test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion: Level locking

lifedoorlifedoor Member Posts: 34
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I would like to be able to twink. I have some friends that would play for a long time if they could. I would prefer if the buff to 9's in BGs is something you guys stick with if you allow level locking. The main reason people complain about twinking is gear and the knowledge for legally "exploiting" things. The 10-19s bracket, as it is, has some decent balance compared to other games outside of max level.
GWFs need damage buffs, and clerics need healing buffs. To top off the insane control from 2 CW's should be reduced. Rogues are not that hard to deal with as they could be.
If you guys do not intend to keep the buff to 19, I would really love it if you guys could make some sort of system that if someone is a '9 that everyone in there is buffed to their level.

I wrote this on the way out, thanks for reading
Jonias
Post edited by lifedoor on

Comments

• Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh dear gods no. Twinking is the worst thing in mmo's. Nothing but a e-peen, look at me I can dominated lower level players.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• Options
    edited May 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    Oh dear gods no. Twinking is the worst thing in mmo's. Nothing but a e-peen, look at me I can dominated lower level players.

I figured that flame would come. If they make it more fair it isn't. Not like the 9's aren't op just because anyways. They could do a Gear Score max or so many points in each stat before we stop gaining stats in BGs. Also, yes, a lot of twinks are just epeen ***hats. doesn't mean that we all are. I like the challenge of having set skills rather than a large choice. Though, you don't have that many skills here overall. Just minor player choice. And I do like the small gear grind for twinks more than the carrot on a stick grind fest for max levels. To add to that, when expansions come, you don't have to level to the new cap etc.
  • Options
    xxxretsopmixxxretsopmi Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not to flame but the whole "I want to twink cause it's fun and I want to fight other twinks" is a lie. Everything knows why people twink. Everyone also knows that anytime a company makes a system so twinks can fight other twinks, that system goes unused because if the players really wanted an equal fight, they would of leveled up.

The money companies lose because of twinks in the low level brackets always out weights the needs of the few people who find it enjoyable.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Not to flame but the whole "I want to twink cause it's fun and I want to fight other twinks" is a lie. Everything knows why people twink. Everyone also knows that anytime a company makes a system so twinks can fight other twinks, that system goes unused because if the players really wanted an equal fight, they would of leveled up.

The money companies lose because of twinks in the low level brackets always out weights the needs of the few people who find it enjoyable.

I find it very enjoyable. Just because "no one will use it" yeah bull ****. I use it a lot, and ENJOY it. Thanks for stereotyping us all. Also, did you read my whole post? Nope.

Here, I will stereotype everyone who dislikes twinks:
    Sees level locking/twinking in thread name.
    Immediate post on how terrible of a player the OP is.

Also, I usually play the worst class in the bracket to prove to other twinks that the class is not as bad as they say.
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So many people hate twinking because they should be able to PvP while leveling. They want to be able to hit quests, then hit a dungeon, then hit the arena. The lower level brackets are only even there to help people get used to the game and their new class.

A game with twinks is like a game of T-ball where the 8yos have to play against the 20yos. Pick on people your own gear level, let the lowbies play T-ball. Wanna be a big boy PvPer? That is what the upper levels are for.

And you have set skills. You only can play with 4. Anyone who makes that complaint here doesn't want set skills, they want a shallow class selection with zero customization.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    futrix wrote: »
    So many people hate twinking because they should be able to PvP while leveling. They want to be able to hit quests, then hit a dungeon, then hit the arena. The lower level brackets are only even there to help people get used to the game and their new class.

A game with twinks is like a game of T-ball where the 8yos have to play against the 20yos. Pick on people your own gear level, let the lowbies play T-ball. Wanna be a big boy PvPer? That is what the upper levels are for.

And you have set skills. You only can play with 4. Anyone who makes that complaint here doesn't want set skills, they want a shallow class selection with zero customization.

So, in a dnd game, the ONLY focus should be max level? Right, here I was thinking that dnd was about "ooh, next level! Thanks for the fun game night!" etc

futrix, please don't tell me about how low level is ONLY a tutorial. Because that is a lie.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Also, to those who complain about rogues with 100% dodge, Blizzard hotfixed this with making everyone under 35, have their stats scale as if they were 35. (I don't think haste works like that in WoW though.)

Yeah yeah, this isn't WoW. Doesn't mean that they cant attempt to fix things in a similar manner.
  • Options
    shado152shado152 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lifedoor wrote: »
    So, in a dnd game, the ONLY focus should be max level? Right, here I was thinking that dnd was about "ooh, next level! Thanks for the fun game night!" etc

futrix, please don't tell me about how low level is ONLY a tutorial. Because that is a lie.

First of all no D&D is all about the story which youd have to lvl up for anyways, secondly lets face it if twinks wanted to play games for the combat their are a plethra of lobby based PVP games that are nothing but pvp and everyone can in some of these games be the exact same character and it would do nothing but rely on the persons skills. Id have to agree that twinking is nothing but epeen just cause theres no be gained from it except bragging rights.
    Beta Testing Pending
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vandsmithvandsmith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i had to google "twink"
    after reading the first entry, i had to search again.

it seems really stupid.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't know how you can make it fair. If you can lock the XP bar, you could farm and/or buy all the best blues, socket them with purple runes, and pretty much kill any leveler who sets foot into the arena without any effort. I know it is fun (for one side), since I used to have a twink in that other game, years back, but it isn't really enjoyable for those who are on the receiving end.

I, too, currently prefer the sub-60 PvP to the 60 PvP (very short time-to-kill, dying in a stunlock, chain CC/silence, etc.), but that is precisely because there is no huge power or gear gap. So, kind of torn on this, because I know why it's fun (especially the gearing up part and optimizing the items, without having to do epics and all that), but overall I think it's a bit of a form of bullying and wouldn't give new players a good impression of the game.

It's pretty much having fun at the expense of others.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    random1285random1285 Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2013
    I am for this on the condition that half of someone's alleged "prowess" isn't based on how well they've bankrolled their low lvl pvp character. No abuse please, thanks. I'm for it because I'm semi-casual, and though I love pvp, I don't want to be tossed into the shark tank at cap where I might be fodder for one team and a liability for the other. I would appreciate the chance to accumulate tokens in a more equal setting where people aren't rocking BiS dungeon gear with max rank enchantments.
  • Options
    mrvukmrvuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lifedoor wrote: »
    I would like to be able to twink. I have some friends that would play for a long time if they could. I would prefer if the buff to 9's in BGs is something you guys stick with if you allow level locking. The main reason people complain about twinking is gear and the knowledge for legally "exploiting" things. The 10-19s bracket, as it is, has some decent balance compared to other games outside of max level.
    GWFs need damage buffs, and clerics need healing buffs. To top off the insane control from 2 CW's should be reduced. Rogues are not that hard to deal with as they could be.
    If you guys do not intend to keep the buff to 19, I would really love it if you guys could make some sort of system that if someone is a '9 that everyone in there is buffed to their level.

I wrote this on the way out, thanks for reading
    Jonias

Is this another PVP rant? I hate reading this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
  • Options
    random1285random1285 Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2013
    mrvuk wrote: »
    Is this another PVP rant? I hate reading this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>

Then don't read it and go back to dodging telegraphed attacks in scripted content. Thanks.
  • Options
    mrvukmrvuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    random1285 wrote: »
    Then don't read it and go back to dodging telegraphed attacks in scripted content. Thanks.

Better then reading stuff like this. Maybe have something in the title that says "PVP" ? thanks
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    saddly already integrated gearscore and other dumb things into this game... you know in D&D i once played a kobold, mystic theurge... probably the weakest character i ever played ever. He wasn't optimal in any way shape or form...but i found unique ways to make it work. You know i wasnt near as powerful as my friends, BUT that said i was still part of the group, i pulled my weight and that was always good enough.

Whats my point? as long as you are pulling your weight who the **** cares what your gearscore is.... min/maxers are worst thing to happen to mmos. As for twinking... sure i dont care as long as you guys get barred into a twink only battleground. Twinks are inherently detrimental to average player's progression and enjoyment of the game. Twinking is an interesting concept i have no problems with it... but i also dont want a bunch of overgeared players slaughtering people stand no chance.

True twinks want to fight other twinks, so a system that puts twinks into twink only pvp battles seems like it would be fine. Twinks that gripe about this just want to roflstomp people that cant fight back.
  • Options
    thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or.................... just make a level lock, but only allow level locked people to fight level locked people... not hard.
  • Options
    leomutretaleomutreta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Twinkers are people that can only win matches against ill equipped adversaries (generally players that are equipped with lvling greens and even whites).
    That's why they don't play at the 60's bracket.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thewobey wrote: »
    Or.................... just make a level lock, but only allow level locked people to fight level locked people... not hard.

Now this would be a great idea. Sadly, for obvious reasons I doubt many 'Twinkers' would want to take advantage of this......
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rift tried level locking after all the twinkies (I miss twinkies) cried. It will be fair the players said. Rift did away with level locking at the next major update, because low level pvp became unbalanced. They replaced it with a mentoring system. I'd rather see that.
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    D&D is about leveling your character..this isn't WoW.

God yet another reason why I didn't want PVP in this game.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    mutepoint1mutepoint1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    D&D is about the journey, and the story of the journey. It is cooperative writing with not always predictable results. A good party will nearly always end up with a good story. And if you can keep track of who said and did what, you could probably publish it.

Of course... you might have "That guy" in your group... The one that either kills, steals from, or impregnates every NPC that you find... Or cracks jokes while the big bad is giving his speech about how powerless everyone is to stop him.

If you cut off level progression, you cut off story progression. Yes, you may have played through the story already, maybe even more than once... But if you stay in character, it will be a new experience every time.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    shado152 wrote: »
    First of all no D&D is all about the story which youd have to lvl up for anyways, secondly lets face it if twinks wanted to play games for the combat their are a plethra of lobby based PVP games that are nothing but pvp and everyone can in some of these games be the exact same character and it would do nothing but rely on the persons skills. Id have to agree that twinking is nothing but epeen just cause theres no be gained from it except bragging rights.

But lobby games are s***. And the diversity in being classes is what makes it fun for most of us who don't just brag and grief people.

Twinks are given such a s***y appearance because of a few of us. Also, when someone says "the majority of you quit twinking when they added exp lock in wow! we know this because of the long queue times!" To be fair, there never were that many twinks. And when you get rid of the 0-9's in grays and whites, it tends to slow down the queue, a LOT.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    random1285 wrote: »
    I am for this on the condition that half of someone's alleged "prowess" isn't based on how well they've bankrolled their low lvl pvp character. No abuse please, thanks. I'm for it because I'm semi-casual, and though I love pvp, I don't want to be tossed into the shark tank at cap where I might be fodder for one team and a liability for the other. I would appreciate the chance to accumulate tokens in a more equal setting where people aren't rocking BiS dungeon gear with max rank enchantments.

Thank you for understanding.

Rift GSB relic rank 6 prestiege guild pre-mades anyone?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I am not even 60 yet. So no, it is not... Please don't assume these things. I was just stating what I think would better the level 10-19 bracket. Though if they allow level locking, I will be there.

People assume "oh, twink? oh yeah. Those guys who hack games and cheat their way to killing a level 1 that just started."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Better then reading stuff like this. Maybe have something in the title that says "PVP" ? thanks

Uh... Most twinks outside of WoW private servers do not enjoy pve over pvp.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    saddly already integrated gearscore and other dumb things into this game... you know in D&D i once played a kobold, mystic theurge... probably the weakest character i ever played ever. He wasn't optimal in any way shape or form...but i found unique ways to make it work. You know i wasnt near as powerful as my friends, BUT that said i was still part of the group, i pulled my weight and that was always good enough.

Whats my point? as long as you are pulling your weight who the **** cares what your gearscore is.... min/maxers are worst thing to happen to mmos. As for twinking... sure i dont care as long as you guys get barred into a twink only battleground. Twinks are inherently detrimental to average player's progression and enjoyment of the game. Twinking is an interesting concept i have no problems with it... but i also dont want a bunch of overgeared players slaughtering people stand no chance.

True twinks want to fight other twinks, so a system that puts twinks into twink only pvp battles seems like it would be fine. Twinks that gripe about this just want to roflstomp people that cant fight back.

Finally! Someone who sees anything! I would only enjoy killing the 0-9's if they were buffed to 19 with decent stats that can compete on a 1v1 ground, and even kill me when I have full BiS.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    leomutreta wrote: »
    Twinkers are people that can only win matches against ill equipped adversaries (generally players that are equipped with lvling greens and even whites).
    That's why they don't play at the 60's bracket.

Lol... SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much wrong with that post. So, your telling me, you want to get max gear to finish the carrot on a stick grind that never ends at max level, just to be roflstomped by someone who is already there? With twinking, you only get different gear when the company messes with the gear at your level.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    Rift tried level locking after all the twinkies (I miss twinkies) cried. It will be fair the players said. Rift did away with level locking at the next major update, because low level pvp became unbalanced. They replaced it with a mentoring system. I'd rather see that.

No... F*** NO! NO MENTORING!

So, you want a level 60 with all their skills maxed out to kill my level 19 that I actually obtained the gear for that level? I will have weaker abilities, and I won't be able to use abilities like the Anvil execute type ability that GFs have, I won't have nearly as many talents, or even passives.

The s***y mentoring system is exactly what level 9 twinks facing 0s in grays and whites is...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    D&D is about leveling your character..this isn't WoW.

God yet another reason why I didn't want PVP in this game.

If there is no pvp in the game, I don't play. You would be surprised how many others think this way when getting a new game. Does Diablo 3 have the PvP it promised for launch? Nope. And its been about a year now. It was supposed to be WITH launch. Also, with D3, they had created it just how they wanted it. Cancelled to redo the whole system in a different way.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mutepoint1 wrote: »
    D&D is about the journey, and the story of the journey. It is cooperative writing with not always predictable results. A good party will nearly always end up with a good story. And if you can keep track of who said and did what, you could probably publish it.

Of course... you might have "That guy" in your group... The one that either kills, steals from, or impregnates every NPC that you find... Or cracks jokes while the big bad is giving his speech about how powerless everyone is to stop him.

If you cut off level progression, you cut off story progression. Yes, you may have played through the story already, maybe even more than once... But if you stay in character, it will be a new experience every time.

Also, level locking is just another part of the journey for me :)
    My twinks never stay at that level. I eventually go to the next bracket, or go to max level to start over with a new character for that bracket.