test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Astral Diamonds

xenozenoxenozeno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 28 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
It costs too much to do general things like unsocket an enchantment. I'm level 28 or something and it's costs around 6 - 10 thousand astral diamonds to remove enchants. It feels like I'm spending more AD than I'm making...
Post edited by xenozeno on

Comments

• Options
    fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xenozeno wrote: »
    It costs too much to do general things like unsocket an enchantment. I'm level 28 or something and it's costs around 6 - 10 thousand astral diamonds to remove enchants. It feels like I'm spending more AD than I'm making...

Pretty sure that is their intention. I wouldn't be going enchant happy or unsocketing at level 28 though. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    shootersashootersa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    at that kinda lvls you shouldn't be bothering about unsocketing items or anything like that, just wait till you reach 60 and you earn some loot in the dungeons, they will give you a feel about how cheap 6-10 thousend is :P
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game is a cash grab either way you look at it. It is only going to get worse at 60 when the refine cap daily is 24K. You are almost forced to hand over real money for AD's to prevent spending a year grinding to get anything decent.

Of course, you can always run hard mode dungeons and need roll on those purples to sell on auction. Everything is pretty much Bind on equip and can be traded from dungeons...hey, they designed that way, might as well.
    ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3 mobo, Intel i7 2600k, 32gb DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws, 500gb SSD, 2TB HDD, Geforce GTX 690 x2 Sli, 1200 watt Thermaltake modular PS, Thermaltake gaming tower.
  • Options
    caleshhcaleshh Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Another money *****in thread.....move along please
  • Options
    vaipenvaipen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a flaw in these systems usually. If at low levels someone wants to unsocket something, that is to say, really 'play' with an item, it costs too much. And so it is not feasible for anyone to use that system. Still, a player wants to mess around with their gear and try different things. Since it is too expensive, people save their resources for max level.

I suggest that it should be possible and affordable to up-and downgrade low level gear by making it cheap at low levels but more expensive at the highest levels through a linear progression of costs. It isn't rewarding to be level 12 or something and having a decent item and you want to upgrade it but the slot remains open because you will be throwing it away in a few more levels.

SO I think this is a design flaw.
  • Options
    cookieyumyummycookieyumyummy Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    caleshh wrote: »

No we will not move along, because quite frankly, it is an issue.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The game is not a "cash grab", in my view, but I do agree that the costs for removing an enchantment are prohibitively expensive and I'd be happy if we saw an adjustment here. The current prices for BoEs in the AH won't stay as high as they are now, so the AD income will consistently decrease, but the costs for removals, ID scrolls, etc. will stay where they are (making these things relatively more expensive as time passes).
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    The game is not a "cash grab", in my view, but I do agree that the costs for removing an enchantment are prohibitively expensive and I'd be happy if we saw an adjustment here. The current prices for BoEs in the AH won't stay as high as they are now, so the AD income will consistently decrease, but the costs for removals, ID scrolls, etc. will stay where they are (making these things relatively more expensive as time passes).

Its not a cash grab eh? LOL
    ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3 mobo, Intel i7 2600k, 32gb DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws, 500gb SSD, 2TB HDD, Geforce GTX 690 x2 Sli, 1200 watt Thermaltake modular PS, Thermaltake gaming tower.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    natejam101 wrote: »

It isn't. You can play all of the content without ever paying anything. The money has to come from somewhere and there need to incentive for people to fork over some cash, however, so yes, some aspects will be inconvenient or require a lot of time if you do not want to support the game financially. This is not a government-sponsored charity project.

Do you work for free? I don't, and I don't expect others to, either. I still feel the AD costs for recovering enchants is too high, but I can talk about this without getting all whiny about some hard truths about life, e.g. the one that food doesn't grow on our parents' tables even if for at least sixteen years it may seem so.
  • Options
    caleshhcaleshh Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    No we will not move along, because quite frankly, it is an issue.

An issue with your empty wallet or that the game is just starting and in that time you feel gilted somehow? There are old threads on this bull**** argument. People need to stop making new ones. I have yet to spend a cent and have put in a little extra time and have been playing the market....its great. In another week I will afford a special mount from doing some surveys and earning enough zen from that. There are ways to play this game, get everything and not spend a cent.....just gotta know how to play more then just the game.
  • Options
    xenozenoxenozeno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    caleshh wrote: »

OP here. As you can see I bought the "Hero of the North" founders pack, I am happy to pay to support the games I play. BUT I think The cost of removing enchants is a bit too much.

Does it stay around 6k-10k? Or does it scale according to item level and enchant quality?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xenozeno wrote: »
    Does it stay around 6k-10k? Or does it scale according to item level and enchant quality?

It scales substantially.
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Iam level 36 at the moment and I just sell my old stuff with the enhancements in, you find a lot of them and so my new gear I can always put a new one in my new gear.
  • Options
    grimjoe32grimjoe32 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    From Zen to AD its all over priced... nowonder people are labeling them greedy.
  • Options
    matumatu Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would prefer they moved toward the GuildWars2 model (you pay for the game but no sub, but you get less <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that you have to pay for), in this game everything seems made to make you want to spend money, for example 2 characters slots feels pretty limited to me, even for a fp2. And why can't we purchase bags with gold what's gold good for other than mount and maybe proff kits and potions?
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    AD are a bloated currency. 10k is nothing, really.
    Or, look at it this way.
    1 zen is roughly 1 cent american money, right?
    1 zen is about 500 AD on the store.
    1 AD is therefore about 1/500 of 1 penny................
    They need list AD costs in k (per 1000) and have done with it. If you think of it that way, 10k to do something is not so unreasonable.... or 100k for something major, etc.

This may change over time. ATM tons of founders have 1/2 a million AD and up to spend ON TOP of 5K a day (casual) to 20K a day (hardcore) per character generated.
  • Options
    wolfosworcawolfosworca Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a problem with money in general. Having 3 types of "Money" makes it really bothersome.

I have Zen. Zen is cash shop money, that i can trade for AD.
    I have AD, that seems to be the be all and end all to EVERYTHING in game.
    Then i have gold...which.....is.....what? Gold is for potions. Yay? What is gold used for. I find less reasons to hold onto it.

It feels like AD invalidates and devalues everything. Since you can earn some in game, but not enough to be worth anything but "Rename your companion" and "I need scrolls of ID". Is this simply "how it is"....because it really just makes me not want to do somethings. :(

Edit - Im going to add this too. The idea of AD is "the rich get richer" since you can simply pay your way through this game (Zen to AD, AD to the market and such) but also, it means that people with money control this games systems. This isn't me saying "Oh, im poor". I have the money to spend on this if i want, but if this game is just flat out going to be "Pay to win" because they gave players the ability to throw cash at a digital sword, i see some VERY serious problems later on down the line when item inflation will happen or more cash shop items can be sold. Games like Tera who let you sell cash shop items online, at least don't make gameplay require **** real money! The fact i need to use AD to change my hires name or to add a enchantment to him, is bloody insane considering it's not even a big thing. :/ AD is fine...but can we not have it be the sole focus of this game? ....please? I have gold for a reason.
  • Options
    xxviimbxxviimb Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agree with OP here, The prices to unslot myself and comps. is very dismal at best.
    Hope they see this and make a change.
    and to Caleshh...we all do not have time to "clip coupons" all day for zen, most people work at a job instead.
    "You have a wife and kids? If so, what would happen, if we called you in at 1am, everytime something went wrong!
    Be respectful, remember, you PLAY the game at your convenience, they WORK at no ones."
  • Options
    vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    natejam101 wrote: »

Not a cash grab at all. You just need to know how to manage your needs and wants.
  • Options
    vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a problem with money in general. Having 3 types of "Money" makes it really bothersome.

Then i have gold...which.....is.....what? Gold is for potions. Yay? What is gold used for. I find less reasons to hold onto it.

It feels like AD invalidates and devalues everything. Since you can earn some in game, but not enough to be worth anything but "Rename your companion" and "I need scrolls of ID". Is this simply "how it is"....because it really just makes me not want to do somethings. :(

Edit - Im going to add this too. The idea of AD is "the rich get richer" since you can simply pay your way through this game (Zen to AD, AD to the market and such) but also, it means that people with money control this games systems. This isn't me saying "Oh, im poor". I have the money to spend on this if i want, but if this game is just flat out going to be "Pay to win" because they gave players the ability to throw cash at a digital sword, i see some VERY serious problems later on down the line when item inflation will happen or more cash shop items can be sold. Games like Tera who let you sell cash shop items online, at least don't make gameplay require **** real money! The fact i need to use AD to change my hires name or to add a enchantment to him, is bloody insane considering it's not even a big thing. :/ AD is fine...but can we not have it be the sole focus of this game? ....please? I have gold for a reason.

There is nothing in the cash shop that will let you win the game. The only thing that is bothersome is the nightmare lockboxes which you can just mail to an alt and delete the mail or put them up in the Ah
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You can play the game without a couple billion AD in your wallet. It makes it harder: you cannot buy zen or best stuff in the AH or some of the more exotic services/toys, but you can play to 60 very easily without spending much AD over what you earn daily. Pray daily, and you get tokens for epic quality gear -- about 1 item per month, which is no worse than some game's raid winnings rates (way way back in wow for example, BWL type play, 1/40 chance at a drop one item a month was GOOD).

Its not a totally pay to win game; you can have raid level gear the old fashioned way, by earning it. But you will never catch up to the people that bankroll their toons to pvp. If pvp is your game, it IS pay to win, you will never be able to earn enough to keep up with a rich player. You won't be able to raid after 1 week of playing either. But you won't be alone in being behind the rich folks, and by earning it, you will have a better experience in the game anyway. Kind of pointless to spend $1000 on the game to be maxed out after a month and done with the game... spending little, I will not be uber next month but I will not be bored either.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There is nothing in the cash shop that will let you win the game. The only thing that is bothersome is the nightmare lockboxes which you can just mail to an alt and delete the mail or put them up in the Ah

Zen buys AD. AD let's you use the market. Look at the Zen to AD conversion right now. You'll see what i mean.
    You can play the game without a couple billion AD in your wallet. It makes it harder: you cannot buy zen or best stuff in the AH or some of the more exotic services/toys, but you can play to 60 very easily without spending much AD over what you earn daily. Pray daily, and you get tokens for epic quality gear -- about 1 item per month, which is no worse than some game's raid winnings rates (way way back in wow for example, BWL type play, 1/40 chance at a drop one item a month was GOOD).

Its not a totally pay to win game; you can have raid level gear the old fashioned way, by earning it. But you will never catch up to the people that bankroll their toons to pvp. If pvp is your game, it IS pay to win, you will never be able to earn enough to keep up with a rich player. You won't be able to raid after 1 week of playing either. But you won't be alone in being behind the rich folks, and by earning it, you will have a better experience in the game anyway. Kind of pointless to spend $1000 on the game to be maxed out after a month and done with the game... spending little, I will not be uber next month but I will not be bored either.

The idea of pay to win in PvE is still something there i think. If the content is balanced towards it, then it is a hurdle. I know you can do it without it but it is geared towards making it like that. As i said with Tera, the idea is that the game is no different then when it was pay to play, the only things in the cash shop that alter the gameplay are mounts, skins and XP boosts. I have no problem with that since it makes the game fair. If i see someone with a cool mount in tera, il throw the $20 towards getting it. If i see one in neverwinter, it's reminding me that if i want a mount AT ALL, i have to do some insane AD grinding. Yes, you can say its all about paying for the little things, but the little things make a difference. Im not saying id want it all free, hell no. What im saying is either have AD be less of a factor in the normal game, keeping it to vanity items in game, or make it easier to find.

Hell, i found out today that you need bars of metal that come from **** lockboxes to get items too! At this point, that is MORE items that i have to spend real money on. Vanity or not, that's a bit insane to have a random token drop from a lock-box that if you spend enough money, you might get a fricking hat! There is money making and then there is just insanity.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wrenaq wrote: »
    Iam level 36 at the moment and I just sell my old stuff with the enhancements in, you find a lot of them and so my new gear I can always put a new one in my new gear.

This. Also there are some idols that Rhixx will buy for 40K AD, I made 80K just yesterday that way (they are Blue objects)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Im just going to throw this out, then il shut up on this i guess. There are so many currencies in game linked to Zen. Like, 3 at least (AD, Zen itself, and Bars of metal from the lockboxes) that at what **** point is there a point i DON'T need to spend money to get something. If in game gold can't be used for anything of use outside of HP potions. I do not see a point of having it at all. Maybe im wrong and at end game, i can buy something of value that makes me feel like im in D&D and not a shopping center and i need a credit card to get a **** pair of boots. :/
  • Options
    kukagenkykukagenky Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you should just save all your enchantments till 60 then make a high ranking 1. o.o
    neverwinter: PEINEXDEM(warlock)31*----PEINEX(trickster rouge)70
    ethersaga: PEINEXDEM(yaoh conjurer)75*
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ridingwithwolftvv
    I used to be an adventure like you until I took a dagger to the chest
  • Options
    daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    It isn't. You can play all of the content without ever paying anything. The money has to come from somewhere and there need to incentive for people to fork over some cash, however, so yes, some aspects will be inconvenient or require a lot of time if you do not want to support the game financially. This is not a government-sponsored charity project.

Do you work for free? I don't, and I don't expect others to, either. I still feel the AD costs for recovering enchants is too high, but I can talk about this without getting all whiny about some hard truths about life, e.g. the one that food doesn't grow on our parents' tables even if for at least sixteen years it may seem so.

I'm not sure its the having to pay for stuff thats the issue as much as how expensive things seem to be. If stuff was cheap I think a lot of people would be more willing to buy stuff. Lots of little transactions add up to a lot of money. Thats how you do it. 50 cents, a dollar. People drop that without even thinking. Before they know it they've spent 15 20 bucks.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im just going to throw this out, then il shut up on this i guess. There are so many currencies in game linked to Zen. Like, 3 at least (AD, Zen itself, and Bars of metal from the lockboxes) that at what **** point is there a point i DON'T need to spend money to get something. If in game gold can't be used for anything of use outside of HP potions. I do not see a point of having it at all. Maybe im wrong and at end game, i can buy something of value that makes me feel like im in D&D and not a shopping center and i need a credit card to get a **** pair of boots. :/

To clarify:
    AD is a currency you can EARN in game. Rought Astral to Refine (24k a day) now, you can earn this if you have the time (24k a day or more and just refine it each day). To players with LOTS of time (and there are players with that much time) they will grind out as much AD as they can and not spend a single penny directly at ZEN and get all the stuff they need. A "smart" player will probably SAVE the AD for NOW until the market is stable and convert it to Zen (that is what I'm doing) unless you want the stuff "now now now" then you have to pay the higher price.

Zen is the CASH currency that you can earn via 2 ways. Spending money (PWE prefer this method) or using AD and trade in the market (player driven with min price at 50 and max price 500 per zen) right now it is pretty expensive (around 400 AD per zen) so I usually will wait until the market becomes more stable.

Bars - opening lockboxes is a gamble. It is like playing a lot of scratch offs. You may win big (grand prize of new shiny mount for NWB or a ship in STO) but generally you may get "generic item #1" that you feel it may not WORTH the zen you spend on it (125 per key) so the Bars is a way to compensate. It is like a collectable points that you can spend and get something BIG in their shop. So for those who may spend 500$ on keys (yes people DO that) and not get a single nightmare mount, they MAY spend the bars to get something just as good or equivalent. It is actually good for the customer.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daradal wrote: »
    I'm not sure its the having to pay for stuff thats the issue as much as how expensive things seem to be. If stuff was cheap I think a lot of people would be more willing to buy stuff. Lots of little transactions add up to a lot of money. Thats how you do it. 50 cents, a dollar. People drop that without even thinking. Before they know it they've spent 15 20 bucks.

Which is much the same that you'd pay for a subscription game each month whether you use it or not. Then you end up paying that every month and hardly playing, scared to cancel because you don't' want to lose anything.

In this model, if you don't' play, you don't lose anything.

As for managing your own finances, that's a personal thing, also a life lesson. If it's a choice between dropping 20 bucks in an online game or using that 20 bucks to buy food for your kids then you probably shouldn't even be playing online games.

If you're a teenager, you can easily make 20 bucks in an afternoon from mowing your neighbors lawn. Or badgering your parents.

Those of us that are way older than that tho, we no longer have kids to support, some of us don't' have mortgage or car payments to make either. Dropping a few bucks to save a little time is purely a convenience, which is easily offset by saving a little time doing 'not so much fun' things to make more time for 'fun' things. It's like playing golf, if your ball goes into the pond you can choose to wade in after it, pay your caddy to do so, or take the mulligan and use a new ball. it's all a question of personal choice. Some folks playing on a shoestring budget will take the 'grind' option and wade barefoot into the mud to retrieve their ball.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unless you have some really awesome item you picked up and socketed into your gear you probably shouldn't be socketing gear lower than the 50's. Or at least bothering with unsocketing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kialrienkialrien Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My only question is how much did they pay the 5 year old who did the hair models? It must have been stale cookies and sour milk because they did a ****ty job on them...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]