test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Post release foundry wishes

13»

Comments

• zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think there shouldn't be 'bosses' like in the official quests and dungeons.

The foundry is something to tell stories and not to gain experience or loot... in my opinion. Otherwise we end up with all quests like 'Training Grounds'? A Room and tons of monsters to kill for loot.

Then the next player complains, there is too much loot in foundry quests because every second monster is a boss- or subboss-monster.

Every second monster is a subboss or boss-monster because this makes the quest 'harder' and more combat related.

Why not have normal quests like the official ones with trash-mobs on the way and in the end a group with one Main werewolf. There is this werewolf group, which I used, it comes completely equipped with a tougher berserker and a tougher mage + 3-4 minions. This could be the end of the quest?
  • ancillaryancillary Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    The foundry is something to tell stories and not to gain experience or loot... in my opinion. Otherwise we end up with all quests like 'Training Grounds'? A Room and tons of monsters to kill for loot.

And this is a perfectly legitimate way to play the game, in my opinion. Is there any reason why storyline quests cannot exist alongside dungeon quests?

I happen to take a great deal of pleasure in designing encounters and dungeons, and the fact that many people are playing this game is a testament to a similar desire to play through challenging encounters and dungeons. Currently, I'm very limited in terms of what sort of "boss" creatures I can create, and this overall reduces the challenge of the dungeons. It's not unbearable, but it is restrictive, and I would like nothing more than to be able to create boss creatures that I can set the atomic states of in order to create something interesting and dynamic.

I frankly believe that we must disabuse ourselves of the notion of farming somehow being "the wrong way" to play the game. It's a perfectly legitimate playstyle, and repeated attempts to curb its use in custom content like this tends to harm the non-farm maps far more than the farm maps. Right up until the end of the City of Heroes franchise, the custom content engine was still a haven for farmers, which is fine. It didn't prevent truly deserving missions (like "Blight") from making their way to the top of the list and staying there.
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ancillary wrote: »
    And this is a perfectly legitimate way to play the game, in my opinion. Is there any reason why storyline quests cannot exist alongside dungeon quests?

I happen to take a great deal of pleasure in designing encounters and dungeons, and the fact that many people are playing this game is a testament to a similar desire to play through challenging encounters and dungeons. Currently, I'm very limited in terms of what sort of "boss" creatures I can create, and this overall reduces the challenge of the dungeons. It's not unbearable, but it is restrictive, and I would like nothing more than to be able to create boss creatures that I can set the atomic states of in order to create something interesting and dynamic.

I frankly believe that we must disabuse ourselves of the notion of farming somehow being "the wrong way" to play the game. It's a perfectly legitimate playstyle, and repeated attempts to curb its use in custom content like this tends to harm the non-farm maps far more than the farm maps. Right up until the end of the City of Heroes franchise, the custom content engine was still a haven for farmers, which is fine. It didn't prevent truly deserving missions (like "Blight") from making their way to the top of the list and staying there.

It is OK with me to create such quests as long as they are advertised this way :)

Most quests at the moment:
    1. talk to an NPC at the beginning of a dungeon
    2. fight 3-4 subboss-monsters to get 100m further
    3. talk to the same or another NPC
    2. fight 3-4 subboss-monsters to get 100m further
    3. talk to the same or another NPC

There are really great exceptions, like in the 'Beans Revenge' quests, which I totally like:
    1. talk to an NPC (cute little Bean and I am a dwarf too)
    2. explore the way, check here and there for hidden doors and NPC (I didn't follow the glowing path but turned left, just to head back and follow the trail again)
    3. rescue/help other dwarfs to gather a party (still no subboss-monsters but hell of fun)
    4. kill a normal group of subboss-monsters together with the party of NPC

If they get dragons, the quests look like this:
    1. talk to NPC
    2. kill 3-4 dragons to get 100m further
    3. ...
  • ancillaryancillary Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Again, I'm not certain why the game should try and exclude a playstyle (or at least see it as being negative) that's focused on combat above all others, especially when the game as advertised is heavy on combat. I'd love a gauntlet of dragons, for example.
  • gertiploissgertiploiss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    That's as if saying that bosses have never been part of an integral role in D&D. They sure have, else I've been playing the wrong game for far too long! It's a mixture of design and story, not just a matter of making a fight seem important. The end of a quest or dungeon should be harder than the beginning. Going to slay the Pirate King or whomever should feel satisfying to play because of the trials and tribulations before it.

Personally, for bosses, we just need a set of simple scripts. People can work wonders with even base elements. Look at Minecraft, for example. In-built script system has allowed for a completely new direction in how modders handle combat. One of my ideas was to emphasize diverse group composition by having things which rogues are specifically designed to take care of, as well as guardian fighters, wizards, etc. In order to create more dynamic play, we need more access to the NPC control than placing and routing. Sure, at times the actual game is no more complicated than that, but the tougher fights really are the highlight of this game. Allow us to help elongate the game by extending the range of things that can be done with it. We don't want the Foundry to cap off so early.
  • unhodinunhodin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dwarven built/themed rooms for indoor quests/dungeons. I know they exists (ala Gauntlgrym and the the dungeons found there). I'm sick of filling a royal crypt with dwarven props to make dwarven halls.
  • nezroy123nezroy123 Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ancillary wrote: »
    Again, I'm not certain why the game should try and exclude a playstyle (or at least see it as being negative)

Couldn't agree more with this sentiment. The Foundry should enable the creation of all types of content. The whole point is that a variety of creators can create a variety of content that appeals to a variety of people :)

Adding better features for boss fights, even simple ones, would do nothing but expand the possibilities.

Also, zage, don't forget that just because boss features might be added for one purpose does not mean you won't be able to creatively manipulate it to some completely different purpose to provide an awesome, completely non-boss piece to whatever content you prefer to create.
    Quests: Fate of the Bonnie Kate (NW-DE6K6H63Q)
  • darkenedeye1fdarkenedeye1f Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Boss creation
    Boss creation
    Boss creation

oh and

More mobs to select from
    More customisation / reskinning options for mobs - including more animal types
  • nezroy123nezroy123 Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally, for bosses, we just need a set of simple scripts. People can work wonders with even base elements. Look at Minecraft, for example. In-built script system has allowed for a completely new direction in how modders handle combat.

While this would be awesome, I hesitate to spend too much time focusing on things that represent significant changes to the toolkit. I think we need to be providing very specific, small, focused feedback about incremental improvements that can give us what we need for boss fights RIGHT NOW.

Crucially, I think we need to emphasize that we would be happy with SIMPLE changes, even if they are theoretically non-optimal. In classic dev mentality there are only three numbers; 0, 1, and N. We want to make sure Cryptic understands that we are happy starting with solutions living at 1, we don't need N... i.e. we don't need completely generic solutions up front.

Here are some examples of simple, specific point changes we could use. All of these changes are independent and could be done one at a time. I realize that under the hood, some of these so-called "simple" changes may in fact be very complex, but that's not the point. The point is to identify specific, concrete, independent wins for us that cryptic can start picking from, not nebulous "we need scripting" statements that are impossibly broad.

* adding a feature in the encounter search/filter that lets us filter by the number of mobs, or at least lets us filter between "one mob" and "more than one mob"

* ensuring that all the encounter group types (undead, spider, etc.) have at least one single-mob normal melee encounter and one single-mob normal ranged encounter, so that in the worst case we can build up fights from single mobs

* adding to at least some of the encounter group types (ideally all of them, but even just a few would be a nice start) a new single-mob "VERY HARD" encounter type that copies one of the existing ability sets/mob behaviors from that group type, but has the "spiky silver star" nameplate/health amount (the nameplate/health style of those big ogre mobs scattered around the tower district, can't recall their name) -- e.g. one example would be an "undead pirate - ranged - very hard" encounter with a single mob based on the undead hexer, but which has the extra health/nameplate style of the tower ogres

* adding a flag to an encounter group so that the health/nameplate is changed to the boss style seen in mini-dungeons, with the health meter shown across the top of the screen and the boss nameplate on the mob

* augmenting the previously mentioned flag to actually give the encounter extra health

* an extra field for an encounter that lets us pick a single "special ability" from a predefined list, which adds that ability to those already being used by the encounter

* adding new "appear when" conditions that are health based; e.g. appear when "encounter at <50% health", and you select an encounter as the component; 25%, 50%, and 75% would be super handy starting points; this would let us spawn fx, other mobs, NPCs, items, etc. at various points in a fight
    Quests: Fate of the Bonnie Kate (NW-DE6K6H63Q)
  • nogaruknogaruk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now that I've had a chance to play around with the foundry since OB went live I figure this is the best spot to go over what I'd like to see in the future too. Most of what the OP said would be nice, but there are a few things I think I'd like to see first.

Forums:
    - A stickied thread for editor suggestions

- A sub section specific to editor questions so they aren't tangled up with all the review threads or quest/story content

Editor:
    - An offline mode. This is probably one of the biggest ones. I understand they want to be able to prevent people from modding/hacking the editor and content that gets put into the game, but I don't see why they can't allow for a separate server for foundry or a way for the engine to check the data being uploaded without the need to stay logged in.

- Cinematics! I was astonished that there seems to be nothing in the editor to achieve this. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas, but I'm just not seeing it yet.

- Voice-overs. A way for us to be able to add in our own custom sound files for dialogues. It could make us record them directly in the editor or allow us to choose sound files on our machine for import into the editor.

- An asset library for maps, costumes, anything we are allowed to import into the editor (like the sound files), and preferably even dialogue trees. This library at the least would be accessible from any quest/campaign we are working in. So if we make a map that we don't want to have to completely remake from scratch we could just drag or select it from our library. This could be extended to allow for other things as well, such as, custom encounters, objectives, etc.

- A free-cam mode in the 3d editor portion where you can move the camera while moving objects around and move the camera anywhere in the play space instead of being tethered to the char's view.

- Multi-level building options. An example way of doing this would be to have rooms without ceilings or ones that, like the door generation, will remove the ceiling when another room is positioned above it and allow you to pick where the opening is (much the same way the doors currently allow you to).

- Health based objectives. An objective that allows you to set a health percentage component that will "trigger" another action. With multiples of these being allowed. The same as you can add components with "AND" checks, in this case they would be "OR" checks.

- Timer based objectives. Like in the spellplague quest line where you have to interact with the guards wife to give her a position before she turns.

- Waypoint's that can be triggered by npc's instead of just you. An example for this would be when you make a one-way patrolling npc and want something to happen when they finish the patrol path. A waypoint trigger that npc's can cause to activate would allow for this as well as plenty of other scenarios.

- NPC's that you can make non-hostile to encounters so we don't have to eat up our npc budgets by making a workaround of having multiple versions that we enable/disable. There are other similar things to this that would be a nice change like making npc's into encounters or vise versa, but we could probably live with some budget eating for now dealing with the workarounds for those ones.

- Movers. Allow us to be able to make objects rotate and translate across defined paths. The patrol nodes might even work for setting the translation of it.

- Scaling in 3d edit mode.

- Custom objectives with light scripting ability.

- Custom encounters. Simple editing via selecting enemy type (listed with what type of attacks they do), number of enemies in the encounter that with scale according to the difficulty set for the encounter. A check-box to turn it into a boss encounter which would add the appropriate health bar and stat increases. An ability drop down to select specific additional abilities the enemies in the encounter can have.
  • darkenedeye1fdarkenedeye1f Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Foundry quest tags.
    A forum for Foundry ugc feedback separate from editor questions / help.
    And far more mob options at least for customisation.
    Offline save
  • silathelsilathel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    More and different type of mobs available as standard.

Ability to scale mobs, eg make a certain mob bigger for boss "encounter"

In fact ability to scale pretty much anything - eg "Alice in Wonderland" -esque

Increased resources for Guardian/Ambush Nodes etc
  • sabo630sabo630 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    A delay timer for triggers (x event triggers 1 second after)
    triggers able to trigger other triggers. (lol sorry couldnt word it any better)
    non linear elements to the story (like optional NPC dialogs) ?
    light controls for each room (slider based) (0 = darkest)
    a way to save individual room set ups, that can later be used to populate the same room types
    ability to place loot chests that reward players based on how many monsters they killed since the last chest. (placing too many would produce empty chests)
    built in trigger + drop actions to mobs ( kill mob drop item X, mob aggro triggers X event, Mob killed triggers Y event)
    built in sound actions to npc/mobs, mob agroed, play X sound, mob hurt play Y sound)
    Ability to have an NPC follow and fight with the player, till it dies or X event is triggered
    Ability to open existing pre-made maps to investigate them
    3d scale objects
  • sithepssitheps Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fix visibility!
    First everything works perfectly, FX and objects ONLY appear when player have an Item, then SUDDENLY(With no changes to item qualities or object qualities) it doesent work anymore, it worked before but then suddenly all FX activate when map loads, and dont do anything once player have the item. The objects are visible constantly and are no longer hidden..

This is a very annoying issue that I find no solution to. I've even tried to reset items/FX qualities/settings to defoult with 0 progress..

Atm this problem ruind 80% of my quest that I've spent many houers on..

Also the ability to fly when you place objects in 3rd person, placing things high up is a nightmare..
  • top8top8 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Things that are needed badly:

Moving objects like gates that raise or wheels that turn etc.
    Ability to place treasure chests.
    Better way to work in a 3d space like multiple floors.
    Bosses
    merchants
    dm text that preferably shows up in the middle of the screen
    Be able to script more event triggers. like something that happens when a mob reaches a certain health % etc.
    Filters for the beta review section of the foundry quest list.
  • codetoastcodetoast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ability checks is a must for campaigns. I was hoping to be able to have competitions with npcs, like arm wrestling a guy with a strength check for information or a quest objective.
    Also, I would like it to be easier to do puzzle type objectives, like a player must move a boulder over an area to depress a switch and open a door.
  • subrulersubruler Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It would be amazing if we could pop in some dice rolling into dialogue options or when interacting with some objects.

For example - Door is closed
    Option 1 - leave it alone
    Option 2 - Knock
    Option 3 - Bash it in (diff : 20str)

Would make for a much more D&D type of experience

Edit: Well yeah, ability checks like that guy before me said :)
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    codetoast wrote: »
    Ability checks is a must for campaigns.
    With the ability score generation method Cryptic currently uses, ability checks are functionally just class checks. Even assuming I'd want my wizard to be, my wizard can never be as strong as even a level 1 fighter. So you can simply add class checking, which the Foundry can do via checking for the Dungeoneering/Arcana/etc skill as desired.
  • nachinekonachineko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Custom encounters: Variable slots based on encounter difficulty (X minions, Y standard, Z mini-boss) linked to the NPC repository with generic ability templates.

Bosses: See above, with additional ability slots and HP-based triggers for special events/abilities.

Triggers: Dialogue options that alter NPC behaviour (make hostile, etc.)
  • staalkbhstaalkbh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's a small list, might have more stuff coming but for now.

1. Boss Encounters like so many have said :D
    2. Scalable Objects.
    3. Allow me to move EVERYTHING when I am in 3D edit mode, including NPC's, can be hard to line them up.
    4. Skyfade for Outdoors which have a bigger radius, using Indoor Skyfades outside can cause places on the map to "light up" Also include some VERY light black options for Skyfade, so we can maintain a very nightlike look but not pitch dark.
    5. More customization on Costumes, IE beards, more Costume pieces not just armor.
    6. More maps, more variation, IE building more floors etc.
    7. More FX, Moving FX like fireballs, poison clouds etc, anything which can path for a longer stretch, also scalable.
    8. Branching Quests!!
    9. Timing emotes, Example: I have a man flexing, but it's not looping, But I want him to do it from time to time, so make a timer for the emote to reset or something, so like every 10 second he would start flexing. Instead of having to use tons of triggers.
    10. Custom Maps limits can be quite low, especially the blank ones, building up a full map with trees, houses, grass, crops etc, quickly uses up the 1500 limit, higher limit for these blank maps would be appreciated.

I most likely have more things, but atm these are the important ones for me, with the amount of time I spend in Foundry there are some things which makes it a pain, but I still have lots of fun trying to find ways around it.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Me, I want collaborative editing. I want freecamera in 3-d edit mode. I want to be able to store and verify variables. I want to be able to write divergent plot paths. I can live without scripting, if the in-toolset tools give me enough options. Increase the number of events that fire triggers, and increase the number of objects that can listen for those events.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]