test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OP pay to win starter weapon, did you use it?

norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
For those that paid, you get a level 15 weapon to start out after hitting NW city.

I did not pay much attention to what was bought (my wife bought this game for both of us on a whim) and played my first couple of characters to level 10 without it (I restarted several times to get a feel for the game and classes). And the levels were fairly difficult with the low DPS, very difficult against the 2-3 "tougher mob" pull (like enforcer, hexer, and 5 goons type pulls, or later "constantly spawn adds" bosses).

How many actually played 1-15 with the available weapons (not the pay to win item) ?? Is this related to the comments that "after 20 it gets harder" because people finally have to play with an on-level dps rating? I found that not using the weapon, the game stays at a pretty consistent difficulty.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• negnarlodennegnarloden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Played till lvl 60, up to 35 without foundry. Only the last 2 zones -> whispering caverns and the one b4 were of any threat to me tbh. till lvl 35 its just straight up easy without paying anything aswell.
  • vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is easy to get to level 15 with or with the weapon and it is not a pay to win weapon. Try using it at endgame and see if it is still OP. It is a leveling weapon and that is all.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Played till lvl 60, up to 35 without foundry. Only the last 2 zones -> whispering caverns and the one b4 were of any threat to me tbh. till lvl 35 its just straight up easy without paying anything aswell.

Yea mind flayers are a *****. Least they got that right :P
  • daxx360daxx360 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't had access to these. But a few of my friends have, and it seriously makes life easier for them. Most of the time they don't swap that weapon out until mid twenties. Though I have to admit the game does have an increase in difficulty with each new zone, I found it most noticeable around 30ish. Though I have been playing with the standard drop weapons. While some of my friend that have been using their Guardian and HorN weapons seem to "feel" the shift a little earlier in their twenties.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That was not my point, obviously green drop junk weapons are better by level 16/17 or so. The question was if people found the "20 gets harder" to exist without it, or if it was an artifact of inflated starter dps.

And yes, it is a pay to win item. For real money you get to power level all your characters. It is not a bad thing, but real (not cosmetic or consumable) items for money is what pay to win means.
  • negnarlodennegnarloden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, i would really say its not p2w item... since it helps you mostly with the normal content, and without any of that you can still get to lvl 60 from 10 in 6hrs in foundry. So with that in mind it rly isn't p2w in that matter (doesn't mean there aren't any other p2w things in this game couse there are).
  • gameramelligameramelli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I am still using my blue after hitting 21, though I don't know how much further I will go with it until I swap it out.

But I've mainly kept it so far because the tool tips still suggest it's the 'recommended' weapon over others that I have received (even if the greens I get have better dps, NW tells me my blue is 'recommended' because it has more stats), and I want to see how long it states that as I progress, more out of curiosity of how well the 'recommended' system works.
    19.jpg
  • mightyqu1nnmightyqu1nn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Well, i would really say its not p2w item... since it helps you mostly with the normal content, and without any of that you can still get to lvl 60 from 10 in 6hrs in foundry. So with that in mind it rly isn't p2w in that matter (doesn't mean there aren't any other p2w things in this game couse there are).

In my personal opinion people who are exploiting the foundry to power level their way to endgame content are completely missing the point. The prevailing attitude now a days in these game is rush rush rush to endgame then complain.
    Do not interfere in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup...
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    That was not my point, obviously green drop junk weapons are better by level 16/17 or so. The question was if people found the "20 gets harder" to exist without it, or if it was an artifact of inflated starter dps.

And yes, it is a pay to win item. For real money you get to power level all your characters. It is not a bad thing, but real (not cosmetic or consumable) items for money is what pay to win means.

P2W only exists when the gameplay of a player directly affects the other player's enjoyment of the game. The only time that happens is in PvP. Someone power leveling in a game with something they bought does not affect your enjoyment of the game, at least it shouldn't. Why should you care how fast someone levels up?
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Again it is not pay to win since it is worthless at endgame. It is just a helper weapon that you out grow in your late teens. I think players need to really think what pay to win really means.....it means you cannot pass a certain point without X item IE you are locked out unless you spend real money. The only thing close to a pay to win in this game are the nightmare lockboxes which you have to buy keys for.
  • xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Played several characters during closed beta weekends without founder's items. Was not hard, and was pleased to breeze through same quests this time to get fast on something I hadn't experience before...
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

What exactly did you 'win'? Getting through the first 20 levels of a 60 level game easier?

This bothers you why again?

FYI most of the founders bought the pack for more than that weapon - in fact I wasn't even aware of its existence when I purchased mine.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That is fine if some of you want to define P2W differently than I do. Again, to me, anything not consumed or cosmetic or other(like bank space) is pay to win (here, then, weapons and armor and enchantments etc would be pay to win). Regardless of level. $ to in game currency to buy the best stuff also counts -- PWE is their own gold sellers, something normally banned/frowned upon in MMOS... (coming from Diablo 3, this also does not bother me, it works out in the end though the wealthy do get ahead sooner).

You can pvp with it at the lower levels, you can pvp by level 10 I think (?). That would be an (minor) issue but certainly rough for the free to play folks.

I found the higher dps 16-17 items better than the blue's stats, personally. The "recommended" gear label is useless -- it is too basic and ignores class. Best I can tell it adds up the "points" an item has and "recommends" the highest total. Even if it recommends your rogue to swap out 250 points of crit and armor pen to get 300 points of regeneration or something....... need more AI in the recommended logic.
    elyrielle wrote: »
    What exactly did you 'win'? Getting through the first 20 levels of a 60 level game easier?

This bothers you why again?

FYI most of the founders bought the pack for more than that weapon - in fact I wasn't even aware of its existence when I purchased mine.

It does not bother me at all. Pay to win is simply a description. I do not care why people bought their packs, that seems unrelated. Its a simple question really: was the "gets harder at 20-30" due to this item. That is all I am asking. I am not bothered by anything, merely curious.

What do you win? Time and low level pvp events being the 2 things here.
  • mightyqu1nnmightyqu1nn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    That is fine if some of you want to define P2W differently than I do. Again, to me, anything not consumed or cosmetic or other(like bank space) is pay to win (here, then, weapons and armor and enchantments etc would be pay to win). Regardless of level. $ to in game currency to buy the best stuff also counts -- PWE is their own gold sellers, something normally banned/frowned upon in MMOS...

You can pvp with it at the lower levels, you can pvp by level 10 I think (?). That would be an (minor) issue but certainly rough for the free to play folks.

I found the higher dps 16-17 items better than the blue's stats, personally. The "recommended" gear label is useless -- it is too basic and ignores class. Best I can tell it adds up the "points" an item has and "recommends" the highest total. Even if it recommends your rogue to swap out 250 points of crit and armor pen to get 300 points of regeneration or something....... need more AI in the recommended logic.

It does not bother me at all. Pay to win is simply a description. I do not care why people bought their packs, that seems unrelated. Its a simple question really: was the "gets harder at 20-30" due to this item. That is all I am asking. I am not bothered by anything, merely curious.

What do you win? Time and low level pvp events being the 2 things here.

I guess I would say its more of a PfC game? Pay for convenience. I don't really like the direction the industry seems to be going with this especially in regard to things like bank slots and inventory space, it seems like a slippery slope. However, these things are not required for you to progress in the game.
    Do not interfere in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup...
  • l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I use it until I have another weapon drop with better stats. For me usually around level 20 or so...
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think that I have always replaced it at or before level 20. If nothing better drops then the items sold by the vendors for gold in Seven Suns Coster are frequently better at level 20 I have found. (Does depend on what stats you are prioritizing obviously.)
  • cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Plenty of games have items that you can use in the start on all your characters that are worthless after a few levels, everything from weapons, armor and jewelry. Don't see why anyone would call this PTW since it is just a pre-order perk that is common in MMOs.
  • xdreeganxxdreeganx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh my god... I'm a Guardian! GG GUYS! I WON THE GAME!

Kidding. But on a serious note I really love the Greycloak weapon. Considering it was given to people who were given beta access, and on the pretense that those people actually used their beta time to the fullest (debatable), it really helps breezing through those early levels, especially when you're still coping with all of the changes and switched around powers and trees that Free to Play folks didn't have to get accustomed to.

I may love the game, but there's only so many times I can do the opening quests without just wishing there was an easy way to blow through it all. Thankfully, this comes just fine. As when the weapon is nearing it's final levels (going into lvl 20) it stops being an overpowered super weapon, and just another blue with pretty pimpin stats. This happens at around 16, depending on your build, tastes, and class. So even in a PvP Stand-point you're technically only given a REAL advantage if everyone on the enemy team is level 10, and so are you. Even then the power difference is negligible. And even without the weapon that bracket will get blown through so fast most players will barely notice it.

Pay to Win is a harsh term though. This game is far from Combat Arms standards, where someone can drop bills on an item that no one else can get (I.E Grenade Launcher), unless they pay up as well. Whereas in this game, as was said before, you're only really paying for convenience. And even then, the advantages are measured in inches, not feet.

But yeah, love it. Can't wait to see what it looks like on future classes!
    MQl1o52.png
    Arrows and Blades do not have names on them.
    They are addressed, "To whom it may concern.."
  • erppmanerppman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The one you get at lvl 60, is 100x more OP than the newbie one...

It's better than Tier 2.... :-D
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's not so much the weapon as it is the Greycloak's Legacy Rune that comes preinstalled into it. As for whether level 20 -ish becomes more difficult without it (using standard drops) - I thought so - at least with Bosses. As for general combat - it certainly is a LOT easier to level-up to about 25-30-ish with the Founder's fancy rune stone.

WHY was it given? I suspect because many of us have been playing the same 20 to 30 levels over, and over, and over, and over, and ove... - during all the beta weekends (and some of us in Alpha, etc) ... you get the idea. I think it's just a little something the Devs gave us to say "We know you're probably just this side of going nauseous at playing those levels. Here's a pill to help ease the pain."
    edited May 2013
    erppman wrote: »
    The one you get at lvl 60, is 100x more OP than the newbie one...

It's better than Tier 2.... :-D

Wasn't when I compared it for a wizard, it was between 1 and 2.
  • jaddaljaddal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For those that paid, you get a level 15 weapon to start out after hitting NW city.

I did not pay much attention to what was bought (my wife bought this game for both of us on a whim) and played my first couple of characters to level 10 without it (I restarted several times to get a feel for the game and classes). And the levels were fairly difficult with the low DPS, very difficult against the 2-3 "tougher mob" pull (like enforcer, hexer, and 5 goons type pulls, or later "constantly spawn adds" bosses).

How many actually played 1-15 with the available weapons (not the pay to win item) ?? Is this related to the comments that "after 20 it gets harder" because people finally have to play with an on-level dps rating? I found that not using the weapon, the game stays at a pretty consistent difficulty.
    My main/cleric didn't get the weapon because there was not founder pack for him; 1-15 was brutal.

My alt/guardian got the founder pack and went through mobs like a hot knife through soft butter. I didn't come across a better weapon until I was in my 20s.

tl;dr Yes there is a major difference.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes !
    but it does more harm then good , because I totally forgot to check for better weapons . Next thing I know I'm level 27 and cant kill anything ..opps using a level 15 weapon :( ROFL
    Now I check every weapon I loot . If you look its not much better then the level 10 blue you can buy when you first get to town .
  • zombiesxiiizombiesxiii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jaddal wrote: »
    My main/cleric didn't get the weapon because there was not founder pack for him; 1-15 was brutal.

My alt/guardian got the founder pack and went through mobs like a hot knife through soft butter. I didn't come across a better weapon until I was in my 20s.

tl;dr Yes there is a major difference.

O_o How? I have played BW2&3, got my cleric to 30. I have 2 cleric's in Open Beta (lvls 24 and 9...what can I say, I love healers) and it's a cakewalk. I have kicked *** the entire time, no special packs, just dropped gear.

I liked the game so much I bought the Guardian founders pack last night for the mount/companion. I don't see at all how 1-15 is "brutal" on cleric. I breezed through the content more than once using like no pots. Clerics are bad ***.
  • immagikman2immagikman2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yep I used it right up to level 16 when I needed a better weapon.
    I love having it because I dont have to take so much time to get my new alts up and running.
    If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
  • jaddaljaddal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    O_o How? I have played BW2&3, got my cleric to 30. I have 2 cleric's in Open Beta (lvls 24 and 9...what can I say, I love healers) and it's a cakewalk. I have kicked *** the entire time, no special packs, just dropped gear.

I liked the game so much I bought the Guardian founders pack last night for the mount/companion. I don't see at all how 1-15 is "brutal" on cleric. I breezed through the content more than once using like no pots. Clerics are bad ***.
    Probably because you are smarter and better looking than me. Of course, I could be speaking in relative terms; one as compared to the other.
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited May 2013
    I find the cloak to be far more OP. It's like I'm making my own money with the stuff it drops!
  • zombiesxiiizombiesxiii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jaddal wrote: »
    Probably because you are smarter and better looking than me. Of course, I could be speaking in relative terms; one as compared to the other.

:/ I'm not trying to say anything of the sort. I'm just truly perplexed on how we could have such hugely different experiences.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Didn't use it and did just fine. However if I start another character I might use it.

I also wouldn't classify it as pay to win.
  • clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well I am still using my blue after hitting 21, though I don't know how much further I will go with it until I swap it out.

But I've mainly kept it so far because the tool tips still suggest it's the 'recommended' weapon over others that I have received (even if the greens I get have better dps, NW tells me my blue is 'recommended' because it has more stats), and I want to see how long it states that as I progress, more out of curiosity of how well the 'recommended' system works.

To cure you curiosity i will tell you the recommend logic is completely useless.