Install Arc
Options

Is trying to run away pointless?

2»

Comments

• Options
    krisb45krisb45 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once you unlock the At Will moves Stab and Shield Slam (think it's 10 points) forget trying to run.
    Just raise shield, walk backwards, and poke holes in the horde.
  • Options
    klump360klump360 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rokis10 wrote: »
    you are a warrior. Die with honor.

^^^ this! ^^^
  • Options
    ghost88chopsghost88chops Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My GF is around level 23 and I haven't died once so far. Honestly, I still don't know what happens when you die in this game (knock on wood). You just have to be aware of how the class works.
    First: Block, block, block. You will take no damage (from the front), even from AoE.
    Second: Your focus in a fight (while soloing) should be maintaining your block bar. You have abilities that refill it, so make sure you use them. The only reason to disengage would be to give it a moment to refill.
    Third: GF's have an ability that can interrupt enemies. Learn what does the most damage (or reduces your block bar the most) and start timing your interrupts.
    Fourth: Considering that you can still take damage from behind while blocking, positioning is important. You can move while blocking, so step out those big red spots on the ground when you can (to preserve your block bar), and once you're able to cleave attack while blocking, take advantage of it. If you're having a lot of problems, only come out of block to use the abilities that refill that block bar (Shield Bash, Forceful Taunt, etc).
    Fifth: Potions. Stock up. I find that I barely need them when I have a Cleric companion. Also, don't be afraid to go back to a campfire and heal real quick if you're close to one.
    Sixth: Pay attention to the stats on your items. Deflection, defense, even recovery (to speed up the interrupts and charge attacks, they do good damage). I'm probably forgetting some stats, but I'm not in-game at the moment.

Seventh: If all else fails, die with honor.

I hope this helps! :)

P.S. Oh, and don't forget about feats. Get anything that increases your ability to negate or mitigate damage.
  • Options
    rhadagast1rhadagast1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    You could just run and hope to get lucky. I ran from a quest area and had a train of 8 or 10 mobs following me. I ran past a GWF who was fighting 3 mobs, his AOE grabbed the guys training behind me and he died in my place. I felt bad about not stopping to thank him, but given what had just happened to him; I figured it may not be the diplomatic thing to do.
  • Options
    fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rhadagast1 wrote: »
    You could just run and hope to get lucky. I ran from a quest area and had a train of 8 or 10 mobs following me. I ran past a GWF who was fighting 3 mobs, his AOE grabbed the guys training behind me and he died in my place. I felt bad about not stopping to thank him, but given what had just happened to him; I figured it may not be the diplomatic thing to do.

Lol you don't happen to play on Beholder do you? There was a guy earlier this evening ranting about someone doing that to him.
  • Options
    rhadagast1rhadagast1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    Lol you don't happen to play on Beholder do you? There was a guy earlier this evening ranting about someone doing that to him.

Nope, I play on Mindflayer. I really did feel bad for it, and wasn't so much running from a fight gone bad so much as I was done questing and didn't want to have to fight my way back out. I mounted, and ran. The poor little GWF just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
  • Options
    ch0keslamch0keslam Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've noticed in PVP the only way you will get away running is if a teammate peels for you by applying pressure to your pursuer. Where some might see this as an oversight, and druids from wow might QQQQ about not being able to get away... I think this is a very cool mechanic that will allow more coordinated PVP teams to separate themselves among the ranks....

**THIS MIGHT BLOW YOUR MIND**, but maybe the execution style deaths (press F rather than instant death) was implemented to add another element to team oriented combat and peeling. Pro Tip: You can use CC to allow your teammates to evade combat/ save them.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, after a nice long "power session", I am now level 22. I got a cleric companion and a loaner horse, both of which have made my life a lot easier. I've also gotten a bunch of gear that provides regen and lifesteal, and now I really feel like a force to be reckoned with. At the same time, some of the new skills and overall better gear has basically made working my way through mobs much much easier.

IMO, it seems like some aspects of low level play deter you from wanting to keep a fast pace going. I no longer have to down potion after potion, like a did before, and my progress isn't plodding like it was before.

Anyway, I'm going to stick w/ this character and see how things play out...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    caleshhcaleshh Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    To answer question...yes
  • Options
    minemoleminemole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is some general information on Companions in the Neverwinter Wiki.
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Companion

At level 16, you will receive a free companion through a simple quest that directs you to a companion vendor.

Edit: Sorry, I was too slow with this post. I see you've already leveled up now.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Well, after a nice long "power session", I am now level 22. I got a cleric companion and a loaner horse, both of which have made my life a lot easier. I've also gotten a bunch of gear that provides regen and lifesteal, and now I really feel like a force to be reckoned with. At the same time, some of the new skills and overall better gear has basically made working my way through mobs much much easier.

IMO, it seems like some aspects of low level play deter you from wanting to keep a fast pace going. I no longer have to down potion after potion, like a did before, and my progress isn't plodding like it was before.

Anyway, I'm going to stick w/ this character and see how things play out...

Good luck to you, and I hope you find it enjoyable.
  • Options
    dornstoneshielddornstoneshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Its about as pointless as in all other MMOs...they will eventually stop following, but in the meantime you will undoubtably have picked up more followers. If you're gonna die anyway you might as well try...you might get away once in awhile. Don't think "friendly" npcs might help you if you can reach them however...I made that mistake and gave some guards a pretty bloody show as they watched some orcs beat me to death.
  • Options
    iteration2iteration2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mmcsky1 wrote: »
    I have no idea how you as a Guardian find the need to run away, i usually casually stroll trough camps and aggro things all the way to my quest giver,turn in quest, then proceed to slaughter them all.

You "usually" casually stroll through camps and slaughter them all. Which means that you don't "always", which means sometimes even you, immensely powerful god among men that you are, will sometimes get overwhelmed.

This post wasn't a whine about the guardian being underpowered, or even an implication that the OP is having difficulty with the game. He's asking a very simple question about a game mechanic which is handled very differently in different games, and which inevitably comes up from time to time.
  • Options
    gillman58gillman58 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm a lv.25 GF. Make sure you have your quick use slots used up by potions. Very little cool down on using them. A ton of end of quest bosses I would have lost without potions.
    But to answer you question on running. I've done a fair share of running. The only problem I have in doing that is running into other mobs aggro range. We all know how tightly packed mobs are.

I find another problem that ties into this is, the fact that a G.F. dishes out damage at a lower rate which allows mobs to respawn while you still killing the next bunch. I can take a hockey-sockful of damage, I just don't have much DPS to speak of.
    The only part of Dungeon runs I continually place first is the taking damage one. But even that is hard because with all the supposedly aggro grabbing skills, they don't grab very well at all. Part of my beef with dungeons is the lack of need to work together as a team. Everyone just rushes in and start hammering the mobs like a pure action game. I've never had anyone, or group say, send the tank in first, let him grab the aggro. Dungeons so far are boring action runs that rarely give any gear for my class worth mentioning.

Still early days, but I think this game needed another 6 months in the oven.
  • Options
    nickademus42nickademus42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure if the mobs have the same speed as you, but the Guardian does have a lunge attack that can gain you some ground if you turn to run and use it. Haven't tested it and doubt it would be that helpful, but it's something to consider.
    Knowledge is Power
  • Options
    kegoragekegorage Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are probably lagging the hell out of the area. Someone pulled a dozen bandits on top of me yesterday and I ended up dying.
  • Options
    kegoragekegorage Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To answer your question. Yes. This isn't LoTR with huge areas and lots of wiggle room for all the players in an area.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As others have mentioned it's situational. Sometimes you can pull it off if there is terrain to take advantage of or the mob density in the area is low enough to maneuver around. Most of the time your stuck and running will make things worse. Two of my favorite skills for giving me breathing room or a short respite are Terrifying Impact and Frontline Surge. Threatening Rush is also useful for making short leaps and keeping up with mobs that like to move around on you.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I've continued to play, and the main thing seems to be learning how to skirt around groups you don't want to fight, and using your mount to get past whatever groups you do aggro. It's pretty much a forced time-sink, IMO, as other games place mobs in such a way that combat is avoidable, (if you don't want to fight). Here, groups are more densely packed and seem to aggro from further away.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums