Install Arc
Options

Suggestion: Level locking

Comments

• Options
    lifedoorlifedoor Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    To the forum moderators:

Sorry that this seems like I am spamming the thread.
  • Options
    jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    Grumpy-Cat-NO.jpg
  • Options
    pantamimepantamime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    twinking at the level 19 bracket wouldn't be any different then being 60 and fully geared. It's the same concept. Having better gear than everyone else.

Sure if they were to make a GS based queue system itd be good but, like others have said there wouldn't be enough "Twinks" in the different brackets to ever pop a game. Why is that do you think? Because very very few people would actually do that.

Playing in a certain bracket only leaves you with the upper hand. GWF and GF dont get really good for PvP until higher levels. And from what I understand DC doesn't get good until mid levels.

So pretty much itll be twink TR and CW teams vs twink TR and CW teams. Whats the point? Aside from epeen, I am asking what is the point? Could it really be fun to just farm glory in a set bracket with better gear than everyone you face? or if they have a GS queue where you were only fighting other top end gear in your level bracket, how is that different than playing in regular queue against people with only greens if you had a similar GS.

I just fail to see the point. You say you dont want to just roflstomp people you want to do it because its fun. But Twink vs Twink is the same as Regular gear vs Regular gear.

Just queue up and play the **** game normal. No need for level locks. Hit 60 and then "twink" yourself out. Guaranteed you will have fun
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PVPer rocking it Solo queue style since the dawn of Neverwinter
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pantamime wrote: »
    twinking at the level 19 bracket wouldn't be any different then being 60 and fully geared. It's the same concept. Having better gear than everyone else.

Sure if they were to make a GS based queue system itd be good but, like others have said there wouldn't be enough "Twinks" in the different brackets to ever pop a game. Why is that do you think? Because very very few people would actually do that.

Playing in a certain bracket only leaves you with the upper hand. GWF and GF dont get really good for PvP until higher levels. And from what I understand DC doesn't get good until mid levels.

So pretty much itll be twink TR and CW teams vs twink TR and CW teams. Whats the point? Aside from epeen, I am asking what is the point? Could it really be fun to just farm glory in a set bracket with better gear than everyone you face? or if they have a GS queue where you were only fighting other top end gear in your level bracket, how is that different than playing in regular queue against people with only greens if you had a similar GS.

I just fail to see the point. You say you dont want to just roflstomp people you want to do it because its fun. But Twink vs Twink is the same as Regular gear vs Regular gear.

Just queue up and play the **** game normal. No need for level locks. Hit 60 and then "twink" yourself out. Guaranteed you will have fun

I don't aim for wearing BiS gear. Yes, I always have it in my bags so that if another BiS twink comes along, my team doesn't lose. But if I am facing non-twinked players, I usually throw on some trashy gear. Because level 9's are already op enough if they remove the buff to 9's.

So why face every epeen *** hole at level 60 that will exploit everything and say that twinks are the same jerks? Because there is a difference. People like myself like to have a challenge. If I am not twinking, I usually get enough gear by the 4-6 range to be as powerful as a 9 twink would be. And people complain that twinks are so very over powered. When infact, it is very easy to get all of the BiS gear long before you hit the 9's for what ever bracket you want to kill people in.

When my GF was 18, I had a lot of blues on. I dominated in pvp when my team wasn't the braindead team, and the enemy team didn't have 2 CW's.

Why are rogues no issue for a GF? Simple. ANY GF that knows what a rogue can do and how to beat one in 1v1, will simply win 80%+ of the time no matter the gear difference in 10-19.

Also, I hate when people associate the max level with "twinking". It is NOT twinking until it is no longer the max level.
  • Options
    loonavercity1loonavercity1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not a fan of PVP but I do occasionally grind it for extended periods on other games. I have no problem with twinks, they still go down if they're not very skilled. Even if you gear is of a lower quality, if you understand your class, you still have a good chance of fighting back.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm not a fan of PVP but I do occasionally grind it for extended periods on other games. I have no problem with twinks, they still go down if they're not very skilled. Even if you gear is of a lower quality, if you understand your class, you still have a good chance of fighting back.

GF isn't as over powered as it could've been in the 19's bracket. The shield goes down too fast. Other than that, if you know that you can attack with Guard up, you are already 10x better than most people playing the game at pvp.

I've been beaten by everything except GWF's 1v1 when my GF was leveling 10-19. Though I did kill people a lot in 1v1.

2v1 is not as easy, and I was not able to do it when they were at full health. They had to atleast be at 50% each, or less.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I can understand why people want to do it within certain level brackets. Some are more fun and/or balanced than others.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But if you're playing so much pvp, you will have enough glory to have all the pvp gear at 60. And it doesn't get more challenging than going up against a full group of 60s that have as good of gear as you do.

And thats another thing though, the 10-19 bracket is where most players are learning. So a lot of the GF's won't know how to handle a TR or a CW. And the same can be said for any class not knowing how to beat any other class.

10-19 is like the preschool for pvp. It's where the majority of noobies are right now since the game is so fresh. I just don't see why they should put level locking in. It's on fair enough grounds as it is. Lower level people usually have majority greens and a couple blues if they are actually doing quest lines and not just farming xp in some maxed out foundry grind mission.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I can understand why people want to do it within certain level brackets. Some are more fun and/or balanced than others.

I totally agree some brackets are more balanced than others. If they were to allow level locking make it start in the 30-39 bracket. Leave the 10-19 and 20-29 to people that are actually leveling up for the first time and still learning. And when an experienced player is leveling an alt, he has the upperhand of experience- he shouldnt need to be twinked as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But if you're playing so much pvp, you will have enough glory to have all the pvp gear at 60. And it doesn't get more challenging than going up against a full group of 60s that have as good of gear as you do.

And thats another thing though, the 10-19 bracket is where most players are learning. So a lot of the GF's won't know how to handle a TR or a CW. And the same can be said for any class not knowing how to beat any other class.

10-19 is like the preschool for pvp. It's where the majority of noobies are right now since the game is so fresh. I just don't see why they should put level locking in. It's on fair enough grounds as it is. Lower level people usually have majority greens and a couple blues if they are actually doing quest lines and not just farming xp in some maxed out foundry grind mission.

What they could do about the gear issue is how Trion managed it with Rift. For the first 7 wins of the week in either a specific game that week, or randoms, you get random blues that are from BGs only that are on par with the dungeon gear. Some of this gear was much better than the dungeon gear. Meaning that twink gear would be very easily obtained by people who have no intention of ever twinking, but want that extra gear and exp bonus for a few pvp wins.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lifedoor wrote: »

Also, I hate when people associate the max level with "twinking". It is NOT twinking until it is no longer the max level.

that's exactly why I put it in quotes. you know "twinking" instead of twinking. It's the same concept, you have better gear than the other people your level. But at max level its just called being geared.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree some brackets are more balanced than others. If they were to allow level locking make it start in the 30-39 bracket. Leave the 10-19 and 20-29 to people that are actually leveling up for the first time and still learning. And when an experienced player is leveling an alt, he has the upperhand of experience- he shouldnt need to be twinked as well.

I do understand the "preschool playground". If they added it and the community didn't want it, I would understand.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah. that makes sense. Twinking at the lower end of the scale is a little harsh. If it wasn't a beta though, I'd suggest a bit of Googling to understand class mechanics for low levellers.
  • Options
    random1285random1285 Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2013

Getting BiS gear at lvl 19, 29, 39 whatever- I'd wager is a great deal easier than getting BiS gear at lvl 60. Especially given the whole underlying pay to win situation with enchantments and AD- By the time I hit 60 I'm probably going to get bounced around like someone's bachelor party strip-o-gram. I've had zero problems in a couple of games where there was level locking, the difference was those games didn't allow you to stick high level enchantments on low level items and I think that as long as that's contained, I really can't see the problem.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    random1285 wrote: »
    Getting BiS gear at lvl 19, 29, 39 whatever- I'd wager is a great deal easier than getting BiS gear at lvl 60. Especially given the whole underlying pay to win situation with enchantments and AD- By the time I hit 60 I'm probably going to get bounced around like someone's bachelor party strip-o-gram. I've had zero problems in a couple of games where there was level locking, the difference was those games didn't allow you to stick high level enchantments on low level items and I think that as long as that's contained, I really can't see the problem.

Seriously... Can you put high level enchants on low end gear? If so, that's a bit of a p**s take.
  • Options
    palad1n72palad1n72 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's funny reading responses from those who don't care for PvP, and try to blow this up out of proportion. PvP in this game is "optional". It is frankly considered an "e-sport" for those who enjoy PvP on a regular basis. For me, I am sad there are no open world PvP areas to contend for in various level brackets.

The issue that usually comes from "twinking" is that new players who are starting out will get destroyed by twinks, and then stop playing. If you want to enjoy the lower lvl PvP, then perhaps level up a character, PvP with it, then delete the character and re-roll. I know a few players that do this already while their main helps to outfit that lower lvl character each time with better gear.

Honestly you are a bit limited on just how strong your gear can be at lower lvls, until you cross that lvl 20 barrier in which you start finding or can obtain items with a socket in them. This is really the only time I could see twinking become a real issue, as someone could drop in high lvl enhancements into low lvl gear.

The only way to counter that would be to limit how large of an enchantment tier you could place in the lower lvl gear, such as, a lvl 24 gear could not exceed tier 2 enchantments if they choose to stay "level locked" for PvP purposes. (Let's be honest, the only reason someone would stay level locked would be for PvP)

Overall, I can see reasons for both sides of why there should or should not be twinks allowed, but ultimately it will be up to Cryptic / PW.
  • Options
    random1285random1285 Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2013
    Seriously... Can you put high level enchants on low end gear? If so, that's a bit of a p**s take.

No sorry, I worded that poorly. I'm not particularly sure if you could do that in this game. But I do know that the whole enchantments on low lvl gear gave rise to the notorious twink community in WoW and ruined low lvl pvp for many people- mostly new folks who haven't been bankrolled by their main characters or their buddies. And I agree it's a terrible thing because there developed this idiotic meta-game around fishing out exploits just to be a proper twink. It's no wonder they have a terrible reputation.
  • Options
    spazy1spazy1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -Didnt read whole thread lul-

Level locking is a game killing mechanic for "Some" players.

Jumping from questing getting bored going into pvp and pvp against people with the same stuff as you is fun, running into some twinked out geek who has spent $2000 on the game for his level 19 twink to be 1 hit by him is not fun.

GTFO you scumbag of a slag. (might have been a bit over the top.)
  • Options
    dornstoneshielddornstoneshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Yea...I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want to play a twink in the first place...go find an anime game if thats what you're into.

Or more likely, why some 'tard decided the term was one they wanted to use for whatever it is you guys are talking about...and how a bunch of other 'tards decided to support that decision and encourage it.

Seriously though...pvp is utterly pointless. Every game is the same...obsessive losers who spend hours perfecting their method of making other players hate the game. I wish there was a way to let casual pvpers actually experience it with others of their kind...while the "pros" beat the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of each other.

No story, no variety, really nothing but stalking and button mashing...how the F is pvp fun?
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Everyone also knows that anytime a company makes a system so twinks can fight other twinks, that system goes unused

Twink away, but they should stick you against other twinks. It's anti-fun to be a regular character going up against twinks with chance of winning. I remember in WoW how people who chose the twink queue complaining that they took hours to form, if they ever did. That right there showed how few actually wanted to fight other twinks.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    that's exactly why I put it in quotes. you know "twinking" instead of twinking. It's the same concept, you have better gear than the other people your level. But at max level its just called being geared.

Sorry I didn't clear that up very much. I had to go in about 5 minutes when I wrote that
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    random1285 wrote: »

No one wants TBC rogues at level 10 with 100% dodge. Trust me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    palad1n72 wrote: »
    It's funny reading responses from those who don't care for PvP, and try to blow this up out of proportion. PvP in this game is "optional". It is frankly considered an "e-sport" for those who enjoy PvP on a regular basis. For me, I am sad there are no open world PvP areas to contend for in various level brackets.

The issue that usually comes from "twinking" is that new players who are starting out will get destroyed by twinks, and then stop playing. If you want to enjoy the lower lvl PvP, then perhaps level up a character, PvP with it, then delete the character and re-roll. I know a few players that do this already while their main helps to outfit that lower lvl character each time with better gear.

Honestly you are a bit limited on just how strong your gear can be at lower lvls, until you cross that lvl 20 barrier in which you start finding or can obtain items with a socket in them. This is really the only time I could see twinking become a real issue, as someone could drop in high lvl enhancements into low lvl gear.

The only way to counter that would be to limit how large of an enchantment tier you could place in the lower lvl gear, such as, a lvl 24 gear could not exceed tier 2 enchantments if they choose to stay "level locked" for PvP purposes. (Let's be honest, the only reason someone would stay level locked would be for PvP)

Overall, I can see reasons for both sides of why there should or should not be twinks allowed, but ultimately it will be up to Cryptic / PW.

I did this for 6 years in WoW... That was LONG enough. Thanks anyways.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    spazy1 wrote: »
    -Didnt read whole thread lul-

Level locking is a game killing mechanic for "Some" players.

Jumping from questing getting bored going into pvp and pvp against people with the same stuff as you is fun, running into some twinked out geek who has spent $2000 on the game for his level 19 twink to be 1 hit by him is not fun.

GTFO you scumbag of a slag. (might have been a bit over the top.)

Lol... If I have a twink, the ONLY thing I would use real money, or Astral Diamonds, would be to get a 110% mount if I was in the 20+ brackets. If they allow it I will probably be a GWF at 39 because that is the first bracket that they are not completely terrible.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yea...I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want to play a twink in the first place...go find an anime game if thats what you're into.

Or more likely, why some 'tard decided the term was one they wanted to use for whatever it is you guys are talking about...and how a bunch of other 'tards decided to support that decision and encourage it.

Seriously though...pvp is utterly pointless. Every game is the same...obsessive losers who spend hours perfecting their method of making other players hate the game. I wish there was a way to let casual pvpers actually experience it with others of their kind...while the "pros" beat the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of each other.

No story, no variety, really nothing but stalking and button mashing...how the F is pvp fun?

When it is balanced, it is very fun. PvP is not intended for casuals. It is not intended to have people be in max gear facing the non-geared new players. It is for those of us that want to have fun. But, when a game has gear, it is no longer "allowed" to be just fun because there will always be someone better than you. The ranked 1 guild for pve, and the rank 1 pvper in a year when the game is stable, are still not the best. At any moment better competition could come up. Yes, they may be the current best, but there is no technically "BEST" if you can understand this. Why? Oh hey, I am rank 1 but I lost to someone. I quit for awhile, they are now rank 1. Someone more skilled comes, rank 1. ETC.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    Twink away, but they should stick you against other twinks. It's anti-fun to be a regular character going up against twinks with chance of winning. I remember in WoW how people who chose the twink queue complaining that they took hours to form, if they ever did. That right there showed how few actually wanted to fight other twinks.

No. That showed how few of us there are. The 19s bracket in WoW still gets lots of queues if you know when to queue. Same with 39s. 70s are mostly night time EST.
    ^based off of cata^
    No longer have a 70 twink. He is like 83 or 84 now.

There are obviously a LOT more people not level locked. Why? Er... self explanatory really.
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is you and a few other people are the exception. The majority of twinks abuse the system and get their jollies off dominating lower level, or lesser geared players. That ruins it for them, and they no longer want to play. More players leave, Cryptic loses money. Cryptic will more than likely go the mentoring route because it already exists in Champions as sidekicking. Al Rivera has thought about adding a similar system in STO, but it'd pointless as STO's missions scale with your level. Actually I'd rather see the scaling option in NW.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• Options
    edited May 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    The problem is you and a few other people are the exception. The majority of twinks abuse the system and get their jollies off dominating lower level, or lesser geared players. That ruins it for them, and they no longer want to play. More players leave, Cryptic loses money. Cryptic will more than likely go the mentoring route because it already exists in Champions as sidekicking. Al Rivera has thought about adding a similar system in STO, but it'd pointless as STO's missions scale with your level. Actually I'd rather see the scaling option in NW.

Id rather see 30+ for level locking, like someone said. And if people want to abuse the exp off in exp on games if cryptic/PW goes that route, make it take 24 hours before you can remove/add it. Otherwords, just make our stats have a "cap" in BGs.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ravin wrote: »

If they do mentoring I will quit and take my friends with me. As well as our money. And some of their friends will leave with their money as well. ETC.
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know, lifedoor, the multi-quote button is available for you to use.
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet