test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The problem with control wizards

losabralosabra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
we cant control the bosses or two many of our enemies cant be controlled. When i encounter this i am reduced to being a weak striker. I am assuming later on in the development wizards will be strikers or sorcerers will be introduced, but until then if you want a control wizard you cant take away his control ability when you want the content to be difficult.

Control wizards control abilities need to affect everyone equally or you have gimped the entire class. I should be able to lock down an opponant thats the point of control. I can spec for damage but its still nothing like a striker and i am currently putting my points into control aspect anyway. if you want people to play control wizards once striker wizards or sorcerers are released then return our control abilities to us
Post edited by losabra on

Comments

• Options
    joseph23454joseph23454 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is there a forum for questions about @ handles in here somewhere?
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well cant let us stun lock bosses i agree with that, i think what need to do is have chill, and other controls have a stage of effect.

Weak Enemies: are stunned, and have full control effect in fact can be controled at half usual stacks, CC lasts 2x's as long.
    Strong types: can be stunned like they are now, requires building stacks, and can be CC'd normally.
    Boss: cant be stunned or CC'd however, Chill reduces the boss's attack speed, and damage by 1% per stack

Additionally i'd love to see them do the CoH/V system that you know they designed!

Every boss has a magnitude level, using CC on a target won't instantly control them but several CC's in a row will build magnitude. When you build enough magnitude, the boss can be CC'd for a short duration. Was like half duration in CoH/V for arch villians i think.

some ideas.
  • Options
    caidencaiden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you reach higher level dungeons, CW's are relegated to controlling and killing Adds the boss summons. The boss is meant to be attacked by TR's and GWFs.

Don't worry about CCing bosses, you aren't supposed to.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    losabra wrote: »
    we cant control the bosses or two many of our enemies cant be controlled. When i encounter this i am reduced to being a weak striker. I am assuming later on in the development wizards will be strikers or sorcerers will be introduced, but until then if you want a control wizard you cant take away his control ability when you want the content to be difficult.

Control wizards control abilities need to affect everyone equally or you have gimped the entire class. I should be able to lock down an opponant thats the point of control. I can spec for damage but its still nothing like a striker and i am currently putting my points into control aspect anyway. if you want people to play control wizards once striker wizards or sorcerers are released then return our control abilities to us

So you are OP in pvp and against everything else, but you are whining about bosses? Lol what a crock.
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    This is why every boss has adds.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    caiden wrote: »
    When you reach higher level dungeons, CW's are relegated to controlling and killing Adds the boss summons. The boss is meant to be attacked by TR's and GWFs.

This, and we rock at this! Well, i do at least. ;)
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It seems gimmicky to regulate an entire class to 1 duty of killing adds. What happens when they throw a boss that has no adds in there? what do we do then? twiddle our thumbs and cheer? No reason not to have our CC do something vs bosses. Cryptic has proven in the past that they can adapt systems to allow bosses to deal with CC with out making them a pushover. CoH/V did it, Champions did it to a lesser degree... i just dont understand why they would make a class focused on CC then, job them to add duty... i just have no desire to be forced into add killing end game.

If this is way game plays i guess i'll end up waiting on the warlock or something...
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    It seems gimmicky to regulate an entire class to 1 duty of killing adds.

As opposed to having a class that just heals and a class that just tanks? Control has always been a role in party based MMOs, but it was often forgotten because so few bosses could be controlled or had adds, and everything before the bosses was so easy. This isn't "gimmicky" this is a great way to fix control classes so they are always useful. You have GFs that tank the boss, GWFs that DPS and tank the adds, CWs that DPS and control the ADDS, and TRs that DPS the boss, while the DC stands back and makes everyone better at what they are doing with buffs, debuffs, minor controls, and heals. It's fine.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    So you are OP in pvp and against everything else, but you are whining about bosses? Lol what a crock.

I really don't care about pvp, I think CW suck there. My concern is were are all about control, not damage, if our control abilities don't work there's no point to our class. If you know anything about Dungeons and Dragons edition 4 then you have an idea of what they are going to release next. warlock strikers and wizards that are strikers. no one will roll a control wizard when the option for damage is there. I don't want to be add clean up I want to control the battle field as a control wizard in dungeon and dragons does. And for the life of me I cant think of monster that you couldn't use some form of CC on in dungeons and dragons. So I really don't think its an issue. Step out side your box and realize in the d&D world anything was possible with magic.

Add slows if you don't want the bosses frozen reduce his damage when we chill him allow some of the effect to take affect if he fails is saving throw. When the wizards magic takes affect it should be bad for the enemy. The occasional knock back or down or up isn't going to change the outcome of the fight. I'll give you a hint we're going to win eventually.

its up to them mess it up and control wizards will disappear in their place will be the striker wizards, I bet most wizards are already just specking damage without messing with increasing the control aspects of the class anyway, but I like wizards who can do both decently, then we don't have to have a lot of dps but we can still kill like a wizard. lets see what happens.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My concern is were are all about control, not damage, if our control abilities don't work there's no point to our class.

Yes, Control Wizards are Controllers and focus on control, funnily enough. Control abilities do work, they work on adds, which are a very major factor in later boss battles. In fact currently the adds are what make most fights really difficult, not the bosses themselves. Your roll is not diminished in a boss battle, it's made even more important. Nobody cares if the boss is controlled, because the boss is weaksauce with a billion HP. It's controlling the 500 adds that spawn that determines whether you win or wipe.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    astazia wrote: »
    This is why every boss has adds.

^^^^^^^^This ^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yea seriously this is by and large the least of my concerns as a CW. Every dungeon I am top DPS from the huge amounts of AOE I dish out. I even like it when there's a second CW there in the party more than 2 rogues simply because we AOE mow through everything. Then when adds do come out on bosses not only can we continue to CC those but we also keep our damage up because we're AOEing everything down in big packs.

Really don't understand the gripe. By far one of the best classes in game.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes, Control Wizards are Controllers and focus on control, funnily enough. Control abilities do work, they work on adds, which are a very major factor in later boss battles. In fact currently the adds are what make most fights really difficult, not the bosses themselves. Your roll is not diminished in a boss battle, it's made even more important. Nobody cares if the boss is controlled, because the boss is weaksauce with a billion HP. It's controlling the 500 adds that spawn that determines whether you win or wipe.

being a control wizard I care, I want my signature abilities to work on all enemies ala dungeons and dragons. I am not coming from an MMO perspective I am coming from a D&D perspective. If the devs wish this game to be any old mmo then keep going if they want it flavored with the pen and paper game then they need make sure the wizard abilities work on all enemies in some fashion.
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If you could control the bosses why would anyone play another class, aside from maybe rogue?

No need to tank it if it's controlled, no need to worry about heals if everything is controlled potions would suffice for the odd time you get hit cause you didn't teleport at the right time.

A 5 man party of control wizards or a 3 control wizards and 2 rogues would trivialize all the content in teh game if you could CC bosses.
  • Options
    serotonergicserotonergic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    losabra? What level are you? Why are you crying? Our AoE damage alone is great. On top of that our CC is useful even if you can't use it on bosses. Like others have said, it's the adds that are the real threat in boss fights.
  • Options
    primalfenrilprimalfenril Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »

OP in PvP and everything else huh? lolol
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    caiden wrote: »

Basically this
  • Options
    igrat420igrat420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A good Dungeon Master would not allow anyone to do what ever they please. Most of what you can or cannot do is regulated to the gameplay experience, ie the story, regardless if its pen & paper or a video game. A good DM has the ability to adapt, adjust and alter a story when someone chooses to do something "disruptive". A good DM will also introduce alternatives, side stories, or NPC actions/reactions when they have an intended story for the players to experience. There's a tremendously huge difference between just a DM role and the programmed game play in a video game; an 8 year old's imagination could never be predictable enough to have a scripted experience whereas the video game must be programmed to follow a chain of events.

Using "crowd control" is one of the most important factors to gaming regardless of pnp or on a PC. It's actually even more important in most well ran pnp campaigns; only a fool would say Web was useless. Even then, the roleplay that's frequently used in pnp sessions usually devolves into "crowd control" when negociating with an NPC.

Think out side the box.

In this game, the CW is just as important as any other role. Quick thinking and good reaction times can make the difference of needing a heal or needing a resurection. Mitigate the MOB's ability to defeat the players by selective nuking and broad crowd control.

Too many people want to play games putting themselves first and forgeting it's entirely about teamwork.

I'm enjoying playing a Control Wizard although I've only reached level 25.
  • Options
    tharlodintharlodin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As opposed to having a class that just heals and a class that just tanks? Control has always been a role in party based MMOs, but it was often forgotten because so few bosses could be controlled or had adds, and everything before the bosses was so easy. This isn't "gimmicky" this is a great way to fix control classes so they are always useful. You have GFs that tank the boss, GWFs that DPS and tank the adds, CWs that DPS and control the ADDS, and TRs that DPS the boss, while the DC stands back and makes everyone better at what they are doing with buffs, debuffs, minor controls, and heals. It's fine.

This...this..this. CW's aren't pure DPS, not supposed to be. We are add control with a decent helping of DPS on the side.

So what if we can't lock down bosses? Isn't that what the GW is for, controlling the boss?

The only time this is really ever an issue is solo quest bosses. It definitely makes things more challenging. But the handful or so times that I've run into this so far I've been able to handle by using my dodge and pots. Makes for a long fight but I don't want everything to be faceroll, ya know?

I do like the idea of incorporating some light CC like from CoH/V but isn't a deal breaker for me.
  • Options
    sironkcucksironkcuck Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    even tho this belongs in the class section il still give my 2 cents: they should REALLY allow us to put our chill debuffs on boss's even if it does nothing that way our talents scale for single target damage on boss's instead of easy mobs or maybe give boss's a small attack speed debuff
  • Options
    mystmysteriummystmysterium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually wanted a pure DPS dealing mage. I did not really see any option other than CW. I guess I am playing the game wrong. Ouch!

Peace, Myst
  • Options
    archimedicarchimedic Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well cant let us stun lock bosses i agree with that, i think what need to do is have chill, and other controls have a stage of effect.

Weak Enemies: are stunned, and have full control effect in fact can be controled at half usual stacks, CC lasts 2x's as long.
    Strong types: can be stunned like they are now, requires building stacks, and can be CC'd normally.
    Boss: cant be stunned or CC'd however, Chill reduces the boss's attack speed, and damage by 1% per stack

some ideas.

Yes +1 certainly this! This is one of the reasons i Deleted my CW to level a TR in it's place, cause TR can CC too but does a TON more damage.
  • Options
    valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i wish AOE attacks actually damaged everything inside the circles. looking at Clerics. The description says deals damage in a wide area aka inside the circles you put on the ground. Sadly only 4 out of the 20 mobs inside it got hit. Same with chains. only hits 4 targets. bummed. You're removing the fun when you're taking out the aoe part of aoe attacks.
  • Options
    arachonianarachonian Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If CW is meant to deal with adds only then I'd like to see how well the boss fight mechanics designed by PW in order for one to say "it's worthy for me to spend time and effort to play this class".

At some point, players who play other than CW, will be able to deal with adds w/o having a CW in their party and then what ? reroll i guess ???
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ray of Enfeeblement, spec it, put three points in it then learn it, love it, tab slot it for bosses.
  • Options
    v1510n5v1510n5 Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    You're not supposed to be able to CC bosses. That would make most encounters far too easy.

The way I see it, Control Wizards are supposed to handle the adds and throw a few spells at the boss when the opportunity arises.

Control Wizards should NOT be given to much burst damage since this will lead to class homogenisation which plagued WoW. The classes should all have different roles.

You can't have your cake and eat it.
  • Options
    lone1egendlone1egend Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have zero problems as a CW being on "Add" duty and dealing with them when they spawn, in fact I rather enjoy it. The problem lays in when there are no adds spawned for durations of time (I don't know if that will change at 60, I'm only 26 at the moment; thanks to limited play time cause of work). If at 60 in Epic Dungeons there is a constant flow or pretty consistent flow of adds I'll be happy.

Although I do think there needs to at least need to be the ability to get stacks of "Chill" on Boss Mobs. It sucks when there are no adds and I know I am doing sub par DPS on a Boss because I have zero stacks of Chill on them. I am constantly panning my camera looking for adds just so that I can feel useful again.
  • Options
    j0eyj0j0j0eyj0j0 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lone1egend wrote: »
    Although I do think there needs to at least need to be the ability to get stacks of "Chill" on Boss Mobs.

Don't forget about the "Snap Freeze" damage feat as well. While it's a little lackluster since it's only cold damage, it's definitely worth considering if you're looking to boost your boss damage output.
  • Options
    romequietusromequietus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can switch out your abilities anytime....
  • Options
    losbin68losbin68 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 79
    edited May 2013

sorry to tell you it does not change. We do more damage but our control time is no longer than 1 sec and if we use those control abilities we get almost as bad agro as clerics