test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dear Perfect World/Cryptic. Can we have an official response?

doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Dear Perfect World / Cryptic,

Over the past few days there have been many foundry missions applied, which allows player to kill ogres and other creatures to gain fast and easy experience without the risk of being injured/killed.

Now those people are using the tools that you provided them to make these foundries and people are entering them to level up alt characters quickly. Recently there are some users appearing in these forums claiming they have been banned for going into those foundry missions and those who have created them. I can understand that you may want to make dummy accounts to try and scare people into not using them or people are just making things up to try and scare people into the risk of being banned (it happens in most MMOs out there).

Anyway I know many of us want an official response as to if we can use these foundry missions that are there and are within the tools you provided the community to make.

If you don't want people to use them, then say so. Don't just sit back saying nothing and if you are temp banning/full banning people without even informing the community as a whole to not use those missions if they don't want to be affected by possible suspensions.

Also dear volunteer moderator team, we understand you are wanting to help, but we can't rely on your personal opinion at this very moment in time, but we do appreciate the help you provide to the community.

Regards,
Doowie
60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
60 Drow Trickster Rogue
11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
Beholder
Guild:
Praetor Lupus
Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
Post edited by doowie1982 on

Comments

• clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Maybe they should just make a blanket announcement and say "use some common sense". It not that hard to realize if u are mass killing mobs taht cannot fight back then it is an exploit.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ROFL , I been cheating but I need an official response to tell me I'm cheating .
  • ravenmark#2240 ravenmark Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nah, this is a good post. Been wondering about that myself.
    Good Post, and like to hear a answer on it. Maybe something about limitation in foundry concerning drops?
  • lucidp2klucidp2k Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    clurdge wrote: »
    Maybe they should just make a blanket announcement and say "use some common sense". It not that hard to realize if u are mass killing mobs taht cannot fight back then it is an exploit.

While I agree that using the Foundry in this manner is cheap, and probably should be fixed... it is not in fact an "exploit". People are using the mechanics of the foundry in a manner that was not expected, but they are not breaking any of the mechanics themselves, thus, not an exploit. Now if they were in some way modifying the core code, or doing something along the lines of memory manipulation or packet injection, that'd be an exploit.

It'd behoove this community to understand the difference.
    gwhEUci.png
    Spend less time complaining about shop prices and more time improving your salary.
  • gravityx19gravityx19 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    Its common sense, if you are abusing the game against mobs that cant fight back you are doing something wrong... Go experience the game the way it was meant to be played, not shooting fish in a barrel.
    Griff Hawk - Hybrid GF - Beholder Shard
    Griffeth - GW Fighter - Beholder Shard
    Twitch - WoW and NWO Gameplay - YouTube Channel
    GF/GWF Gameplay Highlights/Dungeon Runs
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    ROFL , I been cheating but I need an official response to tell me I'm cheating .

Yes I have used some of those foundry missions to help boost up my Rogue a bit, but I don't regret it. If I get a suspension then I'll take it and avoid using them again. However; this thread is not about me, but a request to the developers to provide an official response to the situation as there is a lot of mixed reports and I unfortunately have a hard time believing the community who are confirming that they've been banned/suspended.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
  • luciferstwinluciferstwin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    doowie1982 wrote: »
    Dear Perfect World / Cryptic,

Over the past few days there have been many foundry missions applied, which allows player to kill ogres and other creatures to gain fast and easy experience without the risk of being injured/killed.

Now those people are using the tools that you provided them to make these foundries and people are entering them to level up alt characters quickly. Recently there are some users appearing in these forums claiming they have been banned for going into those foundry missions and those who have created them. I can understand that you may want to make dummy accounts to try and scare people into not using them or people are just making things up to try and scare people into the risk of being banned (it happens in most MMOs out there).

Anyway I know many of us want an official response as to if we can use these foundry missions that are there and are within the tools you provided the community to make.

If you don't want people to use them, then say so. Don't just sit back saying nothing and if you are temp banning/full banning people without even informing the community as a whole to not use those missions if they don't want to be affected by possible suspensions.

Also dear volunteer moderator team, we understand you are wanting to help, but we can't rely on your personal opinion at this very moment in time, but we do appreciate the help you provide to the community.

Regards,
    Doowie

Na they would rather just secretly suspend you and then not send you a email or anything letting you know for how long..... This whole "suspend players for using something they put in the game" is the reason I will not be buying founders like I had planned on doing so today. My map wasn't even one like mentioned.... it was a giant field with 100 hulks in it that were able to attack you and not be held in by walls or anything, and I still got suspended with no email or anything.
    edited May 2013
    lucidp2k wrote: »
    While I agree that using the Foundry in this manner is cheap, and probably should be fixed... it is not in fact an "exploit". People are using the mechanics of the foundry in a manner that was not expected, but they are not breaking any of the mechanics themselves, thus, not an exploit. Now if they were in some way modifying the core code, or doing something along the lines of memory manipulation or packet injection, that'd be an exploit.

Are you on the 2 pit crew ? They decide what is an exploit not you . You honestly think making an dungeon where the mobs cant fight back is within the spirit of the game ?
  • cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Who are you trying to kid here?

Of course these are exploits...Cheaters never win and do not cry when you get banned for it. Not that you honestly need too, i mean the level speed in this game already too fast. I am amazed the devs never increased the exp to level. I mean as it is if you do all the content at level and only do the story line you will still out level the quests, the seals, and still make 60 in a week before even coming close to finishing the story.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Dead wrong. It's an exploit - players using the mechanics of the game to achieve unexpected results is an exploit.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • lucidp2klucidp2k Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Dead wrong. It's an exploit - players using the mechanics of the game to achieve unexpected results is an exploit.

Well, I'm sure that's how you'll see it. From the view of network security professionals, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    gwhEUci.png
    Spend less time complaining about shop prices and more time improving your salary.
    edited May 2013

Actually, you are wrong. The definition of exploit is "to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage" )http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exploit) The maps that have the mobs roaming free like mine did, is not an exploit because there is nothing there but 100 mobs . The maps that have the mobs glitched out so they cant attack, that is an still not considered an exploit because for it to be an exploit, no one else would be able to benefit from it, thus why it says "for ones own". Everyone was able to use the maps, and they did.
  • stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    I am amazed the devs never increased the exp to level. I mean as it is if you do all the content at level and only do the story line you will still out level the quests, the seals, and still make 60 in a week before even coming close to finishing the story.

It's because there is actually not a lot of content to dive in compared to other mmos. Level faster = less quests developers have to write
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
    edited May 2013
    The maps that have the mobs glitched out so they cant attack, that is an still not considered an exploit because for it to be an exploit, no one else would be able to benefit from it, thus why it says "for ones own". Everyone was able to use the maps, and they did.

ROFL . Wrong is wrong , part of life is learning that. This morning I was reading about teenagers getting arrested for terrorism threats and I just couldn't figure out how the heck that could happen . Maybe we need to start teaching ethics in elementary school .
    edited May 2013
    ROFL . Wrong is wrong , part of life is learning that. This morning I was reading about teenagers getting arrested for terrorism threats and I just couldn't figure out how the heck that could happen . Maybe we need to start teaching ethics in elementary school .

So your telling me that it would be ok for me to go out in the game world and gather up 20-30 mobs and aoe them down, but not make an easy accessible map to do the same thing? Sounds pretty hypocritical to me.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, you are wrong. The definition of exploit is "to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage" )http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exploit) The maps that have the mobs roaming free like mine did, is not an exploit because there is nothing there but 100 mobs . The maps that have the mobs glitched out so they cant attack, that is an still not considered an exploit because for it to be an exploit, no one else would be able to benefit from it, thus why it says "for ones own". Everyone was able to use the maps, and they did.

Ooo, rules lawyer.

Exploit has a technical definition in the context of MMOs. But you knew that. So quoting an online dictionary means nothing.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2013
    My advice: report anyone you see wearing the "Ogre Slayer" title for exploitation and ban.
    edited May 2013
    Ooo, rules lawyer.

Exploit has a technical definition in the context of MMOs. But you knew that. So quoting an online dictionary means nothing.

"An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers" Better? Still doesnt mean that Aoeing mobs that are freely able to attack you back is an exploit. So pretty much PWE is saying.... You can aoe mobs out in the game world, but if you make a map in foundry to do it, we will ban you...
    edited May 2013
    So your telling me that it would be ok for me to go out in the game world and gather up 20-30 mobs and aoe them down, but not make an easy accessible map to do the same thing? Sounds pretty hypocritical to me.

That is NOT what they are doing . They are putting mobs behind traps and barrels so they cant move . Then they AoE them down .
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Keep telling yourself this. Once you get a clue as to what "Spirit of the Game" and "Sportsmanship" are, then we can further the discussion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Report the foundry mission if you come across one like this.
    edited May 2013
    That is NOT what they are doing . They are putting mobs behind traps and barrels so they cant move . Then they AoE them down .

Yes, because everyone is the same right? You must have selective reading, because im pretty sure that I stated "The maps that have the mobs roaming free like mine did, is not an exploit because there is nothing there but 100 mobs". L2fullyreadbeforemakingyourselflookstupid
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I'm sure that's how you'll see it. From the view of network security professionals, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'll bet this is why we have so little respect and confidence in our field from the rest of the world. You empty the wastebaskets for Walmart's server techs? Any company knowingly employing you with your ethics subset couldn't possibly be pro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • zerodin1zerodin1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't know about you guys, but I can definitely tell you I am one person that will be quitting the game if this doesn't get fixed. I don't play games where people cheat to get ahead. I like the sense of accomplishment that matters and makes me feel good when I play a game. If I don't feel that then the game is dead and I'll play a different game. I liked Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2, but you could get items and duping through console commands so I quit. I'll quit this game game if it doesn't get fixed soon. Glad I saw this thread before I put 50 dollars down and will be telling my friends.
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

PW has issued a post in another thread stating that the mechanic to "stack" was altered to allow more NPCs then usual and that it was an exploit. You can continue to disagree but you would be wrong
    edited May 2013
    zerodin1 wrote: »
    Don't know about you guys, but I can definitely tell you I am one person that will be quitting the game if this doesn't get fixed. I don't play games where people cheat to get ahead. I like the sense of accomplishment that matters and makes me feel good when I play a game. If I don't feel that then the game is dead and I'll play a different game. I liked Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2, but you could get items and duping through console commands so I quit. I'll quit this game game if it doesn't get fixed soon. Glad I saw this thread before I put 50 dollars down and will be telling my friends.

Can I haz your stuff?
    edited May 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    PW has issued a post in another thread stating that the mechanic to "stack" was altered to allow more NPCs then usual and that it was an exploit. You can continue to disagree but you would be wrong

Link to that thread so I can go yell at them for suspending me for not exploiting it?
  • toris1toris1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

An exploit can also be, to use game mechanics in a manner not intended to make game content trivial.
    Like say stacking up a bunch of mobs so that they can't move and won't evade and aoeing them down.

A similar example would be the WoW Leviathan exploit, in which 2 people placed just so would make the encounter trivial by keeping positions exactly out of range of the enemy boss, by abusing that its target swapping mechanic did not work properly with 2 enemies. A bunch of people got their loot taken away and their accounts banned for that exploit.
  • jdk2011jdk2011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    Who are you trying to kid here?

Of course these are exploits...Cheaters never win

Is this your first online game? Bots are taking over. Its skynet all over again.
    edited May 2013
    I'll bet this is why we have so little respect and confidence in our field from the rest of the world. You empty the wastebaskets for Walmart's server techs? Any company knowingly employing you with your ethics subset couldn't possibly be pro.

I was defining the difference, not condoning it. Though judging you from your response, I'll assume you're an administrator of some sort ( Be it server or network ). You're seething with holier than thou, as are most of your kind.
    gwhEUci.png