Options

Control wizards are too weak

2»

Comments

• Options
    aelvez0120aelvez0120 Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    mikael74 wrote: »
    barely doing more damage than the Cleric.
    Have you considered the possibility that maybe you just suck?
  • Options
    ecstasylolecstasylol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thinking that you can just throw your talent points into any slot you want and expect to own the floor is just silly.

Try reading all the talents, Gathering what talents you use, to where skill points are allocated.

I assure you playing the "Control" Wizard correctly rotating your debufs and pickng your skills wisely apon what scenario your facing will see you always pushing more damage "While" Controlling the floor than most classes.

Knowledge is power dont neglect it bud.

In my opinion GWF's need a bit of a tweak.
    Rogues are good where they stand.
    Control Wizards are good where they stand.
    Guardians need a tweak,
    Clerics are good where they stand.
  • Options
    noosednoosed Member Posts: 247 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sooo, I have a 26 CW. I have never had any issues with any mobs and have never ranked less than #2 in dmg in dungeons, i frequent #1. The reason you think CW is weak is because you're doing it wrong, stop complaining and have your mother read you a guide.
  • Options
    loqelexloqelex Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    30 CW here, decked in mostly greens. Hardly ever have to use a potion, 2-3 maybe on a boss-fight.
    The few dungones and PvP's I've entered has had me on 1-3 in damage...
    To say the CW is weak? No... not at all.
  • Options
    voidwatcherxvoidwatcherx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mikael74 wrote: »
    Good thing then that I have financially supported an upcoming fantasy MMORPG who sticks with the D&D 3.5 Edition rules since this 4th Edition seems to be pure garbage.

That sounds great as well! I wish you the best of luck with your efforts. No I am serious, not trying to be sarcastic. If you have the financial needs covered to do this then the best of luck to you!
    dakasig.png

• Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aelvez0120 wrote: »

^ This. I have a CW alt and I suck really bad on him. I'm 55 and I get trashed in pvp. I use Magic Missles, Ray of Frost, Chill Strike(Mastery), Ray of Enfeeblement, Entangling Force and Repel and im just awful. Rogues can always seem to close the distance and avoid my CC which they then kill me in around 2-4sec. Ive seen CW out completely dominate, ive seen a Cleric solo two rogues, seen a GWF waste rogue/cw. Its all about how good your playstyle is with that class. For me I seem to lack blending CC+Damage. I feel im best suited for a striker(not gonna play TR, maybe hit Warlock when it appears).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stsimeonstsimeon Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just finished a dungeon where wizards were constantly throwing repel. I am a GF and it is very annoying having my AOE's hit no one because repels are thrown in the middle of my daily etc.

Please for the love of all that is good stop doing that.
  • Options
    theaszuretheaszure Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes buff me so i cannot 2 shot but 1 shot stuff!
    [XBOX] - Malvious - Oathbound Paladin
  • Options
    erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    aelvez0120 wrote: »

BUMP. I've seen CW doing enough work for 2 ppl together, i even ran 2 epic dungeons in a 4 members team without cleric and with 2 CW and we still ended it after dying 3 times at the last boss. CW got an insane damage and an insane number of cc, they are as much needed in a party as clerics are
  • Options
    nyros23nyros23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really enjoy my CW. At the moment I am level 45, and I can keep up with damage of Trickster Rogues of the same level. I think it depends on your Powers and your Paragon choices. Currently I play a Renegade.
    If I do PvP I also have Powers for that as well. I think ultimately it really just comes down to how you would like to play your class, and of course gear and enchants.
    Anyhow, best thing I can suggest to you is try out different combinations of powers and spells, to keep the game interesting, thats what I do :)
  • Options
    zeruinzeruin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    desinger3desinger3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Wizards r not weak they r just hard to play (harder than sins).We will need more time to learn how to play them.
  • Options
    robman1978robman1978 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Control Wizard is weaker (DPS) compared to the TR and the GWF. It is actually quite strong in the CC department though.
  • Options
    callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ive seen GOOD CWS DO MASSIVE PVP DAMAGE.

Good CWS though, like, I could count on 1 hand how many of them I ran into.

So the issue here as usual would be l2p...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    callmedeux wrote: »
    Ive seen GOOD CWS DO MASSIVE PVP DAMAGE.

Good CWS though, like, I could count on 1 hand how many of them I ran into.

So the issue here as usual would be l2p...

Yeah, same with the GWF.

I have no trouble topping the charts with mine, and I do great in PvP... Yet according to the majority of the player base my class sucks.
  • Options
    maximumsquidmaximumsquid Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Zero issues with CW so far. . .

I'm doing hand over fist better than my GWF who I got to 32 before deciding to switch
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Zero issues with CW so far. . .

I'm doing hand over fist better than my GWF who I got to 32 before deciding to switch

Honestly get up into the 50's and get some gear.

The GWF is broken in that it is very, very gear dependent. However, once we are geared out - we become unstoppable.
  • Options
    valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    get to 60. Skill is a huge factor. Theres is a 50/50 ratio when i go up against CWs, if they have the right abilites and get the upper hand/without my daily available, i die in their cc. no way to get out, unless i use impossible to catch. pvp gear helps too ofc. rogues and cws have insane burst atm. kill people within a 4 sec window.
  • Options
    nexfariousnexfarious Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've only played a guardian so far to 44, but from what I can tell during dungeons control wizard is pretty much the most needed and best class for the team, other than having 1 cleric. But there is an oobvious ploy where if you focus on doing large dps as a control wizard all your abilities seem to smash opponents around (terrible for control) whereas the singularity is so ridiculously powerful but makes everyone *ELSE* do the high dps instead. Too bad it's a teamgame I guess...
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why are wizards so weak, they wear cloth armor so should do most damage yet the rogue always get top dps why is this?

I looked forward to Neverwinter because D&D has always gotten it right, wizards are glass cannons and plate wearers are tanks yet in this you have gotten it very wrong. If rogues can do so much damage then they should wear cloth and wizards wear leather.
    Learn to play that is all I have to say.
    And let me remind you name of your class:
    CONTROL wizard. That means you are overloaded with CONTROL not damage. That being said, still can do considerable dmg.
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic has stayed true to the 4e formula where a Wizards role is a Controller. Allow me to quote directly from the 4th edition PHB;

That being said, yes, wizards can do quite a bit of damage in PnP because it is much easier to just adapt the rules to what you prefer as a DM. Also, you get more choice over what at-wills, encounters, dailies and utility powers to choose from. Heck, you can even create your own. What we must do however, is remind ourselves that this cannot be applied to an MMO.

The design decision of the Control Wizard in Neverwinter has been made by Cryptic, closely supervised by Wizards of the Coast. Considering it is their license being used they sure have a vested interest seeing that it remains as true to their core rules as possible.
    Now, are control wizards too weak? Hardly. Can they be built to be more focused on damage? definetly. Will that change their role into Striker? Nope. The Warlock and Ranger classes are also strikers, be on the lookout for those in the future!

This is correct, wizards role and focus in 4E D&D is in control, and the AOE damage they deal is to that end and significant, but they aren't a striker. This is also the problem GWF is experiencing, they aren't strikers, they are defenders with great weapons.
  • Options
    themightycthulhuthemightycthulhu Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    noosed wrote: »
    Sooo, I have a 26 CW. I have never had any issues with any mobs and have never ranked less than #2 in dmg in dungeons, i frequent #1. The reason you think CW is weak is because you're doing it wrong, stop complaining and have your mother read you a guide.

sorry can't my mother is dead and so is my father
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why are wizards so weak, they wear cloth armor so should do most damage yet the rogue always get top dps why is this?

I looked forward to Neverwinter because D&D has always gotten it right, wizards are glass cannons and plate wearers are tanks yet in this you have gotten it very wrong. If rogues can do so much damage then they should wear cloth and wizards wear leather.

Weak? Really? I've been steamrolling through content without much risk. The key is to use your control powers to your advantage. I typically fire off the ice bolt thing to lock a target in place initially all the while firing magic missles or Ice cloud depending on circumstances. Then I drop the AOE storm effect on the foe and as they charge me again I hit them with the air lift effect. All the while I have my shield up. When all that cycles I hit the foe with the ice bolt to freeze them again. Usually by then everything but bosses are dead.

If I get crowded I either cycle my shield for the throwback effect, use the ice cloud at will to do AOE damage or if enough foes are rushing me I use a daily.

I typically have my direwolf out though in closed beta the wolf worked. Based on the open beta if you have the cleric companion you will hardly need to use pots at all to stay healthy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there is nothing in a low lvl control wizard that can control anything for more than 2 or 3 seconds, that is not what I call control

You need to be cycling your controls. Hit them with the icebolt, followed by the AOE storm effect, followed by the one that lifts them off of the ground. Cycle back to icebolt when it recharges.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]