test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Y coordinate keeps changing

mortisperpetuamortisperpetua Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Has anyone else seen this (and figured out how to get around it). I was working through the guide in this forum, creating the quests within as I went along to figure it out. As I did that, I would run the story to see what happened, change something, run the story again, etc. I became frustrated that when I entered the room with a planned encounter, sometimes there were creatures there, sometimes there weren't (but the blue circle always showed on the mini-map). I tried just going in a few times in a row with no changes, and the same thing happened (although once they disappeared, they never came back). Finally, I just tried the map itself to see what was going on and I discovered that the Y coordinate increased each time I went it. While standing in the exact same spot in the room (x,z coordinates unchanged), the first time my Y coord was 20, the second time it was 120, the third over 200, and up and up it went each time I entered the room (but not always by the same amount).

Anyone else seen this? Makes it pretty much impossible to set up a good quest if the pieces keep randomly moving around on me.

Thanks
Post edited by mortisperpetua on

Comments

• boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I noticed stuff similar. Every so often a mob or two will not be where I plan for them to be at. I even place them manually with the details in layer 2. However, the game will still SOMETIMES randomly spawn them anywhere in that circle.

First, it is still beta. I am sure the foundry placement location is not 100% accurate and (hopefully) should be addressed soon. There has been some textures that I move, and they do not move correctly, and i have to enter the X, Y, and Z coordinates manually to make a fine adjustment. For instance, I had a house i wanted that meshed perfectly with a fence I created. The house was facing due north (the main door on the house was facing north). On the map, it looked perfect - but when I loaded the game up... the house was about 30 degrees - the main door was facing north east. I loaded up the foundry and the map shows the main house door facing due north. I loaded up the game... and the house and the door is facing north east. I had to manually rotate the house using set numbers. Oddly, the house on the foundry map looked like it was facing north west... but when I loaded up the game and a friend who played it... it was facing due north. It is farm from perfect - but it is a beta and will get better, I hope.

Second, assume the mobs can be ANYWHERE in that circle. If a portion of that circle is in a different room... sometimes a mob may spawn in that other room. I noticed this early, and I avoided small narrow areas for spawns as a result. The outdoors seem much better - not perfect - but better. Even outdoors, I had mobs spawn under map generated rocks before. WTF I did not place them rocks there... why are they spawning INSIDE or UNDER that rock? (see the first reason)
  • archmageilmrynarchmageilmryn Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've had similar problems trying to place mobs on top of a floating airship. The mobs would be in place when testing, but when I actually played the map the mobs would spawn below the airship and fall down, making them unreachable.
  • mortisperpetuamortisperpetua Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Beta is what beta will be, so I'm not sweating it - just wanted to be sure I wasn't the only one seeing it.

The interesting part is that my problem seems to be the opposite - the room itself was changing elevation - I suspect the mobs were right were they were supposed to be, but the room had suddenly increased in altitude by a couple hundred feet. Strange.

Nonetheless, tonight I didn't have any such problems (of course, I redid the map to be all on 1 floor, so I don't know if that plays into it).