test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Dungeon Gear - Bind on Equip " FAILS

orcyxorcyx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I know alot of players have already posted about this but the more we discuss and talk about this, the more chances they will change it.

Dungeon gear being Bind on equip is just a stupid feature that allows players to ninja good items to sell in the auction.

Meaning a fully geared player will only do dungeon so he can take all the gear from players.

Yes we can kick that player or leave his party but then just joining a que for dungeons take so long..

Conclusion: make dungeon gear bind to player
Or: imply class roll in rolling options

Suggestion: add world bosses in open maps which drop blue/epic gear which is Bind on equip.
Post edited by orcyx on

Comments

• spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Or, take the fight to them. Start forming groups and blacklisting players, refuse to party with them and give them the wide berth they deserve.
  • barricadezbarricadez Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On the flip side of the coin, as a tank I got tired of running full instances and never seeing 1 fighter drop. So now instead of defering nice item 232 to a rogue, Im gonna to roll as well and hope I can trade it for something I can use.

13 trips through the Clockwork tower and the loot was identical every trip. 1st boss was always rogue item, 2nd boss was always GWF weapon, and 3rd boss was always rogue item. 13x in a row with no deviation. Only managed to run through the second instance 3x but in every case it was rogue / rogue / rogue item.

At least being BoE we can trade gear around, there is no sense in certain classes getting everything.

Everyone put in the effort, everyone should have equal opportunity to prosper from it.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    Nice attitude. What's your IGN so I can blacklist and ignore you?

So you think people who group just to need on loot they don't need to sell it shouldn't be blacklisted? Interesting.
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    barricadez wrote: »
    On the flip side of the coin, as a tank I got tired of running full instances and never seeing 1 fighter drop. So now instead of defering nice item 232 to a rogue, Im gonna to roll as well and hope I can trade it for something I can use.

13 trips through the Clockwork tower and the loot was identical every trip. 1st boss was always rogue item, 2nd boss was always GWF weapon, and 3rd boss was always rogue item. 13x in a row with no deviation. Only managed to run through the second instance 3x but in every case it was rogue / rogue / rogue item.

At least being BoE we can trade gear around, there is no sense in certain classes getting everything.

Everyone put in the effort, everyone should have equal opportunity to prosper from it.

I think there's something wrong with the metric they use to determine drops, it seems like it's always the majority of drops in every isntance. I think there's a reason that most rogue stuff is dirt cheap to buy or sell now. That and thw GWF berserker knot.
  • riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    So you think people who group just to need on loot they don't need to sell it shouldn't be blacklisted? Interesting.

Indeed. The game clearly allows for this. It is not an exploit or something of that nature. Blacklisting people for doing something the devs of the game are, for now, okay with is unfair.

This is something the devs need to look at, if it is considered big enough of a problem by the community.
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Indeed. The game clearly allows for this. It is not an exploit or something of that nature. Blacklisting people for doing something the devs of the game are, for now, okay with is unfair.

This is something the devs need to look at, if it is considered big enough of a problem by the community.

If you make clear at the beginning of the run that you should only roll need on items that you can use (and in that case assuming you actually need it), and they ignore you, you have every right to blacklist them. Just as you can refuse to trade with certain people.
  • hate90hate90 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    orcyx wrote: »

Pure stupidity. Just because someone has used a knife to kill somebody else you want to forbid the production of all knives. The first day "bind on equip" vanishes from NW I will say good bye to this game, because then it won't be any difference between NW and other games, where you are forced to run dungeon hundreds of times to finally get the an item you wanted. It would also destroy NV economy and all free to play player base, because ppl wouldn't buy ZEN for rl money to turn them into AD. No ZEN<->AD, no free play.
  • ashleyaddictionashleyaddiction Member Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Possibly it was something overlooked by the developers? In general MMO etiquette, you only need on items for your class and/or profession, anything else you greed or pass. Those who do not abide by this unwritten rule are generally shunned, blacklisted and in some cases reported for ninja-looting. Imagine if you really needed an item that dropped from a dungeon, something that rarely dropped for your class, only to have it "stolen" by a ninja-looter just looking to make a quick buck...
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't let elitist geek nobodies make a weak attempt to attention seek from children by standing outside the bank with equipment on. It looks the same anyway, none will bother to inspect either.
  • denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Sooo... what you're saying is that it is unfair for a player to choose not to group with somebody. If I have a bad experience with a player, I should be obligated to group with him/her again in the future? After all, that's what he meant by blacklisting... simply keeping a list of players that he will no longer group with.

It's completely fair. If I encounter a player who will ninja unneeded loot from other players, I'll never group with him/her again.
    edited May 2013
    Sooo... what you're saying is that it is unfair for a player to choose not to group with somebody. If I have a bad experience with a player, I should be obligated to group with him/her again in the future? After all, that's what he meant by blacklisting... simply keeping a list of players that he will no longer group with.

It's completely fair. If I encounter a player who will ninja unneeded loot from other players, I'll never group with him/her again.

Thank you, but there's really no need to feed the obvious immature response that was akin to spam, or borderline trolling, there was nothing to explain as it was pretty darned obvious what I meant lol. However players who are all for this cutthroat behavior, often completely oppose this because it means that if it's actually reformed around systemically, they'd get less enjoyment from annoying people with their looting practices, and/or simply see a large increase in the difficulty of them finding a group.
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Wrong. selfish players who abuse a system should be blacklisted. Just because its technically possible, doesn't mean it should be socially acceptable. People know that what they're doing is petty, and wrong. So yeah while you may black list someone for something. The rest of us can us it as a last resort for peole who run the game for countless others on purpose.

The whole effectiveness of a blacklist is to get everyone to do it. I find you'll be hard pressed to black list anyone without a good reason, and proof.

But yeah keep defending the griefers. Really makes that moral high ground sparkle.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

No, to blacklist someone is to have everyone shun that person. Not that ninja looters deserve less.

My solution? Join the 21st century and apply individual loot. Everyone gets their own loot drops.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • abandageabandage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I'm not sure about the blacklist thing there is dungeon etiquette that should be adhered to/encouraged even though the game mechanics allow otherwise. If a player is repeatedly needing items intended for other classes and they've been asked multiple times to stop, then something needs to be done. It's certainly undertandable for a player new to the genre not to understand but if they do and they just don't care then something needs to be done to prevent that player from negatively impacting future groups.

Something like LoL's system allowing team mates to rate eachother either postively or negatively would be nice to see.
  • futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the individual loot suggestion.

Since we are unlikely to see that, a loot option where class specific gear can only be rolled by the class it is for is my preference.

And I'm tired of games with everything BoP on drop and always fighting and waiting and fighting and waiting and waiting and waiting for the lucky drop. If they start making instance drops BoP it would go a little ways towards chasing me from this game too.
  • dezman00000dezman00000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That would remove an incentive for well-geared players, though.
  • prevail517prevail517 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I seriously doubt this will change. For one, why would they care if you don't play the game, its a free game, just leave if you don't like it.

Second, you're forgetting that this model is a BENEFIT to the devs. More BOE's on the AH means more people spending AD on the gear. While that doesn't directly translate to a profit, how many players do you think will be purchasing AD? I'm betting it will be a lot.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Actually no, OP, it's a fantastic design, and they shouldn't change it. you see one of the biggest problems with mmos that have RNG drops is that people have to run dungeons like a bazillion times in order to get fully geared.

This allows people to sell the items they can't use in the AH and players who don't wish to run the dungeons a bazillion times (like casuals like me) can spend our AD on getting the items we need should our guild or friends need us to go do something with them. It's actually a win/win.

Just because leetists want to sport some gear and make themselves feel like they have an enormous epeen doesn't mean cryptic should change this. They'll have a far happier majority by leaving it the way it is because the majority still are the casuals as far as numbers go. Just check what happens every time a game goes hardcore suddenly, 80% of the population leaves because they're casuals/gatherers/crafters/RPers it's just something you'll have to deal with.
  • xxhumorxxxxhumorxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    Here's a quick solution that solves both sides of this argument, and problem.

Add in a "Set Party Loot" options, where the leader of the party can simply right click his icon while he/she is in a party, and simply select from a list of options divvying up the loot.

For example;

Whites- Free For All/Roll/Class Specific
    Greens- Free For All/Roll/Class Specific
    Blues- Free For All/Roll/Class Specific
    Purple- Free For All/Roll/Class Specific

Of the class specific option would no matter what, give the class who rolled, roll for the item, however, everyone else would get to roll on it as well, but classes that couldn't use the item would only get "Second Dibs" on the item, this meaning, even if they roll higher then the class who "Required" the item, they would still lose to the lower roll, should it be the class that could use it. If the "Thief" let's say, didn't need the dagger though, the it would simply pass onto the next highest roller. If this makes any sense, little difficult to explain.

I personally don't agree with Bind On Pickup, they had that in Aion (when it was pay to play, and actually fun), spent so many long hours trying to find my weapon...

Anyways, this solution pretty much solves both sides of the problem, or so I'd like to think, this way people who want specific loot options can have it the way they want, and people who don't want garbage filling up their inventory like me, would simply set FFA loot on, with rolls for blue or higher, and Class Rolling on epics.

Of course, this is just one's opinion.
    edited May 2013
    Actually no, OP, it's a fantastic design, and they shouldn't change it. you see one of the biggest problems with mmos that have RNG drops is that people have to run dungeons like a bazillion times in order to get fully geared.

This allows people to sell the items they can't use in the AH and players who don't wish to run the dungeons a bazillion times (like casuals like me) can spend our AD on getting the items we need should our guild or friends need us to go do something with them. It's actually a win/win.

Just because leetists want to sport some gear and make themselves feel like they have an enormous epeen doesn't mean cryptic should change this. They'll have a far happier majority by leaving it the way it is because the majority still are the casuals as far as numbers go. Just check what happens every time a game goes hardcore suddenly, 80% of the population leaves because they're casuals/gatherers/crafters/RPers it's just something you'll have to deal with.

This game, is not as massively RNG dependent as other games as say, PoE something they often overlook when praising it's cash shop model. And there's no reason why you should be any more important than the person playing that actual class which would really make you needing that current class specific item a bit odd, all arguments can really be just boiled down to laziness and greed. Both of which aren't REALLY very strong points to come from are they?

In the same vein that is used to condone this, I'll simply ask, what makes you so special that you can circumvent having to actually perform as the class the gear is coded and intended for, or more importantly what makes your accumilation of wealth, more important than their gearing up of a character and progressing? when your greed bars the way of a players character progression that's when it becomes an issue, and this looting "style" when paired with a mixed bag of players will always be abused to cause maximum grief by players that get off on it.

the win/win you claim is a very, very badly rationalized one also. The fact you then go on to use terms like "elitists" and "e-peen" doesn't help your case either.
  • sinmuballitsinmuballit Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yeah, it's one of the biggest problems for the most successful MMO ever made? The only one of this kind that's still left standing and isn't forced to go p2w in order to stay in business? Yeah, it would be a real shame to learn anything from it.

It's win/win/lose. Win for the the ninjas, win for the baddies, lose for people who actually want to earn what they get.

It has nothing to do with hardcore and casual. I'm a casual player, I don't want to buy things that other people earn, I accept the fact that I can't get it because I didn't put the time/effort into it. And it really bothers me that people that do want to earn it are going to be plagued by people who want to make a few credits off of slackers who can't accept that they are not entitled to everything the game offers just because they are willing to pay for it.
  • foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the OP is confusing Bind on Equip with Bind on Acquire/Pickup... as far as I know, the game is designed around Bind on Equip, which means that the item is not bound to your character UNTIL you... you know, put it on. Otherwise I would totally agree about BOA/P being a really stupid idea that needs to go the way of the dinosaur... like unique-names in mmos instead of @handles.
  • nismunismu Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    bound to account would be good choice imho. still lets you get items for alt but same time removes those auctioneers.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    No, to blacklist someone is to have everyone shun that person. Not that ninja looters deserve less.

My solution? Join the 21st century and apply individual loot. Everyone gets their own loot drops.

See? Direcrow and I don't disagree on everything. :p

Seriously though as I said in another thread that was the original intent, but hard-cores from WoW and DDO started screaming about everyone getting a prize and comparing it to special Olympics and here we are. Individual loot drops would have solved all of this.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I think both systems have their purpose.

Players need a reason to continue to play and once reason is to get good drops to sell.

I'd love to see some truly epic, rare and powerful drops Account (not character) BoP but for the most part I agree with the decision to make most items BoE. The more important issue is the loot divy system. You can't simply give all the loot to people who are only the correct class. Again everybody needs a reason to continue...
    But obviously it's causing some confusion and irritation.

But when reading the forums it amazes me that people complain about certain aspecs. For instance why has nobody complained people greed on everything? A person needs an item of their class and they're unforgivable but a person who greeds every single item in the hopes of getting everything is perfectly acceptable?

From my point of view the only thing which should really change in the system is to remove the need option if players can't use the item in question on that specific character. Need what is your class. Greed the rest if you desire. Personally if it's not for my class I am kind enough to pass.

Individual loot has it's perks too. Problem is with individual loot the market gets flooded way faster making items, in essence, worthless and thus removing some of the incentive.
  • eolorneolorn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand why they can't simply make it so if you roll "need" it's BoP and if you roll greed in BoE. That way, only players that can use it roll need, if you're going to sell it, you have to roll greed.
  • dezman00000dezman00000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also, by keeping the drops BoE it means those who can't for some reason participate in these dungeons, they can buy them of the auction house.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Also, by keeping the drops BoE it means those who can't for some reason participate in these dungeons, they can buy them of the auction house.

Or better yet...
    I got an awesome drop for your class buddy! Here take it! Yes for free! Just take it!

I don't like BoP. Nothing irks me more than not being able to help friends by giving them gear if they could possibly benefit from it.

It amazes me how six months ago binds were the devil. Players posted threads saying binds shouldn't be on the game ever.
    Now people are saying loot should be for you and you alone never get any items that you can't use and if you do then sell it for petty cash or discard it because you shouldn't be able to exchange items on an MMO.
  • jadedragon1337jadedragon1337 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All I know is if looting is gonna be Diablo style "BoE" I at least want the option to raid their dungeons, cut off their ears and loot their corpses, might as well go full on old school. :D

Though if that cannot be implemented...lol, I still prefer BoE to BoP, it will overall serve the game better over the long haul and future proofs the game a bit and should lend to maintaining a core group if this game ever losses popularity as it is always fun to sale loot. It is a better long term idea.

BoE ftw.
  • natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    orcyx wrote: »
    I know alot of players have already posted about this but the more we discuss and talk about this, the more chances they will change it.

Dungeon gear being Bind on equip is just a stupid feature that allows players to ninja good items to sell in the auction.

Meaning a fully geared player will only do dungeon so he can take all the gear from players.

Yes we can kick that player or leave his party but then just joining a que for dungeons take so long..

Or: imply class roll in rolling options

Suggestion: add world bosses in open maps which drop blue/epic gear which is Bind on equip.

I agree with you OP. I have ran countless dungeons, and at level 50 now I have lost every piece of gear that I have needed on from boss drops so far to these "need when I don't need it" rollers. Its becoming very frustrating and I am NOT going to go and buy that same piece of gear from the idiot that ninja'd from me in the first place off the auction.

A change is needed here, they need to make gear become BOP when someone wins it with a "need" roll. In WoW, boss gear was always BOP, and the players running that dungeon would need on it if they could USE it, if they could not use it then it was basically vendor trash and worth nothing at least they could not profit off the thievery. These other posters here are complaining about running so many dungeons over and over to gain favor with lady RNG? OK , well quit crying. It is an MMO and that is the way the biggest MMO is currently ran. I think it is fun to run dungeons with that chance I may just get something. If i do not, then I just keep trying.

The thing that has bothered me about this whole BOE thing is that I have been running these dungeons and I have been seeing the gear drop that I need, but guess what..dumbdumb needs on it just so he can profit at my loss.

No thanks, change this please or me and others that share my opinion will leave as well, which, for paying players like me = less profit to PWE
    ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3 mobo, Intel i7 2600k, 32gb DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws, 500gb SSD, 2TB HDD, Geforce GTX 690 x2 Sli, 1200 watt Thermaltake modular PS, Thermaltake gaming tower.