test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Library

numpadicnumpadic Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Library
Cmon, are you kidding me? We weild the power of arcane and ice and i dont see where books came from, like give us somenthing more serious
Post edited by numpadic on

Comments

• Options
    theaszuretheaszure Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    holy.... people have to cry about anything.. be happy we finaly got our own sections..
    [XBOX] - Malvious - Oathbound Paladin
  • Options
    moonskin666moonskin666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What did you study magic from? Toilet paper?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    numpadic wrote: »
    Cmon, are you kidding me? We weild the power of arcane and ice and i dont see where books came from, like give us somenthing more serious

*the mage, flipping through an enormous tome filled with ancient magical texts and secrets, glances at the parchment and his eyes widen*

. . . . . It is well known through out history that mages have an affliction towards lore, knowledge and ancient spells and secrets. The greatest building in all of Faerun, to most mages and arcane seekers of the Realms, is a Library. It is called Candlekeep. I feel the name for this hall is quite fitting.
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Library makes sense. In very early D&D you only learned arcane spells through books, reading, and penning spells. While not all arcane casters require this in newer editions I'm sure they must study. Lore and knowledge are the vitamins of the mage.

"Elemental pwnage Dude!" was going to be my second choice though. :p
  • Options
    tadachetadache Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Absolutely agree with the name. It's the perfect choice for wizards. But then again, I'm old school when it comes to D&D. :p
  • Options
    spazzenspazzen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP

You do understand that to be able to cast spells you have to study A LOT right? Though you are gifted with the talent to become a magician it's not like you magically (huh huh) can spellcraft when you are a child, you have to learn first. And we are not talking about learning just to be able to cast the spells, to cast spells without inflicting serious damage or killing yourself takes not only a lot of concentration (D&D feat) but it also takes a lot of studying (hence Library/Books). Like they say in Baldurs Gate: "- Wisdom is only possessed by the learned".

Magicians in old stories, games etc was always the ones who were more intelligent and had a higher learning ability then all others. This might not seem much today when almost everyone attend to university and achieves diplomas and whatnot but do keep in mind that D&D is based around medieval history.
    Most ppl could not read and could not write. Those who were proficent in swordskills often became military and those who had to steal to survive the day became thieves. Magicians is thus the "elite" if you will because they are one of the few chosen that can not only read and right but also spends most of their time with their nose in books, having a high knowledge of the world and the people in it and ofc its history.

Education is what drives the society forward so don't underestimate the name "The Library". If anything you should be proud but I guess you are from the late WoW generation where magic is as deep and lorebound as watching the Teletubbies go at it on saturdays.