how it feels to put a lot of time and effort into something that you've crafted. I write and craft a story for another community. We all tell ourselves that we're just doing this for ourselves. Baloney. Deep down you know you want to be appreciated by other people. At least with this game, if someone likes your stuff, they will tip you with AD.

My point is that you should be thankful for the play throughs you DO get and stop worrying about what other people are doing. Sometimes they just want to kill stuff without thinking about it. And maybe, just maybe, half the players for your mods actually do read whatever you wrote. Maybe.
  • toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    I wish a Dev would come in and lay the law down witht heir plan/code for handling foundry. I want them to leave it as powerful as it is. I want to make rich, memorable content for all users to enjoy and share. I think we as a community should work with them in ensuring an easy method to catch people who abuse the system.

Here: When you play a foundry quest, add a comment keyword. Report it. I think if we put Loot Farm or EXP farm in the notes of the quest, then it would be a little easier for the company to check the content and review it. That is what I do.
  • cronis10000cronis10000 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013

-Rachel-

Ok so I leveled my CW from 40 to 53 last night. I just want to get him to 60 already, but here is the difference I already leveled my GWF to 60 via the questlines. I don't want to have to level my characters via quests in zones each and everytime I make an alt. I will if I have to but I will simply blow through the missions and not even bother with dungeons or skirmishes.

I am ok with myself and other players doing that why? Because that is what I did in Star Trek when the game came out. I built one character. Had fun lvling him with friends. My alt was burning through space encounters and hit 50 in 2 days. Didn't kill the game for me. Just let me have a high lvl character to do stuff with later on when I want. I also work full time and have a fairly busy schedule so when I get the chance to focus my efforts and maximize my levels I am all for it.

I do think players need to do some questing on each class so they can learn the fundamentals of how to operate the class they play. However NW is a different game at 60 and most classes are completely different at that level than while leveling up so you have to in a way learn your class over again especially for elite dungeons. What I did on my GWF from 1-59 helped me learn my attack style. I simply had to remold my build to get to a better and more effective system to handle dungeons with my friends.

Now all my alts are simply to play elite dungeons with my friends and guildmates and do the odd bit of pvp from time to time.
    edited May 2013
    Man, this thread makes me wish I could flag my foundry missions as private, for friends only.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]